Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist?

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 7 months 11 hours ago #125231

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
Hi guys!
A while back, I noticed that there was a discussion about Feminism.
I was just wondering, do you think that it is possible to be a feminist and a Christian?
Why or why not?
I'd love to know that you think! :cheer:
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 7 months 7 hours ago #125235

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Catchild77 wrote:
Hi guys!
A while back, I noticed that there was a discussion about Feminism.
I was just wondering, do you think that it is possible to be a feminist and a Christian?
Why or why not?
I'd love to know that you think! :cheer:
Yes, only when you're not overzealous.
This also applies to similar areas.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Khriz Kool Katz.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catchild77

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125241

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catchild77

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125257

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
Hi guys!
A while back, I noticed that there was a discussion about Feminism.
I was just wondering, do you think that it is possible to be a feminist and a Christian?
Why or why not?
I'd love to know that you think! :cheer:
Yes, only when you're overzealous.
This also applies to similar areas.
Very true, Khriz, very true!
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125258

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree, sci_geeek! I personally identify as a feminist because I believe that men and women should have the same rights in society and the workplace.
I believe that God supports women's rights, too.
Sometimes, I just feel confused when Paul talks about women in the New Testament acting submissively towards their husbands and other things...
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125264

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Catchild77 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
Hi guys!
A while back, I noticed that there was a discussion about Feminism.
I was just wondering, do you think that it is possible to be a feminist and a Christian?
Why or why not?
I'd love to know that you think! :cheer:
Yes, only when you're overzealous.
This also applies to similar areas.
Very true, Khriz, very true!
Just so you know, I meant "not overzealous". That ubfortunately was a typo. :/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125265

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree. Difference in sex does not mean one sex is superior or inferior to the other.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Khriz Kool Katz. Reason: curse you stupid small keyboard!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sci_geeek

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125283

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Catchild77 wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree, sci_geeek! I personally identify as a feminist because I believe that men and women should have the same rights in society and the workplace.
I believe that God supports women's rights, too.
Sometimes, I just feel confused when Paul talks about women in the New Testament acting submissively towards their husbands and other things...
Marriage is supposed to be a give-and-take thing from both sides of it. The husband and wife are to both make sacrifices for each other. That's the gist of it.
Also, understand that in those cultures, males tended to be more dominant, since most of that lifestyle depended upon them and their posterity, which they said came from males.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125289

  • BookwormJo
  • BookwormJo's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Posts: 2179
  • Thank you received: 274
I've only done a little research on feminism, so I can't really give a well-informed answer. But I agree that men and women were made under God to be equal.
How far the the feminism movement takes it . . . I'm not sure I agree with that.
Also, (unpopular opinion. Ach, I've already gotten into debate about this *facepalm*) I support men's rights in a way. In modern days, there's a lot of emphasis on supporting women, and that's great. But I also believe everyone should have a voice, and with the amount of support for women and minorities, I think that's tipping the scales and not giving men enough of a safe space and support.
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125305

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
BookwormJo wrote:
I've only done a little research on feminism, so I can't really give a well-informed answer. But I agree that men and women were made under God to be equal.
How far the the feminism movement takes it . . . I'm not sure I agree with that.
Also, (unpopular opinion. Ach, I've already gotten into debate about this *facepalm*) I support men's rights in a way. In modern days, there's a lot of emphasis on supporting women, and that's great. But I also believe everyone should have a voice, and with the amount of support for women and minorities, I think that's tipping the scales and not giving men enough of a safe space and support.
Men's rights is a given. Minorities do need to have their voice heard and be shown the respect each person has and deserves.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125314

  • pathfinder4ever
  • pathfinder4ever's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Posts: 2089
  • Thank you received: 649
Hmm, I don’t the feminist movement is a very good one. But they do make some good points.
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125315

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
pathfinder4ever wrote:
Hmm, I don’t the feminist movement is a very good one. But they do make some good points.
There has to be a balance in our society.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125318

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
BookwormJo wrote:
I've only done a little research on feminism, so I can't really give a well-informed answer. But I agree that men and women were made under God to be equal.
How far the the feminism movement takes it . . . I'm not sure I agree with that.
Also, (unpopular opinion. Ach, I've already gotten into debate about this *facepalm*) I support men's rights in a way. In modern days, there's a lot of emphasis on supporting women, and that's great. But I also believe everyone should have a voice, and with the amount of support for women and minorities, I think that's tipping the scales and not giving men enough of a safe space and support.
Yep, makes sense
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125319

  • sci_geeek
  • sci_geeek's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Posts: 3216
  • Thank you received: 478
pathfinder4ever wrote:
Hmm, I don’t the feminist movement is a very good one. But they do make some good points.
I agree
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125328

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
BookwormJo wrote:
I've only done a little research on feminism, so I can't really give a well-informed answer. But I agree that men and women were made under God to be equal.
How far the the feminism movement takes it . . . I'm not sure I agree with that.
Also, (unpopular opinion. Ach, I've already gotten into debate about this *facepalm*) I support men's rights in a way. In modern days, there's a lot of emphasis on supporting women, and that's great. But I also believe everyone should have a voice, and with the amount of support for women and minorities, I think that's tipping the scales and not giving men enough of a safe space and support.

No worries, BookwormJo! I appreciate your thoughts and value your opinions!
Regarding men's rights, they do seem like a given because men have been able to exercise them freely for thousands of years without having their authority challenged while women haven't as much....
In a way, I can see your point. I think that society does place unrealistic expectations on men on the basis of their gender (e.g. men shouldn't be emotional or vulnerable).
That definitely isn't fair.
I still think that the issues of women and minorities need emphasis though because they've been overwhelmingly marginalized throughout history.
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo, sci_geeek

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125329

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
pathfinder4ever wrote:
Hmm, I don’t the feminist movement is a very good one. But they do make some good points.
Would you be willing to share your thoughts? :) You don't have to if you're not comfortable.
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125330

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree, sci_geeek! I personally identify as a feminist because I believe that men and women should have the same rights in society and the workplace.
I believe that God supports women's rights, too.
Sometimes, I just feel confused when Paul talks about women in the New Testament acting submissively towards their husbands and other things...
Marriage is supposed to be a give-and-take thing from both sides of it. The husband and wife are to both make sacrifices for each other. That's the gist of it.
Also, understand that in those cultures, males tended to be more dominant, since most of that lifestyle depended upon them and their posterity, which they said came from males.

Thanks for clarifying, Khriz! I agree that marriage is about equal give-and-take between husbands and wives.
But what does Paul mean when he said that God made Adam first and afterward he made Eve?
Paul also said that, "And it was not Adam who was deceived. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through child-bearing, assuming they continue to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty." 1 Timothy 2:14-15
What does Paul mean by this?
I'd appreciate your thoughts because I want to understand what Paul is talking about.
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125339

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Catchild77 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree, sci_geeek! I personally identify as a feminist because I believe that men and women should have the same rights in society and the workplace.
I believe that God supports women's rights, too.
Sometimes, I just feel confused when Paul talks about women in the New Testament acting submissively towards their husbands and other things...
Marriage is supposed to be a give-and-take thing from both sides of it. The husband and wife are to both make sacrifices for each other. That's the gist of it.
Also, understand that in those cultures, males tended to be more dominant, since most of that lifestyle depended upon them and their posterity, which they said came from males.

Thanks for clarifying, Khriz! I agree that marriage is about equal give-and-take between husbands and wives.
But what does Paul mean when he said that God made Adam first and afterward he made Eve?
Paul also said that, "And it was not Adam who was deceived. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through child-bearing, assuming they continue to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty." 1 Timothy 2:14-15
What does Paul mean by this?
I'd appreciate your thoughts because I want to understand what Paul is talking about.
Paul is emphasizing the superiority of males, not because of the fact that they're males, but because they play a foundational roles in the building blocks of society: families. He's not belittling the value of females because they are females, but rather because they don't play as important as a part as males do in the family. Females are important because, as Paul said, they produce children and are typically the ones that educate and nurture their children through "faith, love, holiness, and modesty."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125369

It's like when on Mother's Day, the church has a huge celebration, meal, and events that the men run. And on Father's Day, there is just the sermon on Fathers and a small cookie bag.


Writers Block: When your imaginary friends refuse to talk to you.

YouTube Channels:

Stories of Faith: www.youtube.com/channel/UCudEpP-KJhonYokRNIMC6pg
Kute Kitties: www.youtube.com/channel/UCWEvdHXKaaITP_cGYgBRYaw
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125392

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
wannabewritergirl wrote:
It's like when on Mother's Day, the church has a huge celebration, meal, and events that the men run. And on Father's Day, there is just the sermon on Fathers and a small cookie bag.
I don't have any qualms with that. However, some touchy people might make it a big deal.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125416

  • Alyssa4Jesus
  • Alyssa4Jesus's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Posts: 1772
  • Thank you received: 201
wannabewritergirl wrote:
It's like when on Mother's Day, the church has a huge celebration, meal, and events that the men run. And on Father's Day, there is just the sermon on Fathers and a small cookie bag.
Well....my church did the same thing for both oarents in the morning....while the mothers got a special program in the evening.
It was kinda bias ig
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 4 weeks ago #125432

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
wannabewritergirl wrote:
It's like when on Mother's Day, the church has a huge celebration, meal, and events that the men run. And on Father's Day, there is just the sermon on Fathers and a small cookie bag.
Well....my church did the same thing for both oarents in the morning....while the mothers got a special program in the evening.
It was kinda bias ig
Meh
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 3 weeks ago #125459

  • Catchild77
  • Catchild77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Posts: 300
  • Thank you received: 94
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree, sci_geeek! I personally identify as a feminist because I believe that men and women should have the same rights in society and the workplace.
I believe that God supports women's rights, too.
Sometimes, I just feel confused when Paul talks about women in the New Testament acting submissively towards their husbands and other things...
Marriage is supposed to be a give-and-take thing from both sides of it. The husband and wife are to both make sacrifices for each other. That's the gist of it.
Also, understand that in those cultures, males tended to be more dominant, since most of that lifestyle depended upon them and their posterity, which they said came from males.

Thanks for clarifying, Khriz! I agree that marriage is about equal give-and-take between husbands and wives.
But what does Paul mean when he said that God made Adam first and afterward he made Eve?
Paul also said that, "And it was not Adam who was deceived. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through child-bearing, assuming they continue to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty." 1 Timothy 2:14-15
What does Paul mean by this?
I'd appreciate your thoughts because I want to understand what Paul is talking about.
Paul is emphasizing the superiority of males, not because of the fact that they're males, but because they play a foundational roles in the building blocks of society: families. He's not belittling the value of females because they are females, but rather because they don't play as important as a part as males do in the family. Females are important because, as Paul said, they produce children and are typically the ones that educate and nurture their children through "faith, love, holiness, and modesty."
Thank you for sharing, Khriz! I'm not sure that I agree, but I appreciate knowing your thoughts.
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo, sci_geeek

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 3 weeks ago #125470

  • Khriz Kool Katz
  • Khriz Kool Katz's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Posts: 7736
  • Thank you received: 706
Catchild77 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
Catchild77 wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
I think it's definitely ok to support women's rights and whatnot, and be a Christian at the same time. The problem is being the type of feminist who believes all men have ulterior motives.
I agree, sci_geeek! I personally identify as a feminist because I believe that men and women should have the same rights in society and the workplace.
I believe that God supports women's rights, too.
Sometimes, I just feel confused when Paul talks about women in the New Testament acting submissively towards their husbands and other things...
Marriage is supposed to be a give-and-take thing from both sides of it. The husband and wife are to both make sacrifices for each other. That's the gist of it.
Also, understand that in those cultures, males tended to be more dominant, since most of that lifestyle depended upon them and their posterity, which they said came from males.

Thanks for clarifying, Khriz! I agree that marriage is about equal give-and-take between husbands and wives.
But what does Paul mean when he said that God made Adam first and afterward he made Eve?
Paul also said that, "And it was not Adam who was deceived. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through child-bearing, assuming they continue to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty." 1 Timothy 2:14-15
What does Paul mean by this?
I'd appreciate your thoughts because I want to understand what Paul is talking about.
Paul is emphasizing the superiority of males, not because of the fact that they're males, but because they play a foundational roles in the building blocks of society: families. He's not belittling the value of females because they are females, but rather because they don't play as important as a part as males do in the family. Females are important because, as Paul said, they produce children and are typically the ones that educate and nurture their children through "faith, love, holiness, and modesty."
Thank you for sharing, Khriz! I'm not sure that I agree, but I appreciate knowing your thoughts.
There was no way unfortunately for me to put in a less "offensive" way without distorting the facts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is it Possible to be a Christian and a Feminist? 6 months 3 weeks ago #125479

  • Alyssa4Jesus
  • Alyssa4Jesus's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Posts: 1772
  • Thank you received: 201
Tbh this is a very hard topic to discuss :blink:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds