Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alcohol and the Christian

Alcohol and the Christian 1 month 1 week ago #89746

• m13
  • Wow!
  • Thank you received: 4
"God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good." That was a part of Genesis 1:31.
Now God made everything, all the physical things you can touch and see, and all the invisible laws of the universe (gravity and other physics).
Now, we have grapes, really anything with natural sugar, something you can touch, and fermentation. I mean I guess you could kinda see something ferment, but not really. With the verse in mind, we now know that grapes are good and come from good, but is fermentation good? I mean, God made it so that happens when foods like grapes get older.

Apparently, in Jewish culture, it was normal to drink wine in moderation. Remember when Jesus turned water into wine in John 2? The master of the feast said, "you have kept the good wine until now!" What I found was that at a wedding feast, they would drink the best wine (most alcoholic) first, then the inferiors are the newer wines. If Jesus had just made grape juice, it would not have been considered the best.

So Jesus just made alcoholic wine, is that bad? It's impossible for Jesus to do something bad, here's a verse from Ecclesiastes 9:7, "Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works."

So, Daniel 1. Daniel and his friends chose not to drink wine, just water and veggies, yet they looked the best afterward. Here, we see that God blesses our bodies gives us for choosing a healthy diet, treating our bodies as the temple of God. I believe that it's better for us like the Jews to drink moderately or not at all.

"Do not get drunk on wine," as it says in Ephesians 5:18, "which leads to reckless indiscretion. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." I don't think this verse is saying drinking alcohol is a sin, but rather being drunk is not a good idea. How can you show the world how God is like through you if you can't even say a sentence without slurring? There are a few stories in the Bible that I can remember where alcohol is abused. Noah gets drunk, leading to him becoming naked, and Ham seeing him. Lot's daughters got him drunk, and they did an unspeakable act. David tried to cover up his sin by getting Uriah drunk and go back to his wife.

So I think what we can gather from all this, is that God gave us grapes and he gave us wine too. We should not abuse this gift, like any other gift we are given. It can cause liver damage, but only really when we abuse it. When we get drunk so often, we start to rely on it. When we become alcoholics, it's time to stop.

Matthew 5:29-30 says, "If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to depart into hell."
The same should go for alcohol. If it causes you to sin, stop drinking it. If you fear that you may end up as an alcoholic, then don't drink it. We won't be punished for not drinking alcohol, but we sure will be if we don't repent for sins committed because of our alcohol consumption. We should not judge our brothers and sisters for drinking alcohol in a respectful manner, but if they start to abuse it, we should get them the help they need.
"But now I am writing you not to associate with anyone who claims to be a brother but is... a drunkard... With such a man do not even eat." A bit of 1 Corinthians 5:11. This verse should not discourage you to help a brother who can't control himself, but be careful of who you hang out with.

Please feel free to talk with me on the subject, if you disagree with me, or agree with me, I'd love to hear what other young Christians think on this subject. I know it's a long read, but I think it's important to know for your life on this earth.
I was also going to talk about wine during the last supper, but this is already a long read, and I didn't know where to put it. So tell me whether I should make another topic on it, or we can just disuss it through replies too. God bless everybody.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro, endershadow112

Alcohol and the Christian 1 month 6 days ago #90033

• bush possum
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Thank you received: 1215
One major point that I disagree with you on is the fermentation point. I don't believe that God is the Creator of fermentation, because He made everything good. Fermentation is : the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat
Fermentation is something going rotten, essentially. I don't think God designed that to happen, just like I don't believe He designed animals to kill and eat one another.
:)
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro, im a beekeeper

Alcohol and the Christian 1 month 6 days ago #90034

bush possum wrote:
One major point that I disagree with you on is the fermentation point. I don't believe that God is the Creator of fermentation, because He made everything good. Fermentation is : the chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat
Fermentation is something going rotten, essentially. I don't think God designed that to happen, just like I don't believe He designed animals to kill and eat one another.
:)
Exactly, the wine was not fermented. It was more like grape juice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

Alcohol and the Christian 1 month 1 hour ago #90279

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 617
Fermentation was never part of God’s plan, because God never intended for things to rot. Also, just because God made it doesn’t mean it’s okay for us to consume it. God created the tobacco plant, did He not? But He didn’t intend for us to smoke it. I think it’s the same for fermented wine.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, bush possum, LolingforJesus

Alcohol and the Christian 4 weeks 2 days ago #90305

• m13
  • Wow!
  • Thank you received: 4
Yeah you're right. God made things perfect so that there wouldn't be any waste. We sinned and death, rot, and waste appear now. So my point should be that, God's people incorporated wine into their festivals and celebrations, which were given by God with specific instructions. The wine they used, however, were not so fermented you'd get drunk really fast, but they'd also never drink to get drunk. So yes, alcohol isn't needed anymore now that we have the technology to make sure grape juice does not ferment. But I hope my main point of alcohol only being a tool to commit sin, and how it's not just consuming it is the sin gets across. Thanks for responding!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds