Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Parents Raising Wimpy Kids

Yes, my parents are too protective of me. 6 21.4%
No, my parents are not too protective of me. 22 78.6%
Total number of voters: 28 ( bush possum, depool14, Mp137, honeyflower, cool12 ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation?

Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26848

• rfishell
  • Thank you received: 393
Someone sent me this article about American parents raising wimpy kids: www.psychologytoday.com/em/21819. If you happen to make it to the end of the article (it was written for adults), please respond to the poll.
Editor, Guide and Real magazines
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26852

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
I skimmed it slightly
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26856

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1215
That's ... saddening.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaughterOfGod13

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26862

• Wintergirl
  • Uh.. Wanna listen to music with me? :)
  • Thank you received: 177
My parents aren't too protective of me. I can pretty much do whatever I want, but I'm pretty responsible and I respect my parents and my mom likes my sense of humor so if she gets mad at me I can just turn it around and make her laugh. My parents trust me.

"Every fall, parents drop off their well-groomed freshmen and within two or three days many have consumed a dangerous amount of alcohol and placed themselves in harm's way. These kids have been controlled for so long, they just go crazy."

This is how I felt last summer. I felt like I was being controlled and not being allowed to make my own mistakes and learn from them. I thought that when I moved out I would go crazy, like the kids in the article do when they go to college. But now, my mom and dad have relaxed and they are letting me make my own decisions. I like it that way.
NeverLetDown~A.W.K.

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26869

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2992
i couldn't even get through a third of the page before i gave up reading. :S but i get the point. no, my parents aren't over protective (thankfully). my mom will definitely let me learn from my own experiences...unfortunately

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26884

• isaiahtheprophet
  • i love God,and man and my guitar:)
  • Thank you received: 60
your funny! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

say a joke

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26885

hi randy interesting article thanks for posting it I read it all and no I do not think I am a member of the wimpy generation my parents let me learn from my own mistakes and I do do some work at my age cause at home I am the one who fixes most things and I work outside in the garden and in the yard and when I am at the restarant where my mom works and I am done with my school work I start working around the restaurant cleaning and what not
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by notturningaside.

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26948

• DaughterOfGod13
  • Hawaii :) :) :)
  • Thank you received: 844
I read it all. :)

No, my parents are not too protective of me. I'm allowed to make my own mistakes and learn from them. I'm allowed to climb trees and learn that gravity still works - the hard way. While there is a lot of emphasis being placed on not overprotecting your kids in this article you need to make sure (as a parent) not to underprotect your kids. Especially in some situations. For me, when I was younger, I was allowed to do literally anything I wanted on the computer. I could go absolutely anywhere. And I learned (the very very hard way) that the internet is not the safest place. Living in the country and being homeschooled limited my access to other people and peer pressure, but what I didn't get in the real world, I got from the computer. After a few years of addictions etc etc I finally allowed God to work. But the pain and scars from the experiences I had still remain. In situations like this, parents need to be protective - kids don't need to learn about "things" from the internet without the parents knowledge.

My family has a vegetable greenhouse, and believe me - I know how to work. I had to laugh when I read this quote near the end by Epstein: "Children no longer work at young ages."

I mean, for most kids, nearly all of them, this is sadly true, but for me - I work 6-8 hours, occasionally 9 at our greenhouse. Call this overwork, but it's not. Really - I've learned so much from working their that I wouldn't have otherwise.

In all things, we need a balance. Where the line is drawn between under-protection and over-protection is very unclear, and for different people it will be different. We need to seek God and live.

Thanks for posting, this Randy - something all parents (and kids) need to read. Something that MUST be implemented in this world.

God bless.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding!
The following user(s) said Thank You: honeyflower

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26950

• fillylove
  • Thank you received: 93
That was an interesting article...

I don't think my parents were super overprotective (although when I was little I thought they were, when they would not let me stay up late, or watch movies that my best friend was allowed to watch). My parents are pretty good at giving me more responsibilities as I get older, but sometimes I wish some came slightly sooner. (such as the option not to take a nap, and being able to choose when I go to bed).

So I kinda think I need a middle category, they let me figure stuff out for myself and stuff, but not as much as I think they maybe should have, but they are definitely not as overprotective as some of my friend's parents.
Katie
The following user(s) said Thank You: mango

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #26975

• tlover3000
  • Wahoo!
  • Thank you received: 17
Easy read and no comment B)
The Tlover Has Spoken, And What He Says .... Goes....

Re: Are You a Member of the Wimpy Generation? 4 years 6 months ago #27024

• dancer4god
  • I love God!
  • Thank you received: 279
Whoa... And I thought my mom was over protective. I guess she's just protective. She lets me learn from my mistakes. She let me try a make-shift skateboard ramp in my backyard and try it. And that's saying something 'cause I don't know how to skateboard AND my board is made for a four or five year old. My dad takes me skiing and lets me try black diamond trails and jumps if I want to try.

P.S. I only got about half-way through the college part. I had had enough!
~God's love, wack-a-doodles, and fluffy poodles~
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds