Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 4 weeks ago #115734

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Thank you received: 482
Hi Guidesters!
Here's an idea we want to share will you guys:
(from Talent Showcase Writers)

InsidiousCynic: I just had an idea. What if we had a story on the showcase where writers take turns writing different chapters? Has that ever been tried before?

Yo, what if we each were in charge of a single character, writing from that character's point of view for a chapter? The different writing styles would reflect the changes in perspectives.

sci_geeek: Hmm...how about we do it this way:
1. Each person who will be part of this project will develop a character.
2. That person will then write in the perspective of their character (1st person narrative) when it's the their turn to write a chapter.
3. We don't really get to plan ahead. For example, let's say Joy might write her chapter and then the next writer has their character ask her character out or something Lol. What happens next is up to the next person who's supposed to write...
We have to decide what it's going to be about, though. Maybe a small community where everyone knows each other -- a little church school, maybe? And it can be about judging others, since the characters don't know what really is going on in the other characters' lives (the readers do, ofc). Tell me what yall think

BookwormJo:
We’d have to make a list of who’s participating and when they’re to write, make a minimum length for chapters, get a topic for the story, make a few rules for the story (like if someone get bored of writing, they can’t just say « Then the whole world exploded. The End »)
and figure out how long the story should be.

Let's set the rules and make a list of who's participating here!

-- sci_geeek
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 4 weeks ago #115780

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
So? What do yall think?

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115805

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Thank you received: 707
sci_geeek wrote:
So? What do yall think?
Sounds great...but InsidiousCynic's plan can be summed in one word: overanalyzation.

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115808

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Thank you received: 275
Wow! Very detailed. Great. Now we just need to plan the plot . . .
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115811

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
Who's in?
Wait . . I just got an idea. Each person should post a few details about their character. That way, the other writers would know what a different character would or wouldn't do. Does that make sense?
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115813

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
And for multi-character interactions, it'd definitely be helpful to have a guide on the other characters.

Hmm . . . should we consult other writers before writing a scene that includes the other characters?

#greatmindsthinkalike

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115814

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
sci_geeek wrote:
So? What do yall think?
Can't wait!!! :cheer: :woohoo: :silly: :P B)
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

#greatmindsthinkalike

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115817

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
One major problem: #3 is supposed to tell #1 what she is writing in Ch.3, so #1 can start writing Ch.4. How is #3 supposed to know about Ch.3 without knowing what #2 is going to write about Ch.2?

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115823

• JoyBaker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Psalm 145:3
  • Thank you received: 233
Interesting, Insidious C. I want to participate. But, I think I would only be able to write one chapter.
I’d like to be writing close to the end when you all figure everything out.

glowtxt.com/
#Talentshowcasewriter
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.
Psalm 145:3

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115828

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
BookwormJo wrote:
And for multi-character interactions, it'd definitely be helpful to have a guide on the other characters.
Committee: Develop your character. Give us the following information about him/her: their first and last names, a detailed description of their appearance, a description of how they talk, their specific tics and tendencies, how they come across to other people, and a simple description of your character's backstory (specify whether or not the other characters will know of this backstory and if so, which characters and how much of it).

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115829

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
Can't wait!!!
Earlier I suggested we set the story in someplace like a small church school. So I'm thinking...if Writer 3 has to go to his grandfather's funeral in Greece, and can't write his corresponding chapter, we can have someone else in the Committee write a chapter in the teacher's perspective. To make it less odd that there's a chapter in the teacher's pov, we can once in a while throw in a chapter in the teacher's pov even if no one's vacationing in Timbuktu or laid up in the hospital with viral pneumonia and two broken legs (ouch).
Does this work??

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115837

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
Earlier I suggested we set the story in someplace like a small church school.
Where would the church school be located? How many children go there? What season? What would be the basic climax?

#greatmindsthinkalike

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115841

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
InsidiousCynic wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
One major problem: #3 is supposed to tell #1 what she is writing in Ch.3, so #1 can start writing Ch.4. How is #3 supposed to know about Ch.3 without knowing what #2 is going to write about Ch.2?
I would assume that all the writers would be corresponding with one another about the contents of the first thee chapters before the schedule begins. I didn't see any need to include pre-schedule planning since it was just an example.
Understood

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115842

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
InsidiousCynic wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
So? What do yall think?
Sounds great...but InsidiousCynic's plan can be summed in one word: overanalyzation.
Well excusez-moi for being thorough. :silly:
Haha sorry
Yeah, but there's a chance of someone writing something that might not sit right with the others. How would we tend to that?

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115855

• Kiv24133
  • Axolotls are cool
  • Thank you received: 57
I'm not good at writing a story but I could give you guys an idea of how the story should go.

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115868

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
sci_geeek wrote:
Can't wait!!!
Earlier I suggested we set the story in someplace like a small church school. So I'm thinking...if Writer 3 has to go to his grandfather's funeral in Greece, and can't write his corresponding chapter, we can have someone else in the Committee write a chapter in the teacher's perspective. To make it less odd that there's a chapter in the teacher's pov, we can once in a while throw in a chapter in the teacher's pov even if no one's vacationing in Timbuktu or laid up in the hospital with viral pneumonia and two broken legs (ouch).
Does this work??
Sure!

#greatmindsthinkalike

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115873

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
InsidiousCynic wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Can't wait!!!
Does this work??
Of course it works; you're the leader :). Can I be the teacher? I'm a fast writer, I'm not going anywhere, I have no life and very few commitments, and I have no plans of ever visiting Timbuktu.
Sure!!!!

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115874

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
Kiv24133 wrote:
I'm not good at writing a story but I could give you guys an idea of how the story should go.
We'd love ideas! Thx Kiv!!!

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115883

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
Hmmm...it might be a lot smoother if each writer focuses on a certain character. The chapter could be from that character's pov.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115888

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
InsidiousCynic wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
We also should have a system to show others' approval. We can't have one person doing his or her own thing.
Yeah, I think that writers should explain what they plan to do in advance, so others can approve. We should also make it so that we can edit each other's work, to weed out grammatical errors and plot inconsistencies. We could post our chapters here, then edit, and then post the official version on the talent showcase. We could post the unfinished work under the "Hidden text" feature, so that only Guidesters can see it; kind of like a "VIP sneak peak" kind of thing. Man, I'm taking this way too seriously. If only was this passionate about my homework...
Ahh, don't worry about taking this too seriously. Because of it, this is going to be epic!

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115889

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
InsidiousCynic wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Can't wait!!!
Does this work??
Of course it works; you're the leader :). Can I be the teacher? I'm a fast writer, I'm not going anywhere, I have no life and very few commitments, and I have no plans of ever visiting Timbuktu.
And how about the teacher is a guy...idk it's just that in my own guy teachers are more fun XD

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115890

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
BookwormJo wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
So? What do yall think?
Can't wait!!! :cheer: :woohoo: :silly: :P B)
No such thing as too many emojis.

People, plz don't quote this post so we don't get off topic here XD

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115891

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
Ok, so earlier someone was asking how we'd know in advance what another writer would be writing in their corresponding chapter. I have an idea. When I write my books, since I detest making outlines, I make what's called an "annotated table of contents." Here's what it looks like:

Chap. 1: Next-Door Cousins
--The Sheridan kids unsuccessfully make doughnuts to welcome their cousins, the Keens arrive,
and are introduced to the Sheridans.

Chap. 2: Putting Up...
--The Sheridan kids come to walk to school with the Keen kids, Riley makes fun of Jared for
being a Christian after she finds out he’s gifted, Mark decides to invite Anthony for a bike ride,
and Alyssa invites Kyla to visit the local nursing home. Alyssa tells Kyla her idea for “Project
Maryanne,” and later finds out Kyla claimed it as her own.

Chap. 3: ...With the Keens
--Freya advises Alyssa to talk to Kyla about the situation, and Riley annoys Jared further. Mark
takes Anthony to a Pathfinder meeting, and on the way there, Jared runs into a railing. Riley
catches it on camera.

(Of course, this one is already obsolete -- I wrote it before I changed the setting to 1995 and the railing thing doesn't happen in the version yall have been reading). You guys get the point, I think. But since it's a whole group of us, let's do it like this:
Writer One writes the annotation for chapter 1. Then it has to be approved. After that, Writer Two writes the annotation for chapter 2. Then it has to be approved, and so forth. Basically, each writer writes the annotation for their corresponding chapter (that they write the annotation doesn't mean they have already written the chapter, plz realize), but it has to be approved by the rest of the Committee.
Also, we need to determine how many chapters, roughly, this book will have. That way we can choose what and at what point in the series the climax will be, and also so we can build up to it in the preceding chapters.
-- sci_geeek

<> <> <>

The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115892

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
sci_geeek wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
Committee: Develop your character. Give us the following information about him/her: their first and last names, a detailed description of their appearance, a description of how they talk, their specific tics and tendencies, how they come across to other people, and a simple description of your character's backstory (specify whether or not the other characters will know of this backstory and if so, which characters and how much of it).
Y'all, don't forget to do this...

<> <> <>

Multiple-Author Book Committee 11 months 3 weeks ago #115904

• ItzPeachy_Lemon
  • Artistic-GAMER GUR-INFULENCER-hehee-ANIME
  • Thank you received: 13
Its a good Idea!
Your amazing just remember that! Jesus thinks so too! :D

{Itz_PeachyLemon}
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds