Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin?

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 3 weeks ago #89557

  • IlikeEatingPi
  • IlikeEatingPi's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm Gluten Free :(
  • Posts: 146
  • Thank you received: 50
My dad was very mad after church because our new pastor said during Sabbath school that alcohol isn't a salvation issue. This made him very mad because saying that is the same as saying that it isn't a sin. What are you thoughts on this issue?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 3 weeks ago #89567

  • Blue Tornado
  • Blue Tornado's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an otaku.
  • Posts: 1077
  • Thank you received: 895
Technically alcohol isn't a salvation issue or a sin--your new pastor is right--it's just not the healthiest option

The Bible does say some things against drinking alcohol, or wine, but never explicitly refers to drinking as a sin.


"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Animal Jam: Batsey9
Club Penguin: rip
Roblox: BlueTorn
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, SRNitro, horsegirl04

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89599

  • pathfinder4ever
  • pathfinder4ever's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Keep calm swim & read on.(and do gymnaststics!)
  • Posts: 237
  • Thank you received: 40
Blue Tornado wrote:
Technically alcohol isn't a salvation issue or a sin--your new pastor is right--it's just not the healthiest option

The Bible does say some things against drinking alcohol, or wine, but never explicitly refers to drinking as a sin.
yeah, but drinking alcohol leads to other sins, like killing.
#StvernoIsAFemale#Pathfinder4EverIsaFemale#LemonwizardIsaFemale #IAmAFemaleToo #FemaleHashtagMovement

4's my number
}""'^^"""{
I know pronounce my self in charge of the pencil until emmy01 returns.
#pathfindersisgreat
SNOW RULES
Happy birthday to all those born in Janurary:*)
I am a Gymnast.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89605

No. It's not explicitly a sin, but it can cause sin and pain. I remember Paul saying "all things are lawful to me; but not everything is good for me." It's best not to drink alcohol, since the temptation to sin increases.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89617

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1214
  • Thank you received: 456
it is not a salvation issue, but at the same time if you have a close relationship with God He will convict you in your heart that drinking is wrong. If you refuse the Holy Spirit and continue to drink, that would be a sin because you are putting your own selfish desires above God's perfect will.

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, bush possum, endershadow112, jGod8865, pathfinder4ever

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89618

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3970
  • Thank you received: 3191
horsegirl04 wrote:
it is not a salvation issue, but at the same time if you have a close relationship with God He will convict you in your heart that drinking is wrong. If you refuse the Holy Spirit and continue to drink, that would be a sin because you are putting your own selfish desires above God's perfect will.


Amen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04, pathfinder4ever

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89652

Wait, so you guys don't think drinking alcohol is a sin?
:huh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwesi

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89663

  • bush possum
  • bush possum's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Posts: 1023
  • Thank you received: 1215
LolingforJesus wrote:
Wait, so you guys don't think drinking alcohol is a sin?
:huh:
There is no black and white answer for this. The Bible speaks distinctly about drinking (alcohol, you know what I mean), but as someone has already said, although it denounces it, it never labels it as a sin. However, should you be convicted by the Holy Spirit that you shouldn't be drinking it and you do not follow His instruction, it would be a sin, because you are rejecting God's specific direction. As has already also been pointed out, drinking can lead to sin, even if drinking is not a sin for you. Considering that our bodies are the temple of God, we need to keep it as pure as possible.
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by bush possum. Reason: Won't be continued cos I can't remember what I wanted to add
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89733

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 761
  • Thank you received: 617
Drinking alcohol is bad for the same reasons that drugs are bad. Many consider drugs to be sinful, even though the Bible (obviously) never explicitly speaks out against them. However, drugs go against biblical principles, so they should be avoided. Same with alcohol.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, bush possum, horsegirl04

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89738

  • m13
  • m13's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Wow!
  • Posts: 6
  • Thank you received: 4
I think it depends on how you drink it.
Around the same time you posted this, I realized something. I read somewhere that Jesus did drink wine, alcoholic wine. This made me feel weirded out that Jesus at some point could have been drunk, but I was wrong.
The idea is that Jesus, like other Jews at the time, drank alcoholic wine moderately. So not enough to be super drunk you get a hangover or something, he still had control. It wasn't like he was drinking super fermented wine too, it was probably on the newer side,
The sin is not being able to control yourself, and getting to a level of drunkenness where you aren't able to reflect God's character to others.
I'm sorry for taking your thunder, but I'm going to post a topic later more about my opinion on this. Your post reminded me that I should share what I've learned with others.

P.S.
I don't actually know the SDA church officially says about alcohol consumption, nor do I know what Ellen G. White wrote, but churches can be wrong, and that's okay. The decision to not drink alcohol entirely is probably for the best too, if you feel like you would end up abusing it.
Feel free to talk with me about how I feel on the topic, our faith grows stronger when we discuss with one another about what we believe in. Check out my topic too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89756

m13 wrote:
I think it depends on how you drink it.
Around the same time you posted this, I realized something. I read somewhere that Jesus did drink wine, alcoholic wine. This made me feel weirded out that Jesus at some point could have been drunk, but I was wrong.
The idea is that Jesus, like other Jews at the time, drank alcoholic wine moderately. So not enough to be super drunk you get a hangover or something, he still had control. It wasn't like he was drinking super fermented wine too, it was probably on the newer side,
The sin is not being able to control yourself, and getting to a level of drunkenness where you aren't able to reflect God's character to others.
I'm sorry for taking your thunder, but I'm going to post a topic later more about my opinion on this. Your post reminded me that I should share what I've learned with others.

P.S.
I don't actually know the SDA church officially says about alcohol consumption, nor do I know what Ellen G. White wrote, but churches can be wrong, and that's okay. The decision to not drink alcohol entirely is probably for the best too, if you feel like you would end up abusing it.
Feel free to talk with me about how I feel on the topic, our faith grows stronger when we discuss with one another about what we believe in. Check out my topic too.

I don't think he ever drank wine, it was probably just grape juice, because the bible refers to both alcoholic and non alcoholic grape juice as wine.
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89769

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 741
  • Thank you received: 495
pathfinder4ever wrote:
Blue Tornado wrote:
Technically alcohol isn't a salvation issue or a sin--your new pastor is right--it's just not the healthiest option

The Bible does say some things against drinking alcohol, or wine, but never explicitly refers to drinking as a sin.
yeah, but drinking alcohol leads to other sins, like killing.
What? That's no... That's... What? How could you say that?

In the united states 86.4 percent of people have drunk alcohol. If you're saying that this amount of people has killed? WHAT?! You know there aren't that many murders in the United States right? This makes no sense. I understand you're just saying that it could happen, but you bring it up as if people who drink alcohol RISK KILLING SOMEBODY! People who kill, their problem is not the alcohol, it's definitely more than that.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89770

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 741
  • Thank you received: 495
horsegirl04 wrote:
it is not a salvation issue, but at the same time if you have a close relationship with God He will convict you in your heart that drinking is wrong. If you refuse the Holy Spirit and continue to drink, that would be a sin because you are putting your own selfish desires above God's perfect will.

Honestly you put alcohol at such a high level of sin. It's not. It's not that bad. If I drink for the rest I wouldn't be surprised if God forgave. It's not that big of a deal. People are like, "It's okay if you have lied or sometimes hate or maybe drank a whole bunch of soda that isn't good for you, BUT DRINKING ALCOHOL RESPONSIBLY IS WHERE I CROSS THE LINE!"
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89771

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 741
  • Thank you received: 495
m13 wrote:
I think it depends on how you drink it.
Around the same time you posted this, I realized something. I read somewhere that Jesus did drink wine, alcoholic wine. This made me feel weirded out that Jesus at some point could have been drunk, but I was wrong.
The idea is that Jesus, like other Jews at the time, drank alcoholic wine moderately. So not enough to be super drunk you get a hangover or something, he still had control. It wasn't like he was drinking super fermented wine too, it was probably on the newer side,
The sin is not being able to control yourself, and getting to a level of drunkenness where you aren't able to reflect God's character to others.
I'm sorry for taking your thunder, but I'm going to post a topic later more about my opinion on this. Your post reminded me that I should share what I've learned with others.

P.S.
I don't actually know the SDA church officially says about alcohol consumption, nor do I know what Ellen G. White wrote, but churches can be wrong, and that's okay. The decision to not drink alcohol entirely is probably for the best too, if you feel like you would end up abusing it.
Feel free to talk with me about how I feel on the topic, our faith grows stronger when we discuss with one another about what we believe in. Check out my topic too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. It's okay if you eat too much candy and YOU ACTUALLY CAUSE SICKNESS. That's alright God will forgive you and you can keep on doing it and God will still love you. BUT DRINKING RESPONSIBLY THAT'S WHERE GOD CROSSES THE LINE! HOW DARE YOU!
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89788

SRNitro wrote:
m13 wrote:
I think it depends on how you drink it.
Around the same time you posted this, I realized something. I read somewhere that Jesus did drink wine, alcoholic wine. This made me feel weirded out that Jesus at some point could have been drunk, but I was wrong.
The idea is that Jesus, like other Jews at the time, drank alcoholic wine moderately. So not enough to be super drunk you get a hangover or something, he still had control. It wasn't like he was drinking super fermented wine too, it was probably on the newer side,
The sin is not being able to control yourself, and getting to a level of drunkenness where you aren't able to reflect God's character to others.
I'm sorry for taking your thunder, but I'm going to post a topic later more about my opinion on this. Your post reminded me that I should share what I've learned with others.

P.S.
I don't actually know the SDA church officially says about alcohol consumption, nor do I know what Ellen G. White wrote, but churches can be wrong, and that's okay. The decision to not drink alcohol entirely is probably for the best too, if you feel like you would end up abusing it.
Feel free to talk with me about how I feel on the topic, our faith grows stronger when we discuss with one another about what we believe in. Check out my topic too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did. It's okay if you eat too much candy and YOU ACTUALLY CAUSE SICKNESS. That's alright God will forgive you and you can keep on doing it and God will still love you. BUT DRINKING RESPONSIBLY THAT'S WHERE GOD CROSSES THE LINE! HOW DARE YOU!
God will still love you even if you were a drunk, or a glutton. The problem is if you don't accept God's gift of salvation. After you are saved, the Holy Spirit will sanctify your soul, and you will change your sinful ways. You stop being a drunk, and you stop being a glutton. Drinking responsibly is fine, but the problem is it's very easy to go overboard. As we know, people do stupid stuff when drunk. Furthermore, if alcohol or food becomes a god in place of God, then we also have a problem. If a person claims to be a Christian, and they don't change their ways, what are they?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, SRNitro, horsegirl04

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89790

SRNitro wrote:
pathfinder4ever wrote:
Blue Tornado wrote:
Technically alcohol isn't a salvation issue or a sin--your new pastor is right--it's just not the healthiest option

The Bible does say some things against drinking alcohol, or wine, but never explicitly refers to drinking as a sin.
yeah, but drinking alcohol leads to other sins, like killing.
What? That's no... That's... What? How could you say that?

In the united states 86.4 percent of people have drunk alcohol. If you're saying that this amount of people has killed? WHAT?! You know there aren't that many murders in the United States right? This makes no sense. I understand you're just saying that it could happen, but you bring it up as if people who drink alcohol RISK KILLING SOMEBODY! People who kill, their problem is not the alcohol, it's definitely more than that.
Agreed, there are more factors than alcohol for murderers to kill. Such as mental issues, anger and other things
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89791

SRNitro wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
it is not a salvation issue, but at the same time if you have a close relationship with God He will convict you in your heart that drinking is wrong. If you refuse the Holy Spirit and continue to drink, that would be a sin because you are putting your own selfish desires above God's perfect will.

Honestly you put alcohol at such a high level of sin. It's not. It's not that bad. If I drink for the rest I wouldn't be surprised if God forgave. It's not that big of a deal. People are like, "It's okay if you have lied or sometimes hate or maybe drank a whole bunch of soda that isn't good for you, BUT DRINKING ALCOHOL RESPONSIBLY IS WHERE I CROSS THE LINE!"
Well, there is a such thing as grievance of the Holy Spirit. If you grieve the Holy Spirit, an ungodly lifestyle occurs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, horsegirl04

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89805

of course God will forgive anyone who drinks, but the issue stated on this forum is "do you think alcohol is a sin"
so yes I do. But God will still forgive you if you slip up.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89810

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 741
  • Thank you received: 495
LolingforJesus wrote:
of course God will forgive anyone who drinks, but the issue stated on this forum is "do you think alcohol is a sin"
so yes I do. But God will still forgive you if you slip up.

Well anything doing bad to your health is a sin. I mean unless you've never eaten ice cream or had a candy or even ate too much salt or something, I'm sure you're not spotless. I think it is a sin, but the way people use it to judge others, in my honest opinion, is just rude and more sinful.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89815

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1214
  • Thank you received: 456
SRNitro wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
it is not a salvation issue, but at the same time if you have a close relationship with God He will convict you in your heart that drinking is wrong. If you refuse the Holy Spirit and continue to drink, that would be a sin because you are putting your own selfish desires above God's perfect will.

Honestly you put alcohol at such a high level of sin. It's not. It's not that bad. If I drink for the rest I wouldn't be surprised if God forgave. It's not that big of a deal. People are like, "It's okay if you have lied or sometimes hate or maybe drank a whole bunch of soda that isn't good for you, BUT DRINKING ALCOHOL RESPONSIBLY IS WHERE I CROSS THE LINE!"
I know a lot of people who drink wine moderately, but I personally will never drink wine, not because it is a sin, but because it is not a good influence on my life.

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 weeks ago #89824

A sin is anything that violates love. Drinking isn't a sin simply because God arbitrarily decided it was. It's a sin because it hurts you and those who love you, and that's a violation of love. Of your self love (which you ARE supposed to have...in moderation, of course), and of the love between you and others around you. Once you are aware that drinking violates love and hurts other people, you are held responsible for it. Only once you are shown by God that drinking is hurtful to Him and to others does it become a salvation issue. It's the same with any other sin. If you do it while consciously knowing and understanding that it hurts you, other people, and God, it's a salvation issue.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04, LolingforJesus

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 1 week ago #89838

SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
of course God will forgive anyone who drinks, but the issue stated on this forum is "do you think alcohol is a sin"
so yes I do. But God will still forgive you if you slip up.

Well anything doing bad to your health is a sin. I mean unless you've never eaten ice cream or had a candy or even ate too much salt or something, I'm sure you're not spotless. I think it is a sin, but the way people use it to judge others, in my honest opinion, is just rude and more sinful.
I love salt and candy.... so no I'm not spotless either.
I've seen that good people can use the health message to bring people in, not be all "You wicked sinner that art drinking alcohol"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 2 days ago #90269

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 761
  • Thank you received: 617
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
of course God will forgive anyone who drinks, but the issue stated on this forum is "do you think alcohol is a sin"
so yes I do. But God will still forgive you if you slip up.

Well anything doing bad to your health is a sin. I mean unless you've never eaten ice cream or had a candy or even ate too much salt or something, I'm sure you're not spotless. I think it is a sin, but the way people use it to judge others, in my honest opinion, is just rude and more sinful.
Have people been judgy on this thread? Or are you referring to other people?
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 1 month 1 day ago #90303

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 741
  • Thank you received: 495
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
of course God will forgive anyone who drinks, but the issue stated on this forum is "do you think alcohol is a sin"
so yes I do. But God will still forgive you if you slip up.

Well anything doing bad to your health is a sin. I mean unless you've never eaten ice cream or had a candy or even ate too much salt or something, I'm sure you're not spotless. I think it is a sin, but the way people use it to judge others, in my honest opinion, is just rude and more sinful.
Have people been judgy on this thread? Or are you referring to other people?
I've seen it in moderate amounts but mostly other people including my parents.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you Think Drinking Alcohol is a Sin? 3 weeks 5 days ago #90460

  • Etuc3
  • Etuc3's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Jesus is my best freind
  • Posts: 130
  • Thank you received: 37
Read this text: Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
So what do you guys think about this text in regards to this topic? ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds