Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: School or homeschool

School or homeschool 4 months 3 days ago #83384

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2201
  • Thank you received: 1977
Hey guys. I'm currently trying to decide whether to stay homeschooled or whether I should go to a private Adventist school. What do you guys think?

Here are some pros and cons to going to the private school
Pros: I'd make more friends (I only have 3)
All my classes would be in the same place
It would probably be more fun
Cons: I've never gone to traditional school
They have a not so great math teacher
I may or have to take PE (I hope not, because technically I've done enough for highschool credits.)
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

School or homeschool 4 months 3 days ago #83385

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 893
  • Thank you received: 604
I personally like going to brick and mortar, even tho I'm going to online/homeschool right now.
Even better, an Adventist school.
I have friends who say they hate Adventist private schools, but when they told me the reason, the main reason was because of the people and atmosphere.
Then most friends I have say they like/love it, because of the people and atmosphere.
Personally, I loved it. It was the best school experience I could ask for.

It's up to you, but hopefully whatever God sends you to, you'll enjoy it :)
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
Also don't look at my profile cause I definitely didn't put my birthday (year) there now
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

School or homeschool 4 months 3 days ago #83393

  • emmy01
  • emmy01's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The three R's - read, write, repeat!
  • Posts: 463
  • Thank you received: 619
Coming from an introvert, I'd say STAY HOMESCHOOLED! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! PEOPLE ARE DANGEROUS! DO NOT BE EXPOSED!

But, to be fair, I will temporarily set aside my introvertedness to give you my honest opinion.

I've been homeschooled for my entire educational career, aside from first grade, which doesn't really count. So I'm afraid I'm not all that experienced in the school department.

But my dad taught at a private school, and I've gotta say, it was really a nice place. It felt more like a family than a school, and everyone was nice. Most of the time.

I've also really enjoyed homeschooling, maybe mostly because I'm not into the "people" thing... :lol: I find it funny that you said you have only three friends, because to be honest, that's about the amount of friends I have and I'm fine with it. But of course, we all have different personalities. :)

I also like the really open schedule and how you are able to just feel more free in your timeframes and not feel like there's so much of a deadline.

So I don't really know. I mean, like you said, there's pros and cons to both. I think you should really pray about it and ask God what the best thing would be to do.

Cause the safest place you can be is in His hands. :)
TravelPastel! Happy birthday! Your 16th year of life will be an awesome one as long as Jesus is in it.:)

#MAINEMMYS #EMMYSQUAD
#StvernoIsAFemale #MKIsAFemale #BushpossumIsAFemale #IAmAFemale #FemaleHashtagMovement
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, Mp137, Pyrrhic

School or homeschool 4 months 3 days ago #83402

  • Zipfrost64
  • Zipfrost64's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Basketball is the best sport. Don't @ me
  • Posts: 133
  • Thank you received: 38
I've never been homeschooled so I guess I don't know how I should compare but I would definitely recommend going to an Adventist school if those are your two options.

I'm currently going to one and so far, it's been a good experience for a week.
I'm a shy guy but the people here are really friendly and make it easy to talk to them.

I guess the best thing I can say is to pray about it and see if God's plan is for you to go to private or stay homeschooled.


Forget the king's horses and forget the king's men.
The King is coming back to put us together again.


#Filipino
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

School or homeschool 4 months 2 days ago #83409

  • Stverno
  • Stverno's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Posts: 825
  • Thank you received: 991
If you're worried about education, you can always supplement school with courses at home. Many colleges offer dual credit courses you can take online, and, if they're community/government owned, they're often for free. Andrews, Southern, etc. also offer these courses, but you need to pay a little money.

And, of course, there's always Khan Academy.

There are definitely ups and downs to both school and homeschool. Maybe you should consider trying the 'real' school for one semester or something, and then you can decide if you want to continue it. :side:



NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, Mp137

School or homeschool 3 months 4 weeks ago #83529

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 708
  • Thank you received: 552
Stverno and I were homeschooled for several years, and when we switched to an SDA school we kept using some of our homeschooling textbooks, specifically the math books. We both took math a grade above our respective grade levels and took supplementary math lessons at home. So that's how you could work around the not so great math teacher.

Since you will probably not be able to take college at home, I'd go ahead and go to the school, so that you get used to being in an environment with people.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwesi

School or homeschool 3 months 2 weeks ago #84478

I've been homeschooled since 1st grade, but this year I decided that that's too boring so I've been going to public school since August 17th, and it's gone a lot better than I thought itd be. B) Except for speech class. (BTW if anyone has an informative speech outline about something I know a little about, tell me please).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84509

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3850
  • Thank you received: 3087
Well, I would personally say, as Emmy mentioned, STAY HOMESCHOOLED AND PRESERVE YOUR PURITY CHILD!! buuut, that's just me being biased, seeing that I was home schooled and all. But, like everone else said, there are definitely pros and cons to each schooling method. In real school, you can have flexible schedules and make education work for you (example: postponing a math lesson so that you can go and watch your next door neighbor unload his bull and donkey onto a property next to your house...that was awesome). In the other "real" school, you have more opportinites to make lots of friends (of you like that sort of thing :dry: :whistle: )


Anywho, I'm sure you'll have great learning experiences regardless of whichever "real" school you choose.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04, emmy01

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84514

  • emmy01
  • emmy01's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The three R's - read, write, repeat!
  • Posts: 463
  • Thank you received: 619
Another thing I want to add:

I've always been a very sheltered kid, and I know that really bothers some people, but honestly for me, I'm just thankful my parents care that much...and I've found out that the stuff I'm being sheltered from isn't anything I need to be exposed to. For me, homeschool is great, because I'm really sheltered. Going to driver's ed this summer has made me realize that being sheltered really isn't a bad thing at all - I would have rather stayed away from all that public school jargon... :pinch:

So to me, I would definitely stay homeschooled...but again, I would also pray about it...
TravelPastel! Happy birthday! Your 16th year of life will be an awesome one as long as Jesus is in it.:)

#MAINEMMYS #EMMYSQUAD
#StvernoIsAFemale #MKIsAFemale #BushpossumIsAFemale #IAmAFemale #FemaleHashtagMovement
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84561

emmy01 wrote:
Another thing I want to add:

I've always been a very sheltered kid, and I know that really bothers some people, but honestly for me, I'm just thankful my parents care that much...and I've found out that the stuff I'm being sheltered from isn't anything I need to be exposed to. For me, homeschool is great, because I'm really sheltered. Going to driver's ed this summer has made me realize that being sheltered really isn't a bad thing at all - I would have rather stayed away from all that public school jargon... :pinch:

So to me, I would definitely stay homeschooled...but again, I would also pray about it...
But being sheltered is so boring. I was that until this year and UNsheltered has been so much funner :P
The administrator has disabled public write access.

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84566

  • emmy01
  • emmy01's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The three R's - read, write, repeat!
  • Posts: 463
  • Thank you received: 619
Black_Tiger_11 wrote:
emmy01 wrote:
Another thing I want to add:

I've always been a very sheltered kid, and I know that really bothers some people, but honestly for me, I'm just thankful my parents care that much...and I've found out that the stuff I'm being sheltered from isn't anything I need to be exposed to. For me, homeschool is great, because I'm really sheltered. Going to driver's ed this summer has made me realize that being sheltered really isn't a bad thing at all - I would have rather stayed away from all that public school jargon... :pinch:

So to me, I would definitely stay homeschooled...but again, I would also pray about it...
But being sheltered is so boring. I was that until this year and UNsheltered has been so much funner :P
As I said, I know most people find it very annoying to be sheltered and think that they 'deserve their freedom', but we all have different perspectives, and for me, I was happy to see as little of this ugly world as possible.

I can't possibly imagine that what I'm missing out on is good.

But hey, no offense, right? As I said, we all have different perspectives... :)
TravelPastel! Happy birthday! Your 16th year of life will be an awesome one as long as Jesus is in it.:)

#MAINEMMYS #EMMYSQUAD
#StvernoIsAFemale #MKIsAFemale #BushpossumIsAFemale #IAmAFemale #FemaleHashtagMovement
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84574

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 893
  • Thank you received: 604
emmy01 wrote:
Black_Tiger_11 wrote:
emmy01 wrote:
Another thing I want to add:

I've always been a very sheltered kid, and I know that really bothers some people, but honestly for me, I'm just thankful my parents care that much...and I've found out that the stuff I'm being sheltered from isn't anything I need to be exposed to. For me, homeschool is great, because I'm really sheltered. Going to driver's ed this summer has made me realize that being sheltered really isn't a bad thing at all - I would have rather stayed away from all that public school jargon... :pinch:

So to me, I would definitely stay homeschooled...but again, I would also pray about it...
But being sheltered is so boring. I was that until this year and UNsheltered has been so much funner :P
As I said, I know most people find it very annoying to be sheltered and think that they 'deserve their freedom', but we all have different perspectives, and for me, I was happy to see as little of this ugly world as possible.

I can't possibly imagine that what I'm missing out on is good.

But hey, no offense, right? As I said, we all have different perspectives... :)
Lol when I moved to a bigger SDA brick and mortar school (Cause the church school I went to before was so small it was practically home-school), my shelter was ripped apart and I was exposed to things that took away my purity at a young age x)

Moral of le story, it's different for everyone
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
Also don't look at my profile cause I definitely didn't put my birthday (year) there now
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: emmy01

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84582

  • emmykitty
  • emmykitty's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Don't be lasagna.
  • Posts: 730
  • Thank you received: 311
ok im like so late but HERE WE GO!!
so I currently go to a private Adventist boarding academy, and this particular one I go to makes me feel at home so much! I've heard about other adventist academies that don't really have that homey atmosphere, but i totally recommend Adventist boarding schools (as long as you choose the right one!!)!!!!! :cheer: :cheer:


#MAINEMMYS #EMMYSQUAD
The administrator has disabled public write access.

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84621

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1015
  • Thank you received: 405
HOMESCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84639

  • jGod8865
  • jGod8865's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Pollo y Papa Frita
  • Posts: 518
  • Thank you received: 183
Go to to the physical school.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

School or homeschool 3 months 1 week ago #84751

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 708
  • Thank you received: 552
TravelPastel wrote:
emmy01 wrote:
Black_Tiger_11 wrote:
emmy01 wrote:
Another thing I want to add:

I've always been a very sheltered kid, and I know that really bothers some people, but honestly for me, I'm just thankful my parents care that much...and I've found out that the stuff I'm being sheltered from isn't anything I need to be exposed to. For me, homeschool is great, because I'm really sheltered. Going to driver's ed this summer has made me realize that being sheltered really isn't a bad thing at all - I would have rather stayed away from all that public school jargon... :pinch:

So to me, I would definitely stay homeschooled...but again, I would also pray about it...
But being sheltered is so boring. I was that until this year and UNsheltered has been so much funner :P
As I said, I know most people find it very annoying to be sheltered and think that they 'deserve their freedom', but we all have different perspectives, and for me, I was happy to see as little of this ugly world as possible.

I can't possibly imagine that what I'm missing out on is good.

But hey, no offense, right? As I said, we all have different perspectives... :)
Lol when I moved to a bigger SDA brick and mortar school (Cause the church school I went to before was so small it was practically home-school), my shelter was ripped apart and I was exposed to things that took away my purity at a young age x)

Moral of le story, it's different for everyone
I was sheltered too, and missing out on fun was never the issue for me (in fact, I found people's reactions to my lack of knowledge pretty amusing). If you're missing out on something that's fun and appropriate, your parents probably just don't know it exists or they never thought to introduce it to you. The only real problems you could get from being overly sheltered is social awkwardness and naivety about controversial subjects. However, these aren't hard to remedy, so practically there is little problem with being sheltered.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds