Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sexist dress codes

Sexist dress codes 1 year 2 months ago #60088

• Sk8er4God
  • Allons-y!
  • Thank you received: 255
Does anyone else feels like school dress codes these days are extremely sexist against females? I mean, I get that the restrictions are there so that girls don't become too much of a "distraction" but with that logic, you could blame a store for being stolen from because it has a cash register.

People always wonder why girls feel uncomfortable about their bodies, but they never consider the strict limitations girls have about the way they dress. They can't show their shoulders, collarbone, ANY part of their thigh or kneecap.

What are we supposed to do? Honestly.
Has anyone ever seen a dress with sleeves?

Oh and apparently a simple wristband or wedding ring is focusing too much on the outward appearance to be considered "godly"
M-mental
A-abuse
T-to
H-humans

Just kidding I like math.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tbhorse, Going4God, Mp137

Sexist dress codes 1 year 2 months ago #60183

• Going4God
  • Thank you received: 241
Sk8er4God wrote:
Does anyone else feels like school dress codes these days are extremely sexist against females? I mean, I get that the restrictions are there so that girls don't become too much of a "distraction" but with that logic, you could blame a store for being stolen from because it has a cash register.

People always wonder why girls feel uncomfortable about their bodies, but they never consider the strict limitations girls have about the way they dress. They can't show their shoulders, collarbone, ANY part of their thigh or kneecap.

Oh and apparently a simple wristband or wedding ring is focusing too much on the outward appearance to be considered "godly"

PREACH.

honestly at this point, the girls where I live essentially just dress the way they please (unless they try to go naked), and the boys are taught to respect them. the dress code at the school from which I just graduated required the midsection to be covered, sleeves to be at least three fingers wide, shirts not to be excessively low cut, and for shorts to not be underwear (even though they hardly actually enforced the rules), which is reasonable to me, although most girls don't follow that code outside of school.
I find it ridiculous when schools strictly prohibit body parts such as collarbones and knees to be exposed, but don't bat an eye when a guy wears a shirt with demoralizing or inappropriate writing or images displayed.
you are beautiful.
you are worth it.
you are amazing.

Sexist dress codes 1 year 2 months ago #60198

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 507
Those rules don't apply everywhere. But when they do, they can be overly complicated. Being a guy, I can't say I relate to this. But when the topic of dress code pops up in discussions about, say, an upcoming school outing, it can become unnecessarily complicated. Are you complaining about any school specifically? I find it hard to generalize things like this.

Being a guy, dress code never concerns me and I don't take it very seriously; just to the point that I respect and follow its regulations.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.

Sexist dress codes 1 year 2 months ago #60201

• maplesyruphotel9
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Thank you received: 130
Oh my goodness YASS Its so ANNOYING like The school that my sister was just going to was like so bad with the Dress codes... There Like Saying You pretty much can show any skin cuz its "revealing" like Why does girls shorts have to be to their knees?? And at my sisters school it has to be like in an exact inches and everything... I do not understand these things :silly: lol
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3
I love Kpop like My Sister On Guide: Minifat :D
BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: AnimalJammer09
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionarykid

Sexist dress codes 1 year 2 months ago #60223

• depool14
  • Thank you received: 11
Yes they are i went on a mission trip and it was very hot so us guys put are shirts like crop tops (it was funny) :lol: but then when the girls tried to do that they where told not to. :huh:

Sexist dress codes 1 year 1 month ago #60408

• Stverno
  • NOW ONLINE
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Thank you received: 981
Yeah.. I guess I can see how some people would feel stunted in their creativity.... But, on the bright side, there are a bunch of ways you can be creative in your look! Try doing something different with your hair, or upcycle some old t-shirts or something. You could wear clown makeup to school, or ride in on a unicycle :silly: The point is, there are a bunch of ways you could stand out in school!

Take this for what it is: Free, unsolicited fashion advice from a girl who wears whatever is on the top of her drawer, (i.e. T-shirts and jeans), and feels extremely uncomfortable wearing anything that exposes thigh, collarbone, etc.

NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE

Sexist dress codes 1 year 1 month ago #60564

• Birdie500
  • No one understands my love for that horse smell...
  • Thank you received: 311
THANKYOU!! I love this post
To ride on a horse is to fly without wings. XD
In my life, be lifted high
In our world, be lifted high
In our love, be lifted high
Random lyrics in my signature cause I'm weird XD
----Channy----

Sexist dress codes 1 year 1 month ago #60666

• Servant
  • Serve God
  • Thank you received: 59
Shouldn't we as girls dress modestly? We don't want to be lusted after.
Politics and the Christian faith should be combined. So I am now against Hillary as well as Trump. I can no longer support a homo supporting baby-killer. Nor can I support an unrepentant adulterer. God will judge them both.
~Servant
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, mittens92999, Goatlover

Sexist dress codes 1 year 1 month ago #60693

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1208
Sk8er4God wrote:

This isn't exclusive to the secular portion of the world either. I remember when I first started at Oakwood, the girls were told to follow the dress code not because as Seventh-day Adventists we believe in dressing modestly, but to "avoid distracting the men."

That's a very dangerous mindset, because in cases of assault, the blame is placed on the victim (usually a woman), and the questions shift to what she was wearing and if she provoked him, when the assault wasn't even her fault.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: tasha1507, Marme101, mylhu1011, Going4God

Sexist dress codes 1 year 3 weeks ago #61446

• lovenikki7
  • Thank you received: 18
WHY can't you be a pricipal at my school?!?!?!?

jk but you are kinda inspiring. I was sooo glad you said that! If I could, I would give your comment 10,000 thank-you's ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mylhu1011

Sexist dress codes 1 year 1 week ago #61792

• mknz12
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Just another one of God's many beloved daughters!
  • Thank you received: 263
Collarbone is ridiculous. I've never heard of that; I'm glad my school doesn't have it, because I would rebel...

But I totally agree with you. My school has some pretty fair dress codes for both genders but I've heard about girls getting dress coded for showing shoulders and boys getting away with it just fine... NOT FAIR PEOPLE

And people who make those one-sided rules act like girls aren't physically attracted to boys, just like they are to us! Like making a girl wear a one-piece swimsuit (which I personally don't mind doing in all honesty) and letting the guy get in the pool shirtless... umm, people, girls DO notice muscles and six-packs. I'm not saying every girl drools and melts or even cares when she sees a shirtless guy, all I'm saying is that it goes both ways.

Sorry if I'm too straightforward for anybody, I like to keep it real XD
////////////////////////////////////////

You keep me steady when the sky is falling
And I'll keep steady after You,
I'll carry on when my strength is failing
Take heart cause You're with me
So let the stars drop,
Whatever comes I'll be ready
You keep me steady

~for KING & COUNTRY, Steady
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

Sexist dress codes 1 year 4 days ago #61907

InspiredThinker wrote:
Sk8er4God wrote:

This isn't exclusive to the secular portion of the world either. I remember when I first started at Oakwood, the girls were told to follow the dress code not because as Seventh-day Adventists we believe in dressing modestly, but to "avoid distracting the men."

That's a very dangerous mindset, because in cases of assault, the blame is placed on the victim (usually a woman), and the questions shift to what she was wearing and if she provoked him, when the assault wasn't even her fault.

I personally have never heard of the woman being blamed for her clothing in a case of assault. The thing is, being modest in our clothing really do affect guys...I'm not saying that it's all our fault if a guy objectifies us, but what we wear does say a lot about ourselves and I've chosen to dress modestly so that the guys who come in contact with me aren't drawn to my body...and ultimately, I do it because God made me and didn't create us to show off what we got.

Sexist dress codes 11 months 2 weeks ago #63062

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 1941
mknz12 wrote:
Collarbone is ridiculous. I've never heard of that; I'm glad my school doesn't have it, because I would rebel...

But I totally agree with you. My school has some pretty fair dress codes for both genders but I've heard about girls getting dress coded for showing shoulders and boys getting away with it just fine... NOT FAIR PEOPLE

And people who make those one-sided rules act like girls aren't physically attracted to boys, just like they are to us! Like making a girl wear a one-piece swimsuit (which I personally don't mind doing in all honesty) and letting the guy get in the pool shirtless... umm, people, girls DO notice muscles and six-packs. I'm not saying every girl drools and melts or even cares when she sees a shirtless guy, all I'm saying is that it goes both ways.

Sorry if I'm too straightforward for anybody, I like to keep it real XD

Exactly. Often the reason girls wear immodest clothing to attract guys they see wearing immodest clothing in the first place. It's a vicious cycle, really.
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys

Sexist dress codes 10 months 2 weeks ago #64699

• emmykitty
  • Don't be lasagna.
  • Thank you received: 294
Our dress code says no skirts/shorts above four inches above the knee. And we have to wear polo shirts.
The school I hope to attend next year says skirts/dresses should be no more than two inches above the knee.

#MAINEMMYS #EMMYSQUAD
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds