Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Perfection???

Perfection??? 1 year 4 weeks ago #62031

• tim33
  • I love playing cricket and learning about God
  • Thank you received: 782
@Quirky- I'm studying philosophy at school and we looked at an essay composed by Peter Singer- who is one of the most famous philosophers alive today.

His argument is basically that if we accept that suffering and death from lack of food shelter and medical care are bad, and that if we can prevent something bad from happening without sacrificing anything of comparable moral importance then we have a moral obligation to do it. In other words- Singer suggests that we should give to reduce third world poverty to the point where we are only spending money on neccessities- he is essentially arguing that giving to charity is just good- it's morally wrong to not do so. The whole essay is entitle 'Famine, Affluence and Morality' if you want to look it up.

It just got me thinking- perhaps perfection is more than just never sinning- remember how Jesus complimented the rich young ruler on keeping the law- but also asked him to give up his material possesions and follow God.

Anyway, last day of my schooling career tomorrow! Yay!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Perfection??? 1 year 3 weeks ago #62323

• Peach1
  • I love God, my Bible, my family, and my church
  • Thank you received: 86
Mercylove wrote:
No you don't have to be perfect. Only Jesus is perfect, He doesn't expect it of us. B)

Actually, God is perfect and we CAN get perfect through him.

Perfection??? 1 year 3 weeks ago #62324

• Peach1
chocolatedancer1106 wrote:
In my opinion, perfection, for people here on this earth, is impossible to reach. It means living a lifestyle with no sin at all whatsoever. Only God can be perfect. To go to heaven, you don't have to be perfect. I believe that you just have to follow God, and ask for forgiveness for your sins. You also have to be kind to others and live by the Bible (specifically the Ten Commandments). I haven't done extensive research or anything on this, but this is what I've learned and what I believe.

Actually God is perfect but, we CAN get perfect through him.

Perfection??? 1 year 1 week ago #63665

• maplesyruphotel9
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Thank you received: 131
Peach1 wrote:
In my opinion, perfection, for people here on this earth, is impossible to reach. It means living a lifestyle with no sin at all whatsoever. Only God can be perfect. To go to heaven, you don't have to be perfect. I believe that you just have to follow God, and ask for forgiveness for your sins. You also have to be kind to others and live by the Bible (specifically the Ten Commandments). I haven't done extensive research or anything on this, but this is what I've learned and what I believe.

No sorry Peach1 but NO one can be or will ever be Perfect.. Only God is, and we were born sinners and will never be God..
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3

BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: SushiCat (My friend and I's channel)

Perfection??? 1 year 1 week ago #63711

• Peach1
maplesyruphotel9 wrote:
Peach1 wrote:

No sorry Peach1 but NO one can be or will ever be Perfect.. Only God is, and we were born sinners and will never be God..

You are absolutely right. Sorry, I explain that wrong. If we follow God all the way. God will lead us in perfection. Samuel the prophet wasn't perfect, but he followed God all the way.

Perfection??? 1 year 6 days ago #63799

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2974
maplesyruphotel9 wrote:
Peach1 wrote:

But that totally contradicts Matthew 5:48

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Being perfect doesn't mean that you are God. In the book of Job, when God and Satan were talking, did God not say, "Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil."?

God called a Job- a man born in sin-perfect. Does that mean that Job was to replace God? Absolutely not! Job was perfect because he feared God and abhorred evil. That is something that each and every one of us has the power to do. Do we get the power from ourselves? No, we receive power from God and God alone. He said, "I will put enmity (hatred) between thee (Satan) and the woman (God's people), and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." God said that He would give us a hatred for sin, for evil. If we hate something, we won't want to partake of it, right? If I hate dancing in public, I won't want to do it. Common sense. So, if we hate sin, we can and will stop sinning, through the power of Christ. Is it easy? No. Is it possible? Well, of course, because "...all things are possible to him that believeth." Mark 9:23
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peach1

Perfection??? 1 year 6 days ago #63903

@maple, i think what peach meant is that when we come to Him, God covers us with His perfection and thereby makes us perfect to the eyes of heaven.
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peach1

Perfection??? 1 year 4 days ago #63971

• Peach1
Quirky wrote:
maplesyruphotel9 wrote:
Peach1 wrote:

But that totally contradicts Matthew 5:48

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Being perfect doesn't mean that you are God. In the book of Job, when God and Satan were talking, did God not say, "Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil."?

God called a Job- a man born in sin-perfect. Does that mean that Job was to replace God? Absolutely not! Job was perfect because he feared God and abhorred evil. That is something that each and every one of us has the power to do. Do we get the power from ourselves? No, we receive power from God and God alone. He said, "I will put enmity (hatred) between thee (Satan) and the woman (God's people), and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." God said that He would give us a hatred for sin, for evil. If we hate something, we won't want to partake of it, right? If I hate dancing in public, I won't want to do it. Common sense. So, if we hate sin, we can and will stop sinning, through the power of Christ. Is it easy? No. Is it possible? Well, of course, because "...all things are possible to him that believeth." Mark 9:23

Thanks Quirky!

Perfection??? 1 year 4 days ago #63972

• Peach1
notturningaside wrote:
@maple, i think what peach meant is that when we come to Him, God covers us with His perfection and thereby makes us perfect to the eyes of heaven.

That's exactly what I meant! Thank you!

Perfection??? 1 year 1 day ago #64091

• tim33
  • I love playing cricket and learning about God
  • Thank you received: 782
@Quirky- don't you just love the Bible- it's such a fascinating book! I love all the complexities and the contradictions that aren't so easily explained. I guess if we could understand everything, we'd be as smart as God right. Just a comment on your quote from Matthew 5:48, I was reading a book authored by Phillip Yancey recently, and he was grappling with the sermon on the mount- of which Matthew 5:48 is part of. Anyway, Yancey was expressing how he'd always despaired at the hardness of what Jesus preached- that lust is the same as adultery and anger as murder ect.

And the he realised that Jesus wasn't so much preaching about our sinfulness as he was condemning the legalistic approach of the pharisees. Yancey suggests that Jesus preached the sermon on the mount to show that we're all sinners, and to show that the laws and rituals of the pharisees didn't go far enough- they didn't reach perfection. Yancey suggests that Jesus preached the sermon on the mount to show that no-one can ever be perfect in God's eyes. Nothing we do will ever be enough. We are only perfect through Christ.

If our goal was to achieve perfection, and we were capable of reaching it, then we wouldn't need a Saviour. Likewise if we acknowledge that we cannot achieve perfection, yet strive to follow God, his perfection will replace our sinfulness.

I know that I won't ever achieve perfection in this life, as I've expressed before, perfection isn't neccessarily limited to not sinning and as Jesus shows in his sermon on the mount it extends to our motives as well. I believe though that at Christ's return this 'corruptible will put on incurruptibility' and through God, we will be made perfect.

Perfection??? 11 months 1 week ago #65258

• maplesyruphotel9
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Thank you received: 131
Peach1 wrote:
notturningaside wrote:

That's exactly what I meant! Thank you!
ohh ok i was just confused ;)
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3

BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: SushiCat (My friend and I's channel)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds