Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Version of the Bible

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53120

  • Big al
  • Big al's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Posts: 410
  • Thank you received: 225
If you look at the Poll for this last week you will see that we all seem to like Different Versions of the bible. I have hear around the Adventist Churches that there is only one Version of the bible that actually speaks God's word what do you Guys think? Is it okay to read any version of the bible or do you think only the King James Version? :blink:
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53171

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2189
  • Thank you received: 1945
I have enough trouble understanding the Bible when I read it in modern English. I don't want to make it harder by reading in the KJV Bible. And why would the KJV be the only Bible that speaks God's word?
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al, dmdainty

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53186

  • Blue Tornado
  • Blue Tornado's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Happy birthday, TravelPastel!!!
  • Posts: 998
  • Thank you received: 808
Any version of the Bible is fine, in my opinion. I only prefer the NKJV because it's the one I use for Pathfinders.


"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Animal Jam: Batsey9
Club Penguin: Bat Wen
Roblox: BlueTorn
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al, Pyrrhic

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53240

  • Chickadee
  • Chickadee's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love dogs!!
  • Posts: 273
  • Thank you received: 211
Well
Many modern versions get rid of parts of the bible like the niv
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, sunnyside1, 12pearlygates, #JesusKnowsMeThisILove

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53265

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3714
  • Thank you received: 2992
I prefer the KJV because the other translations are watered down, it they change or remove beautiful truths from the bible. There's a video that this guy named Walter Veith does about bible translations and their roots (origins). Its called Battle of the Bibles. You guys should check it out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 12pearlygates, Goatlover

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53272

  • 12pearlygates
  • 12pearlygates's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I can't live without books. They're my PASSION.
  • Posts: 173
  • Thank you received: 83
personally, i think KJV is the best
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, Pyrrhic

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53284

  • Big al
  • Big al's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Posts: 410
  • Thank you received: 225
Chickadee wrote:
Well
Many modern versions get rid of parts of the bible like the niv

But is it not Valuable to make versions of the bible easiest for people to read and understand?
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53292

  • 12pearlygates
  • 12pearlygates's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I can't live without books. They're my PASSION.
  • Posts: 173
  • Thank you received: 83
Quirky wrote:
I prefer the KJV because the other translations are watered down, it they change or remove beautiful truths from the bible. There's a video that this guy named Walter Veith does about bible translations and their roots (origins). Its called Battle of the Bibles. You guys should check it out.

I agree with your position. ;) Watch the spoiler below.

[spoiler]OMPB! You watch Walter Veith?! That is so awesome![spoiler]
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, sunnyside1

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53298

  • InspiredThinker
  • InspiredThinker's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Posts: 1434
  • Thank you received: 1215
People tend to prefer the KJV because it is the original English translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew (The Wycliffe translation is from Latin). However, the King James was written in the 17th century, so there are many things that are either mistranslated or do not hold the same meaning with 21st Century English. There are many things that must change their wording to better fit modern times.

A good example is the SDA Fundamental belief on marriage. When it was first written, the belief defined marriage as between two partners, as "partners" was a universal term for a straight couple. It was recently rewritten, so that marriage could be defined more clearly as between a man and a woman.

Why would you insist on reading God's Word in a linguistic format you can't understand?
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mknz12, Big al, Mp137

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53312

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2189
  • Thank you received: 1945
Chickadee wrote:
Well
Many modern versions get rid of parts of the bible like the niv

Such as....? Besides, I'm not a fan of NIV
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pyrrhic

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53358

  • Tuftedtitmouse
  • Tuftedtitmouse's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • oh, by the way, im a boy
  • Posts: 168
  • Thank you received: 70
InspiredThinker wrote:
People tend to prefer the KJV because it is the original English translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew (The Wycliffe translation is from Latin). However, the King James was written in the 17th century, so there are many things that are either mistranslated or do not hold the same meaning with 21st Century English. There are many things that must change their wording to better fit modern times.

A good example is the SDA Fundamental belief on marriage. When it was first written, the belief defined marriage as between two partners, as "partners" was a universal term for a straight couple. It was recently rewritten, so that marriage could be defined more clearly as between a man and a woman.

Why would you insist on reading God's Word in a linguistic format you can't understand?

Well, I can understand KJV fine. :dry: If I pray before I read, at least.
before you say im a mouse google tufted titmouse
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 12pearlygates

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53422

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 614
  • Thank you received: 429
I prefer the ghetto Bible... :lol: I'M JUST KIDDING! I just found out about this version of the Bible and it's terrible! So someone thought it was funny to take the Bible and then fill it with cuss words and slang. It's absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes, I know, I don't understand all of the meanings of the Bible but I don't need swear words and slang to understand what it is. Who even reads the ghetto Bible?!?!
IM LOLING FOR JESUS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLROFLROFLROFL
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53435

  • sunnyside1
  • sunnyside1's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ready for God
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 417
Quirky wrote:
I prefer the KJV because the other translations are watered down, it they change or remove beautiful truths from the bible. There's a video that this guy named Walter Veith does about bible translations and their roots (origins). Its called Battle of the Bibles. You guys should check it out.

Another good one is "Sola Scriptura, the Bible and the Bible Alone" by Martin Klein. I know it's for sale on DVD but I'm not sure if you can find it for free online.


I definitely think the KJV is true. Many of the other versions have parts missing or misunderstood. Also, NKJV, NIV, and most of the other versions are written by Catholic scholars and have been changed just enough to cut out truth. Scary.
If anyone has any questions, watch "Sola Scriptura" or "Battle of the Bibles."
Sometimes we worry,
Sometimes we fret.
Sometimes we feel like
We can't move a step.

But God is still with us.
Keep Him in mind.
Trust in Him alway.
He is ever so kind.



The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, 12pearlygates

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53456

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3714
  • Thank you received: 2992
12pearlygates wrote:
Quirky wrote:
I prefer the KJV because the other translations are watered down, it they change or remove beautiful truths from the bible. There's a video that this guy named Walter Veith does about bible translations and their roots (origins). Its called Battle of the Bibles. You guys should check it out.

I agree with your position. ;) Watch the spoiler below.

[spoiler]OMPB! You watch Walter Veith?! That is so awesome![spoiler]


Yes he's super awesome and funny and cool and awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! We have his, like, six hour testimony and it is super awesome and funny and cool and awesome!!!!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53457

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3714
  • Thank you received: 2992
InspiredThinker wrote:
People tend to prefer the KJV because it is the original English translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew (The Wycliffe translation is from Latin). However, the King James was written in the 17th century, so there are many things that are either mistranslated or do not hold the same meaning with 21st Century English. There are many things that must change their wording to better fit modern times.

A good example is the SDA Fundamental belief on marriage. When it was first written, the belief defined marriage as between two partners, as "partners" was a universal term for a straight couple. It was recently rewritten, so that marriage could be defined more clearly as between a man and a woman.

Why would you insist on reading God's Word in a linguistic format you can't understand?

What happened to the Holy Spirit?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sunnyside1

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53499

  • InspiredThinker
  • InspiredThinker's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Posts: 1434
  • Thank you received: 1215
sunnyside1 wrote:
Quirky wrote:
I prefer the KJV because the other translations are watered down, it they change or remove beautiful truths from the bible. There's a video that this guy named Walter Veith does about bible translations and their roots (origins). Its called Battle of the Bibles. You guys should check it out.

Another good one is "Sola Scriptura, the Bible and the Bible Alone" by Martin Klein. I know it's for sale on DVD but I'm not sure if you can find it for free online.


I definitely think the KJV is true. Many of the other versions have parts missing or misunderstood. Also, NKJV, NIV, and most of the other versions are written by Catholic scholars and have been changed just enough to cut out truth. Scary.
If anyone has any questions, watch "Sola Scriptura" or "Battle of the Bibles."

The NIV was written by American Evangelicals, which at the time, were about as anti-Catholic as it got. Same with the NKJV. In addition, all English Bibles have "parts missing or misunderstood." William Tyndale, a major English translator, had to invent multiple English words to put into the English New Testament, including, words like scapegoat and filthy lucre.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53500

  • InspiredThinker
  • InspiredThinker's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Posts: 1434
  • Thank you received: 1215
Quirky wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
People tend to prefer the KJV because it is the original English translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew (The Wycliffe translation is from Latin). However, the King James was written in the 17th century, so there are many things that are either mistranslated or do not hold the same meaning with 21st Century English. There are many things that must change their wording to better fit modern times.

A good example is the SDA Fundamental belief on marriage. When it was first written, the belief defined marriage as between two partners, as "partners" was a universal term for a straight couple. It was recently rewritten, so that marriage could be defined more clearly as between a man and a woman.

Why would you insist on reading God's Word in a linguistic format you can't understand?

What happened to the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit helps us understand what we are reading, but you have to be able to know what you're reading. If I read the Bible in Persian, or Russian, or Karen, do it sit and read something I can't understand and wait on the Holy Spirit, or do I take the initiative and read something I can understand?
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53525

  • sunnyside1
  • sunnyside1's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ready for God
  • Posts: 624
  • Thank you received: 417
Quirky wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
People tend to prefer the KJV because it is the original English translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew (The Wycliffe translation is from Latin). However, the King James was written in the 17th century, so there are many things that are either mistranslated or do not hold the same meaning with 21st Century English. There are many things that must change their wording to better fit modern times.

A good example is the SDA Fundamental belief on marriage. When it was first written, the belief defined marriage as between two partners, as "partners" was a universal term for a straight couple. It was recently rewritten, so that marriage could be defined more clearly as between a man and a woman.

Why would you insist on reading God's Word in a linguistic format you can't understand?

What happened to the Holy Spirit?

That's so true.

This is something that Martin Klein says (he's the guy that made the DVD "Sola Scriptura" that I mentioned earlier),

"Reading KJV isn't hard; it's impossible because spiritual things are spiritually discerned."
I thought that was a neat point. :)
Sometimes we worry,
Sometimes we fret.
Sometimes we feel like
We can't move a step.

But God is still with us.
Keep Him in mind.
Trust in Him alway.
He is ever so kind.



The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53594

  • Big al
  • Big al's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Posts: 410
  • Thank you received: 225
wow wow wow
KJV Bible extremists Hold up

How You ever sat in the sanctuary listening to the offering appeal being made. Asking for money so we can translate bibles into Spanish or maybe Swahili? Why do we do that? So we can Help others around the world to learn about God in their own tongue? If so then why do we insist that everyone should use the KJV when that is in an English that does not exist today? Also in NIV parts of the bible are not Removed. That is a wives tale on the same level as swallowing a seed will make a tree grow in you!

The KJV has some Beautiful colourful language so if you chose to read it good on You, But I strongly believe that NIV and other versions of the bible are acceptable and Worthy to do Gods work.
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker, Mp137

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53615

  • Lloyd101
  • Lloyd101's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • (•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
  • Posts: 578
  • Thank you received: 328
I use the KJV but sometimes I get canfuzzled :pinch:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53616

  • lovenikki7
  • lovenikki7's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 61
  • Thank you received: 21
Big al wrote:
If you look at the Poll for this last week you will see that we all seem to like Different Versions of the bible. I have hear around the Adventist Churches that there is only one Version of the bible that actually speaks God's word what do you Guys think? Is it okay to read any version of the bible or do you think only the King James Version? :blink:
There are so many versions of the Bible I can't name them all. But here's a few:
KJV, NKJV, NIV, Good News Bible (Anglicised & Catholic), NLT (New Living Translation).
You see how there are some Bible versions with specified religions? That means that those versions are interpreted differently, and probably watered down. I suggest that we read the KJV, NKJV, and sometimes the NIV. I know that the King James Version(s) are hard to read, so I suggest asking a parent, elder, pastor, or someone else you trust to help you understand the Bible.
:lol: lovenikki7
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53639

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3714
  • Thank you received: 2992
InspiredThinker wrote:
Quirky wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
People tend to prefer the KJV because it is the original English translation of the Bible from Greek and Hebrew (The Wycliffe translation is from Latin). However, the King James was written in the 17th century, so there are many things that are either mistranslated or do not hold the same meaning with 21st Century English. There are many things that must change their wording to better fit modern times.

A good example is the SDA Fundamental belief on marriage. When it was first written, the belief defined marriage as between two partners, as "partners" was a universal term for a straight couple. It was recently rewritten, so that marriage could be defined more clearly as between a man and a woman.

Why would you insist on reading God's Word in a linguistic format you can't understand?

What happened to the Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit helps us understand what we are reading, but you have to be able to know what you're reading. If I read the Bible in Persian, or Russian, or Karen, do it sit and read something I can't understand and wait on the Holy Spirit, or do I take the initiative and read something I can understand?

You do whatever you want. If God sees fit that you understand His word when its in a different language, then that's between Him and you. I'm not gonna tell you what to do (and guys, if it seems like I'm trying to force the KJV on you, i apologize). I just personally think that the KJV is the best to read and study and I personally don't know if not understanding it is a good reason not to read it. Once again, this is my PERSONAL opinion. Not tryin' to force anything on anyone. There's a lot to know about the different bible translations. That's why I reccomended Walter Veith's video because he could explain it way better than I could.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker, 12pearlygates

Version of the Bible 1 year 11 months ago #53641

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3714
  • Thank you received: 2992
Big al wrote:
wow wow wow
KJV Bible extremists Hold up

How You ever sat in the sanctuary listening to the offering appeal being made. Asking for money so we can translate bibles into Spanish or maybe Swahili? Why do we do that? So we can Help others around the world to learn about God in their own tongue? If so then why do we insist that everyone should use the KJV when that is in an English that does not exist today? Also in NIV parts of the bible are not Removed. That is a wives tale on the same level as swallowing a seed will make a tree grow in you!

The KJV has some Beautiful colourful language so if you chose to read it good on You, But I strongly believe that NIV and other versions of the bible are acceptable and Worthy to do Gods work.

I don't get the part when you said that the KJV used English that doesn't exist today. Can you clarify?

And can you look up Luke 9:56 in the NIV and let me know if it says something close to this?

Luke 9:56-For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (KJV)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Version of the Bible 1 year 10 months ago #53724

  • tim33
  • tim33's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love playing cricket and learning about God
  • Posts: 667
  • Thank you received: 782
@Quirky The whole point behind the King James Version was a William Tyndale expressed it to the preists of his time "If God spare my life, before very long I shall cause a plough boy to know the scriptures better than you do!" In other words, the translation of the Bible was so that the common, average person could read and understand God's word.

The King James Version cannot be understood by the common person today. While spiritual truths may have ot be spiritually discerned, Reading and understanding medieval english is hardly a spiritual truth.

The KJV isn't free of corruption either- because talking about sex was taboo when the KJV was translated, at some points words and sayings replaced literal translations, for example it's my understanding that where the KJV refers to Ruth uncovering Boaz's feet the orginal text says she slept with Boaz.

In reality, God can use any translation to reach anyone. God isn't limited to using just one version.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker

Version of the Bible 1 year 10 months ago #53739

  • 12pearlygates
  • 12pearlygates's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I can't live without books. They're my PASSION.
  • Posts: 173
  • Thank you received: 83
Quirky wrote:
Big al wrote:
wow wow wow
KJV Bible extremists Hold up

How You ever sat in the sanctuary listening to the offering appeal being made. Asking for money so we can translate bibles into Spanish or maybe Swahili? Why do we do that? So we can Help others around the world to learn about God in their own tongue? If so then why do we insist that everyone should use the KJV when that is in an English that does not exist today? Also in NIV parts of the bible are not Removed. That is a wives tale on the same level as swallowing a seed will make a tree grow in you!

The KJV has some Beautiful colourful language so if you chose to read it good on You, But I strongly believe that NIV and other versions of the bible are acceptable and Worthy to do Gods work.

I don't get the part when you said that the KJV used English that doesn't exist today. Can you clarify?

And can you look up Luke 9:56 in the NIV and let me know if it says something close to this?

Luke 9:56-For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (KJV)


Here is Luke 9:56 in NIV:

56 Then he and his disciples went to another village.

B)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds