Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Church Music...

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54353

• 20awesome00
  • Guitar + Lake = :)
  • Thank you received: 382
What type of music is appropriate for church, and are there any instruments that are off limits for church? If so what are they? Just want to see what you guys think...
Try being informed instead of just opinionated...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54364

• Big al
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Thank you received: 225
Hey 20awesome00
I believe that any music or instruments can be used to praise God.
I think this varies from person to person. I think God can talk to us through any music and that as long as the lyrics glorify him it is acceptable. I really do not believe that any music with Lyrics that glorify God will keep us out of Heaven. Many people have different opinions on this than but I rest my place that God works through all music and instruments.
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54368

• LittleLadyBug
  • love dinosurs oh and sleep :) class fossil
  • Thank you received: 180
i don't think so, as long as the drums don't over power it ;)
trust me we have had stuff like that happen before
All have fallen short of the glory of God our penalty is death but thanks be to God he has made a way for us!

Elena :)
#BUNNYBUNNY #thebunnymovement

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54385

• sunnyside1
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ready for God
  • Thank you received: 415
You just created a recipe for a debate.

Our church has hymns and I love them. When I go to churches that have rock-type music or even contemporary music I feel scared.
Sometimes we worry,
Sometimes we fret.
Sometimes we feel like
We can't move a step.

But God is still with us.
Keep Him in mind.
Trust in Him alway.
He is ever so kind.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SnowAngel

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54393

• Blue Tornado
  • Happy birthday, TravelPastel!!!
  • Thank you received: 806
Electric guitars, rock organs, drums, etc. Basically anything you'd see at a rock concert or even any secular concert. Except regular pianos/guitars/organs.

"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Animal Jam: Batsey9
Club Penguin: Bat Wen
Roblox: BlueTorn

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54398

• Pyrrhic
  • Thank you received: 147
For me a crazy drumroll would be to much. And maybe a electric guitar out of control...
Pyrrhic - means won a victory!

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54441

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 1944
ParisFrance12 wrote:
Drams and electric guitar :) Hope that is helpful!!

What are your reasons for thinking drums and electric guitars are bad for church?
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54447

• Zipfrost64
  • Basketball is the best sport. Don't @ me
  • Thank you received: 34
Since the church is God's house, music should be religious and uplifting.

Forget the king's horses and forget the king's men.
The King is coming back to put us together again.

#Filipino
The following user(s) said Thank You: sekayi_101

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54450

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
Well, instruments that are used largely depend on culture. Also, keep in mind that traditions always change. Organs did not appear in churches until around AD 670, and pianos were not added until the 19th century.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54452

• 20awesome00
sunnyside1 wrote:
You just created a recipe for a debate.

Our church has hymns and I love them. When I go to churches that have rock-type music or even contemporary music I feel scared.
Actually I didn't just create this topic for a debate, I have just been at a Church camp and the music was quite rocky and I felt uncomfortable. I just wanted to see what you guys thought was appropriate.

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54456

• kiwi guy
  • Thank you received: 16
I personally prefer hymns and more traditional music, mainly because most modern music does not have much content, and the content it does have is often repeated over and over again, and occasionally you can hardly even hear the words over the 'backing'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54480

• miss amazing
  • Hurry up Summer!
  • Thank you received: 194
I think that a few drums are OK. But we must keep in mind that there are sensitive people who might feel offended if they here this kind of music in church. Some churches go overboard and have flashing lights and drums so loud that u can't even here the words or your own breathing! Their excuse is " It draws secular young people to church." Wait a minute! If that is the only reason they come to church why not just ditch church and have a rock concert?
I think music in church should be comfortable for all different kinds of people. Guitar and piano isn't uncomfortable 4 the liberals. They wouldn't walk out. If they want to listen to there rock or whatever they can listen on their own headphones. People argue that most teens in the church enjoy drums. Well the ones that don't just don't turn up to events or camps with the drums and flashing lights, or they walk out!
I am not saying that any particular type of music is wrong. I just think that the church should be a comfortable safe place for EVERYBODY!
I just attended a camp meeting. 4 teens they had the drums. Some nights they were so loud that I was scared for my eardrums! :blink: They also had people dancing. Everyone wuz going wild. I felt uncomfortable there so my friend and I attended the adults for most of the time.
OK. Enough from me.
Hannah...always a kiwi at heart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, SnowAngel, 20awesome00

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54515

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2975
Music Is Made a Snare

The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, [These comments were made in connection with the “Holy Flesh” Movement at the Indiana camp meeting of 1900. For further details, see Selected Messages 2:31-39.] the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions.... LDE 159.1

A bedlam of noise shocks the senses and perverts that which if conducted aright might be a blessing. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din and noise to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit’s working.... Those things which have been in the past will be in the future. Satan will make music a snare by the way in which it is conducted.—Selected Messages 2:36, 38 (1900). LDE 159.2
Let us give no place to strange exercisings, which really take the mind away from the deep movings of the Holy Spirit. God’s work is ever characterized by calmness and dignity.—Selected Messages 2:42 (1908). LDE 159.3

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54525

• Cool Cat
  • I love computers and dirt bikes
  • Thank you received: 224
20awesome00 wrote:
What type of music is appropriate for church, and are there any instruments that are off limits for church? If so what are they? Just want to see what you guys think...
I am finally replying on the guide website! Anyway, I think that heavy metal and music that is WAY to loud is not acceptable for church. I think you know what I mean.
My website: HighGearMX.simplesite.com
Dirt bikes+computers= :-)

Church Music... 1 year 10 months ago #54526

• Cool Cat
  • I love computers and dirt bikes
  • Thank you received: 224
I don't think that any heavy metal of any of that rubbish should be in the church.
My website: HighGearMX.simplesite.com
Dirt bikes+computers= :-)
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Cool Cat.

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54551

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
Blue Tornado wrote:
Electric guitars, rock organs, drums, etc. Basically anything you'd see at a rock concert or even any secular concert. Except regular pianos/guitars/organs.

What are your reasons?
- Guilty by Newsboys

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54552

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
20awesome00 wrote:

I agree with Big al. But I do think that really loud upbeat music shouldn't be in church. I'm not saying it's bad. Just not good for church. Would any of you play a game of tag in the sanctuary? I don't think so. Why? Is tag evil and satanic? No! Of course not! It just is too loud and rambunctious for church. I hope that helped to illustrate my point.
- Guilty by Newsboys
The following user(s) said Thank You: sunnyside1, sekayi_101

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54596

• 20awesome00
miss amazing wrote:
I think that a few drums are OK. But we must keep in mind that there are sensitive people who might feel offended if they here this kind of music in church. Some churches go overboard and have flashing lights and drums so loud that u can't even here the words or your own breathing! Their excuse is " It draws secular young people to church." Wait a minute! If that is the only reason they come to church why not just ditch church and have a rock concert?
I think music in church should be comfortable for all different kinds of people. Guitar and piano isn't uncomfortable 4 the liberals. They wouldn't walk out. If they want to listen to there rock or whatever they can listen on their own headphones. People argue that most teens in the church enjoy drums. Well the ones that don't just don't turn up to events or camps with the drums and flashing lights, or they walk out!
I am not saying that any particular type of music is wrong. I just think that the church should be a comfortable safe place for EVERYBODY!
I just attended a camp meeting. 4 teens they had the drums. Some nights they were so loud that I was scared for my eardrums! :blink: They also had people dancing. Everyone wuz going wild. I felt uncomfortable there so my friend and I attended the adults for most of the time.
OK. Enough from me.
Yea i felt pretty uncomfortable too...

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54864

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
Quirky wrote:
Music Is Made a Snare

The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, [These comments were made in connection with the “Holy Flesh” Movement at the Indiana camp meeting of 1900. For further details, see Selected Messages 2:31-39.] the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions.... LDE 159.1

A bedlam of noise shocks the senses and perverts that which if conducted aright might be a blessing. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din and noise to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit’s working.... Those things which have been in the past will be in the future. Satan will make music a snare by the way in which it is conducted.—Selected Messages 2:36, 38 (1900). LDE 159.2
Let us give no place to strange exercisings, which really take the mind away from the deep movings of the Holy Spirit. God’s work is ever characterized by calmness and dignity.—Selected Messages 2:42 (1908). LDE 159.3

As always Quirky, context is key. Mrs. White's words on the Holy Flesh Movement are not a definitive statement against the use of drums in church. The "music" of the Holy Flesh Movement involved a bunch of instruments playing together chaotically. Mrs. White was not opposed to percussive instruments in church, but to the chaotic worship services of the Holy Flesh Movement where praying, shouting, prostrating, singing and music all occured at the same time, resulting in absolute confusion.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54907

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2975
InspiredThinker wrote:
Quirky wrote:
Music Is Made a Snare

As always Quirky, context is key. Mrs. White's words on the Holy Flesh Movement are not a definitive statement against the use of drums in church. The "music" of the Holy Flesh Movement involved a bunch of instruments playing together chaotically. Mrs. White was not opposed to percussive instruments in church, but to the chaotic worship services of the Holy Flesh Movement where praying, shouting, prostrating, singing and music all occured at the same time, resulting in absolute confusion.

I hear what your sayjng although loud music, heavy beats, people singing in pitches so high that no one knows what they are saying but they stand up and wave their hands anyway ...Idk, that all sounds like confusion to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SnowAngel

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54910

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
kiwi guy wrote:
I personally prefer hymns and more traditional music, mainly because most modern music does not have much content, and the content it does have is often repeated over and over again, and occasionally you can hardly even hear the words over the 'backing'.

Not much content?! Lol!! Sorry, but that "content" has helped me make dramatic steps toward Christ.
- Guilty by Newsboys

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #54989

• Blue Tornado
  • Happy birthday, TravelPastel!!!
  • Thank you received: 806
Mp137 wrote:
Blue Tornado wrote:

What are your reasons?

If YOU were the God of the universe, would you want to be uplifted with electric or rock instruments or misused drumming?

"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Animal Jam: Batsey9
Club Penguin: Bat Wen
Roblox: BlueTorn

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #55048

• Big al
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Thank you received: 225
Zipfrost64 wrote:
Since the church is God's house, music should be religious and uplifting.

Uplifting; morally or spiritually elevating; inspiring happiness or hope.

Religious: relating to or believing in a religion

By these Definitions I concur that music with Strong Base Drums and Even Guitars can be Church Music.
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #55079

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
Blue Tornado wrote:
Mp137 wrote:
Blue Tornado wrote:

What are your reasons?

If YOU were the God of the universe, would you want to be uplifted with electric or rock instruments or misused drumming?

1) There is no such thing as a rock instrument. These instrument were in use before rock n' roll.
2) Most church organs are electric.

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: awesomekidd, Mp137

Church Music... 1 year 9 months ago #55126

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
Blue Tornado wrote:
Mp137 wrote:
Blue Tornado wrote:

What are your reasons?

No, that's why drums should be played well. :silly: But seriously, I am wondering about your reasons. And if I was a god of a universe, sure, being praised with those instruments would be fine. If you want the answer you are looking for, go ask someone else.
- Guilty by Newsboys
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds