Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: should christians watch r-rated movies.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #55827

  • mark234
  • mark234's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 12
  • Thank you received: 7
yes. the bible has things like that but is it a movie or a book. have sense, do they rate books,no bcuz u are not seeing the material u are reading. most of these movies are not for a purpose. the bible is for us to learn about our times so isn't this our time to learn. movies just increase perverted level it doesn't teach anything so no I do not believe we should watch r rated movies
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #55828

  • mark234
  • mark234's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 12
  • Thank you received: 7
please refer me to the scripture in the bible which says lot did such a thing. Please do.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #55871

  • InspiredThinker
  • InspiredThinker's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Posts: 1418
  • Thank you received: 1208
Mp137 wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
We all (hopefully) read our Bibles. There are many stories in the Bible that would make and R-Rated movie look G-Rated. Let me list a few:

Judah and Tamar

Lot and his Daughters

The Battle of Gibeah

Yael

Amnon and Tamar

Joab and Amasa

Abner and Asahel

Joab and Abner

The Rape of Dinah

Reuben and Billah

But reading something and seeing with your eyes is totally different. I've read scary books and thought "wow, if this was a movie I'd never be able to watch it!" But I'm fine reading it.

It's the same, regardless of whether or not it's being watched on a screen. For it to be on a screen it has to be in pages. However, the difference is that (we believe) it's nonfiction.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56007

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3549
  • Thank you received: 2905
InspiredThinker wrote:
We all (hopefully) read our Bibles. There are many stories in the Bible that would make and R-Rated movie look G-Rated. Let me list a few:

Judah and Tamar

Lot and his Daughters

The Battle of Gibeah

Yael

Amnon and Tamar

Joab and Amasa

Abner and Asahel

Joab and Abner

The Rape of Dinah

Reuben and Billah


True stories in the word of God are different from untrue horror films geared to strike unnecessary terror in ones heart that can scar them for years. One was written for our admonition (1 Corinthians 10:11), another for a sick sense of entertainment.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56058

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2177
  • Thank you received: 1941
InspiredThinker wrote:
Mp137 wrote:
InspiredThinker wrote:
We all (hopefully) read our Bibles. There are many stories in the Bible that would make and R-Rated movie look G-Rated. Let me list a few:

Judah and Tamar

Lot and his Daughters

The Battle of Gibeah

Yael

Amnon and Tamar

Joab and Amasa

Abner and Asahel

Joab and Abner

The Rape of Dinah

Reuben and Billah

But reading something and seeing with your eyes is totally different. I've read scary books and thought "wow, if this was a movie I'd never be able to watch it!" But I'm fine reading it.

It's the same, regardless of whether or not it's being watched on a screen. For it to be on a screen it has to be in pages. However, the difference is that (we believe) it's nonfiction.

I disagree with you on that point, but I'm not going to argue mine anymore
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56113

  • mylhu1011
  • mylhu1011's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 25
  • Thank you received: 25
For those of you saying that reading a book is different than watching a movie, the only difference is the medium through which you absorb the content. Even poorly-written book will make use of imagery to evoke mental pictures of the scene being described. With this in mind (hehe), monitoring what you read should be just as important as monitoring what you watch.

That said, the Bible is chock-full of blood, gore, sex, and alcohol. Take 2 Kings 2:23-24, for example.

[23] From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” [24] He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Is that not bloody, maybe even a little sadistic? Elisha was merely insulted by some boys and he called upon God to kill 42 of them. Should that not prove my point, let's look at the rape of Tamar in 2 Samuel 13:32.

[32] But Jonadab son of Shimeah, David’s brother, said, “My lord should not think that they killed all the princes; only Amnon is dead. This has been Absalom’s express intention ever since the day Amnon raped his sister Tamar.

Not only did Amnon rape a woman, he raped his sister. He committed incest. No matter that the Bible is a holy text; there's as much about God's grace and mercy as there is about man's wrath and many vices.

As far as R-rated movies are concerned, I think it depends entirely on why the movie is R-rated and whether or not there's some greater moral lesson to learn in spite of the sex, drugs, alcohol, blood, or cursing that may be present. When I was struggling with a stuttering problem during middle school, my mom had me watch The King's Speech, a movie about King George VI's trouble dealing with a speech impediment not unlike my own. There were several instances of strong language and some scenes with social drinking/smoking, but this movie really inspired me as a person with two speech impediments (a stutter and a slight lisp). If a king with a stutter worse than mine could overcome his fear of public speaking, why couldn't I? In short, it's not about the rating, but about what you get in terms of the overall message. Like some have said here before me, a movie that held true to the Bible would likely be rated NC-17. But the Bible applies to every aspect of life, illuminating the many ways that God can work in peoples' lives. That's what makes it a holy text and a worthwhile read.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56135

  • maplesyruphotel9
  • maplesyruphotel9's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • ~Star wars Is What I Live For~
  • Posts: 463
  • Thank you received: 130
What do you think? Do you think when your watching it makes you feel better about yourself and God?If it doesn't then you probably should not watch it...
Miraculous Ladybug is My Life Goals <3
I love Kpop like My Sister On Guide: Minifat :D
BIGGEST Star Wars Fan you Will Ever Meet!

SnapChat- maplesyruphotel (will show up as Paige)
Instagram- paige_olivvia09
Youtube: AnimalJammer09
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56152

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2177
  • Thank you received: 1941
mylhu1011 wrote:
For those of you saying that reading a book is different than watching a movie, the only difference is the medium through which you absorb the content. Even poorly-written book will make use of imagery to evoke mental pictures of the scene being described. With this in mind (hehe), monitoring what you read should be just as important as monitoring what you watch.

That said, the Bible is chock-full of blood, gore, sex, and alcohol. Take 2 Kings 2:23-24, for example.

[23] From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” [24] He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Is that not bloody, maybe even a little sadistic? Elisha was merely insulted by some boys and he called upon God to kill 42 of them. Should that not prove my point, let's look at the rape of Tamar in 2 Samuel 13:32.

[32] But Jonadab son of Shimeah, David’s brother, said, “My lord should not think that they killed all the princes; only Amnon is dead. This has been Absalom’s express intention ever since the day Amnon raped his sister Tamar.

Not only did Amnon rape a woman, he raped his sister. He committed incest. No matter that the Bible is a holy text; there's as much about God's grace and mercy as there is about man's wrath and many vices.

As far as R-rated movies are concerned, I think it depends entirely on why the movie is R-rated and whether or not there's some greater moral lesson to learn in spite of the sex, drugs, alcohol, blood, or cursing that may be present. When I was struggling with a stuttering problem during middle school, my mom had me watch The King's Speech, a movie about King George VI's trouble dealing with a speech impediment not unlike my own. There were several instances of strong language and some scenes with social drinking/smoking, but this movie really inspired me as a person with two speech impediments (a stutter and a slight lisp). If a king with a stutter worse than mine could overcome his fear of public speaking, why couldn't I? In short, it's not about the rating, but about what you get in terms of the overall message. Like some have said here before me, a movie that held true to the Bible would likely be rated NC-17. But the Bible applies to every aspect of life, illuminating the many ways that God can work in peoples' lives. That's what makes it a holy text and a worthwhile read.

Elisha may or may not have been bald though. It wasn't merely an insult. There was 42 boys. In the King James Version, I believe it says children. In Hebrew, the word probably meant something closer to young men. Elisha could have been in danger. (What version did you use, by the way?)
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56219

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3549
  • Thank you received: 2905
mylhu1011 wrote:
For those of you saying that reading a book is different than watching a movie, the only difference is the medium through which you absorb the content. Even poorly-written book will make use of imagery to evoke mental pictures of the scene being described. With this in mind (hehe), monitoring what you read should be just as important as monitoring what you watch.

That said, the Bible is chock-full of blood, gore, sex, and alcohol. Take 2 Kings 2:23-24, for example.

[23] From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” [24] He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Is that not bloody, maybe even a little sadistic? Elisha was merely insulted by some boys and he called upon God to kill 42 of them. Should that not prove my point, let's look at the rape of Tamar in 2 Samuel 13:32.

[32] But Jonadab son of Shimeah, David’s brother, said, “My lord should not think that they killed all the princes; only Amnon is dead. This has been Absalom’s express intention ever since the day Amnon raped his sister Tamar.

Not only did Amnon rape a woman, he raped his sister. He committed incest. No matter that the Bible is a holy text; there's as much about God's grace and mercy as there is about man's wrath and many vices.

As far as R-rated movies are concerned, I think it depends entirely on why the movie is R-rated and whether or not there's some greater moral lesson to learn in spite of the sex, drugs, alcohol, blood, or cursing that may be present. When I was struggling with a stuttering problem during middle school, my mom had me watch The King's Speech, a movie about King George VI's trouble dealing with a speech impediment not unlike my own. There were several instances of strong language and some scenes with social drinking/smoking, but this movie really inspired me as a person with two speech impediments (a stutter and a slight lisp). If a king with a stutter worse than mine could overcome his fear of public speaking, why couldn't I? In short, it's not about the rating, but about what you get in terms of the overall message. Like some have said here before me, a movie that held true to the Bible would likely be rated NC-17. But the Bible applies to every aspect of life, illuminating the many ways that God can work in peoples' lives. That's what makes it a holy text and a worthwhile read.


Those boys weren't merely insulting Elijah. They were insulting God's prophet. It was by this man that God communicated to His people. Spirit of Prophecy says that those boys were not raised to regard the prophet with respect. Because of this they had to be punished. Idk if I explained that well so you might wanna look up the actual quote. Its in Prophets and Kings.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56311

  • ken10wil
  • ken10wil's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • bossome
  • Posts: 106
  • Thank you received: 80
Quirky wrote:
@ken10Wil, so because Phillipians 4:8 isn't a cure all, does that mean we can't use at all??
no I'm not saying that but.... Here is an example of such a movie. The Passion of the Christ was biblically accurate and pretty good. However there was a scene where Jesus was brutally whipped and there was blood and gore. It's R-rated. But still a good Christian movie. It's definitely not pure (cussing in Latin) or half the things in Philippians 4:18. But I would let my teen watch it in Sabbath school for related purposes.
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 7 months ago #56401

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3549
  • Thank you received: 2905
ken10wil wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@ken10Wil, so because Phillipians 4:8 isn't a cure all, does that mean we can't use at all??
no I'm not saying that but.... Here is an example of such a movie. The Passion of the Christ was biblically accurate and pretty good. However there was a scene where Jesus was brutally whipped and there was blood and gore. It's R-rated. But still a good Christian movie. It's definitely not pure (cussing in Latin) or half the things in Philippians 4:18. But I would let my teen watch it in Sabbath school for related purposes.

I will admit that I haven't seen the Passion of the Christ because it was rated R but we were talking to this guy who watched the movie and he said that it was totally inaccurate. Are you sure that the movie was accurate?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 6 months ago #57029

  • mittens92999
  • mittens92999's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Posts: 625
  • Thank you received: 330
SRNitro wrote:
People are bringing out the 1 Corinthians 10:31 and the Philippians 4:8 but the problem is that no one can ever perfectly master these verses. I don't always think about what is pure or right. I am a sinful person. I have thought about many things and they're not all pure or right. And whatever I do, I don't always do it to the glory of God. Me playing Minecraft is not doing glory to God, but neither is practicing basketball or soccer. You can't always follow these perfectly. I have watched rated-R movies such as Terminator (skipping over the sexual part) and Gladiator. It really depends on the person. People say "BLOOD IS BAD! BLOOD IS TERRIBLE!" You know what else is filled with blood? If the whole Bible was turned into a movie. It would be like the worst movie. It would probably be either Rated R or Rated NC-17 (Even worse than R). From Tamar being raped to David beheading kings over and over again, the Bible is GRUESOME. It's disgusting. I was reading Genesis, did you know that Lot, to save himself in Sodom and Gomorahh, just threw his daughters into a crowd to be raped. THE BIBLE IS TERRIBLE, yet great. Just because a movie has blood doesn't mean it can't teach you anything. The only bad thing is that pornography can be found in rated R movies. If there is I just skip it but I have only watched 2 movies with sex scenes but I just skip'm. It really depends on what your parents and you think you can watch.

I understand what you are saying and I know that everything we do isn't always right and pure but we have to try. If you know you shouldn't be watching an R-rated movie then don't. You might just think," Well later I can just ask God for forgiveness for whatever I did wrong," but if you know what you are doing is wrong, don't do it. You are purposely doing something you know is wrong. Comparing the Bible to an unpure horror movie doesn't seem right either. The things in the Bible actually happened and God can teach us lessons from those kind of things. What do you get from a horror movie? Alot of things you wish you hadn't seen. The only thing the producers of horror movies want is to make us have nightmares. God has a much better plan for our lives. There is no need to watch things like that if it's not necessary. The Bible will help us grow closer to God while horror movies, not as much.
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.


-15 years old
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

should christians watch r-rated movies. 1 year 5 months ago #58006

  • bush possum
  • bush possum's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Posts: 835
  • Thank you received: 990
SRNitro wrote:
People are bringing out the 1 Corinthians 10:31 and the Philippians 4:8 but the problem is that no one can ever perfectly master these verses. I don't always think about what is pure or right. I am a sinful person. I have thought about many things and they're not all pure or right. And whatever I do, I don't always do it to the glory of God. Me playing Minecraft is not doing glory to God, but neither is practicing basketball or soccer. You can't always follow these perfectly. I have watched rated-R movies such as Terminator (skipping over the sexual part) and Gladiator. It really depends on the person. People say "BLOOD IS BAD! BLOOD IS TERRIBLE!" You know what else is filled with blood? If the whole Bible was turned into a movie. It would be like the worst movie. It would probably be either Rated R or Rated NC-17 (Even worse than R). From Tamar being raped to David beheading kings over and over again, the Bible is GRUESOME. It's disgusting. I was reading Genesis, did you know that Lot, to save himself in Sodom and Gomorahh, just threw his daughters into a crowd to be raped. THE BIBLE IS TERRIBLE, yet great. Just because a movie has blood doesn't mean it can't teach you anything. The only bad thing is that pornography can be found in rated R movies. If there is I just skip it but I have only watched 2 movies with sex scenes but I just skip'm. It really depends on what your parents and you think you can watch.
Woah, woah woah! Since when did Lot throw his daughters into the crowd to save his own skin? Can you give me the reference please? I think you're confusing two stories. Lot did NOT throw his daughters out. The crowd demanded the two men (angels) and Lot was going to go out himself to try and tell them to be quiet, but then the angels stopped him and said, "You don't need to go out there. They've all been stricken with blindness." The thing with Lot's daughters was that after they had left Sodom, they lost faith in God that He would provide for them. They decided that they needed to continue their line and so slept with their father and each had a son. The OTHER story is the one about the Levite who gave his concubine to the angry Benjamites to save his host's daughter.
Also, just because we are sinful by nature, doesn't mean we have to stay that way. Jesus said, "Be ye perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect."
"If ye ask anything according to his will, He heareth us." 1 John 5:14
"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." Matthew 21:22
God allows us to feel the frailty of human love so we'll appreciate the strength of His.
~C. S. Lewis~
Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by bush possum. Reason: I was too demanding... soz....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

should christians watch r-rated movies. 10 months 3 weeks ago #64295

  • bush possum
  • bush possum's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Posts: 835
  • Thank you received: 990
To bring this argument up again, If a 10-second Super Bowl ad is worth some $10 million dollars, how come a 2 hour violence filled movie doesn't "affect us"?
A quote I found somewhere which I thought was very accurate...
God allows us to feel the frailty of human love so we'll appreciate the strength of His.
~C. S. Lewis~
Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

should christians watch r-rated movies. 10 months 3 weeks ago #64443

@bushpossum, Genesis 19:6-8
Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”
anyway, just so yall know, movie ratings are kinda messed up, the mpaa as i understand it is made up of los angeles parents who no one knows who they are, and sometimes their rating make no sense, like how sometimes you can have a really really violent movie and have it rated pg-13, and then take the same movie, and two "four letter words" so to speak and have it rated R, i mean, this literally happens with quite a few movies... and i once heard about a study (i'm not sure if it's true, but based on who i heard it from i'm pretty sure it is, but i havent seen the study myself) anyway, apparently according to that, films that were PG-13 usually had more gun violence and sexual scenes than R rated movies
anyway, just adding a few facts here, and if you want an example of these facts, look at suicide squad as an example. (i would not recommend watching it just to be clear)
oh, and regarding the passion of the christ, It is pretty accurate, its just that it also takes extra biblical accounts of the crucifixion, and thats why it might not seem to be completely accurate.
oh, and just as an FYI, Hacksaw Ridge, the new movie about Desmond Doss, is rated R and it has been watched by various Adventist Pastors and as i understand the only caution they would have about it is the violence, because it is a war movie, and well, war isn't throwing cotton candy at each other...
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 10 months 3 weeks ago #64562

  • bush possum
  • bush possum's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Posts: 835
  • Thank you received: 990
notturningaside wrote:
@bushpossum, Genesis 19:6-8
Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”
anyway, just so yall know, movie ratings are kinda messed up, the mpaa as i understand it is made up of los angeles parents who no one knows who they are, and sometimes their rating make no sense, like how sometimes you can have a really really violent movie and have it rated pg-13, and then take the same movie, and two "four letter words" so to speak and have it rated R, i mean, this literally happens with quite a few movies... and i once heard about a study (i'm not sure if it's true, but based on who i heard it from i'm pretty sure it is, but i havent seen the study myself) anyway, apparently according to that, films that were PG-13 usually had more gun violence and sexual scenes than R rated movies
anyway, just adding a few facts here, and if you want an example of these facts, look at suicide squad as an example. (i would not recommend watching it just to be clear)
oh, and regarding the passion of the christ, It is pretty accurate, its just that it also takes extra biblical accounts of the crucifixion, and thats why it might not seem to be completely accurate.
oh, and just as an FYI, Hacksaw Ridge, the new movie about Desmond Doss, is rated R and it has been watched by various Adventist Pastors and as i understand the only caution they would have about it is the violence, because it is a war movie, and well, war isn't throwing cotton candy at each other...
My point to SRNitro was that Lot didn't throw his daughters out (full stop) to save his own skin. He was going to do it for his guests.....
I don't watch many movies, and the ones I do are usually rated G. My theory is don't see how close you can get to the fire before you get burnt..... Once it's in your head, it will take a lot of time and prayer to get it out again.... and I speak from experience.....
God allows us to feel the frailty of human love so we'll appreciate the strength of His.
~C. S. Lewis~
Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, OUTBACK

should christians watch r-rated movies. 10 months 2 weeks ago #64723

SRNitro wrote:
People are bringing out the 1 Corinthians 10:31 and the Philippians 4:8 but the problem is that no one can ever perfectly master these verses. I don't always think about what is pure or right. I am a sinful person. I have thought about many things and they're not all pure or right. And whatever I do, I don't always do it to the glory of God. Me playing Minecraft is not doing glory to God, but neither is practicing basketball or soccer. You can't always follow these perfectly. I have watched rated-R movies such as Terminator (skipping over the sexual part) and Gladiator. It really depends on the person. People say "BLOOD IS BAD! BLOOD IS TERRIBLE!" You know what else is filled with blood? If the whole Bible was turned into a movie. It would be like the worst movie. It would probably be either Rated R or Rated NC-17 (Even worse than R). From Tamar being raped to David beheading kings over and over again, the Bible is GRUESOME. It's disgusting. I was reading Genesis, did you know that Lot, to save himself in Sodom and Gomorahh, just threw his daughters into a crowd to be raped. THE BIBLE IS TERRIBLE, yet great. Just because a movie has blood doesn't mean it can't teach you anything. The only bad thing is that pornography can be found in rated R movies. If there is I just skip it but I have only watched 2 movies with sex scenes but I just skip'm. It really depends on what your parents and you think you can watch.

I'm not replying to all the other stuff u wrote..but I did wanna comment on part of it just to give you an idea. You said that basketball or soccer (im not even gonna comment on minecraft...lol...I don't like it at all cuz all the guys at my co op play it ALL THE TIME)...anyway..back to my point. You said that basketball or soccer (so basically playing sports) isnt bringing glory to God, but I played on a volleyball team a couple months ago and one girl in particular on my team really made it into something that glorifies God. She always encouraged us not to give up and to remember that we're playing for God, not the ppl in the stands. She always made me feel welcome and loved and we prayed before every game that we would all have fun and use the gifts that God gave us to play friendly together and to be a witness to others...maybe you'd think that I only notice this stuff cuz I was on the team, but I can assure you it's not! My cousin came to one of the games (shes not a christian) and really paid attention to how encouraging and loving everyone was being. She said that on her team no one lifting each other up, they just tore her down when she messed up. I had a chance to tell her it was because God is at the center of what we do there and that gives us a chance to be encouraging, no matter what. So, just an idea, if you haven't already thought about it, try finding ways to glorify God even thru things like basketball or soccer...cuz it helped me a ton!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mp137

should christians watch r-rated movies. 10 months 1 day ago #65454

First things first, the bible contains a lot of r rated stuff, so just because it's r doesn't mean its bad. Also i think it depends on why it's r. A lot of them are probably because there us a lot of swearing, so that would be a good one not to watch. But for example, hacksaw ridge is rated r because of the violence, but the truth is that war is violent, and overall it's a great movie, so that would be one i say would be ok to watch
I'm antisocial (sigh)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 9 months 1 week ago #66101

  • SkeleBoy10
  • SkeleBoy10's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Posts: 70
  • Thank you received: 55
Well, it is based on what you think is right and what isn't. Movies that are rated g, pg, or pg 13, or even R, or anything really, is because of what the item at hand has in it. When a movie is rated R, it more often then not have cursing, violence, adult themes and subject matters, sex, and the use of drugs.

Now "Hacksaw Ridge (2016)" for example was rated R for the huge amount of violence contained in the film. The plot follows Desmond T. Doss, an Adventist. He joins the army during WWII and in the bloodiest battle, the battle of Okinawa, he refuses to carry a gun, stating that his way to serve isn't taking life, but rather saving it. Now, if you can handle the heavy gore, then sure, go ahead and watch it, it isn't wrong, and it has a good message to stay true to what you believe.

Now take a movie like, say, "Requiem For a Dream (2000)", were the plot follows a group of young adults, each of them becoming addicted to drugs. The overall theme, or message, of this movie is don't do drugs, it is horrible for you, and it can lead to destruction. It's rated R for frightening/intense scenes, heavy drug use, sex and nudity, and strong language. Now this movie is clearly a lot more adult then Hacksaw Ridge, and probably isn't the best movie out there.

One more example of R rated movies, is "Scream (1996)", a horror film. This movie is about a group of teens, but one of them is "Someone who has seen one too many scary movies." That man, named Billy Loomis or "Ghostface" as his killer name, uses scary movies as a part of a deadly game of cat and mouse. It raises the question of the bad side effects of watching horror flicks. This movie is rated R for heavy violence, strong language, and intense/ frightening scenes, with a very adult plot. This movie has the purpose of to scare you and/or give you a thrill experience. This movie, doesn't give a good message in the end sequence; in the end, it stats that whatever you do has no consequence, because all of life is a movie, and you chose your genre. Therefore, killing is okay, because nothing matters, everything is just a game. The majority of the movie raises interesting questions, but the ending makes it highly questionable.

So out of the 3 examples I gave, the reasons tend to be consistent. Either drug use, violence, cursing, and intensity, and sex. Now how those aspects are used it changes the movie, or the amount of these things also vary. With horror, it really isn't the best to watch. With the sex and nudity, yeah, probably skip them. With cursing, it vary's by who is watching, but if you don't mind it, then it shouldn't be a problem. It also kind of matters what the message of the movie is. The message of Hacksaw was a good one, but with Scream it is saying killing is fine, or any sin really, and that is not a good message. So find what you think is good or reasonable, and the choice is yours.


"You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
"If you love me, keep my commandments."

Roblox: SkeleBoy10
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by SkeleBoy10.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 5 months 2 weeks ago #75681

  • BellaB
  • BellaB's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 12
  • Thank you received: 24
You shouldn't watch movies AT ALL.
You could be doing something that is productive and uplifting!
God is calling us youth to be His army!
And if we waste our time doing such foolishness, God is going to judge our time wasted.
Do the right thing and pray and ask God to "Create me a clean heart"
With God, ALL things are possible~!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

should christians watch r-rated movies. 5 months 2 weeks ago #75694

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 732
  • Thank you received: 483
Well, Hacksaw Ridge is rated R and it's an SDA based movie.
*Signature = work in progress*
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blue Tornado

should christians watch r-rated movies. 5 months 2 weeks ago #75696

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 732
  • Thank you received: 483
BellaB wrote:
You shouldn't watch movies AT ALL.
You could be doing something that is productive and uplifting!
God is calling us youth to be His army!
And if we waste our time doing such foolishness, God is going to judge our time wasted.
Do the right thing and pray and ask God to "Create me a clean heart"
It's all about balance. There are many movies out there that are very uplifting and motivational towards Christ. There are so many testimonies about baptism and conversion because they watched an amazing movie that inspired them to become SDA or christian. But like I said -- balance. If watching movies all the time even on Sabbath is taking you away from God, then lay off and find a balance!
God is not a judgmental God. He is loving and delights in us and forgives. God is not so judgmental that He says "Oh, you opened your eyes in church during prayer, therefore I will have a infinite grudge on you and judge you in heaven." No! God is loving and forgiving.
Yes, we should ask God to give us clean hearts. But God delights in us, and He's okay if we delight in ourselves. Nobody is a perfect Christian.
*Signature = work in progress*
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 5 months 2 weeks ago #75715

  • Mp137
  • Mp137's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Posts: 2177
  • Thank you received: 1941
BellaB wrote:
You shouldn't watch movies AT ALL.
You could be doing something that is productive and uplifting!
God is calling us youth to be His army!
And if we waste our time doing such foolishness, God is going to judge our time wasted.
Do the right thing and pray and ask God to "Create me a clean heart"

Most movies I watch are very uplifting and often educational
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 5 months 2 weeks ago #75724

  • Kwesi
  • Kwesi's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love Poems and Quotes
  • Posts: 640
  • Thank you received: 1333
BellaB wrote:
You shouldn't watch movies AT ALL.
You could be doing something that is productive and uplifting!
God is calling us youth to be His army!
And if we waste our time doing such foolishness, God is going to judge our time wasted.
Do the right thing and pray and ask God to "Create me a clean heart"
Well I think it depends on your moral and values. Some movies are educational and inspirational.
You shouldn't watch movies that draw you away from your walk with God
Today, give yourself permission to be outrageously kind, irrationally warm, improbably generous. I promise it will be a blast
Sasha Dichter
The administrator has disabled public write access.

should christians watch r-rated movies. 5 months 2 weeks ago #75823

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 732
  • Thank you received: 483
Kwesi wrote:
BellaB wrote:
You shouldn't watch movies AT ALL.
You could be doing something that is productive and uplifting!
God is calling us youth to be His army!
And if we waste our time doing such foolishness, God is going to judge our time wasted.
Do the right thing and pray and ask God to "Create me a clean heart"
Well I think it depends on your moral and values. Some movies are educational and inspirational.
You shouldn't watch movies that draw you away from your walk with God
It's all about balance.
*Signature = work in progress*
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds