Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Does the Bible Say that Women Shouldn't be Pastors?

Does the Bible Say that Women Shouldn't be Pastors? 3 years 9 months ago #35531

Okay, so I know this question was asked before, but that was like a year ago.

Anyway, I'm in the Iowa-Missouri Conference (I'm talking about which area my church is a part of...am I allowed to say that on here??? :blink: ) and the leaders of the conference are trying to make a decision: should women in our conference be allowed to be ordained pastors??

My mom says it's ridiculous that this is still a problem in 2014, but I want to know if the Bible really says that women shouldn't be pastors. And if it does say that, did it mean just for the time period that the Bible was written in, or that women should NEVER be ministers/pastors/leaders?

A lot of people in my church say that whatever the Bible says not to do, don't do it. And since the Bible says that women shouldn't be pastors, then they shouldn't be.

But there are two problems with this.

One is that these same people break commandments, possibly every day, even though the Bible says not to. So...now we're picking and choosing what we should and shouldn't do??? :blink: Instead of following EVERYTHING the Bible says???

The second problem is the verse they use as proof that the Bible says that women shouldn't be pastors:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)

Who decided that this meant that women shouldn't be pastors? :dry: When I first read this verse, I took it literally: women shouldn't speak when they're in church. They can ask questions at home. But my dad said that Paul wrote this because of a problem in a particular church...this didn't mean that women should never, ever speak in the church--or, in our case, be ordained pastors.

Yeah, this was long :P ...but I just want you to know my whole situation before answering. Can you help me out? B)
"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."--1 Timothy 4:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gogirl, InspiredThinker, Prov17

Re: Does the Bible Say that Women Shouldn't be Pastors? 3 years 9 months ago #35750

• Bribree
  • Thank you received: 158
I just asked my mom and she said no......?
;) GOD ♡ U ...... I ♡ U
;)~Bribree~ ;)

Re: Does the Bible Say that Women Shouldn't be Pastors? 3 years 9 months ago #36135

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2978
I'm not totally sure on this topic but I do know one thing. Whoever is having to make this decision needs to seriously read the bible and Spirit of Prophecy (Ellen White's books). And if they have a problem with Ellen White then there are going to be a lot of holes in their decision (if that makes any sense :whistle: ) Anywho, you should checkout this website that I found off of the official Ellen G. White website. It'll probably answer A LOT of questions. Here's the link:

egwwritings.org/singleframe.php

What you do is once you get to the site click on "Devotionals" then click "Daughters of God" and it'll have a bunch of chapters dedicated to women. i hope you find it well! Good Luck!

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The following user(s) said Thank You: That Girl in the Corner

Re: Does the Bible Say that Women Shouldn't be Pastors? 3 years 8 months ago #36431

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
I haven't been able to fully decide on this, although I used to one day want to be a pastor and kinda still do, women ordination is a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING.

I personally believe that that verse in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is based on the time. At that time, women didn't have rights much at all. They took care of the home. Women in American didn't gain rights until actually recently (like the past 100-200 years.) Times have changed and we have to understand that. That doesn't mean that the Bible with change, but this seemed to be more of a political, no that's not the right word. It seemed to be more of a issue of the times, an issue that was going on in the country, and maybe it was causing fights or something. It's kind of unknown the exact reason why Paul wrote this.

Hope this helps a little.
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds