Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 2 years 4 months ago #47142

• JustMe
  • I'm a human.
  • Thank you received: 188
I recently started coming back on the discussion forum, only to realize that it's still very similar to what it was before I left. I have some suggestions for the forum that could greatly improve the experience we have. Here are some

1. Replace the "thank you" system with an anonymous "upvote", like Reddit has. This would allow people to have an instant reaction to the content they are reading. However, I'm not sure if the users are really ready for a downvote system though.

2. A threaded post system. Rather than have everything in a forum-style setup, I think a Reddit-style setup would be better. That way, people could reply to people without others mistaking the reply as to them. It would also eliminate the need to go to a new page to post, as you could just use the reply button on each comment. Also, it could be great to have a notification/inbox system that allows people to know when another user replies to their posts.

3. Auto-censorship. I understand that having no moderation whatsoever might be bad for this site, but I do want to say that the time it takes for a post to go up is quite ridiculous. If the post button also ran code that would automatically censor what would be deemed as "inappropriate language" and replace the word with asterisks (*), then the inappropriate language would not show up, and the post could be viewed immediately. It wouldn't have much of a negative impact, because words like "cl***room" or "cla**room" would easily be recognized as "classroom". Spam and other "bad" comments could be reported to the human moderators by other users using a "report" button.

4. Mentions. If a user wants to mention another user elsewhere on the board, they currently can only say their username and hope they end up seeing it some day. With a mention system similar to Twitters (@username) or Reddit's (/u/username), preferably Twitter's, a user could mention another user from anywhere in the board and the notification would come up in their inbox.

5. Replacement of bulletin board commands with "markdown" commands (pretty much the ones used on Reddit). This way, a user could simply type *text* to use italics, rather than the fairly complicated "[.i][/.i]" (minus the periods). Or if a user wanted to post a link, they'd just have to put "[text](url)", which is less complicated than the current setup. A list of Reddit commands are available here under the "posting" subtitle.

6. Ability to delete accounts. Pretty much every social media site has the ability to delete an account, but as far as I know, after searching for quite a while, there was none on this site.

7. A direct messaging system for when we would like to communicate instantly with other users.

I may edit this post to add more ideas if I remember them at some point.

If you want to see some of Reddit's code (it's open-source) in order to build some of these features, here's their GitHub repo.
"How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real" – Jaden Smith
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by JustMe. Reason: added suggestion
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mylhu1011, smileygon10, Going4God, missionarykid, IlikeEatingPi, Nate1246

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 2 years 4 months ago #47280

• sha-sha
  • Love pathfinders and adore books
  • Thank you received: 36
I agree with most of your ideas but I can easily tell you are trying to turn Guide into Reddit.
And another suggestion would be that we can talk to other users privately because many have become friends through Guide but when they are trying to have a private chat they have to make a post and then everyone can see what they are talking about
#Books
#my little pony
#schhol
#church
#pathfinders
The following user(s) said Thank You: Going4God

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 2 years 4 months ago #47460

• JustMe
  • I'm a human.
  • Thank you received: 188
@sha-sha That's the thing. Reddit is considered a forum-type site, but they do it extremely well compared to this site and most other forums. Adding their feature set would end up making Guide look a lot like Reddit, but it would be a great improvement. The new Guide would be like Reddit in the same way that it is like any other forum site, like, say, TouchArcade forums.
"How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real" – Jaden Smith

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 1 year 8 months ago #55933

• smileygon10
  • Meow!
  • Thank you received: 126
This post has been kinda dead for a long time, and obviously no changes have yet been implemented. I'm just replying so this post will be "recent" and brought to the Guide Staff's attention.

Yes, a threaded post system would be awesome. Then we wouldn't have the awful problem of quoting back and forth and all over again.

JustMe said:
the time it takes for a post to go up is quite ridiculous

That's an understatement. Some posts never are posted! And I have seen some really inappropriate spam that got through moderation. What's with that?

So, it appears that Guide Discussion is "Powered by Kunena Forum." If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click it, it goes here.

This raises some concerns. One way would be to modify the existing open-source code, but who would do that? We could also scrap everything and switch to Reddit's code, but all our previous threads would be gone!

Since all of this is not likely to be plausible, here's a main concern. We want to see our posts. To Guide Staff: Moderate posts faster.
Smiling for Jesus

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 1 year 3 months ago #59333

• mittens92999
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Thank you received: 332
Yes, I do think posts take WAY to long to go up, sometimes even weeks. What exactly is Reditt? I went to the site, but it was all about hacking?!?!?
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

-15 years old

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 1 year 3 months ago #59575

i agree with the tagging users, and the upvote/downvote
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary

Suggested modifications for the Discussion Forum 1 year 2 months ago #59680

• Nate1246
  • ~LF~ ¤KING¤
  • Thank you received: 43
I agree with post time up vote down vote private talking to other users
Rrrrrrroarrrrrr!!!!!
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds