Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists??

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 1 month ago #32293

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi Silverstar, could you send me a pic of Mrs. White with the necklace? It would be interesting to see :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 1 month ago #32298

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
  • Thank you received: 185
@faithforever

So how come in Revelation 17:1 and 3-5 it says: "I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters." "And I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." Revelation 17:1, 3-5. And this Woman ( prophetically a apostate church ) Is wearing all these Jewels and makeup, and in Revelation 12:1 the verse is talking about a woman clothed with the sun a moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars. Is the pure woman ( prophetic true church ) is not wearing any jewels or makeup? Please answer this.

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 weeks ago #33166

• tbhorse
  • ♥ Fine Arts for Life ♥
  • Thank you received: 120
I agree. What people of the world think is "beautiful" are magazine models wearing so much makeup you can't see their face. :sick: :kiss:

But I disagree too. I mean, sometimes you want to walk around without people staring at that pimple on your face, so you dab a little bit of makeup on. You're not layering yourself up.

So I'm 75/25-75% of me agrees with you. The other 25% doesn't.
tbh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 1 week ago #33245

I think it's completely fine for Adventists to wear makeup and jewelry, as long as it's not a ridicules amount. True, the bible seems condescending towards gaudy things, but I can promise that most Adventists have braided their hair at some point in their lives, and as you said:

In 1 Timothy, 2:9-10 it says; Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. So if you wanted to get technical, it's biblically wrong to braid your hair... Shame on 90% of the Adventist population.

In another verse, Deuteronomy 22:5, it says; A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God. Every time you, I'm assuming that you're a female, wear a pair of jeans you're disobeying the bible.

The bible is a very strict rule book, picked apart and scoured by millions of people, beliefs, and churches, and honestly most Adventists can't ever hope to follow all of the guidelines inside of it. So, as someone who's been ridiculed for makeup, nail polish, and a variety of other things, I really suggest that you stop and think for a moment and try to understand that we are not living by the little nit picky things anymore. If we still lived like the Israelites, I can garuntee that everyone you know - including yourself - would be stuck banished from entering Canaan with us makeup wearers.
~Nicole~
God loves an atheist more than a hateful Christian
The following user(s) said Thank You: mango, Prince_of_God

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 1 week ago #33280

• Marzan357
  • Thank you received: 2
They want to do as they please, their will, and not God's will. I'm an Adventist myself and I can relate to what you say, I've seen this before
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 1 week ago #33464

I agree with pianoplayer on this topic. Sometimes if the occasion is special, some people might want to add something a little extra. This doesn't mean that they should look completely transformed! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tbhorse

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 4 days ago #33469

• cynthia200
  • Thank you received: 271
cool12 wrote:
The culture was way different back then. People adorned themselves with jewels, lots of make-up,etc to make people look at them and how pretty they looked and to brag. People still buy expensive stuff to show off too, but make-up now in our culture is not really used to show off or whatever.

Today, it is a bit different, i believe that if you wear something not to flashy and its simple (not expensive), such as a watch, or a simple (non expensive) bracelet/or necklace, and you bought it not for show but to just wear for your own happiness/ usefulness (the watch) i think its ok.

I have a simple black bracelet my brother gave me as a gift, and i dont wear it to show off or make people look at me. I wear it because it reminds me of my brother and how kind he was. Which doesn't happen often with brothers!! :)

I personally wear very natural make-up so you really cant tell im wearing it. I would never wear something such as bright purple eye make up etc.

This subject has different opinions for everyone and thats okay! Its a personal decision each person has to make.

Couldn't have said it better. I agree. I wear makeup sometimes, but only natural-looking and lightly. I don't think there's anything wrong with a little makeup, but i definitely DON'T do eyeliner...
~Cynthia~ :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mango

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 11 months ago #33618

Gogirl wrote:
@faithforever

So how come in Revelation 17:1 and 3-5 it says: "I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters." "And I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." Revelation 17:1, 3-5. And this Woman ( prophetically a apostate church ) Is wearing all these Jewels and makeup, and in Revelation 12:1 the verse is talking about a woman clothed with the sun a moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars. Is the pure woman ( prophetic true church ) is not wearing any jewels or makeup? Please answer this.

Hey, so first of all I'm sorry it took me so long to answer you, I hadn't checked in a while so I didn't realize you responded, then I took a few days to put together a good answer. To start off with, this verse never actually mentions makeup specifically, only clothes and jewels, but setting that aside it is again a verse focusing on symbolism. The harlot is the standard representation of a bad woman, flaunting her wealth with her jewels and clothes, showing just who she belongs to and who she is with the words on her head, holding wine in her hand. She is a symbol for the excess, vanity, overindulgence, frivolousness, and wickedness of spiritual Babylon. However if we want to take this literally we should not wear purple or scarlet either, yet God’s own priests wore purple according to His plan. The priests also wore breastplates adorned with precious stones, which could even be called jewelry. If you go back to the pure woman as well she is not without adornments of her own, wearing a crown of stars as well as wearing the sun and moon. Don’t get me wrong here, I’m not advocating jewelry, I don’t wear it myself, I’m just warning against taking symbolism too far. This woman is a representation of spiritual Babylon, of the excess and wickedness of the kingdom. Note that I use the word excess here. God is not against beautiful things, on the contrary he created them, just look at the vivid and bright beauty of flowers, and remember that in heaven the streets are paved with gold and the gates are made of pearl, and we will be given jeweled crowns when we are there. God loves beautiful things and he created us to love them too. Should we never wear anything that makes us feel pretty? Should we only ever wear things because they are functional? God created us perfect yes, but that perfection has long since been marred by the ugliness of sin and will not be restored completely until the resurrection. Some say we shouldn’t cover up the beauty God gave us, which I agree with to an extent, however if you really want to follow that idea then you shouldn’t wear clothes at all. We could look at it the other way and say that by wearing drab clothing and not doing our hair we are in fact further marring the beauty that God has given us instead of letting it shine through. In the end I think it all comes down to moderation and motive. I don’t think it’s a good idea to spend hours every day doing your hair and makeup, far less because I have an issue with these things themselves, and far more because it signifies too much focus on outward things. As Christians, and more specifically as SDAs, we want to stand out for our actions not for our looks, which means not looking too gaudy but not too much the other way either. Think of people like the Amish, do you think first of their faith and good works, or of their special style of living and dressing? What do you want to be known for? I am certainly not advocating jewelry, or even makeup but I won't condemn them either. I don't wear jewelry, but I do wear makeup regularly. Really, I think the bigger issue here is to remember to look beyond the surface and pay more attention to the meaning and symbolism beneath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker, cynthia200, mango

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 11 months ago #33638

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
Gogirl wrote:
Hi Silverstar, could you send me a pic of Mrs. White with the necklace? It would be interesting to see :)

Actually, she did wear a brooch to pin her collar, and a watch, but never a necklace. The picture used to "prove" that she wore jewelry is actually doctored, because in the original, the chain ends at her pocket, meaning that it was a watch. In the below photo, taken in 1888, she sat for a picture with her twin sister, Elizabeth Bangs.

Note that Elizabeth is sitting with a book in her lap. In the customs of the day, the person sitting with a book was considered the most literate. There are photos of the White family where Ellen and James are both seated with books. By 1888, Sister White had already published several books, devotionals, and periodicals, and was by far the most literate. But she let her sister take the place of honor. This gives greater insight into her character.
Attachments:
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by InspiredThinker.

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 11 months ago #33655

• poco1877
  • Thank you received: 36
I do see what you mean. But makeup is not bad! If you put tons and tons on it looks awful and not very good but my mom puts a little bit on like blush and the eyebrush thingy (not eyeshadow). She just puts a little bit on just to cover up her pimples and blemishes! Is there anything wrong with that?! :unsure:
Hi! I'm Katie.

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 11 months ago #34109

• jon01
  • Thank you received: 42
colossians 3:23;and whatsoever you do, do it heartily as to the lord and not unto men.also, 1 cor10:31;whether therefore you eat or drink or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 10 months ago #34442

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
Gogirl wrote:
@faithforever

The pure woman isn't exactly not wearing jewelry, either. She is, after all described with extravagant things. as clothed with the sun, and crowned with 11 stars. As faithforever said before me, the verse never mentions makeup.

Moreover, the reason the Whore of Babylon is described being decked in pearls and gold is because of her occupation. A whore was a woman who sold herself for sex. Since she is a bad woman, her opposite would be the woman wearing the sun, and a crown of 11 stars, who represents the true church.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: jon01

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 10 months ago #34627

in the bible god says do not wear any jewels or makeup you can see it in the old testament and in mrs.ellen white say it too in one of her books .
my crazy beautiful life

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 10 months ago #34836

• Gracie
  • Luv Gymnastics!
  • Thank you received: 37
EBribree wrote:
:( Whats the problem with make up?

You just want to make yourself pop!

i don't see the problem. :dry:

Hey Bribree,
It's like this, God made us in his image. It says in Genisis " Let us make man in our image, in our likeness.

God made us in his image. God designed us to look like him. God is perfect, why would you want to change the way you are?
Gracie

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 10 months ago #34945

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
[/quote]Hey Bribree,
It's like this, God made us in his image. It says in Genisis " Let us make man in our image, in our likeness.

God made us in his image. God designed us to look like him. God is perfect, why would you want to change the way you are?[/quote]

But we also neglect to remember that the human body is longer perfect. 6,000 years of sin has marred and practically crippled the human body. Man was made to live forever. Man was made to never be sick. Man was made tall.
But today, it's a miracle to live past 90. We take extreme measures to protect ourselves from illness, and it's amazing to grow to be 7 feet.

So we need to remember things in context. In 1888, makeup had lead. When God created the world, to wear makeup would be saying that God made a mistake. But now, wearing makeup on a body that is destroyed almost beyond repair is completely understandable.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: faithforever

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 10 months ago #34994

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
all I can say is it's up to the individual person, but you must

(1) remember that God made you and you are beautiful!
(2) don't over do it or it looks unnatural.
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 10 months ago #34995

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
all I can say is it's up to the individual person, but you must

(1) remember that God made you and you are beautiful!
(2) don't over do it or it looks unnatural. :D
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 9 months ago #35921

• CheekyCherry
  • I love a Reading, God, My family and Friends!!
  • Thank you received: 31
I agree with your point, Ellen White and teh Bible. I guess alot of people wear make-up because they are not comfortable with how they look - they want to come to church looking *beautiful*. In the bible it does say though; 'Come as you are.'
CC;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jon01

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 9 months ago #35967

• Silverstar
  • Thank you received: 45
Gogirl:
I would like to give you the picture, but unfortunately, I don't have it... My grandpa or pastor or something told me that they air-brushed the necklace out, but found it later or something. Sorry for not being more specific!
~ Silver star :)
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Silverstar.

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 7 months ago #37177

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
YuffieBunney wrote:

In 1 Timothy, 2:9-10 it says; Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. So if you wanted to get technical, it's biblically wrong to braid your hair... Shame on 90% of the Adventist population.

The bible is a very strict rule book, picked apart and scoured by millions of people, beliefs, and churches, and honestly most Adventists can't ever hope to follow all of the guidelines inside of it. So, as someone who's been ridiculed for makeup, nail polish, and a variety of other things, I really suggest that you stop and think for a moment and try to understand that we are not living by the little nit picky things anymore. If we still lived like the Israelites, I can garuntee that everyone you know - including yourself - would be stuck banished from entering Canaan with us makeup wearers.

That's not what the verse means. The original KJV uses the word "broided", as in embroidered. Back then, to attract attention, women, mainly prostitutes, would weave gold thread into their hair. Always remember to use Bible verses in context.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Going4God

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 4 months ago #39498

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
InspiredThinker wrote:
Gogirl wrote:

Actually, she did wear a brooch to pin her collar, and a watch, but never a necklace. The picture used to "prove" that she wore jewelry is actually doctored, because in the original, the chain ends at her pocket, meaning that it was a watch. In the below photo, taken in 1888, she sat for a picture with her twin sister, Elizabeth Bangs.

Note that Elizabeth is sitting with a book in her lap. In the customs of the day, the person sitting with a book was considered the most literate. There are photos of the White family where Ellen and James are both seated with books. By 1888, Sister White had already published several books, devotionals, and periodicals, and was by far the most literate. But she let her sister take the place of honor. This gives greater insight into her character.

Here is the "necklace" picture.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by InspiredThinker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperStar

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 4 months ago #39589

Make-Up is NOT A BAD THING. Those texts Provided are examples of people breaking their relationship with God because they are consumed with the worldly things. I myself I not a huge fan of makeup, but be carefull, There are liberal adventists. So just be carefull. :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 4 months ago #39590

Both women in revelation are either far left(God) or far right(World). These women represent the intentions of both types of churches. The "Hipe" ones or the real ones that teach the truth. Goes does not describe whether Make-Up is ok.

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 4 months ago #39746

• RJ
  • Thank you received: 21
I think the Lord is really speaking through you. I agree with you. All that you say is from the bible and we as Adventists and children of God, are supposed to be following the bible. But there are a few important things I have to add.

I don't wear make up, because I've never been interested in it and I've always personally thought it is a waste of money, and I think it's a vanity (not just pride vanity, like uselessness vanity), in all truth. I don't mind using chapstick or carmex for when my lips get chapped but that is it. I actually TRIED to get interested in make up when I was younger. Can you believe that? Because everyone expected me to wear it. But now I have the confidence I need from the Lord to not care about things like that anymore.

I don't want my face - the face God formed and knitted in my mother's whom - to be enhanced by worldly paints and glosses. That is like trying to improve on what God has created. Who am I to do such things? I think it enhances us as followers of Jesus Christ by not wearing it - because it points us out to others, and shows them we are different from the world somehow. It makes them see that we are not preachy hypocrites, but we actually live what we teach.

Some people will harden their hearts to little things like this and they seem not to hear anything we say, and meet it all with excuses - but it's the little things in life that eventually add up to the big picture. If we have truly given our entire lives to the Lord, we shouldn't will to do our will, but his will, even if it can be a struggle. Some people make excuses and brush these things aside like it doesn't matter (not just make up!), but it is something they will have decide on their own in the end.

Everyone who has claimed to have given their whole life to the Lord has something that they are holding on to. But we should all really pray for strength every day, every hour, to give up certain things of this world that we love (I'm no longer simply addressing make up). Eventually, when we are overwhelmed by his love, a new passion grows in us - a passion that is stronger than all the others - and that is sharing the gospel with others. Sharing Jesus with others. Serving the Lord our God with all our hearts. And when you reach this point - you will give up anything for Him. "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." - Matthew 6:24
Here it is addressing wealth, but I believe that it means anything we love in this world.
Also read Matthew 5:30. It's not so much that make-up magically causes you to sin or anything or causes you to be forever condemned (ridiculous) - it's that the use of it can go to your head (maybe you might get a little arrogant at times, or maybe you feel like nobody should see you without it). Not only that, but it can cause illness as well, like EGW said.

When I see people making comments that try to justify it all, it makes me sad. Because in the end, what really matters in this world? In this life? Nothing but the gospel. Nothing except God's word reaching the ears of his people. Things like make up is a choice of life style - AFTER falling in love with the Lord - AFTER giving our lives to him. Every single day is a learning process! We aren't going to do everything right. But why should certain things matter so much we have to defend them? Why do we justify things we aren't even certain about ourselves? So the bible doesn't say make up is bad. It doesn't ever say it's good. Some things in the bible are not directly stated - but from my experience, when something is iffy, it is not good to do. Especially if you find yourself going back to it again and again without even thinking about it. Which in my opinion, is a sort of slavery by that thing, don't you think?

There is heaps more I could talk about, but I can't go on forever. Lovely post, and thank you for bravely addressing something like this. Make God bless and use you in many ways.

Anybody who has read this and feels like arguing, just remember that I believe things like this are definitely a personal CHOICE and comes after giving up your life to the Lord (probably even after baptism) and something that is between YOU and JESUS. I love you all no matter what you wear or how you deal with all these little details because God created you all and you are all my sisters in Christ (I hope with all my heart!).

Also I believe it's important not to jump to conclusions or misunderstand the bible! Like InspiredThinker said, CONTEXT really matters. The verse about the broided hair (that's what it says in KJV, the most accurate English version), I believe the people he was talking of in those texts were a hugely vain people taken over by the love of wealth, so much that they actually were not being loyal to God. It is VERY different for us today. You can wear make up and have a cute side or waterfall braid and still be completely in love and loyal to God - so long as you don't let it use you like a slave, and you don't allow it to make you vain. For example, if you can't go a day without putting on the make up, perhaps it's not so healthy... But if it's done just for special occasions, it's not using you. You're using it.

Though, myself, I just don't bother with it altogether because maybe as you can tell, I really don't think it matters at all. It's completely pointless and fruitless to me, personally. All I really care about is spreading the gospel through the talents God has given me, and Jesus' second coming. If I have zits or something, I feel that covering them up actually makes it worse, so I use gentle face cleanser every day, and that works for zits. Plus eating healthy, and exercising and drinking lots of water. These are all ways to keep your face beautiful and healthy.

All in all, what matters is to be true to God and will to do his will - not ours!

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 3 years 3 months ago #39904

• RJ
  • Thank you received: 21
faithforever wrote:
You have to remember to look at all of those verses and quotes in context. Jeremiah was speaking to/about a harlot, he was telling her that all of her efforts to be beautiful were in vain for she was worthless on the inside. In fact that is what nearly all of those verses are saying, focusing on your outward beauty is pointless if you aren't beautiful on the inside. Those verses are much more about telling us to focus on who we are in our hearts, on our spiritual place, than they are about telling us not to wear makeup. As for Ellen White, take note that the passage is taken from her Health Messages. In her era (and to an even greater degree before) cosmetics were made of very dangerous ingredients (there was a period where radium was used in cosmetics) such as lead, not things you want in your body. Nowadays, you still don't want to cake on the product as they can clog your pores, but they are monitored for quality and safety. Many cosmetic products actually serve a double duty of helping you, for instance many foundations have sunscreen in them as do many chapsticks and other lip products and many (if not most) have moisturizers in them. Also, as many others have said, it can really depend on how you wear it. Me? I keep it natural, I cover up my acne and give my lips some color. If you don't feel right about wearing makeup as an Adventist then I can totally respect that, there are some things that are left up to personal interpretation and choice. I personally feel comfortable with my own choice to wear makeup.

I totally agree! Things are different today. Make up isn't necessarily a bad thing to wear. Context is super important. And I do believe it's the individual's choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cupofanna
Time to create page: 0.934 seconds