Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Version of the Bible

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55049

• Big al
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Thank you received: 225
Thank You guys for all of Your responses. I think that God being a just and Loving God is happy to see us spead his word in every and all format so that every ear can hear and comprehend his good Works
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55078

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
Big al wrote:
Thank You guys for all of Your responses. I think that God being a just and Loving God is happy to see us spead his word in every and all format so that every ear can hear and comprehend his good Works

That was beautiful.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55175

• RJ
  • Thank you received: 21
There are plenty of great versions of the Bible. KJV is said to be one of the most accurate versions, but most people find it difficult to understand. NKJV is just like KJV, except easier to read. These aren't the only two good translations, though. The ESV is great, too. As a child, I read the Good News Bible and I just loved it.

If you are ever in doubt of the accuracy of a particular translation, compare it with other translations and you'll be fine.

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55225

• Big al
InspiredThinker wrote:
Big al wrote:

That was beautiful.

Thank you
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The following user(s) said Thank You: lianne11

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55263

• kiwi guy
  • Thank you received: 16
the KJV is not the original bible
The following user(s) said Thank You: mknz12, Big al

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55296

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 1944
kiwi guy wrote:

Well duh.... :blink:
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55299

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
I think it would be best to be flexible, and when you are not certain with one version, go to another, particularly between a modern version, and KJV.
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55366

• mylhu1011
  • Thank you received: 25
I prefer the NIV, though my church has recently started using the Message Bible in readings. I personally dislike the Message Bible because it's more of a paraphrase and less of a literal translation. However, everyone should understand that the Protestant Bible, and by extension the KJV, is only an "editor's cut" of the original Apocryphal Bible.

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55368

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
When reading the Bible in different versions, we can see old verses in new perspectives. If we read/hear the same version all the time, the verses can lose their meaning.
- Guilty by Newsboys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55454

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2974
kiwi guy wrote:

Of course not. The "original" bi ble was written in hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55482

• lianne11
  • My new favorite sport!
  • Thank you received: 30
I didn't read all the comments, but this is what I think:
The bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit right? If this is so, then ALL bible are inspired by God, not just the KJV. Sometimes it is best to use a newer version of the bible to understand what is being said, not necessarily what it means, only what is being said.
For example, once I tried to read a book by William Shakespeare, but I couldn't really understand what was going on because the English he spoke, and the English I speak is spoken and written differently. Some words even mean different things.
So basically what I am saying is that all bibles are inspired by the Holy Spirit, and all of them have their uses.

This is my understanding of it, and if you believe different, that is completely up to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker, Violingirl1, Big al

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55491

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
Quirky wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
im a beekeeper wrote:
The kjv is the closest to the original. The other bibles will actually take out whole verses. In the bible it says in several places not to take away from these words or add to them( Revelations 22:19 is one of them) so I wouldn't read others that do exactly that.

Actually, the NIV uses older manuscripts than the KJV, meaning the KJV actually adds verses.

So does older always mean better?

Of course not. Inspiredthinker is arguing that the KJV isn't the only good one, which is very old, so why would he say older is better?
- Guilty by Newsboys

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55492

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
kiwi guy wrote:

Yes, you have a very good point. Everybody, y'all need to learn all the languages the Bible was written in so you can read it in the best form. (Sarcasm)
- Guilty by Newsboys

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55787

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
Mp137 wrote:
Quirky wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
im a beekeeper wrote:
The kjv is the closest to the original. The other bibles will actually take out whole verses. In the bible it says in several places not to take away from these words or add to them( Revelations 22:19 is one of them) so I wouldn't read others that do exactly that.

Actually, the NIV uses older manuscripts than the KJV, meaning the KJV actually adds verses.

So does older always mean better?

Of course not. Inspiredthinker is arguing that the KJV isn't the only good one, which is very old, so why would he say older is better?

Well actually he said, in this case, older is better.

@lianne11 (is your real name lianna? Cause thats a pretty name) I'd have to disagree with you in the fact that all versions of the bible all inspired by God. Their are people out there who don't love God and want to deceive others, so they make changes, very small changes, that alter the meaning of the scriptures. Thats why i was personally so passionate (for lack of a better word) about all of these versions.

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55788

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
tim33 wrote:
@Quirky, Are you in a position to know which Bible version is more accurate? My guess is no- just like myself, we have to rely on second or third hand information. Personally, I'm not sure Walter Vieth is in a position to know either- he's ultimately got all his info from other sources as well.

I get the idea you think that the KJV and every other translation teach fundamentally different things. This is simply not true. As far as the actural meaning of the text goes, the NIV and KJV are virtually identical, the standout difference is the modern language.

@Quirky, I'd suggest you read the NIV, If you can easily find our fundamental beliefs in the NIV- what's wrong with it? And I'll guarrantee that you can establish our beliefs from the NIV.

Do you really think that God only inspired the translation of the KJV? Is it really logical to think that despite the hundreds of modern translations, God has not inspired even one translation that people can understand?

I may get shot down for saying this- But do you really think God is 400 years behind the times- so far behind He can no longer communicate effectively with the average person?

Just a sidenote, while Bibles like the NIV or CEV are translations (Where the Bible has been directly translated from the oldest, most reliable manuscripts) Bibles like the Message or (dare I say it) the Clear Word are paraphases (Where the Bible hasn't been translated but re-written by an author that re-writes each verse according to what he or she thinks the verse means) Therefore, while translations are as accurate to the original text as possible, the paraphases are subjecctive and distorted by indivdual bias, which is okay because they don't claim to be translations.

Idk why i didnt see this before....thats weird

Anywho, thanks for your imput, although i still dont agree with some things. You said that the KJV and NIV were identical, but i disagree. When i look at Matthew 18:22 in both translations, i don't see the same thing.

I didnt think about the thing that you mentioned about Walter Veith. I realize that as human beings we can make human errors, which is why we must ask the Holy Spirit to guide us. I still gotta think about this stuff...

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55839

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
Quirky wrote:
tim33 wrote:
@Quirky, Are you in a position to know which Bible version is more accurate? My guess is no- just like myself, we have to rely on second or third hand information. Personally, I'm not sure Walter Vieth is in a position to know either- he's ultimately got all his info from other sources as well.

I get the idea you think that the KJV and every other translation teach fundamentally different things. This is simply not true. As far as the actural meaning of the text goes, the NIV and KJV are virtually identical, the standout difference is the modern language.

@Quirky, I'd suggest you read the NIV, If you can easily find our fundamental beliefs in the NIV- what's wrong with it? And I'll guarrantee that you can establish our beliefs from the NIV.

Do you really think that God only inspired the translation of the KJV? Is it really logical to think that despite the hundreds of modern translations, God has not inspired even one translation that people can understand?

I may get shot down for saying this- But do you really think God is 400 years behind the times- so far behind He can no longer communicate effectively with the average person?

Just a sidenote, while Bibles like the NIV or CEV are translations (Where the Bible has been directly translated from the oldest, most reliable manuscripts) Bibles like the Message or (dare I say it) the Clear Word are paraphases (Where the Bible hasn't been translated but re-written by an author that re-writes each verse according to what he or she thinks the verse means) Therefore, while translations are as accurate to the original text as possible, the paraphases are subjecctive and distorted by indivdual bias, which is okay because they don't claim to be translations.

Idk why i didnt see this before....thats weird

Anywho, thanks for your imput, although i still dont agree with some things. You said that the KJV and NIV were identical, but i disagree. When i look at Matthew 18:22 in both translations, i don't see the same thing.

I didnt think about the thing that you mentioned about Walter Veith. I realize that as human beings we can make human errors, which is why we must ask the Holy Spirit to guide us. I still gotta think about this stuff...

Matthew 18:22 isn't salvational, and there are footnotes in the NIV that point out the discrepancy. Anyway, the KJV actually has literal misprints, like when Acts 12:4 has the Jews celebrating Easter (which has no significance to the Jews and wasn't established as a Christian holiday yet), or the mistranslation of oxen as unicorns, or the use of words that are considered vulgar in modern English. That's why most people don't even read the 1611. They read the 1769

In any event, the KJV was not intended to be the only good English translation. In the original preface, the translators even wrote "we never thought from the beginning, that we should need to make a new Translation, nor yet to make of a bad one a good one, ... but to make a good one better." Obvious in their statements is their belief that the KJV does not reign supreme, but an improvement on prior translations.

Blessings.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim33, Big al

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55878

• mknz12
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Just another one of God's many beloved daughters!
  • Thank you received: 264
SRNitro wrote:
I prefer the ghetto Bible... :lol: I'M JUST KIDDING! I just found out about this version of the Bible and it's terrible! So someone thought it was funny to take the Bible and then fill it with cuss words and slang. It's absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes, I know, I don't understand all of the meanings of the Bible but I don't need swear words and slang to understand what it is. Who even reads the ghetto Bible?!?!

What the.... XD WHO WOULD DO THAT WOW
////////////////////////////////////////

You keep me steady when the sky is falling
And I'll keep steady after You,
I'll carry on when my strength is failing
Take heart cause You're with me
So let the stars drop,
Whatever comes I'll be ready
You keep me steady

~for KING & COUNTRY, Steady

Version of the Bible 1 year 9 months ago #55906

• tim33
  • I love playing cricket and learning about God
  • Thank you received: 782
I'm not saying that the NIV and KJV are absolutely identical, but that all of our beliefs can be established from either version, and are you really sure that the KJV is right when it's differenct (eg. Matthew 18:22)? It's possible the NIV is right and the KJV is wrong, in fact, that's more likely, as the NIV is based on a much larger range of original mauscripts than the KJV.

Version of the Bible 1 year 8 months ago #55918

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
But there are also some serious problems with the new versions, as some editors feel that they need to adapt the Bible to modern times.

From a documentary I saw, it was said that the word dragon used to be mentioned more than 20 times in the Bible. But in modern versions there are less than ten, and most of them were replaced by lesser animals like a jackal, taking out the essence of the verse. They do this so that the Bible won't be accused for being a mythical book, because it has the word dragon, but in that time, dragon did mean something real, but I don't think that should be done.
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, SILLY KALLIEANN

Version of the Bible 1 year 6 months ago #57930

? really???

Version of the Bible 1 year 6 months ago #57931

thx

Version of the Bible 1 year 6 months ago #57932

horible!

Version of the Bible 1 year 4 months ago #59257

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
Many of us can see the "mistakes" in the Bible versions that come after the KJV. Why? Because the KJV is the most "original" Bible we can find and read in English. And why do we rarely (or never) hear about mistakes in the King James Version? Because very few people can read the languages in which the Bible was originally written. So, without the very first version to compare the KJV with, how will we find differences? We don't. All I'm saying is that I'm sure the KJV is definitely not perfect. We just aren't fully aware of the specific differences/mistakes
- Guilty by Newsboys
The following user(s) said Thank You: mknz12, Quirky

Version of the Bible 1 year 4 months ago #59443

• Big al
I think Maybe we should spend more time enjoying Gods word and less time worrying about the version. We all know God is pretty creative and I think he speaks through all the versions.
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It

Version of the Bible 1 year 3 months ago #59858

• #JesusKnowsMeThisILove
  • Jesus. Purple. Donuts. Mustaches. Family. Friends.
  • Thank you received: 9
I use the NKJV. The NIV excludes important parts in the Bible. Eg. NKJV......Luke 4:4........But Jesus answered him, saying, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." NIV..........Luke 4:4........Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone." :(
You may not have a special life.... But you make life special.
Ps. I got that from a TV show!
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds