Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why should we dress formal in church?

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82213

In my church there are some kids that never dress formal, so I was wondering if there were any reasons why it would be better to dress formal. Does ellen white or the bible say anything about it?
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...
Last Edit: 5 months 13 hours ago by endershadow112.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82217

• Stverno
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Thank you received: 991
It shows respect to God :side:

NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
Last Edit: 5 months 1 day ago by Stverno.

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82224

• SRNitro
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Thank you received: 467
Stverno wrote:
Hold up a minute, no it does not. People always say, "would you go see the president in your normal clothes? Probably not so show the same respect to god." The problem is the president and this society likes the suit and stuff but God doesn't care. Do you think God goes around judging those who wear clothes that aren't expensive enough? Honestly the pants I admire the most are jeans not the normal and formal black pants. That's why I wear jeans because it's showing God that I care about these jeans so I chose to wore them on this day. Also you're not going to be judged by God according to the clothes you're wearing unless you come with nothing on. God cares about the heart you carry into the church not about what type of clothes you come to wear at church.

Stverno I DECLARE UNNECESSARY DEBATE THAT WILL LEAD TO NOWHERE WITH YOU
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Razena

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82228

• Stverno
SRNitro wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Hold up a minute, no it does not. People always say, "would you go see the president in your normal clothes? Probably not so show the same respect to god." The problem is the president and this society likes the suit and stuff but God doesn't care. Do you think God goes around judging those who wear clothes that aren't expensive enough? Honestly the pants I admire the most are jeans not the normal and formal black pants. That's why I wear jeans because it's showing God that I care about these jeans so I chose to wore them on this day. Also you're not going to be judged by God according to the clothes you're wearing unless you come with nothing on. God cares about the heart you carry into the church not about what type of clothes you come to wear at church.

Stverno I DECLARE UNNECESSARY DEBATE THAT WILL LEAD TO NOWHERE WITH YOU

I'm positive God doesn't care about clothes. But for us as humans it's a sign of respect. Here's a terrible example but it's all I could think of:
Cats give dead animals to their masters as a sign of affection. Sure, it doesn't matter to us, and it's even a little gross. But isn't it nice that this creature, whom you love and feed and protect, is giving you the respect it would give to others of its kind?

Also, wearing formal clothes kinda shows other people that we're serious about our religion, y'know? Cause if you take the time to dress extra special, it would seem that you care, right?

NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Razena

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82231

• SRNitro
  • NOW ONLINE
Yeah it's a sign of affection to show God you love him by bringing your favorite clothes. Now the whole idea that were serious also shuns people because some people would feel out of place going around in a t-shirt and shorts. So it's kind of a win-lose situation no matter what.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82235

• Stverno
Oh boy...

Personally, I don't know anyone who would be uncomfortable wearing a t-shirt and shorts in church if everyone else was nice and friendly. And nothing against people who wear casual clothes to church, they certainly can. But I interpreted the question as wondering why most people wear formal clothes to church.

Also, I don't see why wearing your favorite clothes brings more respect to God than formal clothes do. (Sorry, I'm slow :S ) It's just clothes. However, by human standards formal clothes are a sign of respect, which is why many people wear them to church. To show respect to God.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82237

• SRNitro
  • NOW ONLINE
Would you feel uncomfortable coming to a party in a t-shirt and shorts if everyone came in dress, formal clothes? it would be very uncomfortable for many I know that. And also I agree that it's just clothes. So I guess I agree with you really. Formal clothes do show more respect to the people at church but not really to God. Me for example, I don't really like my dress clothes that much and honestly it's nothing for me to wear it on Sabbath cause I don't like how I look in them. I think I look better in jeans so, even though it doesn't look like it, I'm sacrificing more for God. But yeah you're right in the end it's just clothes.

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 1 day ago #82239

• Stverno
But why do people come to a party in formal clothes? To show respect to the host.

Personally, I wear formal clothes because that's my way of respecting God.

You wear casual clothes because that's your way of respecting God.

It's all okay as long as we're wearing clothes. I'm kind of uncompromising on that point. :side:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, SRNitro

Why should we dress formal in church? 5 months 13 hours ago #82267

after seeing all your arguing, I think the whole formal clothes thing is to show respect, similar to how mary magdalene annointed jesus, it wasn't neccesary to be saved, but it was her way of saying that she was thankful to jesus for all he did for her.
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, Stverno

Why should we dress formal in church? 4 months 3 weeks ago #82306

• emmy01
  • The three R's - read, write, repeat!
  • Thank you received: 619
I agree with what Stverno's saying.

Everyone's worship experience is different. For instance, you know those Christian radio songs? Well, they're so loud...I know they're meant to worship God, but after I listen to them, I feel almost dirty...like unclean, or something. It really doesn't put me into a worshipful state of mind when I listen to those type of songs. I prefer softer, more soothing music.

But for other people, listening to those songs lifts their minds to God and makes them feel amazing.

So I probably shouldn't listen to those songs when they take my mind off of God. But does that mean that the people who are blessed by that music shouldn't listen to it? No, of course not.

I think it's like that with the clothing we wear on Sabbath. For me, it just doesn't feel like Sabbath unless I'm wearing nice stuff. I feel like I'm respecting God when I'm nicely dressed, and that's just part of my worship experience.

But you might feel cramped in a suit. Or a dress might make you feel strange. In that case, the dress would not help you worship God, but rather it would take your mind off of God and instead make you worry about your clothes.

I feel like we shouldn't tell others what is "right" or "wrong" on this subject, because it all depends on whether dressing nice is helpful in worshipping God or not. So what is "right" for you may be "wrong" for me, and vice versa.

So, long story short, what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe there's a definitive line that can be drawn with this subject. Just whatever you find makes the most worshipful environment for you.
TravelPastel! Happy birthday! Your 16th year of life will be an awesome one as long as Jesus is in it.:)

#MAINEMMYS #EMMYSQUAD
#StvernoIsAFemale #MKIsAFemale #BushpossumIsAFemale #IAmAFemale #FemaleHashtagMovement
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marme101, Skite, Mp137

Why should we dress formal in church? 4 months 3 weeks ago #82320

• Chickadee
  • I love dogs!!
  • Thank you received: 211
God accepts people just as they are, whether or not they come in tshirts and shorts or a suit. But once you come to Hod and accept Jesus as your Saviour, you have a responsibility to do all you can to show respect to Him.

Here are some quotes from Mrs. White:

Some receive the idea that in order to carry out that separation from the world that the Word of God requires, they must be neglectful of their apparel. There is a class of sisters who think they are carrying out the principle of nonconformity to the world by wearing an ordinary sun-bonnet, and the same dress worn by them through the week, upon the Sabbath when appearing in the assembly of the saints to engage in the worship of God. And some men who profess to be Christians view the matter of dress in the same light. These persons assemble with God’s people upon the Sabbath, with their clothing dusty and soiled, and even with gaping rents in their garments, which are placed upon their persons in a slovenly manner. – {CG 428.1}
This class, if they had an engagement to meet a friend honored by the world, by whom they wished to be especially favored, would exert themselves to appear in his presence with the best apparel that could be obtained; for this friend would feel insulted were they to come into his presence with their hair uncombed and garments uncleanly and in disorder. Yet these persons think that it is no matter in what dress they appear or what is the condition of their persons when they meet upon the Sabbath to worship the great God. [37] – {CG 428.2}

But she also says:

It is not your dress that makes you of value in the Lord’s sight. It is the inward adorning, the graces of the Spirit, the kind word, the thoughtful consideration for others that God values. [39] – {CG 429.1}

See, God does not judge you by your clothing, but it is a dishonor to him when you would dress your best to go see a mere human that happens to be famous/well-known/etc., and show up to church in common week clothes. You show higher respect for a human than to God.

Christians are elevated in their conversation; and although they believe it to be sin to condescend to foolish flattery, they are courteous, kind and benevolent. Their words are those of sincerity and truth. They are faithful in their deal with their brethren and with the world. In their dress they avoid superfluity and display; but their clothing will be neat, not gaudy, modest, and arranged upon the person with order and taste. Especial care will be taken to dress in a manner that will show a sacred regard for the holy Sabbath and the worship of God. – {MYP 349.2}

Read the last sentence ... note that it says we show a sacred regard for the Sabbath, and the worship of God by our dress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skite, endershadow112, emmy01, SirGeneralCliche

Why should we dress formal in church? 4 months 3 weeks ago #82341

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
I believe everything has been said by emmy01 and Chicadee. Come to church in clothing that helps you to be happy, and most importantly that pleases God, and the clothing must be nice and and well kept.

Maybe no holes in jeans, or clothing that is not too revealing or provocative. Plus, the culture I come from doesn't believe that shorts should be worn in Church, or at least during the main service. If you really really really want to wear shorts, don't wear shorts that are way to short, for both guys and girls. This paragraph is for those who are already adventists, because newcomers don't count because I don't want to count them, and most of you know why.

Coming to church is like coming to a weekly celebration, because we celebrate God, His creation, and the sacrifice of His Son. So those are really good reasons to come to church looking your best with what you have.

And another thing, SRNitro, the only time that we as Adventists wear formal clothes is on Sabbath in the three to four hours (depending on the church and if you come on time to Sabbath School) of worship service. And people usually change clothes when they come back home. In other words, you have six days and 18 hours to wear whatever you want. So why not honour God with the way you dress (even though it is a minor thing) in the three or four hours you dedicate to Him every week? Food for thought.

So that's my argument as to why we come in nice clothes.

Have a nice Sabbath
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112, emmy01

Why should we dress formal in church? 4 months 3 weeks ago #82369

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 552
Skite, do you know why your post got copied so many times?
All rules have exceptions, including this one.

Why should we dress formal in church? 4 months 3 weeks ago #82427

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
Skite, do you know why your post got copied so many times?

I have no idea :blink: , but I deleted the extra ones anyway :)
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds