Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hymns

Hymns 5 years 7 months ago #390

  • bubble13
  • bubble13's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 21
  • Thank you received: 13
Do any of you guys like hymns? I know many young people dont enjoy them as much as praise songs but I love them just as much!
"Bach gave us God's Word
Mozart gave us God's Laughter
Beethoven gave us God's Fire
God gave us music so that
we might pray without words"
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Re: Hymns 5 years 7 months ago #445

I looooove hymns!!!

btw, how can we pray through music without words, or unless we know the words? loool...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 5 years 7 months ago #727

  • BerryGirl13
  • BerryGirl13's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • My favorite color is pink, I like baking & drawing
  • Posts: 342
  • Thank you received: 440
I LOVE hymns!!! I know most young people want more contemporary music in church, but I personally don't have a problem with the old classics. I grew up singing hymns, and they are very powerful.
"I would rather be a sorrowful christian than a jolly fool."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 5 years 7 months ago #729

  • bubble13
  • bubble13's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 21
  • Thank you received: 13
the quote is referring to music like classical music that is not written with words. We can connect or like the quote says "pray" to God through the music even though it doesnt have words. And the bible says that the Holy Spirit prays for us things that can not be expressed in words (Romans 8:26).
"Bach gave us God's Word
Mozart gave us God's Laughter
Beethoven gave us God's Fire
God gave us music so that
we might pray without words"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 5 years 6 months ago #2190

  • Godsadvicegiver12
  • Godsadvicegiver12's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Posts: 1473
  • Thank you received: 796
I love hymns. They are easy and fun to sing and to play on the piano. Maybe on the organ too.
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 5 years 6 months ago #2332

I love some of them. Some are blah.
~ ♥ Miles ♥ ~
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkepticDude14, N7BJW

Re: Hymns 5 years 6 months ago #2742

  • DaughterOfGod13
  • DaughterOfGod13's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Hawaii :) :) :)
  • Posts: 550
  • Thank you received: 844
I love hymns =)
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: honeyflower

Re: Hymns 5 years 5 months ago #3748

I love hyms!!!!! I have a lot of faves, but some.....well, sometimes I wonder if the person who wrote it was sleeping. Like the words don't go together at all, and the tune is weird. But as long as I'm praising God, I'm OK.
Emily
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 5 years 5 months ago #4562

  • tim33
  • tim33's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love playing cricket and learning about God
  • Posts: 667
  • Thank you received: 782
I like hymns too, especially if they have a good tune.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #60749

  • maplesyruphotel9
  • maplesyruphotel9's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Posts: 471
  • Thank you received: 131
I Don't Mind the Hymns but It is kinda Boring and BLah singing them... No offense to God or anything, I like them, I just wish they were a little more happier.. :)
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3

BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: SushiCat (My friend and I's channel)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137, Joshawesome

Re: Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #60827

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2189
  • Thank you received: 1944
maplesyruphotel9 wrote:
I Don't Mind the Hymns but It is kinda Boring and BLah singing them... No offense to God or anything, I like them, I just wish they were a little more happier.. :)

Oops. Didn't mean to thank you. But I do agree with you a little bit
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #60924

  • Skite
  • Skite's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Posts: 1132
  • Thank you received: 604
Hymns are very nice, and some of them really make you think of how great God is. :)
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #60984

  • Chickadee
  • Chickadee's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love dogs!!
  • Posts: 273
  • Thank you received: 211
Mp137 wrote:
maplesyruphotel9 wrote:
I Don't Mind the Hymns but It is kinda Boring and BLah singing them... No offense to God or anything, I like them, I just wish they were a little more happier.. :)

Oops. Didn't mean to thank you. But I do agree with you a little bit

I agree with you. Many times people don't sing them with their whole hearts.
But there was this one time at church when we were singing hymns, and people sang them so beautifully and from the heart. It almost brought tears to my eyes.
Hymns are beautiful, the problem is people don't truly sing them
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #61076

I like hymns, but i also like praise songs, and i believe there should be room for the new and the old :)
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skite, Joshawesome

Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #61084

  • kpeckham
  • kpeckham's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 153
  • Thank you received: 57
Here's a funny story about hymns and praise songs:

An old farmer went to the city one weekend and attended the big city church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was.
“Well,” said the farmer. “It was good. They did something different, however. They sang praise choruses instead of hymns.”
“Praise choruses?” asked the wife. “What are those?”
“Oh, they’re okay. They’re sort of like hymns, only different,” said the farmer.
“Well, what’s the difference?” asked the wife.
The farmer said, “Well it’s like this … If I were to say to you, ‘Martha, the cows are in the corn,’ well that would be a hymn. If, on the other hand, I were to say to you, ‘Martha, Martha, Martha, Oh, Martha, MARTHA, MARTHA, the cows, the big cows, the brown cows, the black cows, the white cows, the black and white cows, the COWS, COWS, COWS are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn, in the CORN, CORN, CORN, COOOOORRRRRNNNNN,’ then, if I were to repeat the whole thing two or three times, well that would be a praise chorus.”

As luck would have it, the exact same Sunday a young, new Christian from the city church attended the small town church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was.
“Well,” said the young man, “It was good. They did something different, however. They sang hymns instead of regular songs.”
“Hymns?” asked the wife. “What are those?”
“They’re okay. They’re sort of like regular songs, only different,” said the young man.
“Well, what’s the difference?” asked the wife.
The young man said, “Well it’s like this … If I were to say to you, ‘Martha, the cows are in the corn,’ well that would be a regular song. If on the other hand, I were to say to you,
Oh Martha, dear Martha, hear thou my cry
Inclinest thine ear to the words of my mouth.
Turn thou thy whole wondrous ear by and by
To the righteous, glorious truth.
For the way of the animals who can explain
There in their heads is no shadow of sense,
Hearkenest they in God’s sun or his rain
Unless from the mild, tempting corn they are fenced.
Yea those cows in glad bovine, rebellious delight,
Have broke free their shackles, their warm pens eschewed.
Then goaded by minions of darkness and night
They all my mild Chilliwack sweet corn chewed.
So look to that bright shining day by and by,
Where all foul corruptions of earth are reborn
Where no vicious animal makes my soul cry
And I no longer see those foul cows in the corn,
then, if I were to do only verses one, three and four, and change keys on the last verse, well that would be a hymn.”
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: notturningaside, Quirky, bush possum, Skite, missionarykid, Mp137

Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #61117

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2189
  • Thank you received: 1944
kpeckham wrote:
Here's a funny story about hymns and praise songs:

An old farmer went to the city one weekend and attended the big city church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was.
“Well,” said the farmer. “It was good. They did something different, however. They sang praise choruses instead of hymns.”
“Praise choruses?” asked the wife. “What are those?”
“Oh, they’re okay. They’re sort of like hymns, only different,” said the farmer.
“Well, what’s the difference?” asked the wife.
The farmer said, “Well it’s like this … If I were to say to you, ‘Martha, the cows are in the corn,’ well that would be a hymn. If, on the other hand, I were to say to you, ‘Martha, Martha, Martha, Oh, Martha, MARTHA, MARTHA, the cows, the big cows, the brown cows, the black cows, the white cows, the black and white cows, the COWS, COWS, COWS are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn, in the CORN, CORN, CORN, COOOOORRRRRNNNNN,’ then, if I were to repeat the whole thing two or three times, well that would be a praise chorus.”

As luck would have it, the exact same Sunday a young, new Christian from the city church attended the small town church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was.
“Well,” said the young man, “It was good. They did something different, however. They sang hymns instead of regular songs.”
“Hymns?” asked the wife. “What are those?”
“They’re okay. They’re sort of like regular songs, only different,” said the young man.
“Well, what’s the difference?” asked the wife.
The young man said, “Well it’s like this … If I were to say to you, ‘Martha, the cows are in the corn,’ well that would be a regular song. If on the other hand, I were to say to you,
Oh Martha, dear Martha, hear thou my cry
Inclinest thine ear to the words of my mouth.
Turn thou thy whole wondrous ear by and by
To the righteous, glorious truth.
For the way of the animals who can explain
There in their heads is no shadow of sense,
Hearkenest they in God’s sun or his rain
Unless from the mild, tempting corn they are fenced.
Yea those cows in glad bovine, rebellious delight,
Have broke free their shackles, their warm pens eschewed.
Then goaded by minions of darkness and night
They all my mild Chilliwack sweet corn chewed.
So look to that bright shining day by and by,
Where all foul corruptions of earth are reborn
Where no vicious animal makes my soul cry
And I no longer see those foul cows in the corn,
then, if I were to do only verses one, three and four, and change keys on the last verse, well that would be a hymn.”

I can identify with the second dude. :silly:
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #61125

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3696
  • Thank you received: 2975
I love hymns! My favorites are Rock of Ages and It is Well with My Soul

@kpeckham, I almost cried with laughter at that story
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: honeyflower

Re: Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #61217

  • maplesyruphotel9
  • maplesyruphotel9's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Posts: 471
  • Thank you received: 131
Chickadee wrote:
Mp137 wrote:
maplesyruphotel9 wrote:
I Don't Mind the Hymns but It is kinda Boring and BLah singing them... No offense to God or anything, I like them, I just wish they were a little more happier.. :)

Oops. Didn't mean to thank you. But I do agree with you a little bit

I agree with you. Many times people don't sing them with their whole hearts.
But there was this one time at church when we were singing hymns, and people sang them so beautifully and from the heart. It almost brought tears to my eyes.
Hymns are beautiful, the problem is people don't truly sing them
Yeah I totally agree with you
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3

BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: SushiCat (My friend and I's channel)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hymns 1 year 2 months ago #61241

  • Joshawesome
  • Joshawesome's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Loner, emo, DAA Knight.
  • Posts: 38
  • Thank you received: 9
I don't have anything against hymns, I just like contemporary music.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

Hymns 1 year 1 month ago #61559

  • Stverno
  • Stverno's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Posts: 825
  • Thank you received: 989
It doesn't matter to me what it is, although I personally prefer hymns. My reason for that is that I have been blessed with the voice of a goat choking on jelly, so I lip-sync in church. It's easier to lip sync hymns than contemporary songs,



NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hymns 1 year 1 month ago #61664

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3696
  • Thank you received: 2975
Stverno wrote:
It doesn't matter to me what it is, although I personally prefer hymns. My reason for that is that I have been blessed with the voice of a goat choking on jelly, so I lip-sync in church. It's easier to lip sync hymns than contemporary songs,

A goat choking on jelly?? :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hymns 1 year 1 month ago #61694

  • Stverno
  • Stverno's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Posts: 825
  • Thank you received: 989
Quirky wrote:
Stverno wrote:
It doesn't matter to me what it is, although I personally prefer hymns. My reason for that is that I have been blessed with the voice of a goat choking on jelly, so I lip-sync in church. It's easier to lip sync hymns than contemporary songs,

A goat choking on jelly?? :lol:

Indeed. I have quite the impressive vocal range, from screeching cat to platypus. I usually have a lovely voice that falls somewhere inbetween.



NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Hymns 1 year 3 weeks ago #62270

  • Peach1
  • Peach1's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love God, my Bible, my family, and my church
  • Posts: 593
  • Thank you received: 86
I like Amazing Grace, Go tell it on the Mountain, and Power in the Blood. :side:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds