Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Certain instruments in the church

Certain instruments in the church 5 years 2 months ago #10420

There are some SDA churches that are really old-fashioned and have kept some old-fashioned rules (like you have to cover your head if you are a woman and going up on the pulpit, etc.) One of these "rules" is the use of no drums in the church, or guitars (other than acoustic). My church has this invisible "rule". I have heard adults call these instruments "satanic" and that only boys should play these instruments, well I am a girl and I play both and plan to play them in church in a respective way. I think it's okay to play these instruments in church as long as you're playing them in a respective not overly loud way. In Ellen White's time, they thought the piano and organ were satanic and here we are today, a piano and/or organ in every SDA church, times will change and so will rules, so no biggie. I'm just wondering if any of you have any of these old-fashioned "rules" in your church or what instruments are in your church?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mknz12

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 2 months ago #10633

• Living4Christ.
  • God is a Lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
  • Thank you received: 119
It doesn't matter what instrument you play, as long as you are homouring God through it. And about the covering your head thing. Women/girls should dress modestly and appropriatly (AND MEN and boys) but that is a little extreme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Violingirl1, sunnyside1

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 2 months ago #10635

• Living4Christ.
  • God is a Lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
  • Thank you received: 119
Okay we have a college by our church so we play guitar, drums, vilin, paino, organ...SO MANY....theres a band so like...all of the band instruments.

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 2 months ago #10670

This can be a very touchy subject. In my church we hold to the "no drums" rule as well. My advice to you is that you should be aware of those worshipping with you. Even though you may think it's perfectly fine and worshipful, others may have a hard time being focused on God while you are playing. In fact, it may turn them away. This by no means means that you can never do it. If you are, just slowly work it in in a considerate matter (for example: start with something like a small bongo or something like that instead of an entire set). At our church, it took some time to work in acoustic guitars, but after a few years, we now have a bass guitar in addition to acoustics without visible conflict. Although, I have to say that we are staying away from drums completely out of consideration for others.

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 1 month ago #11049

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1214
But there are other sda churches. If they have a problem, then they can transfer membership.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Violingirl1, purple_A

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 1 month ago #11089

• mariko
  • Thank you received: 11
I agree.My church wants me to participate in services.Then they ask me what instrument i play, I'll say drums... "nevermind"
Why do people say drums and all "modern" instruments are against God.
まりこ 梶浦
The following user(s) said Thank You: Violingirl1

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 1 month ago #11117

• dancer4god
  • I love God!
  • Thank you received: 279
I don't see what people have against drums. I like listening to a band called Petra. They are a Christian ROCK band from like 20 or 30 years ago. (PS if any Petra members read this and I made you guys a lot older than you are, sorry!) One of my fav christian songs, Heart of a Hero, is theirs. Some people talk bout how E.G. White said that the end of time is at hand when drums enter the church. But she doesn't say that they're bad or that they cause sin. In fact, doesn't that mean that we would want drums in church? I mean it's not like we can make God come when we want, but don't we want to embrace signs of his soon coming? Just my opinion.

The fearless giant faced a brave young sheperd boy. Said, "Your god is dead and your nation soon destroyed. But the son of Jesse knew what God could do with the heart of a hero. Three men refused to bow to the idol made of gold. They knew they could burn for not doing what they're told. They'd rather face the fire than kneel to a god made my hand. It takes the heart of a hero (hear of a hero) to stand for what's right. It takes the heart of a hero (heart of a hero) to lay down your life.) Love that song!
~God's love, wack-a-doodles, and fluffy poodles~
The following user(s) said Thank You: InspiredThinker

Re: Certain instruments in the church 5 years 1 month ago #11148

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1214
The in the bible drums are used as praise instruments. Miriam leads in praise after God delivers the Israelites from the Egyptians. Psalms 150:5 says praise with the high sounding cymbal.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emerl2

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 5 months ago #27666

• wondergirl
  • Thank you received: 19
Well a guy who comes to our church once brought drums 2 play them ..... I bet they kicked the drums out :lol: just kidding they belonged to him he probably took them home. Nobody seemed 2 have a problem with them idk they were fine with me :)
supergirl for Jesus!

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 5 months ago #28101

• Hyperactive247
  • Psalms 34:7
  • Thank you received: 140
I don't recall anything in the Bible that talks against drums...

Wasn't there some verse in there talking about clapping your hands in praise to God?

But I think some other people are just traumatized. Some churches put their drums SUPER HIGH and I can't hear the singers or the melody!
Let's eat some cookies together! *nibbles on spare cookie*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emerl2

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 5 months ago #28111

• DaughterOfGod13
  • Hawaii :) :) :)
  • Thank you received: 844
In my opinion, drums are perfectly fine. They no doubt used them in the Bible times, as well as clapping their hands, like Binoepic15 said. But you have to look at culture. If people see drums, they're almost sure to think of rock music or something else like that. So I don't think we should have them in church, even if we are going to play them respectfully. Why? Because there is a very real possibility of sending the wrong kind of message to other people.

Soo... ya. :) (best way to end anything)
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding!
The following user(s) said Thank You: purple_A

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 5 months ago #28115

• Godsadvicegiver12
  • God is my FOREVER friend! :)
  • Thank you received: 796
I don't feel that drums are bad if used in the right way. Drums that drown out the melody of the song, that's going to far. At camp, there's a guy who has this little drum thing, but it's quiet. I really like it.

My church doesn't have drums. The main instruments are piano, organ, and guitar (acoustic)
You don't have to be Goliath to succeed, Little Davids can succeed, too :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: purple_A

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 4 months ago #29276

it depends on how you play the instrument, the drums are o k as long you don't go crazy on it and for the guitar (electric) its also o k but some chords are not very churchy

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 4 months ago #29792

• Preciousabby1116
  • The most precious book, THE BIBLE
  • Thank you received: 430
MY church follows these rules too. About the drums in the church. All we have is a piano...

~Abby :cheer: ~
Abby loves you :)

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 4 months ago #29907

we can play any instrument but we have to be careful the way we use them and how we use them. like playing the drums on the 2 and 4 beat instead of the 1 and 3 that's bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaughterOfGod13, DukeHelton, purple_A

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 4 months ago #29972

• sunnyside1
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ready for God
  • Thank you received: 415
We have both piano and organ. We haven't really had any drums or anything and we have had people walk off the street and say THANK YOU! for not having wordly music in the house of our King. When someone starts with it, even in a respectful way, the next generation or two might start treating really disrespectfully. Not saying that you can't of course, just be careful.
Sometimes we worry,
Sometimes we fret.
Sometimes we feel like
We can't move a step.

But God is still with us.
Keep Him in mind.
Trust in Him alway.
He is ever so kind.

Re: Certain instruments in the church 4 years 4 months ago #29986

picklepuppy9 wrote:
TheJaguar wrote:
But there are other sda churches. If they have a problem, then they can transfer membership.

That's what me and my parents did, our former church played drums, rock music, all the kids would jump around and scream wildly when the music gets loud, and the kids were pretty mean to me. So we just switched our membership to Mentone church, AND I NEVER REGRET THAT DESICION!!!! :woohoo: , everybody is nice and the church is pretty traditional (they don't use rock music) but I really like, no not like, LOVE Mentone church!

I dont think worldly beats should be put in churches
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds