Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Great Contorversey Discussion

The Great Contorversey Discussion 3 years 2 months ago #41034

• *bjc4christ*
  • God first
  • Thank you received: 98
hey guys this book is probably the best book that will ever be closer to the Bible. i encourage ya'll to read this book and if you are already or have already then maybe we can discuss some of the topics to help each other understand the end-time prophecies...im sure this discussion will be one great study...if there's questions that would like to be asked, we will be here to help you anwser...
'THE BIBLE IS AN ANVIL THAT HAS WORN OUT MANY HAMMERS'...EARLY REFORMER OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH...*
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 10 months ago #42633

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1215
I've read it. It was a terrific book. I'm actually currently re-reading it. What was your favorite chapter?
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: *bjc4christ*

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 10 months ago #43003

• deee133
  • I'M A TWIN
  • Thank you received: 41
I started reading it but I didn't finish it yet. I think that it is a very good book so far :)
"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day"

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 10 months ago #43033

• *bjc4christ*
  • God first
Sanctuary unfolded and the one before that with William Miller
Also after watching the Martin Luther movie, I found that reading it was also very fun :D

And yours?

That book even helped me through me grandfather's death in November 2014 :)
'THE BIBLE IS AN ANVIL THAT HAS WORN OUT MANY HAMMERS'...EARLY REFORMER OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH...*

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 10 months ago #43282

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
My family is also reading it, and I have actually posted some posts concerning some particular parts of the book.

Here are the links:

guidemagazine.org/index.php/forum/33-tot...15-mystery-challenge
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson
The following user(s) said Thank You: *bjc4christ*

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 8 months ago #44668

• Quirky
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2979
I LOVE reading the Great Controversy :woohoo: what's makes it even better is that I know what I'm reading actually happened and its so exciting!!!!!!

@Prov, the GC doesn't rank OVER the bible. It actually points TO the bible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: *bjc4christ*, azur21

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 6 months ago #45936

• Quirky
Oh, and my favorite chapter is the one about Martin Luther and pretty much all of the reformers. It makes you think about your own life and how you truly study God's word and what you would do if you were in their shoes. Can't wait to meet them in heaven! :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: #JesusKnowsMeThisILove

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #47944

• mknz12
  • Just another one of God's many beloved daughters!
  • Thank you received: 264
Prov17 wrote:
*bjc4christ* wrote:
hey guys this book is probably the best book that will ever be closer to the Bible. i encourage ya'll to read this book and if you are already or have already then maybe we can discuss some of the topics to help each other understand the end-time prophecies...im sure this discussion will be one great study...if there's questions that would like to be asked, we will be here to help you anwser...
I though it ranked over the Bible.

If you have questions about the end times read Joel McDermon's book Revelations Made Easy.

Why would it rank over the Bible...??? :S :S No book ranks over God's word...
////////////////////////////////////////

You keep me steady when the sky is falling
And I'll keep steady after You,
I'll carry on when my strength is failing
Take heart cause You're with me
So let the stars drop,
Whatever comes I'll be ready
You keep me steady

~for KING & COUNTRY, Steady
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #47945

• mknz12
Ok I'm going to go ahead and admit that I skipped to the last few chapters about the end times & the new heaven and new earth XD. But my jaw was on the floor after reading just those chapters so I am going to go read it from the beginning! It really made things so clear and it's hard to explain but it's just a good book!! It's that simple!!

So let the stars drop,
You keep me steady

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #48315

• Quirky
Warning: be careful to get the right type of GC book. The 1888 and 1911versions have been altered, adding things to the book that Sister White didn't put in. Also watch out for the blue covered GC book. The 1884 addition is the only legit one.

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #48318

• mknz12
mknz12 wrote:
Prov17 wrote:
*bjc4christ* wrote:
I though it ranked over the Bible.

If you have questions about the end times read Joel McDermon's book Revelations Made Easy.

Why would it rank over the Bible...??? :S :S No book ranks over God's word...

:P Oh, you were being sarcastic lol. I get it now. XD as sarcastic as I am I have no idea how I thought you were serious... good one :lol:

So let the stars drop,
You keep me steady

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #48345

• Cool Cat
  • I love computers and dirt bikes
  • Thank you received: 224
I have not read it.
My website: HighGearMX.simplesite.com
Dirt bikes+computers= :-)

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #48479

• Chickadee
  • I love dogs!!
  • Thank you received: 211
The 1888 and 1911 were later editions written by Sister White. I don't quite get it Quirky?.....
But certainly don get the "modern english" versions like the great hope!

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 4 months ago #48655

• Quirky
Chickadee wrote:
The 1888 and 1911 were later editions written by Sister White. I don't quite get it Quirky?.....

It's kind of hard to explain (not really), but the 1888 and 1911 editions have things in them that Ellen White didn't write. Don't take my word for it though. Compare them yourself and let me know if what I said is true. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chickadee

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 3 months ago #48761

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
Sis. White, according to her grandson, wrote the 1911 edition because she knew her time as a messenger was coming to a close and she wanted the church to have money for expanding its message. The first edition is the 1888.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 3 months ago #48867

• Quirky
InspiredThinker wrote:
Sis. White, according to her grandson, wrote the 1911 edition because she knew her time as a messenger was coming to a close and she wanted the church to have money for expanding its message. The first edition is the 1888.

The first edition was in 1884

[url=http:/https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Controversy_(book)/]Check it out[/url]

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 3 months ago #48985

• Chickadee
  • I love dogs!!
  • Thank you received: 211
Quirky wrote:
Chickadee wrote:

It's kind of hard to explain (not really), but the 1888 and 1911 editions have things in them that Ellen White didn't write. Don't take my word for it though. Compare them yourself and let me know if what I said is true. :)

Oh, i knew that there are things in it that she didn't write in 1884, but i remember reading her biography and it had a chapter about the last version of the Great Controversy, and that Ellen White was very busy in updating and expanding the old version. i don't see that as being bad, but, i dunno, i didnt find anything in it that went against the teachings of the sda church in it, so...um yeah.
but definetly the great hope is vety corrupted, they took out everything about the papacy in it!!!

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 3 months ago #49077

• *bjc4christ*
  • God first
I'm glad that everyone feels encouraged to read the book...and if you look carefully you'll see that the future prophecies are being fulfilled...We need to be on our safeguard...

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 3 months ago #49178

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
Quirky wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:

The first edition was in 1884

[url=http:/https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Controversy_(book)/]Check it out[/url]

Yeah, you were right. It was originally written in 1884, and in 1888 it was published as an independent volume for the first time. Then she revised it again in 1911.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter

The Great Contorversey Discussion 2 years 3 months ago #49201

• Tuftedtitmouse
  • oh, by the way, im a boy
  • Thank you received: 70
I thought she wrote in 1888 and edited in 1914

Me don't want great hope ahhhhhhh!!!!!
Just kidding I don't like the "great hope"
before you say im a mouse google tufted titmouse

The Great Contorversey Discussion 1 year 11 months ago #53305

• Prov17
  • Live holy as God is holy
  • Thank you received: 296
BJC4Christ,

I appreciate your suggestion that started this topic about having a discussion on end times. I also like talk on that topic. I believe the preterist viewpoint that we are in the Millennium. But it's not exactly 1,000 years’ time. It means a long period of time.

I believe that Jesus came back in 70 AD to end the old covenant with Israel. He came back in judgment, and the temple was destroyed by the Romans, and sacrificing was discontinued forever.

Matthew 24:1-3
“Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said to them, ‘Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.’
Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, ‘Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?
’”

In verse 34 He says,
“Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.

A generation is forty years long. Forty years later Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in 70 AD.
Are the things you're living for worth Christ dying for? -Leonard Ravenhill

The Great Contorversey Discussion 1 year 11 months ago #53421

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
Prov17 wrote:
BJC4Christ,

I appreciate your suggestion that started this topic about having a discussion on end times. I also like talk on that topic. I believe the preterist viewpoint that we are in the Millennium. But it's not exactly 1,000 years’ time. It means a long period of time.

I believe that Jesus came back in 70 AD to end the old covenant with Israel. He came back in judgment, and the temple was destroyed by the Romans, and sacrificing was discontinued forever.

“Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said to them, ‘Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.’
Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, ‘Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?
’”

In verse 34 He says,
“Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.

A generation is forty years long. Forty years later Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in 70 AD.

He was prophesying, but Jesus did not mention that He would be back. If he did in fact come back, it would appear in the Bible, and the Disciples would have rejoiced. Still that would be quite problematic in many ways.

1. The disciples would have thought that this was the second coming.

2. Looking back at that, that would mean that the Second Coming all of us Protestants are waiting for, would actually be a Third Coming.

3. There would probably more possible problems that we couldn't imagine of, and maybe even the disciples would have not gone to meet him in 70 A.D, BECAUSE, they were WARNED 40 years earlier about false prophets, and they would believe that Christ was a "false prophet".

Also, Jesus in no way tried to end the covenant with Israel. He did not express any plans to do so.

If He really did end the covenant, that would mean He is a rejecting God, but it was in fact Israel who rejected him.

And then, He established the Church which is the new Israel, to fulfill the mission that Israel failed to do, save the millions of souls throughout the world.
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson

The Great Contorversey Discussion 1 year 11 months ago #53472

• Quirky
Prov17 wrote:
BJC4Christ,

’”

In verse 34 He says,

I have a question and i REALLY hope it doesn't come off as being rude or something. I really want to see your take on it.

Question: How do you know that Jesus came back in A.D. 70 (guys does it matter if we put the "a.d." before or behind the number??? idk)? Because remember in Acts 1:11 it says, "Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."

and 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 says, "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

And in the same chapter that you quoted out of, Matthew 24, it reads,

Behold, I have told you before. Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Matthew 24:25-27

and it says, in verses 29-31

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

That part that's in bold is also referred to in Revelation 6:12-13

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

Since is speaking about the end of time in Matthew 24, and the same sign is given in the six seal of Revelation, it would be safe to assume that these two event things are one.

The darkening of the sun and the blood moon happened in 1780; and the falling stars happened in 1833. These happened well after A.D. 70....
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker, Skite

The Great Contorversey Discussion 1 year 3 weeks ago #62486

• Peach1
  • I love God, my Bible, my family, and my church
  • Thank you received: 86
I haven't read it yet......

The Great Contorversey Discussion 10 months 4 weeks ago #65712

• sekayi_101
  • i am a PK and i love it!
  • Thank you received: 96
I haven't read the 'Great Controversy' yet...but seeing these comments encourage me to do so.
Also, has anyone read 'Messages to Young People'? I've been reading it and it is really good too. :) :cheer: :lol:

Up to the hill of Calvary
My Savior went courageously
and there he bled and died for me
Hallelujah for the cross
-Newsboys Hallelujah For The Cross
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds