Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Movies

Movies 4 weeks 2 days ago #90306

• m13
  • Wow!
  • Thank you received: 4
"The true Christian will not desire to enter any place of amusement or engage in any diversion upon which he cannot ask the blessing of God. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind."

Okay, so that's a quote from Ellen G. White from whatever book, I just found it on the internet. If you read the book and know what she's talking about, please tell me the context of the statement.
Anyways, you got big movies coming out and already out like Star Wars, Avengers, etc. What do you guys think, what did your parents teach you about this? Also, if say you only watch movies on DVD/Blu-Ray/online, I'd like to know how that's any different from watching the movie in theatres. (I know that sounds like me being a jerk, but I really just want to know)

For me, I grew up thinking it was a sin to go to the cinema, but now my family and I just don't care, as long as we're not watching during the Sabbath, and we're not prioritizing movies over God.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Movies 4 weeks 2 days ago #90315

From what I've heard, movie theaters used to be places where people would smoke and stuff, which is why it's included with the billaird hall, and I think bowling alleys were the same way (thus the name "bowling saloon").
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...

Movies 4 weeks 1 day ago #90321

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Keep calm swim & read on.(and do gymnaststics!)
  • Thank you received: 39
?
#StvernoIsAFemale#Pathfinder4EverIsaFemale#LemonwizardIsaFemale #IAmAFemaleToo #FemaleHashtagMovement

4's my number
}""'^^"""{
I know pronounce my self in charge of the pencil until emmy01 returns.
#pathfindersisgreat
SNOW RULES
Happy birthday to all those born in Janurary:*)
I am a Gymnast.

Movies 4 weeks 1 day ago #90350

• SRNitro
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Thank you received: 495
m13 wrote:
"The true Christian will not desire to enter any place of amusement or engage in any diversion upon which he cannot ask the blessing of God. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind."

Okay, so that's a quote from Ellen G. White from whatever book, I just found it on the internet. If you read the book and know what she's talking about, please tell me the context of the statement.
Anyways, you got big movies coming out and already out like Star Wars, Avengers, etc. What do you guys think, what did your parents teach you about this? Also, if say you only watch movies on DVD/Blu-Ray/online, I'd like to know how that's any different from watching the movie in theatres. (I know that sounds like me being a jerk, but I really just want to know)

For me, I grew up thinking it was a sin to go to the cinema, but now my family and I just don't care, as long as we're not watching during the Sabbath, and we're not prioritizing movies over God.
Don't always trust Ellen White. I'm sure thats not the answer you wanted but... gotta be honest.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl

Movies 4 weeks 8 hours ago #90355

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 3189
I found your quote in Messages to Young People and Adventist Home. Here is the full section:

Few Popular Amusements Are Safe—Many of the amusements popular in the world today, even with those who claim to be Christians, tend to the same end as did those of the heathen. There are indeed few among them that Satan does not turn to account in destroying souls. Through the drama he has worked for ages to excite passion and glorify vice. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music, the masquerade, the dance, the card table, Satan employs to break down the barriers of principle and open the door to sensual indulgence. In every gathering for pleasure where pride is fostered or appetite indulged, where one is led to forget God and lose sight of eternal interests, there Satan is binding his chains about the soul.12 AH 515.3
The true Christian will not desire to enter any place of amusement or engage in any diversion upon which he cannot ask the blessing of God. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind. AH 515.4
To those who plead for these diversions we answer, We cannot indulge in them in the name of Jesus of Nazareth. The blessing of God would not be invoked upon the hour spent at the theater or in the dance. No Christian would wish to meet death in such a place. No one would wish to be found there when Christ shall come.13 AH 516.1

At this point, it doesn't matter what we as human beings deem as being right or wrong. We were all born in sin, so its natural for us to look favorably upon things that gratify our natural, sinful desires. Let's pass by Sister White, and look straight to the bible, to see if what she says lines up with it.

Psalms 101:3
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Proverbs 4:23
Keep (guard, protect) thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

The main principle? Purity. Sanctification. Perfection in Christ. If we are doing ANYTHING that is keeping us from "[pressing] toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus*", then, well...

We're doing it wrong.

*Philippians 3:14
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, honeyflower

Movies 4 weeks 8 hours ago #90357

• 20awesome00
  • Guitar + Lake = :)
  • Thank you received: 387
As far as bowling goes, I think it has more to do with the atmosphere and the people there rather than actually throwing a ball down a lane. We used to go bowling not a lot but maybe a couple of times a year until once I went with a bunch of mainly youth (but still a good representation of adults) from my church and there was a drunk guy who kept following me around and trying to pat my back and stuff... Basically really creepy. the youth guys and all the adults from church came and circled around me until he left for my safety.
I have not been bowling since, and I have no intention of going again!
I think the atmosphere of the place is what Ellen White would have been talking about... The alcohol, low lights, ungodly music ect...
Anyway that's my opinion on the matter :)
Try being informed instead of just opinionated...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Movies 3 weeks 2 days ago #90517

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 617
ken10wil wrote:
Quirky wrote:
I found your quote in Messages to Young People and Adventist Home. Here is the full section:

Few Popular Amusements Are Safe—Many of the amusements popular in the world today, even with those who claim to be Christians, tend to the same end as did those of the heathen. There are indeed few among them that Satan does not turn to account in destroying souls. Through the drama he has worked for ages to excite passion and glorify vice. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music, the masquerade, the dance, the card table, Satan employs to break down the barriers of principle and open the door to sensual indulgence. In every gathering for pleasure where pride is fostered or appetite indulged, where one is led to forget God and lose sight of eternal interests, there Satan is binding his chains about the soul.12 AH 515.3
The true Christian will not desire to enter any place of amusement or engage in any diversion upon which he cannot ask the blessing of God. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind. AH 515.4
To those who plead for these diversions we answer, We cannot indulge in them in the name of Jesus of Nazareth. The blessing of God would not be invoked upon the hour spent at the theater or in the dance. No Christian would wish to meet death in such a place. No one would wish to be found there when Christ shall come.13 AH 516.1

At this point, it doesn't matter what we as human beings deem as being right or wrong. We were all born in sin, so its natural for us to look favorably upon things that gratify our natural, sinful desires. Let's pass by Sister White, and look straight to the bible, to see if what she says lines up with it.

Psalms 101:3
I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Proverbs 4:23
Keep (guard, protect) thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

The main principle? Purity. Sanctification. Perfection in Christ. If we are doing ANYTHING that is keeping us from "[pressing] toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus*", then, well...

We're doing it wrong.

*Philippians 3:14
aww yes, Ellen G. White's famous quote's on everything fun being bad.
  1. Ellen G White, while a valuable source of wisdom, is not infallible. Unless you wan't to believe God helps people do impossible sins (someone actually told me God helped the Antediluvians breed dinosaurs, so i asked them why would God help them breed these "evil creatures".
  2. The opera, with its fascinating display and bewildering music,
    You want to know why adventist hymnals (or old songs in general) are filled with songs that consist almost entirely of long drawn out harmony sections similar to that of musical scales? Because some religious people of the time thought music should be flat, easy to play and boring. Anything that made one excited, feel emotion, or want to dance was hedonistic. Consequently they hated folk songs, vaudeville, theater and....opera.
  3. He will not be found at the theater, the billiard hall, or the bowling saloon. He will not unite with the gay waltzers or indulge in any other bewitching pleasure that will banish Christ from the mind
    TL;DR Dancing is evil and if you happen to like plays or bowling your literally sinning.

So lemme just come to an end before this becomes a page long post. The definitions of "unholy music", and our attitudes to dancing have changed with time. Quirky, Ellen G White was one of many religious thinkers of the time who wanted people to pretty much become obsessed with church and fill up the pews. Not necessarily obsessed with Christ, just the dogma and motions of church. They were paranoid of the increased popularity of secular thinking, as most religious thinking of the time relied on your local pastor's interpretation, not on the bible. Ellen G. White was raised in the incredibly religious rural New Hampshire, where such thought was common and not questioned. Dancing, like the one David did in the Bible would have been hedonistic in her eyes. Such thinking did not originate with the first church, as the Jews were well known for their joyous celebrations and festivals. It actually came from the reformation, thanks to a group of English protestants known as Puritans. They believed in a strict moral code that was not entirely biblically based. They did not support religious freedom and were essentially the Anti-Catholic church, all it's evils just flipped to the other end of the spectrum. After ruining their reputation in England when they took control of Parliament and banned everything fun (it's why the word puritan is synonymous to stickler today), they spread out over Europe and eventually left entirely to come to the new world. Once they arrived they formed settlements where crime's so minor as talking back to your parents meant a day in the stocks. (Ironically they weren't against the devil's brew since Alcohol was cleaner and safer to drink than water at the time). But yeah, all this talk about dancing and music being despicable and bad didn't come from the Bible. it came from religious fanatics who burned people alive for dancing (witch hunts started in the 1500s in England but the connection between dancing and summoning demons came in the 1600s from Puritans) and did all sorts of horrible things. Now of course it doesn't mean all of Ellen G White's writings are garbage it just means take them with a grain of salt, because she, like the biblical prophet of Jonah, was influenced not only by God, but by his culture and upbringing.

Your history buff,
Ken10Wil
Did you come up with this conclusion by yourself?
If so, that’s impressive.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112

Movies 3 weeks 2 days ago #90532

I must admit, sometimes EGW doesn't make much sense to me, but I think it's good to understand what she means. I know people who would always go to the movie theaters, and they would get too sucked in and forget about religious stuff. It would be a downward hill.
One more thing, EGW said it's a sin to get a bicycle (rough quotation) but my church has often bonded over going biking. I always wondered why she said that. My dad told me that bikes were very expensive and more a fashionable thing than anything. Now they are pretty cheap.
Hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Movies 3 weeks 1 day ago #90548

• honeyflower
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Not a fruit loop..Veggie loop. ;)
  • Thank you received: 209
LolingforJesus wrote:
I must admit, sometimes EGW doesn't make much sense to me, but I think it's good to understand what she means. I know people who would always go to the movie theaters, and they would get too sucked in and forget about religious stuff. It would be a downward hill.
One more thing, EGW said it's a sin to get a bicycle (rough quotation) but my church has often bonded over going biking. I always wondered why she said that. My dad told me that bikes were very expensive and more a fashionable thing than anything. Now they are pretty cheap.
Hope this helps!

If I'm not mistaken, she was saying that because bicycles were a craze back then (and expensive as you said), and the publishing place (I forgot which one...) spent a bunch of money on them, to ride somewhere, when they should've used the monies for the furthering of the gospel message. :)
#HONORARYEMMY :lol:
Ain't ain't a word, and I ain't gonna use it. ;)
I'm writing a book, called "Classical #b: A True Addiction Story". Anyone get it? ;)
I never let my schooling interfere with my education, and always and never are two words you should always remember never to use. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

Movies 3 weeks 1 day ago #90554

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
Where did Ken10wil's original post go?? :huh:

Anywho, I understand what your saying, even though I still disagree. I just wanted to respond to one thing you said.

"Dancing, like the one David did in the Bible would have been hedonistic in her eyes."

I know that this is one sentence and I hope that I'm not taking it out of context, but here is a quote from Patriarchs and Prophets in regards to what Sister White thought about David's dancing in comparison to the dancing of her day. In bold is the principle behind what she is saying.

(Talking about when David was bringing ark into the Jerusalem)
"Again the long train was in motion, and the music of harp and cornet, trumpet and cymbal, floated heavenward, blended with the melody of many voices. “And David danced before the Lord,” in his gladness keeping time to the measure of the song.
David’s dancing in reverent joy before God has been cited by pleasure lovers in justification of the fashionable modern dance, but there is no ground for such an argument. In our day dancing is associated with folly and midnight reveling. Health and morals are sacrificed to pleasure. By the frequenters of the ballroom God is not an object of thought and reverence; prayer or the song of praise would be felt to be out of place in their assemblies. This test should be decisive. Amusements that have a tendency to weaken the love for sacred things and lessen our joy in the service of God are not to be sought by Christians. The music and dancing in joyful praise to God at the removal of the ark had not the faintest resemblance to the dissipation of modern dancing. The one tended to the remembrance of God and exalted His holy name. The other is a device of Satan to cause men to forget God and to dishonor Him. PP 707.2

Movies 3 weeks 1 day ago #90586

• TomTom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 200
SRNitro wrote:
m13 wrote:

Don't always trust Ellen White. I'm sure thats not the answer you wanted but... gotta be honest.

Huh, someone that agrees with me on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Movies 2 weeks 2 days ago #90717

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 617
TLDR for anyone who didn’t read this thread:

If watching movies makes church boring by comparison, you should stop.
All rules have exceptions, including this one.

Movies 2 weeks 2 days ago #90736

@SirGeneralCliche So it's wrong to be more entertained by something that is not church?
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by endershadow112.

Movies 2 weeks 1 day ago #90750

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
endershadow112 wrote:
@SirGeneralCliche So it's wrong to be more entertained by something that is not church?

If it starts to quench your love for God and heavenly things, its no bueno

Movies 2 weeks 5 hours ago #90785

• honeyflower
  • NOW ONLINE
Quirky wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

Even if it's Guide.

Yeah I know, I know, I'll probably get some slack for saying that.

BUT, it kinda is a form of social media...

*backs away slowly*

:dry: :whistle: :pinch:
I'm writing a book, called "Classical #b: A True Addiction Story". Anyone get it? ;)
I never let my schooling interfere with my education, and always and never are two words you should always remember never to use. :whistle:

Movies 1 week 6 days ago #90797

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 2014
honeyflower wrote:
Quirky wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

Even if it's Guide.

*backs away slowly*

Oh no! Social media! *runs away* :lol:
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The following user(s) said Thank You: honeyflower

Movies 1 week 6 days ago #90813

• horsegirl04
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Thank you received: 456
Mp137 wrote:
honeyflower wrote:
Quirky wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

Even if it's Guide.

*backs away slowly*

lolz

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)

Movies 1 week 6 days ago #90816

• honeyflower
  • NOW ONLINE
Mp137 wrote:
honeyflower wrote:
Quirky wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:

Even if it's Guide.

*backs away slowly*

Haha! You know what I mean. :lol:
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds