Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists??

Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 7 months ago #24989

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
  • Thank you received: 185
I was wondering why all these adventists wear make-up today and its like they are being worldly or something :dry: I think that we should not wear make-up as Adventists because It says in Jeremiah 4:30, And you, O desolate one, what do you mean that you dress in scarlet, that you adorn yourself with ornaments of gold, that you enlarge your eyes with paint? In vain you beautify yourself. Your lovers despise you; they seek your life. There are some other verses too, One is Isaiah 3:16-26, The Lord said: Because the daughters of Zion are haughty and walk with outstretched necks, glancing wantonly with their eyes, mincing along as they go, tinkling with their feet, therefore the Lord will strike with a scab the heads of the daughters of Zion, and the Lord will lay bare their secret parts. In that day the Lord will take away the finery of the anklets, the headbands, and the crescents; the pendants, the bracelets, and the scarves; the headdresses, the armlets, the sashes, the perfume boxes, and the amulets; Peter 3:3-4, Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. and Peter 3:1-22, Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.
Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

Also, Ellen white says, "Many are ignorantly injuring their health and endangering their lives by using cosmetics…when they become heated…the poison is absorbed by the pores of the skin, and is thrown into the blood. Many lives have been sacrificed by this means alone." (Healthful Living, p.189).

What do you think? :huh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ladybug101, AbigailGodgirl, Quirky, _trishaa_

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 7 months ago #25144

I agree with the bible and miss white
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, $ummertime$adne$$, Mercylove, my_name_is_peep$

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 7 months ago #25174

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
What exactly is so bad about makeup? Jeremiah was using symbolism to show how Judah had sinned, likening the nation to a harlot, or prostitute, a job that was frowned upon by Jewish law. The point of makeup is to enhance, not cover up. Although we must dress simply and modestly, makeup can be used modestly and simply. It depends on the applicant.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Preciousabby1116, faithforever, cool12, JunkMonkey, mknz12, mango, Big al, Kooki_Senju, Mercylove, Going4God and this user have 2 others thankyou

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 6 months ago #25544

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
Isn't it better to be safe than sorry? In the bible there is enough scriptural evidence to show that God had an issue with His children on how they represented Him; Jerimiah 4:30, Isaiah 3:16-26, Peter 3:3-4, Peter 3:1-22
After reading all these texts above, I see two issues here;

1. Notice that God when addressing His people they were in apostasy. We can see that in the apostasy they took up pride and vanity, two things that God says he hates in 1 Peter 3:1-4 we have Peter counseling us of what is favorable to God. We must always look at the bible as a complete picture from Genesis to Revelation.

2. When you look at Revelation 12:1 we see a picture of God's true church, and then look at Revelation 17:4-5 we see a picture of the apostate church. When you compare the two you see a marked difference in their parents. We need to take that into consideration as we read 2 Peter 1:4.

3. When you look at Genesis 4 we see the story of Cain and Able. From this example we witness the difference in attitude
of two people who profess to serve God, but yet we see only one pleasing God, Why?
The reason for this is because one was obedient to God's requirements, the other chose to do what he felt was acceptable.
God is particular, and wants His people to be pure, humble, and selfless; this identifies God's true people. So, I ask the question again, Why do people wear make-up as Adventists, do we need to help God out with the way we look naturally? are we unsatisfied by the way we look? God has given us a health message to enhance our appearance in a natural way, Satan has taken the vanity of man to create artifcial substances to use to mask our unhealthly practices. We need to remove self out of the picture and be obedient to Christ and to be a peculiar people in every sense; We should not lust after the practices of the heathen and make ourselfs desolate ( Jerimiah 4:30 ).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ladybug101, SamanthaS., Quirky, Kaid3rd, jon01

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 6 months ago #25622

@gogirl amen
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, SamanthaS., Quirky

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 6 months ago #25678

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
Are beauty should be inward beauty. Now, don't go to far with this because we also want to look nice for God. We don't want to walk around with unbrushed hair and never take bathes because that isn't really bringing glory to God, now is it? But we don't need to adorn ourselves with jewerly and makeup when we are beautiful by the fact alone that God created each and every one of us! Amazing, isn't it though? But yes, my sis wears a little makeup, but I have mixed feelings. I feel that a person shouldn't start on makeup because this may then lead to them becoming addicted to it, making them want more and more to look better and better.
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, $ummertime$adne$$, AbigailGodgirl, Quirky, mango, Big al, Mercylove, _trishaa_, AwkTurtle

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 6 months ago #26567

• Bribree
  • Thank you received: 158
:( Whats the problem with make up?

You just want to make yourself pop!

i don't see the problem. :dry:
;) GOD ♡ U ...... I ♡ U
;)~Bribree~ ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mknz12, Dawn, mittens92999, Big al, Joy

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 6 months ago #26663

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
Hi Bribree,

Carefully read what I wrote down before, I don't think you read it. ;)

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 6 months ago #26686

• Godsadvicegiver12
I see what you are saying, Gogirl. God made us how we are! He loves us in just the way we are! Why do we need makeup, when we are made in God's own image? That fact alone makes us very beautiful!

I personally do not wear makeup. I believe that we don't need it again because we are in God's own image! Does God need makeup? No, do we because we are in His image? No.

By the way, Gogirl, amen!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, $ummertime$adne$$, naturelover23, Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 5 months ago #28006

• mittens92999
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Thank you received: 343
I do not wear makeup but my mom sometimes puts on a little for church. I do not see anything wrong about it as long as you don't wear tons and tons.
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

-15 years old

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, Big al, Mercylove, _trishaa_

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 5 months ago #28097

• Hyperactive247
  • Psalms 34:7
  • Thank you received: 140
Uhm...

I understand your point, there....

And when I was your age, ( I can say that now... that makes me feel old....)

I thought the exact same thing! But as you get older, you will start feeling pressured to wear makeup. That's what I see everyone wearing nowadays. And, (from my own experience) when you get older and have a total makeover, you will see your face in a way that you haven't seen it before, and trust me, you will look beautiful. When you get that taste of "beauty", you will want to look that way all the time! Which means, "hey! I want to get makeup so I can look the way I looked when I had my makeover!"

I, myself, understand that God loves you just the way you are, and I accept that! But just take a good look at both sides for me, kay? Again, Amen! Thanks for pointing that out! :)
Let's eat some cookies together! *nibbles on spare cookie*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, faithforever, DaughterOfGod13, honeyflower, Big al, Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 5 months ago #28130

• Godsadvicegiver12
I've only worn makeup once in my life, and that was when I was taping for KidsTime at 3ABN. I had to wear it because otherwise my face would've been washed out by the bright lights of the studio. That's the only time that I wore it, and it was for taping purposes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, ladybug101, honeyflower

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 5 months ago #28138

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
Fair enough, some times I don't agree with other ppls opinions but its good that you have your own, so I accept that. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joy

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 4 months ago #29373

• SamanthaS.
  • Thank you received: 92
Wow, I never really thought of it that way. Actually a little, but I didn't go to the Bible because it didn't seem like too much of an issue. I'm seeing your point of view, and I think I understand it too, but I still don't really see much wrong with a little bit of concealer and maybe mascara. But then again, you had some really good verses, and even though that was showing an example of the way God's children were behaving, it really is better to be safe than sorry.
Now I've really been thinking about the verse about braiding. What if it's more for convenience than vanity, like to get my bangs out of my eyes or the rest of my hair from tangling when I go to the beach? Does that make it okay or am I just trying to put a happy face on it.
Also, do you think this includes hair dyeing too? And like my thing about the braiding, what if your hair is graying early, like in late teens to early adulthood? Would it be okay to dye hair then?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al, Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 4 months ago #29422

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
Its about your relationship with God as you pray and ask the lord to reveal it to you. This is what I found in the bible: Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. (Proverbs 16:31 NIV) What do you think about gray hair now? I think Its ok to have braids and brush your hair if its in your face ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: honeyflower, Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 4 months ago #29679

• Reckless
  • Thank you received: 37
Makeup is not the sin. It all depends on the persons motive or whatever for wearing it. Nothing's wrong with makeup
The following user(s) said Thank You: JunkMonkey, mknz12, Big al, Mercylove, Joy

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31456

• Gogirl
  • Hi you guys!
Thanks for all your opinions guys!
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by rfishell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31469

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2974
Bribree wrote:
:( Whats the problem with make up?

You just want to make yourself pop!

i don't see the problem. :dry:

its really funny that you say that because i think wearing make up makes you blen in with everyone else, not pop
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, honeyflower, Mercylove

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31517

• jon01
  • Thank you received: 42
makeup is used for vanity purposes, the bible speaks against vanity. if you use makeup youre saying that youre not happy with the way God made you. you cant improve on what God does.we want non-Adventists to judge us for Godliness instead of being like everybody else
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, purplechick

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31579

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
Gogirl wrote:

Ellen white says, "Many are ignorantly injuring their health and endangering their lives by using cosmetics…when they become heated…the poison is absorbed by the pores of the skin, and is thrown into the blood. Many lives have been sacrificed by this means alone." (Healthful Living, p.189).

The reason Ellen White advised against the makeup of her day is the same reason she advised against wigs of her day: they weren't as safe.

Makeup in Sis. White's day often included lead. Today, makeup is not only designed with beauty in mind, but also safety.

The wigs of her day were often made of birch wood and Spanish moss. They wouldn't allow proper insulation of the head, and sometimes, worms would still be in the birch wood. Today's wigs are made of human hair, so the health risks, if not eradicated, are dramatically lessened.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: cynthia200, Big al, Joy

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31677

• cool12
  • Surf's up! :D
  • Thank you received: 101
The culture was way different back then. People adorned themselves with jewels, lots of make-up,etc to make people look at them and how pretty they looked and to brag. People still buy expensive stuff to show off too, but make-up now in our culture is not really used to show off or whatever.

Today, it is a bit different, i believe that if you wear something not to flashy and its simple (not expensive), such as a watch, or a simple (non expensive) bracelet/or necklace, and you bought it not for show but to just wear for your own happiness/ usefulness (the watch) i think its ok.

I have a simple black bracelet my brother gave me as a gift, and i dont wear it to show off or make people look at me. I wear it because it reminds me of my brother and how kind he was. Which doesn't happen often with brothers!! :)

I personally wear very natural make-up so you really cant tell im wearing it. I would never wear something such as bright purple eye make up etc.

This subject has different opinions for everyone and thats okay! Its a personal decision each person has to make.
~COOL12~

Surfin' a wave! B-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: macboy10, cynthia200, SDAhorseGirl, honeyflower, mango, mittens92999, Big al, Going4God

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31875

• cool12
  • Surf's up! :D
  • Thank you received: 101
I completely agree with Jaguar. The point of makeup is to enhance, not cover up. Although we must dress simply and modestly, makeup can be used modestly and simply. It depends on the applicant.
~COOL12~

Surfin' a wave! B-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, SDAhorseGirl, mango, Big al

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #31954

You have to remember to look at all of those verses and quotes in context. Jeremiah was speaking to/about a harlot, he was telling her that all of her efforts to be beautiful were in vain for she was worthless on the inside. In fact that is what nearly all of those verses are saying, focusing on your outward beauty is pointless if you aren't beautiful on the inside. Those verses are much more about telling us to focus on who we are in our hearts, on our spiritual place, than they are about telling us not to wear makeup. As for Ellen White, take note that the passage is taken from her Health Messages. In her era (and to an even greater degree before) cosmetics were made of very dangerous ingredients (there was a period where radium was used in cosmetics) such as lead, not things you want in your body. Nowadays, you still don't want to cake on the product as they can clog your pores, but they are monitored for quality and safety. Many cosmetic products actually serve a double duty of helping you, for instance many foundations have sunscreen in them as do many chapsticks and other lip products and many (if not most) have moisturizers in them. Also, as many others have said, it can really depend on how you wear it. Me? I keep it natural, I cover up my acne and give my lips some color. If you don't feel right about wearing makeup as an Adventist then I can totally respect that, there are some things that are left up to personal interpretation and choice. I personally feel comfortable with my own choice to wear makeup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mango, Going4God

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 2 months ago #32055

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
I agree with the Bible, thing is, maybe it is ok, only for other purposes, but when going to church, not exactly. And millions of Adventist still wear makeup, well its quite invisible, i think that even perfume is makeup, but it really isnt a world problem for you. If you are using your beauty for God, i dont think its a problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

5Skite5
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson

Re: Why do people wear make-up, and are Adventists?? 4 years 1 month ago #32191

• Silverstar
  • Thank you received: 45
Make-up: I dunno
Jewelry: Mrs. White wore a necklace.
~ Silver star :)
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds