Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong?

Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 9 months ago #35526

So...I'm confused.

My family really loves listening to music. Christian music. We listen to a lot of different types of Christian music: gospel, Contemporary Christian, Christian rap, etc. I like it.

Another thing my family loves is dancing. When we hear our favorite song, we just have to get up and dance :) :P

BUT...most of the people at my church say that those types of genres are wrong. We should only listen to slow church songs. And we should only sing hymns from the hymn book for special music on Sabbath. They say that beats in certain songs are from the devil.

So...listening to a song with an upbeat tempo and a little bit of drums is...Satanic? Even if the song is spreading the love of Jesus? :dry:

I got even more confused today when I was reading an Amazing Facts study (Storacles of Prophecy #21: "Voice in the Wilderness") and it said, on Question 11, that dancing to songs with rhythm is not something that Jesus would do so Christians shouldn't do it either. :ohmy:

I don't get it...are we wrong to like upbeat songs? Should we never dance (not even snap fingers or tap our foot) to music we like? Is Satan the root of fast, upbeat, praise songs? Should we not feel any emotion at all when we listen to music?

Please, PLEASE help me!!!!! :(
"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."--1 Timothy 4:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ParisIs4_Me

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 9 months ago #36068

• skillet79
  • Thank you received: 18
I believe there is nothing wrong as well as Gods message is somewhere in the song.
JACE
The following user(s) said Thank You: fancy_jenns, 12pearlygates, ParisIs4_Me

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 9 months ago #36069

• skillet79
  • Thank you received: 18
Oh and one other thing. David danced and singed to songs many times. Same with Jesus.
JACE

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 9 months ago #36105

• LiveForGod
  • Thank you received: 7
I personally don't believe that all dancing is wrong. It depends on how you are dancing. The main problem with dancing, as I see it, is that it can lead to other things. Also the type of dance matters. I don't think tapping your foot or clapping in time to the music is wrong, however a lot of types of dance are inappropriate, and I don't think you should dance in those ways. I don't necessarily believe that all music with a beat is wrong, but a lot of music with that beat has bad lyrics, and sometimes they are hidden very well. Also this kind of music is not uplifting. While I don't think all dancing is bad, I do think that there is a time and a place and a manner in which to do it. I think you just have to be careful, and think about it and pray.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SDAhorseGirl, That Girl in the Corner, sunnyside1, 12pearlygates

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36287

OK soo CCM is bad, I honestly think that God does not like that. It is fake music, I like real music. What is the difference between listening to Non-Christian Music and CCM if they sound the same. Some of you might say the lyrics but do you even read them and the lyrics are just made so people feel less guilty for listening to CCM. God says to be hot or cold not warm, in other words listen to Non Christian Music or Real God Music not to CCM, which is a mixture of both Christian Lyrics and Non Christian Music..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cynthia200

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36332

• Kaid3rd
  • Thank you received: 60
Psalm 150 -Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36426

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
I personally respond emotionally to Christian Contemporary music. There are some really good songs out there in the Christian Contemporary music world! I actually dream to make albums to spread Jesus love through music! I believe that many people respond to good CCM.

Now I do have something against supposed CCM songs that never say God's name and sounds more like a girlfriend/boyfriend love song. That just doesn't seem like CCM. Am I saying that every song that doesn't have the word God in it is bad? No, but different people have different views.

Dancing to music is a whole different topic. The Bible mentions dancing (Ecclesiastes 3:4)The Psalms mention dancing (Psalm 150:4).

THis is my point of view:

The thing is that dancing has changed. Dancing has gotten more inappropriate through the years. People dance to show off a lot. That kind of dancing is wrong. A little swaying to me is fine. Some people are so strict you have to stand like a stick when you sing. I don't believe in that. I believe that swaying, walking, whatever on stage is fine, but doing the full out dance routine depending on the kind of dancing is wrong.

Dancing a little to a song? I think that it's OK depending on the motive behind the dancing, how you are dancing (inappropriately or appropriately), and how much you dance around.

This is just my opinion (sorry it's so long. People say "write a sentence or two." Sorry, that's impossible for me...) and different people think differently. That is OK in this situation. :)
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SDAhorseGirl, IlikeEatingPi

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36478

$ummertime$adne$$ wrote:
OK soo CCM is bad, I honestly think that God does not like that. It is fake music, I like real music. What is the difference between listening to Non-Christian Music and CCM if they sound the same. Some of you might say the lyrics but do you even read them and the lyrics are just made so people feel less guilty for listening to CCM. God says to be hot or cold not warm, in other words listen to Non Christian Music or Real God Music not to CCM, which is a mixture of both Christian Lyrics and Non Christian Music..

$ummertime$adne$$, what do u think is Real God Music? What type of music do u listen to? I just want
to know so that I can try listening to it too :)
"Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."--1 Timothy 4:12

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36534

• SuperStar
  • Thank you received: 6
$ummertime$adne$$ wrote:

Now I'm confused. Weren't you talking about how awesome Family Guy and twerking are in different threads? Who are you to say what is good and what is bad? Just asking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker, mittens92999, That Girl in the Corner, 12pearlygates

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36536

• cynthia200
  • Thank you received: 271
$ummertime$adne$$ wrote:

@$ummertime$adne$$ YES!!! I agree with you!! I can't stand it how everyone has a problem with contemporary music, but CCM is okay, just because it says "God" and Jesus" a few times. I think that most CCM is more "rock"-y than most most the contemporary music (I listen to). For example: What's sounds more worldly? "Say Something" by AGBW ft. Christina Aguilera, (A beautiful, beautiful song, look it up) OR "Until the Whole World Hears" by Casting Crowns? (rock, heavy metal song by them.) Def. Casting crowns. There's lots of GOOD contemporary music, and there's lots of Worldly-Sounding Christian Music. I've given up on CCM long ago. I listen to contemporary, and I stick with Hymns and Classical. Don't try to mix the good with the bad. Just keep them separate.
~Cynthia~ :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myles80, $ummertime$adne$$, BasketballGirl!!!

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36548

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1213
SuperStar wrote:
$ummertime$adne$$ wrote:

Now I'm confused. Weren't you talking about how awesome Family Guy and twerking are in different threads? Who are you to say what is good and what is bad? Just asking.

Good question. It could have been worded differently, but it's a good question.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: SDAhorseGirl, That Girl in the Corner, 12pearlygates

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36554

• mknz12
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Just another one of God's many beloved daughters!
  • Thank you received: 264
Okay CCM is completely appropriate, if you actually open up to the lyrics and get past the way the instruments sound or if it has drums or if it has a beat, you can hear the singer actually praising God in the song. @ThatGirlInTheCorner, PLEASE don't stop listening or dancing to a song that worships God just because it has electric guitar or drums in it. It's all in the lyrics. And about the dancing, I really really love rocking out in my room to my favorite pop and Christian pop songs because it gets me energized and on fire and I feel like I can do anything for three minutes :woohoo: it's a great feeling. And the song speaks to me because that's the kind of music I like, not saying slow songs are bad either. People like different things, that's why different genres of Christian music is out there. To minister to different people. :)
////////////////////////////////////////

You keep me steady when the sky is falling
And I'll keep steady after You,
I'll carry on when my strength is failing
Take heart cause You're with me
So let the stars drop,
Whatever comes I'll be ready
You keep me steady

~for KING & COUNTRY, Steady
The following user(s) said Thank You: That Girl in the Corner, goodhumorguy1, Prov17, 12pearlygates

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36576

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2974
@cynthia, I love listening to classical music!! :woohoo:

@skillet79, its funny that you mentioned David dancing becuz i was just reading about it this morning from Patriarchs and Prophets. Here's what it said (its not as long as you think):

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

David’s dancing in reverent joy before God has been cited by pleasure lovers in justification of the fashionable modern dance, but there is no ground for such an argument. In our day dancing is associated with folly and midnight reveling. Health and morals are sacrificed to pleasure. By the frequenters of the ballroom God is not an object of thought and reverence; prayer or the song of praise would be felt to be out of place in their assemblies. This test should be decisive. Amusements that have a tendency to weaken the love for sacred things and lessen our joy in the service of God are not to be sought by Christians. The music and dancing in joyful praise to God at the removal of the ark had not the faintest resemblance to the dissipation of modern dancing. The one tended to the remembrance of God and exalted His holy name. The other is a device of Satan to cause men to forget God and to dishonor Him.

Sooo, yeah let me know what you guys think about that...not trying to challenge anyone or anything though...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tasha1507, bush possum, Chickadee, hjg4728

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36750

mknz wrote:
Okay CCM is completely appropriate, if you actually open up to the lyrics and get past the way the instruments sound or if it has drums or if it has a beat, you can hear the singer actually praising God in the song. @ThatGirlInTheCorner, PLEASE don't stop listening or dancing to a song that worships God just because it has electric guitar or drums in it. It's all in the lyrics. And about the dancing, I really really love rocking out in my room to my favorite pop and Christian pop songs because it gets me energized and on fire and I feel like I can do anything for three minutes :woohoo: it's a great feeling. And the song speaks to me because that's the kind of music I like, not saying slow songs are bad either. People like different things, that's why different genres of Christian music is out there. To minister to different people. :)

Thanks :) I see a lot of people saying that CCM is bad. Classical music may be nice for some people, but I like to hear WORDS that praise God or that apply to my Christian life. Everyone has different opinions, and that's okay. :) The world would be boring if everyone thought the same way or had the same opinions. But as for me and my house, we will continue to listen to CCM ;) :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: mknz12, goodhumorguy1, 12pearlygates

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36808

• Liv4You
  • Thank you received: 5
U see, us teens these days we like upbeat, cool, pop kind of music and to get us really, really interested in Christian music is to put a bit of upbeat to it. I think it is ok to like that kind of music but as long as the message is there and u know right away the artist is singing about God. I also like slow contemporary Christian music too. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: goodhumorguy1

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36893

@superstar I have a different point of view on different things. If you are talking about music I have an Opinion, and if you talk about TV I have another.

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 3 years 8 months ago #36894

I agree :)cynthia200 wrote:
$ummertime$adne$$ wrote:

@$ummertime$adne$$ YES!!! I agree with you!! I can't stand it how everyone has a problem with contemporary music, but CCM is okay, just because it says "God" and Jesus" a few times. I think that most CCM is more "rock"-y than most most the contemporary music (I listen to). For example: What's sounds more worldly? "Say Something" by AGBW ft. Christina Aguilera, (A beautiful, beautiful song, look it up) OR "Until the Whole World Hears" by Casting Crowns? (rock, heavy metal song by them.) Def. Casting crowns. There's lots of GOOD contemporary music, and there's lots of Worldly-Sounding Christian Music. I've given up on CCM long ago. I listen to contemporary, and I stick with Hymns and Classical. Don't try to mix the good with the bad. Just keep them separate.

To Dance or Not to Dance 3 years 7 months ago #37789

• Big al
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Thank you received: 225
is it okay for dance to be preformed in church is one of the biggest controversies of my church.
I want your input and opinion
I value and respect everyone's opinion :)
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It

Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 2 years 6 months ago #45664

• ParisIs4_Me
  • "If you dream it you can do it."
  • Thank you received: 109
I believe if we want to listen to CCM that's fine if we listen to hymns and classical that's fine too. But here's my personal opinion, no need to scream at me because I'm not screaming at you, no need to get worked up either.
I would rather listen to music that goes faster than I talk and is upbeat than sing something written like three hundred years ago and not feel like I'm making a joyful noise unto the Lord but rather a chanting/mumbling noise unto the Lord.
But of course their are those pretty contemporary songs too, like Say Something. Just listen to the lyrics of songs you like and decide whether you think they are acceptable or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 12pearlygates

Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 2 years 6 months ago #45989

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 1944
I love contemporary Christian music. Classical and hymns are great, but honestly they make me fall asleep. ( When I was really little, my dad would play classical music and hymns to help me go to sleep. It still works. :P :S ) I want a song that gives me energy!! CCM does that for me. B)
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys

Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 1 year 2 months ago #61034

• maplesyruphotel9
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Thank you received: 131
I love Pop Music!! Because I never really listened to Contemporary Christian Songs before but.. Dancing and Singing to your ffavorite song is great lol I love doing that but I think the reason that they don't have songs like Contemporay Christian in Church is because.. We're supposed to be reverent in Church and not going crazy and singing and dancing.. Just my Opinion :)
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3

BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: SushiCat (My friend and I's channel)

Re: Is Singing/Dancing to Contemporary Christian Songs Wrong? 10 months 3 weeks ago #65721

$ummertime$adne$$ wrote:

My main question to you then is, what counts as "real God music" you could have a contemporary song that has a great message and changes someone's life after hearing it, but then because it is contemporary it's not christian music. Music is used to connect to people. Certain people just can't connect to hymns or slow songs. Just because that is what we've had for a long time doesn't mean it's the only thing.

There was once a story on real time faith about a hip hop artist who was converted and started using hip hop to reach young people in the city where he was from. But because it was hip hop music does that mean it wasn't christian or couldn't be used to reach lives?
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...

Why are you still reading?

I already told you, there's nothing interesting here.
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds