Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: got a question...

got a question... 5 years 7 months ago #123

• happygirl11234
  • just me, nothing else
  • Thank you received: 168
as i've seen in my history studies, the bible can be interpreted in many ways (my class was studying about causes of the civil war, and slave owners were actually using verses from the bible to defend their right to own slaves, which i know is something God would TOTALLY not allow). my question is why is it so difficult to understand sometimes? :huh:
Live life~Laugh often~Love food~Play music~Work hardest
Give me a reason to laugh, and I will. But you don't need to give me a reason to share God's word.
:D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: got a question... 5 years 7 months ago #138

• fillylove
  • Thank you received: 93
My youth pastor was talking about that a few months ago, he said one reason is that is was written for the people in the bible, so we have to try to understand the context and what the bible writer was trying to say to the people he was writing for. but that does not mean the bible does not do any good today, it simply means we have to work hard and try to understand what God is trying to say to us through the text.
Sorry if that is unclear, that is all I can remember from what he said!
Katie

Re: got a question... 5 years 7 months ago #139

• fillylove
here is what one of my friends said about the slave part of your question. it is quoted from his blog post although I did edit out a few paragraphs that were not relevant to this topic.

"On the Driving of Slaves
Now for a look at the Bible's command for us to enslave others. Well, actually, the Bible's condoning of slavery. Slavery as we know it is a barbaric practice, where people are bought and sold like possessions, treated worse than dirt...

In my research, I stumbled across a site that I think addresses this issue much better than I could in this blog post. In essence, slaves in Genesis were treated more like family members than property. Slaves in the Bible had rights; they were considered human beings, but indentured servants.

Let's say you run up a tab at a local grocery store because you can't pay for what you need to eat. You work out a deal with the manager where you will work for free stocking the shelves as payment for your debt. Sounds reasonable, right? Well guess what, you are his slave until your debt is paid. That's how indentured servitude works.

Not only were slaves treated like humans in the Bible, but they could not be kept in bondage for more than six years! Every seven years, all debts were forgiven, all Hebrew slaves were freed, and everybody had a massive party."
Katie

Re: got a question... 5 years 7 months ago #256

• happygirl11234
  • just me, nothing else
  • Thank you received: 168
appreciate the context, but I was actually talking about civil war era slavery, and more how they twisted religion to fit their purposes. thanks for the interesting bible context though!
Live life~Laugh often~Love food~Play music~Work hardest
Give me a reason to laugh, and I will. But you don't need to give me a reason to share God's word.
:D

Re: got a question... 5 years 7 months ago #289

• fillylove
Oh! I did not get what you had said, but that makes sense!
Katie

Re: got a question... 5 years 7 months ago #1146

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
Why don't you try asking your pastor or youth pastor. I am pretty close to my pastor becuase he did Bible studies with me. He is always ready for question. Sam with my youth Pastor.
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds