Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you think....

Do you think.... 2 years 1 month ago #100052

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Thank you received: 274
Hey guys.
Do you think that the widespread availability of movies with violence in them could lead to the de-sensitization of young people in this era?
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think.... 2 years 1 month ago #100058

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 649
Yes, definitely. Watching someone get murdered over and over in a realistic way will most likely lessen your reaction if you saw it in real life.
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

Do you think.... 2 years 1 month ago #100064

• SkeleBoy10
  • In time I will leave the city
  • Thank you received: 144
I think in some cases it could but I don't belive it's entirely due to the movies themselves.

And most of it does depend on the person watching it, how they were raised up, how their brain works. If they can distinguish between fiction and reality, then what happens is that they can get desensatized to the violence in movies. Not so much in real life just based on the movies. Take me for example, despite watching violent movies here and there, seeing a real life image or video of a horrific injury is still very hard for me. And I don't think I could get desensatized to violence that happens in the real world, because I know that people there are hurting and my empathy radar goes up. In a movie it's all staged by the crew to serve the story, so there's more comfort in that. For the desensatization of violence in movies to get translated to the desensatization of violence in real life, I belive there is more at play there than just violent movies.

Some movies that have tons of violence aren't made for young people in the first place, so if they end up seeing it then it is up to them how they interpret it. Some may be very shocked at the graphic content, some may get desensatized by the end of it. But the desensatization also takes into account if they are engaged with the story or the characters and keep watching for that, rather than simply not getting bothered by the violence. In some cases you can put it aside in order to fully engage with the story. A violent movie can have a purpose for that violence; maybe it's to get you to be more empathetic towards others, or to show history how it was, things like that.

But again, that's just my thoughts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112, SGirven, BookwormJo

Do you think.... 2 years 1 month ago #100101

• SGirven
  • Human. Writer. Latino. Photographer.
  • Thank you received: 245
SkeleBoy10 wrote:
I think in some cases it could but I don't belive it's entirely due to the movies themselves.

And most of it does depend on the person watching it, how they were raised up, how their brain works. If they can distinguish between fiction and reality, then what happens is that they can get desensatized to the violence in movies. Not so much in real life just based on the movies. Take me for example, despite watching violent movies here and there, seeing a real life image or video of a horrific injury is still very hard for me. And I don't think I could get desensatized to violence that happens in the real world, because I know that people there are hurting and my empathy radar goes up. In a movie it's all staged by the crew to serve the story, so there's more comfort in that. For the desensatization of violence in movies to get translated to the desensatization of violence in real life, I belive there is more at play there than just violent movies.

Some movies that have tons of violence aren't made for young people in the first place, so if they end up seeing it then it is up to them how they interpret it. Some may be very shocked at the graphic content, some may get desensatized by the end of it. But the desensatization also takes into account if they are engaged with the story or the characters and keep watching for that, rather than simply not getting bothered by the violence. In some cases you can put it aside in order to fully engage with the story. A violent movie can have a purpose for that violence; maybe it's to get you to be more empathetic towards others, or to show history how it was, things like that.

But again, that's just my thoughts.
Thank you, and ditto.

Discord: sgir.v#7196

IG: sgir.v

“We are not to deny the authority of the human senses and understanding, although weak, but rather furnish them with assistance.” -Sir Francis Bacon

Do you think.... 2 years 4 weeks ago #100126

• NovaLoves
  • pain is temporary, swag is forever
  • Thank you received: 5
Yes and No. I do believe that seeing violence repeatedly can contribute to desensitization ultimately causing it to be more likely for young people to carry out the same acts. However, I also believe that knowledge is power, and that everyone should have access to information, acted out or real. Violence happens in the world around us every day. From bombings to police brutality, it is important to be informed about the things that take place.

Now, I also believe that some people are less likely to be desensitized from seeing violence from movies. I truly believe that the environment you grew up in influences whether or whether not you would be sensitive to violence. Plus, movies are rated in a way to warn us about what we might see. If a teenager goes to see a movie that is obviously not rated for his/her age range, it just depends on how they interpret it.

just my opinion :P
¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ nova ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
The following user(s) said Thank You: SGirven, BookwormJo, uhmelia

Do you think.... 2 years 4 weeks ago #100143

• uhmelia
  • I get stuck in my own head a lot. :P
  • Thank you received: 2
NovaLoves wrote:
Yes and No. I do believe that seeing violence repeatedly can contribute to desensitization ultimately causing it to be more likely for young people to carry out the same acts. However, I also believe that knowledge is power, and that everyone should have access to information, acted out or real. Violence happens in the world around us every day. From bombings to police brutality, it is important to be informed about the things that take place.

Now, I also believe that some people are less likely to be desensitized from seeing violence from movies. I truly believe that the environment you grew up in influences whether or whether not you would be sensitive to violence. Plus, movies are rated in a way to warn us about what we might see. If a teenager goes to see a movie that is obviously not rated for his/her age range, it just depends on how they interpret it.

I agree. I totally think that seeing violence often can lead to committing it yourself.
It's a world in which people's motives are questionable and shadowy. - Steven Soderbergh

Do you think.... 2 years 4 weeks ago #100155

• ken10wil
  • bossome
  • Thank you received: 161
uhmelia wrote:
NovaLoves wrote:

I agree. I totally think that seeing violence often can lead to committing it yourself.
But there is no empirical evidence for that. This is something quite often said with little to no data or evidence to back it up, mostly because studies done into this have shown no correlation.
video games are awesome, Politics is just making me sad at this point
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkeleBoy10, endershadow112, SGirven

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101135

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
Ok. Thanks for your replies.
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101195

• SGirven
ken10wil wrote:
uhmelia wrote:
NovaLoves wrote:

But there is no empirical evidence for that. This is something quite often said with little to no data or evidence to back it up, mostly because studies done into this have shown no correlation.
He's right.

“We are not to deny the authority of the human senses and understanding, although weak, but rather furnish them with assistance.” -Sir Francis Bacon

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101196

• SGirven
BookwormJo wrote:
What do you think it means to be a man/boy?
This is entirely subjective.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SkeleBoy10

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101219

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
SGirven wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
Happy Birthday when it comes, SGirven!

#greatmindsthinkalike
The following user(s) said Thank You: SGirven

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101263

• SGirven
BookwormJo wrote:
SGirven wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
Happy Birthday when it comes, SGirven!
Thank you!

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101273

• chipiscute505
  • i love God, books, anime, and music!
  • Thank you received: 2
if you have the organs that make you male.
Don't let your body control you

Do you think.... 1 year 10 months ago #101288

• Pyrrhic
  • in-between speechless and rambling
  • Thank you received: 617
chipiscute505 wrote:
I found it funny when your bio thing says "don't let your body control you".
I already have said enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annexator

Do you think.... 1 year 9 months ago #101504

• SGirven
Pyrrhic wrote:
chipiscute505 wrote:
I see where you're going for that sigh

Do you think.... 1 year 9 months ago #101553

• Pyrrhic
SGirven wrote:
Pyrrhic wrote:
chipiscute505 wrote:
You changed it rip. Funny gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annexator

Do you think.... 1 year 8 months ago #101711

• SGirven
Pyrrhic wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Pyrrhic wrote:
chipiscute505 wrote:
like it was funny in the first place

Do you think.... 1 year 8 months ago #101733

• Pyrrhic
SGirven wrote:
Pyrrhic wrote:
SGirven wrote:
Pyrrhic wrote:
chipiscute505 wrote:
like it was funny in the first place
shush, my humor is broken!!!

Do you think.... 9 months 4 weeks ago #118761

• Kiv24133
  • Axolotls are cool
  • Thank you received: 57
Pyrrhic wrote:
chipiscute505 wrote:
lol
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds