Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Should Adventists wear wedding rings?

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 10 months ago #42919

I know that lots of people in the church wear wedding rings, but other people are against it. I'm pretty sure my parents do, or else it's because it doesn't fit them anymore :P . I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks :)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 9 months ago #43421

• Blue Tornado
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Happy birthday, TravelPastel!!!
  • Thank you received: 803
I like to call them "jewelry" and I don't think they're acceptable. I think Paul said something about jewelry or "outwardly adornment" and I agree that women should not put all that stuff on their bodies.

"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Animal Jam: Batsey9
Club Penguin: Bat Wen
Roblox: BlueTorn

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 9 months ago #43847

My mom wears a plain silver wedding band, as a symbol that she's married. Most people today, when they see a ring on the left fourth finger, or "ring finger", take it as a sign that that person is married. One time my mom lost her ring gardening, and while she was in a grocery store a man started talking to her, while glancing at her left hand several times. When he saw that she wasn't wearing a wedding ring, he asked her out. She had to explain that she was married, and it was kind of awkward. I think that as long as it's a simple band, then it's okay to wear a wedding ring. But it doesn't need to have a bunch of gemstones on it or anything or be showy.

This is just my personal opinion, and I respect everyone else's. :)
Emily
The following user(s) said Thank You: macboy10, tasha1507, Violingirl1, Quirky, trio3, LittleLadyBug, Big al, Skite, Mercylove, Going4God and this user have 7 others thankyou

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 7 months ago #45144

• snow4me
  • Thank you received: 105
I don't see a problem with it, or even engagement rings. I would wear one. ;) It's different than wearing jewelry to me, because it symbolizes that you're 'taken'. You aren't wearing it for adornment, you're wearing it to tell other guys that you're already claimed so they'll leave you alone. (Yes, I'm a girl)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SDAhorseGirl, trio3, Big al, Skite, katsmyname, Going4God, ParisIs4_Me, horsegirl04

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 7 months ago #45274

• Birdie500
  • No one understands my love for that horse smell...
  • Thank you received: 311
There is absolutely NO problem with wedding rings! It is a reminder of the promise you have made to your lover. In the Bible it doesn't say Don't you dare wear jewellery because all jewellery is bad" Don't over load yourself with jewellery but you are allowed to have a ring...
To ride on a horse is to fly without wings. XD
In my life, be lifted high
In our world, be lifted high
In our love, be lifted high
Random lyrics in my signature cause I'm weird XD
----Channy----
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al, Skite, katsmyname, Lloyd101, Joy, LoveJoyPeace, Greyowl, ParisIs4_Me, horsegirl04

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #45495

• ParisIs4_Me
  • "If you dream it you can do it."
  • Thank you received: 109
I do not see anything wrong with wedding or engagement rings. I totally agree with Birdie500 snow4me and SDAhorsegirl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al, Joy, horsegirl04, sha-sha, IlikeEatingPi

Should Adventists Wear Wedding Rings? 2 years 6 months ago #45607

• travelgurl
  • Thank you received: 11
As a symbol of their faithfulness, not as jewelry. A simple ring is okay for me, not a whole diamond mine.
Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around. -Henry David Thoreau
Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien
The following user(s) said Thank You: SDAhorseGirl, trio3, Big al, sha-sha, maplesyruphotel9

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #45640

I believe that wedding rings represent whether you're married or not. It's a public demonstration of your vows to one another. It's not immodest to wear a wedding ring, it's a symbol, the same way baptism is a symbol of your commitment to Christ. It doesn't have to be big and fancy, it can just be small and simple.
I totally respect it if you don't think people should wear wedding rings, I just think otherwise :)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, trio3, Big al, horsegirl04, sha-sha

Should Adventists Wear Wedding Rings? 2 years 6 months ago #45723

• snow4me
  • Thank you received: 105
travelgurl wrote:
As a symbol of their faithfulness, not as jewelry. A simple ring is okay for me, not a whole diamond mine.
Exactly!! I was with a friend in Old Navy, and for some reason we started looking at the rings and stuff, and we were just like, "When i get engaged, he can just buy me a cheap ring like this, he doesn't have to spend thousands of dollars on it!" :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big al, sha-sha

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #45943

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2962
Once I was listening to this story on Pathway of the Pioneers (talking about the beginning of Seventh-day Adventism) and Ellen White's daughter in law was asking her if it was okay to wear a wedding ring 'cause she was going to be traveling around with Willie (Sister White's son) doing ministry stuff and she didn't want people to think that they were unmarried and doing... you know..stuff, and Sister White said it was okay to make sure that others knew that they were married. A wedding ring isn't (suppose to be) a large rock on your finger for you to show off to everyone to let them know that you've got a rich husband. Its so that others know that you're taken (like what everyone else was saying).

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #46015

• sha-sha
  • Love pathfinders and adore books
  • Thank you received: 36
I personally think Adventists can wear wedding rings I don't see anything wrong with it
#Books
#my little pony
#schhol
#church
#pathfinders

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #46045

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
I agree with many ppl that accept wedding rings. They are symbols, and usually they are quite invisible, unless someone is looking at it. The point that defines this ring contorversy are the beliefs or principles, or preferences of the wearer. I don't believe that other people should influence weds into not wearing these rings. And many times when we hear the word ring, we think of two things, jewelry, and or symbol of one's marriege. What do earings show? Or necklaces. Fine you can have some exceptions, mmahhshsaiuhrlfliasdk..........ahhhhhhhhhhh! Sorry, I'm talking to much. The point is, it depends on the person. But wedding rings are also a sovenir you can take with you. I am for wearing wedding rings, and respect other people's opinions.
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson
The following user(s) said Thank You: LittleLadyBug

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #46072

• Sk8er4God
  • Allons-y!
  • Thank you received: 255
No, of course that's nothing wrong with it. It's a symbol of your commitment and love to that special person in your life.
M-mental
A-abuse
T-to
H-humans

Just kidding I like math.

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #46096

• trio3
  • I'm...a baby? o_O
  • Thank you received: 577
Blue Tornado wrote:
I like to call them "jewelry" and I don't think they're acceptable. I think Paul said something about jewelry or "outwardly adornment" and I agree that women should not put all that stuff on their bodies.

There's a difference between jewelry and a wedding ring. Wedding rings are to show that your married and aren't trying to be flirted with.
Life will always end in closure; unless, of course, it doesn't.

-Unknown

Real Eyes
Realize
Real Lies
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pyrrhic

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #46210

• Cool Cat
  • I love computers and dirt bikes
  • Thank you received: 224
There aint nothin wrong with rings :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
My website: HighGearMX.simplesite.com
Dirt bikes+computers= :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lloyd101

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 6 months ago #46277

• Greyowl
  • Thank you received: 23
There is Absolutely nothing wrong with wearing wedding rings! True that you don't want some big rock just to show off, but when i get married, i want to have two or more Diamonds as long as there not HUGE!! but i want some thing that's not to expensive but not so cheap that's its rubbish. so i think that there's nothing wrong with wedding rings :lol:
God has a plan for you.
This means that
no matter where you've been
no matter what youve done
no matter what others think of u
no matter what your home life is like
no matter what u think of yourself
no matter what your past is like
no matter what's happening in the present
Gods got a plan for u!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, ken10wil

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 4 months ago #47927

• ken10wil
  • bossome
  • Thank you received: 82
so my mom wearing a diamond on her ring makes her any more ungodly how? :huh:
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joy

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 4 months ago #47929

• ken10wil
  • bossome
  • Thank you received: 82
the problem is when jewelry becomes your idol GOLEEE :whistle:
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 2 months ago #49748

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
All over the NAD, there are stories of married Adventist women who don't wear rings being flirted with at work because the men flirting with them don't know about their beliefs. The story always ends with the man being embarrassed.

The Bible does mention an adornment, and our church teaches against it, but our church ignores the fact that culture defines what an adornment is. By definition, men shouldn't wear ties ever, because a tie has no other purpose than decoration. However, in Western culture, wearing a tie is almost required in formal and professional settings. In Western culture, people respect the wearing of rings as a sign that the ring's wearer is married, and therefore, they (should) respect the marriage.

Pagan origin is not enough to abandon something. When the SDA church was first founded, its members not only believed full organization would make the church Babylon, as other organized groups had fallen away, but refused to say the days of the week, and instead called Sunday "First-day", Monday "Second day", and so on and so forth. Eventually, these members realized they were standing guard over nothing.

Paul had no problem eating food dedicated to idols, because he knew that no other god had power, and he knew who he served. In the same way, me saying Tuesday does not make me a worshipper of Mars, and the married deaconess isn't a pagan prostitute just because she wears a wedding ring.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Violingirl1, Big al, Sk8er4God, Mp137

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 2 months ago #50190

• Chickadee
  • I love dogs!!
  • Thank you received: 211
Ellen White said: "Some have had a burden in regard to the wearing of a marriage ring, feeling that the wives of our ministers should conform to this custom. All this is unnecessary. Let the ministers’ wives have the golden link which binds their souls to Jesus Christ, a pure and holy character, the true love and meekness and godliness that are the fruit borne upon the Christian tree, and their influence will be secure anywhere. The fact that a disregard of the custom occasions remark is no good reason for adopting it. Americans can make their position understood by plainly stating that the custom is not regarded as obligatory in our country. We need not wear the sign, for we are not untrue to our marriage vow, and the wearing of the ring would be no evidence that we were true. I feel deeply over this leavening process which seems to be going on among us, in the conformity to custom and fashion. Not one penny should be spent for a circlet of gold to testify that we are married. In countries where the custom is imperative, we have no burden to condemn those who have their marriage ring; let them wear it if they can do so conscientiously; but let not our missionaries feel that the wearing of the ring will increase their influence one jot or tittle. If they are Christians, it will be manifest in their Christlikeness of character, in their words, in their works, in the home, in association with others; it will be evinced by their patience and long-suffering and kindliness. They will manifest the spirit of the Master, they will possess His beauty of character, His loveliness of disposition, His sympathetic heart. – {1TT 601.1}"

And if you say that you need it to "show" your taken:

First, act like you are married. Don't talk to guys all laughing and smiley and acting like you are single.
Second, dress like a married woman. No miniskirts and all the other rubbish women like to wear.this makes you more seductive to guys.

If you do these things and try to follow God's will, then He will protect you, and will keep the creepy guys away from you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michelle13

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 2 months ago #50299

• Sk8er4God
  • Allons-y!
  • Thank you received: 255
Why is this even an issue???
M-mental
A-abuse
T-to
H-humans

Just kidding I like math.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joy, Mp137, IlikeEatingPi

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 1 month ago #51480

• IlikeEatingPi
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm Gluten Free :(
  • Thank you received: 46
IDK :huh: just wear it or not.

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 2 weeks ago #52153

• Pyrrhic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 147
Quirky wrote:
Once I was listening to this story on Pathway of the Pioneers (talking about the beginning of Seventh-day Adventism) and Ellen White's daughter in law was asking her if it was okay to wear a wedding ring 'cause she was going to be traveling around with Willie (Sister White's son) doing ministry stuff and she didn't want people to think that they were unmarried and doing... you know..stuff, and Sister White said it was okay to make sure that others knew that they were married. A wedding ring isn't (suppose to be) a large rock on your finger for you to show off to everyone to let them know that you've got a rich husband. Its so that others know that you're taken (like what everyone else was saying).

Hey I love to listen to those too! I hear them in the car every time we go on a road trip!!!
Pyrrhic - means won a victory!
The following user(s) said Thank You: honeyflower, LittleLadyBug

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 1 week ago #52291

• Big al
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Thank you received: 225
I like the wedding ring not just as a symbol for being married to other but to ones self. I imagine if you got into a huge fight with your lover and left the house the weight of that wedding ring with continually remind you that you still Love your Man and need to go back and fix what is wrong.
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It

Should Adventists wear wedding rings? 2 years 1 week ago #52388

• LittleLadyBug
  • love dinosurs oh and sleep :) class fossil
  • Thank you received: 180
Skite wrote:
I agree with many ppl that accept wedding rings. They are symbols, and usually they are quite invisible, unless someone is looking at it. The point that defines this ring contorversy are the beliefs or principles, or preferences of the wearer. I don't believe that other people should influence weds into not wearing these rings. And many times when we hear the word ring, we think of two things, jewelry, and or symbol of one's marriege. What do earings show? Or necklaces. Fine you can have some exceptions, mmahhshsaiuhrlfliasdk..........ahhhhhhhhhhh! Sorry, I'm talking to much. The point is, it depends on the person. But wedding rings are also a sovenir you can take with you. I am for wearing wedding rings, and respect other people's opinions.
yep i am with you on that :silly: i did reserch on this and i think your right, it all depends on the person ;)
All have fallen short of the glory of God our penalty is death but thanks be to God he has made a way for us!

Elena :)
#BUNNYBUNNY #thebunnymovement
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds