Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What if????

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82815

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 48
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:
Suppose, just suppose, that light had a mass of .2mg, and you put a standard 40w incandescent bulb in a pitch black room. Three feet away is a 3in in diameter tube, with an 8oz roller inside. now, the tube it's in is indefinitely long, just so the final measurement isn't affected by the sudden end of a pipe, now say the bulb was turned on for precisely 2sec. and each photon has a mass of .2 mg, how far would the roller go?
make sure you factor in the approx amount of photons, the friction factor, the mass of photons, speed, and air pressure, and any other variables that I missed.

I'm sorry but this is gibberish...
It is entirely impossible for a photon to have a mass of 0.2 mg. Remember, an atom doesn't even come close to having a mass of 0.2 mg, and an atom's mass is measured in moles. Photons are smaller than atoms.

Second, photons DO NOT have mass.
They are massless and are not matter

So based on these scientific errors, I believe the original poster is messing with brains
If you read what I said, it was hypothetical. I know they don't, because if they did, no one could hold anything that produced light, not to mention, everything would be ripped apart into atoms if they did.
COUNTRY'S GOOD OK!!! IF YA DONT BELIVE ME?! listen to three wooden crosses, and what ifs, and drunk on you, and forever country. THATS MY opinion...

results may very......
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82827

• Pyrrhic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 153
I feel dumb.

If only I could even talk smart.

But I can't.

Cuz I'm dumb.

LOLOLOLOL
Pyrrhic - means won a victory!

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82835

• SirGeneralCliche
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 552
Fun fact: light does actually push you just a tiny bit: you technically weigh more during the day than at night.
(Source: Vsauce)

Here's another question: Suppose you're in space, and a button is a light year away from you. You have a pole that is a lightyear long. You push it in order to press the button. Have you broken the speed of light?
(Source: Also Vsauce)
All rules have exceptions, including this one.

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82839

nadcombo wrote:
Suppose, just suppose, that light had a mass of .2mg, and you put a standard 40w incandescent bulb in a pitch black room. Three feet away is a 3in in diameter tube, with an 8oz roller inside. now, the tube it's in is indefinitely long, just so the final measurement isn't affected by the sudden end of a pipe, now say the bulb was turned on for precisely 2sec. and each photon has a mass of .2 mg, how far would the roller go?
make sure you factor in the approx amount of photons, the friction factor, the mass of photons, speed, and air pressure, and any other variables that I missed.
this is virtually impossible to answer satisfactorily... different fields, and different theories would present different answers... but off the top of my head... roughly 6 units i think, but im no physicist, or mathematician
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82840

ps. @nadcombo, drive a properly upgraded STI, then bash on 4 cylinders :whistle:
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82861

• Chickadee
  • I love dogs!!
  • Thank you received: 211
nadcombo wrote:
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:

It is entirely impossible for a photon to have a mass of 0.2 mg. Remember, an atom doesn't even come close to having a mass of 0.2 mg, and an atom's mass is measured in moles. Photons are smaller than atoms.

So based on these scientific errors, I believe the original poster is messing with brains
If you read what I said, it was hypothetical. I know they don't, because if they did, no one could hold anything that produced light, not to mention, everything would be ripped apart into atoms if they did.

A hypothesis can be tested. This cannot be tested .

If the photons had a mass of .2 mg the light bulb could not emit them.

You also would have to know the weight of the roller and tube.

Along with a better much of other factors....

Photons are not tiny objects
This whole setup is impossible

If you really want the do a Newtonian physics scenario don't use photons and twist scientific facts

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82864

• Tuftedtitmouse
  • oh, by the way, im a boy
  • Thank you received: 70
This is abuse of quantum physics...

But I'll give the best answer I can...

Ok this amazing light bulb can obviously radiate the same amount of photons that a normal 40 watt light bulb with massless photons apparently so...
Practically millions of kilograms of photons are striking this tiny roller...

So, basically it seems as if this roller is accelerated at the speed of light for 2 seconds (I think... oh boy this really defies quantum physics.....)
Which means this roller travels approx. the distance light travels in 2 sec...
600,000,000 meters!

( apparently the pipe won't move... )

This is the most logical answer I can give from a question that defies quantum physics.
before you say im a mouse google tufted titmouse

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82890

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
notturningaside wrote:
ps. @nadcombo, drive a properly upgraded STI, then bash on 4 cylinders :whistle:
Yea, the only exception to my signature is the wrx sti, and btw, they already come heavily upgraded over the standard wrx. and the inline 5 is another exception. I know it's not a 4 banger, but it sounds amazing.
COUNTRY'S GOOD OK!!! IF YA DONT BELIVE ME?! listen to three wooden crosses, and what ifs, and drunk on you, and forever country. THATS MY opinion...

results may very......

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82891

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:

If you really want the do a Newtonian physics scenario don't use photons and twist scientific facts
like I said. it's hypothetical. the reason for the explanation is so that people like you don't say, well where does the light come from? or the light won't go there. It's HYPOTHETICAL!! it doesn't have to make sense. the point the equation is asking is how far an 8oz roller goes if hit by a 20g object moving at the speed of light. and the only thing that goes that fast IS light. hence the photons with measurable mass.

results may very......

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82904

• Tuftedtitmouse
nadcombo wrote:
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:

like I said. it's hypothetical. the reason for the explanation is so that people like you don't say, well where does the light come from? or the light won't go there. It's HYPOTHETICAL!! it doesn't have to make sense. the point the equation is asking is how far an 8oz roller goes if hit by a 20g object moving at the speed of light. and the only thing that goes that fast IS light. hence the photons with measurable mass.

Woah, where did 20g moving at the speed of light come from?

I know more than 100 photons come out of a 40 watt light bulb in two seconds....

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82935

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
ok ok, just never mind, you aren't understanding. I thought you would understand the simple meaning of, hypothetical. but I was wrong.

results may very......

What if???? 4 months 1 week ago #82947

• MikeDrop
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Hello. How has your day been going?
  • Thank you received: 38
Ha-dooza-mena-whacha-blip-reat-i-ma-call-it?

That's my summary of the original question...
And, as Kwesi said, Only one word to describe this:

#confuzzled.
Testing one two three, testing.

Hello, Can you hear me?

Testing one two three. Testing, testing, two four six eight testing.

*tap tap tap* Uh, is this thing on? *loud screech*

Sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, Kwesi, jGod8865

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83509

• Chickadee
  • I love dogs!!
  • Thank you received: 211
nadcombo wrote:
ok ok, just never mind, you aren't understanding. I thought you would understand the simple meaning of, hypothetical. but I was wrong.

Dude I know what a hypothesis is.
I ain't dum.

I fell like you are simply trying to "show off" by attempting to look like you know what you are talking about

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83518

• Felixx
  • Just try it. You'll definitely see.
  • Thank you received: 15
Suppose that I was going to reply to you on this topic--and then I suddenly realize that I have no idea what you're trying to say because I am severely confused and I need someone to help translate the fancy-schmancy words that you are attempting to type.

It can be no one other than myself to take the job~
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, horsegirl04

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83648

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:

I ain't dum.

I feel like you are simply trying to "show off" by attempting to look like you know what you are talking about
ok, one this is an impossible phenomenon!! :angry: it cannot happen! do you get that!! the entire time.... if you actually read :sick: .... I said, if, and it's a hypothetical question... it cannot happen!! and number two, I actually do know what I'm talking about. I am highly educated and can discuss a wide variety of topics. Oh and I corrected your spelling mistakes :angry: :angry:

results may very......

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83650

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
Tuftedtitmouse wrote:

Ok this amazing light bulb can obviously radiate the same amount of photons that a normal 40 watt light bulb with massless photons apparently so...

So, basically it seems as if this roller is accelerated at the speed of light for 2 seconds (I think... oh boy this really defies quantum physics.....)
600,000,000 meters!

This is the most logical answer I can give from a question that defies quantum physics.

actually, physically it would not get up to the speed of light instantly, technically it wouldn't at all. with all the friction, and the energy loss, yes it would go far, but it would go as far as your answer.

results may very......

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83652

nadcombo wrote:
notturningaside wrote:
Yea, the only exception to my signature is the wrx sti, and btw, they already come heavily upgraded over the standard wrx. and the inline 5 is another exception. I know it's not a 4 banger, but it sounds amazing.
ik they come highly upgraded, but when you upgrade one to like 600 WHP, that is a serious car, ps. totally agree with your current signature

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83679

• nadcombo
  • NOW ONLINE
notturningaside wrote:
nadcombo wrote:
notturningaside wrote:
ik they come highly upgraded, but when you upgrade one to like 600 WHP, that is a serious car, ps. totally agree with your current signature

true, but getting a four cylinder up to 600hp, not only is very expensive, and difficult, it sure doesn't help engine longevity. you would be better off turning a v8 to hit 600 naturally aspirated than getting a four banger there. even with high compression.

results may very......

What if???? 3 months 3 weeks ago #83688

• bush possum
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Thank you received: 1143
nadcombo wrote:
Chickadee wrote:
nadcombo wrote:

I ain't dum.

I feel like you are simply trying to "show off" by attempting to look like you know what you are talking about
ok, one this is an impossible phenomenon!! :angry: it cannot happen! do you get that!! the entire time.... if you actually read :sick: .... I said, if, and it's a hypothetical question... it cannot happen!! and number two, I actually do know what I'm talking about. I am highly educated and can discuss a wide variety of topics. Oh and I corrected your spelling mistakes :angry: :angry:
Please guys, remember to act as Jesus would act.
Also, you missed one spelling mistake... :whistle:

*dumb
However, I feel that Chickadee did that one on purpose. Either way, please be civil with each other. Tia!
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

#nopetgerbils
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by bush possum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, jGod8865

What if???? 3 months 2 weeks ago #83968

• Tuftedtitmouse
nadcombo wrote:
Tuftedtitmouse wrote:

600,000,000 meters!

actually, physically it would not get up to the speed of light instantly, technically it wouldn't at all. with all the friction, and the energy loss, yes it would go far, but it would go as far as your answer.

To accelerate kg's of objects at the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy, and kg's with infinite amount of energy behind it would technically rip the poor roller apart... but assuming it didn't, an infinite amount of energy would be able to overcome this amount of friction fairly quickly, no? This friction would technically slow down the photons, which I'm assuming is not possible here, which means inevitably the roller would be destroyed and left behind, while the photons would keep on going for eternity down the pipe. If you take in for account the friction, there is no way this roller will travel any amount of distance, because these highly dense infinitely small particles would rip the roller apart before it could move.

See, right now we are trying to explain a situation that never was observed in real life.

Therefore, I would go to the laws of physics for an explanation.
From quantum physics, it tells me that photons with mass traveling at the speed of light would be infinitely dense, therefore are black holes, practically. That won't work here. (Plus many other difficulties.)

Newtonian physics will not be able to avoid the black hole effect,(if you can call it an effect), therefore it won't work here, either.

So what do we do? Can't do much.
If we are gonna try to explain a situation that was never observed, we'll by default need a situation that doesn't defy the laws of physics.

Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to argue.

What if???? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84172

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 3086
*whoosh* Did you guys hear that? That was the sound of this whole topic flying way over my head :blink:

But regardless of how complicated this topic gets, scientifically speaking, pleas lets remember to use kind words and to speak with humility :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04, jGod8865, emmy01, Stverno

What if???? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84184

Quirky wrote:
*whoosh* Did you guys hear that? That was the sound of this whole topic flying way over my head :blink:

But regardless of how complicated this topic gets, scientifically speaking, pleas lets remember to use kind words and to speak with humility :)
*please *let's

;)
:P

~MKay I'll go now
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04, emmy01

What if???? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84207

• Stverno
  • It's a squid thing... You wouldn't understand
  • Thank you received: 991
Hey.

Guys.

All you shmaht peoples.

What would happen if
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I've always wondered...

NOTE TO ALL PERSONNEL: IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND PROVEN THAT THIS INDIVIDUAL IS FEMALE

What if???? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84213

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Thank you received: 405
Stverno wrote:
Hey.

Guys.

All you shmaht peoples.

What would happen if

I've always wondered...

:ohmy: one of the greatest unanswered questions of the universe :ohmy:

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)

What if???? 3 months 2 weeks ago #84221

• bush possum
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Thank you received: 1143
Stverno wrote:
Hey.

Guys.

All you shmaht peoples.

What would happen if

I've always wondered...
First, your hair goes lovely and flowly in the shower.
Then, all of a sudden, without warning, someone dumps a bucket of superglue in your hair!

You are completely unaware of this, and you innocently finish your shower and precede to dry off the mat that is attached to your head, only to find that it's become really sticky and knotty, and you wonder
Fast forward to when you try and brush it....
Wait, did we skip forward to hell? Never mind...
Your hair will retain its static and stickiness until it comes in contact with conditioner again.

Don't try it...
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

#nopetgerbils
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stverno
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds