Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: make up or no make up?

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #83999

• Stverno
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Thank you received: 991
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:
Still on the subject of makeup...I was reading through it all cause I'm bored...and I'm still very confused. Why is it considered so wrong and 'unchristian' to wear make up? We could just walk around wearing black, grey, and brown clothes and look very plain, and not braid our hair or anything, "because God made us naturally beautiful." But no. We think it's acceptable to wear pretty dresses and skirts with lace and frills and cute patterns and bright colors, and we think it's okay to put out hair in elaborate braids and curl/straighten it. What's the difference between sparkles in my dress and sparkles on my eyelids? What's the difference between a pink skirt and pink lipstick? How come curling my naturally straight hair is okay but putting on eyeliner is unacceptable?

Make up becomes wrong when it becomes an idol. When you base your worth and beauty solely on what make up you wear and how you look, that's when it becomes wrong. But anything can become an idol. Even our clothes can become idols, but do we say clothes are wrong? (I'm not talking about being immodest, I'm talking about thinking only pretty clothes can make you beautiful)

God made masterpieces when He made us, and we shouldn't be ashamed of how we look, or think we should depend on powder and ink to be beautiful. But on the other hand, it's just powder and ink. If you want to do something a little extra, or if you want to play with different colors (have you seen some of the eyeshadow designs makeup artists have done??? Such talent! It's gorgeous!) or if you want to clean up a little for picture day or whatever, you're still beautiful. God still loves you.

Makeup does not define you. You are beautiful with and without it. God loves you with and without it. You can go to church with and without it. Your significant other should be able to accept and love you with and without it.

It's not tattoos or piercings. It's makeup. It's fine. Chill, guys.
The problem with make up is that you are trying to be something which you are actually not, therefore you are deceiving ppl.
The other the bible never said you can't braid your hair and wear "pretty" stuff

This what Ellen White says
"“Let us remember that the elements of beauty lie not so much in feature and color as in the expression of intelligence and benevolence. The use of lipstick, unnatural shades of fingernail polish and similar cosmetics employed in the common ‘make-up’ partake of the artificial and are out of keeping with Christian simplicity. Cleanliness and Christlike modesty should also be observed in the care and grooming of the person seeking at all times to please and rightly represent Christ our Lord."

But, remember that in Ellen White's day, (1800s) makeup was usually worn by young women who were out to draw attention to themselves. That's kinda the attitude of 1 Timothy 2:9.
Basically, don't wear stuff to attract attention to yourself in a self-praising manner. In today's world, no one notices if you wear a bit of makeup. You're not glorifying yourself, so it should be okay.

I don't wear makeup. I find it too hard to put on, and frankly I just don't care for it. But if other girls/women feel more at ease and confident wearing some makeup, I don't see why they can't.

NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
The administrator has disabled public write access.

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84002

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 1971
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:
Still on the subject of makeup...I was reading through it all cause I'm bored...and I'm still very confused. Why is it considered so wrong and 'unchristian' to wear make up? We could just walk around wearing black, grey, and brown clothes and look very plain, and not braid our hair or anything, "because God made us naturally beautiful." But no. We think it's acceptable to wear pretty dresses and skirts with lace and frills and cute patterns and bright colors, and we think it's okay to put out hair in elaborate braids and curl/straighten it. What's the difference between sparkles in my dress and sparkles on my eyelids? What's the difference between a pink skirt and pink lipstick? How come curling my naturally straight hair is okay but putting on eyeliner is unacceptable?

Make up becomes wrong when it becomes an idol. When you base your worth and beauty solely on what make up you wear and how you look, that's when it becomes wrong. But anything can become an idol. Even our clothes can become idols, but do we say clothes are wrong? (I'm not talking about being immodest, I'm talking about thinking only pretty clothes can make you beautiful)

God made masterpieces when He made us, and we shouldn't be ashamed of how we look, or think we should depend on powder and ink to be beautiful. But on the other hand, it's just powder and ink. If you want to do something a little extra, or if you want to play with different colors (have you seen some of the eyeshadow designs makeup artists have done??? Such talent! It's gorgeous!) or if you want to clean up a little for picture day or whatever, you're still beautiful. God still loves you.

Makeup does not define you. You are beautiful with and without it. God loves you with and without it. You can go to church with and without it. Your significant other should be able to accept and love you with and without it.

The problem with make up is that you are trying to be something which you are actually not, therefore you are deceiving ppl.
The other the bible never said you can't braid your hair and wear "pretty" stuff

"“Let us remember that the elements of beauty lie not so much in feature and color as in the expression of intelligence and benevolence. The use of lipstick, unnatural shades of fingernail polish and similar cosmetics employed in the common ‘make-up’ partake of the artificial and are out of keeping with Christian simplicity. Cleanliness and Christlike modesty should also be observed in the care and grooming of the person seeking at all times to please and rightly represent Christ our Lord."

@kwesi
Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear. 1 peter 3:3
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84005

• Stverno
Kwesi wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:

But, remember that in Ellen White's day, (1800s) makeup was usually worn by young women who were out to draw attention to themselves. That's kinda the attitude of 1 Timothy 2:9.
Basically, don't wear stuff to attract attention to yourself in a self-praising manner. In today's world, no one notices if you wear a bit of makeup. You're not glorifying yourself, so it should be okay.

I don't wear makeup. I find it too hard to put on, and frankly I just don't care for it. But if other girls/women feel more at ease and confident wearing some makeup, I don't see why they can't.
I have no problem with a little make up. The problem is having on too much make up and trying to be something you are actually not. Most guys don't like girls who put on a lot of make up b/c they are fake.
And also wearing make up is bad for your skin

The thing is, many women don't wear makeup for guys. They wear it for themselves, because they like to apply it. It's a form of art for them. :side:

NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogluvergirl101

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84007

mittens92999 wrote:
notturningaside wrote:
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
Young kids nowadays with their different supposedly cool acronyms
I mean, it's not THAT new...
yeah... i learned it from growing up with a whole bunch of 90's babies (though, none of them have ever driven an 80's mercedes...)

Haha! I wonder if I'm the only one who will get that reference....
I am so happy someone actually got it!!!! :woohoo:
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84009

Ok, I'm a guy so forgive me for stating my opinion, but let me say this, makeup is not inherently evil, it can certainly become an obsession, but in moderation is not nesesarilly a bad thing. However, it is not very good for your skin long term, which is honestly why I'm not really in favor of it, however, wearing it doesn't make you a bad Christian, even the verse in 1 peter 3:3 doesn't really say out adornment is bad, it just emphasizes that you don't want to be a (paraphrasing Jesus here) whitewashed tomb that's beautiful on the outside, even a work of art, but on the inside is empty things, and death and destruction. So, it's not wrong, but like many things, if you choose to do it, do in moderation, don't go all human Barbie
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84020

• Stverno
Kwesi wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:

I have no problem with a little make up. The problem is having on too much make up and trying to be something you are actually not. Most guys don't like girls who put on a lot of make up b/c they are fake.

The thing is, many women don't wear makeup for guys. They wear it for themselves, because they like to apply it. It's a form of art for them. :side:
If you have been to my old high school then you would say the opposite

I see.

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84023

• TravelPastel
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Thank you received: 603
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:

Use makeup to enhance your appearance, not cover it up.
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
Also don't look at my profile cause I definitely didn't put my birthday (year) there now

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84044

• Stverno
Kwesi wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:

And ask yourself why do women wear make up in the 21st century?
I think the answer will the same reason why women wore makeup in 18th century

Many women wear makeup to feel more confident about themselves. Similarly to the way people like to go out in nice clothes, they like to go out wearing makeup.

Personally, I find it sad that we as a society have degraded others to the point that they need to wear makeup to feel confident about their appearance, but that's just me.

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84060

• bush possum
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Thank you received: 1139
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:

And ask yourself why do women wear make up in the 21st century?
I think the answer will the same reason why women wore makeup in 18th century

Many women wear makeup to feel more confident about themselves. Similarly to the way people like to go out in nice clothes, they like to go out wearing makeup.

Personally, I find it sad that we as a society have degraded others to the point that they need to wear makeup to feel confident about their appearance, but that's just me.
I certainly agree with your last paragraph!
However, coming from a girl who would wear a little makeup but knows that if she started she wouldn't be able to stop, the reason that girls wear makeup to feel more confident is because they believe that more people will like them if they're beautiful, thus making them feel popular, in control, and having value. Also, notice how how the definition of a "little amount of makeup" changes from fashion season to fashion season? A couple of years ago, it would have been defined as a bit of foundation and a smear of brightly coloured lipstick. Now it's more along natural lines. It'll probably change again in a couple of months, which goes to show how much those insecure people are influenced by the fashion trends. They think that by being in fashion people will respect them more.

Also, @whoever said that no one these days would notice if you wore a bit of makeup, I will lol. I pick up really quickly whether someone is wearing makeup or not...
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04, Stverno

make up or no make up? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84079

• dogluvergirl101
  • Shakespeare is awesome. Just sayin'. #theatrekid
  • Thank you received: 101
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
Stverno wrote:
Kwesi wrote:
dogluvergirl101 wrote:

Ok, but I know that the "elements of beauty" do not depend on what color your lips are or how sharp your cheekbones are or how long your eyelashes are. I know that I am absolutely stunning without any makeup whatsoever. But if I still want to change things up a bit and do some pretty eyeshadow or blush or a cute lipstick, how is that wrong? It's no different than deciding I want to curl my hair today for no reason than to look cute, or putting on pretty shoes for no reason but to add an extra boost of "I'm feeling good today." Makeup is like an accessory, like a cute purse or scarf or headband. It's just something pretty you put on just because.

And about the deception...I don't think I'm deceiving anyone. It's pretty obvious that my lips aren't naturally a dark pink or that my eyelashes aren't naturally black. You think it's wrong to "deceive" someone into thinking I naturally have rosy cheeks?

And I don't do makeup for guys. I do whatever I feel like for me, and if a guy happens to like whatever I happen to be doing, whether it be makeup or no makeup or curled hair or heels or a glittery sweater or sweatpants and tennis shoes or straight hair or whatever I feel like doing, then whoopdedoo for them. If I do makeup, I do it for me. If I want to wear a pretty dress to go to Walmart or attend a party in sweatpants and a t shirt, I do it for me. And my boyfriend doesn't care what I'm wearing as far as my clothes or my makeup. He thinks I'm beautiful as a person both ways. And that's how girls should think of themselves. Beautiful human beings no matter what they wear, makeup or not.

Obviously if someone has decided that they are only beautiful if they wear makeup, and if they're trying to attract guys' attention with makeup, then makeup turns into a problem. It's the way you approach the makeup, not the makeup itself.
"Art is when the mind shuts off and the heart takes its turn to speak. Whether it's music, paint, theatre, writing, or what have you; each heart has its own voice.

"What is your heart trying to say?"

- Aunt Katherine from énoument (a quote from a book I'm writing)
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds