Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nelson Mandela Tribute

Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #33985

• 4given4itall
  • me and my horse
  • Thank you received: 75
Hi all.

Not sure if you know but it seems like the whole world is mourning for our former president Nelson Mandela's death. :( Anything to say if you do. Just mentioning it cause it's my country in the headlines everywhere this time! :lol:

MegZ
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: notturningaside, icebat, piggl3t, Horsegirl14, DukeHelton, Quirky, smileygon10, kyleson, SWAG TA THE MAX and this user have 2 others thankyou

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #33987

• Big al
  • I just Love being Me and Hearts
  • Thank you received: 225
Some quick facts for you who don't know who Nelson Mandela is
to me he was a God fearing man who was a hero and very close to my heart

1. Mandela's birth name – Rolihlahla – is an isiXhosa name that means "pulling the branch of the tree". Colloquially it also means "troublemaker". His English name, Nelson, was given to him by a missionary schoolteacher.

2. He was expelled from the University of Fort Hare after joining a student protest. He later completed his degree through Unisa, which he followed up with a law degree from Wits University.

3. He fled the Eastern Cape for Johannesburg after Jongintaba Dalindyebo, the leader of the Tembu people, tried to set up an arranged marriage for him. After arriving in the city, he found work as a night watchman at a mine.

4. He lived in Alexandra township at first but later moved in with close friend Walter Sisulu and Sisulu's mother in Orlando, Soweto.

5. Mandela's first wife, Evelyn Mase, was a nurse and Sisulu's cousin. She was the breadwinner in the family and supported Mandela while he studied law at Wits University and became further involved in politics. They had four children together and divorced in 1958.

6. He was not only the first commander in chief of the ANC's armed wing, Umkhonto we Sizwe, but was also, together with Oliver Tambo, co-founder of the country's first black law firm, Mandela & Tambo, which defended people affected by apartheid laws.

7. In 1962, he left the country to garner support for the armed struggle. During this time he received guerilla training in Morocco and Ethiopia.

8. The circumstances surrounding his arrest at a police roadblock outside of Howick later that year remain unclear but it is believed that an American CIA agent tipped off the police about his whereabouts. He was convicted of sabotage and attempting to violently overthrow the government.

9. During his time in prison, Mandela was restricted to a 2m x 2.5m cell, with nothing but a bedroll on the floor and a bucket for sanitation in it. He was consigned to hard labour in a lime quarry for much of that time and was, at first, only allowed one visitor and one letter every six months.

10. The apartheid government offered to release Mandela on no less than six occasions but he rejected them each time. On one such occasion Mandela released a statement saying: "I cherish my own freedom dearly, but I care even more for your freedom ... What freedom am I being offered while the organisation of the people [the ANC] remains banned?"

11. Mandela wrote a memoir during the 70s, copies of which were wrapped in plastic containers and buried in a vegetable garden which he kept at prison. It was hoped that fellow prisoner Mac Maharaj, who was due for release, would be able to smuggle it out. But the containers were discovered when prison authorities began building a wall through the garden. As punishment, Mandela's study privileges were revoked.

12. After he was separated from his second wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, he asked struggle stalwart Amina Cachalia, with whom he had a long relationship, to marry him but she turned him down. On his 80th birthday, Mandela married Graça Machel, the widow of Mozambique's former president Samora Machel.

13. The ANC was labelled a terrorist organisation by the apartheid government and was recognised as such by countries including the US and Britain. It was only in 2008 that the United States finally removed Mandela and other ANC members from its terror list.

14. The United Nations declared his birthday, July 18, Nelson Mandela International Day. This was the first time the UN dedicated a particular day to a person.

15. Hundreds of awards and honours have been bestowed on Mandela. Among others, he is an honorary citizen of Canada, an honorary member of the British Labour Party, and an honorary member of Manchester United. He also had a nuclear particle (the 'Mandela particle'), a prehistoric woodpecker (Australopicus nelsonmandelai) and an orchid (Paravanda Nelson Mandela) named after him.
Too many years trying not to rock the boat
I gotta quote, "I don't wanna rock the boat, I wanna sink it"
Ima just do it

KB. Ima Just Do It
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4given4itall

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #33992

• Skite
  • Science and LEGO Bricks. Oh and sleep.
  • Thank you received: 604
My fullest condolences. He was one of the most amazing presidents, he was like the George Washington of Africa. And not only has he fought physical wars, but also sickneses. But finnaly he finnished his race, life, and may God be with this amazing president. Go Nelson Mandela!!!!!
So let me sing for the love
Let me love for the lost
Let me lose all I have
For what I found on the cross
Let me trust you with my life
Let me live to give you praise
Lord, let me praise you
For the grace by which I'm saved
Lord, let me sing

- Chorus of "Let me sing" by Andrew Peterson

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #33999

• Bribree
  • Thank you received: 158
I've heard ALL about it. Every time I turn on the news they're talking about it. It's really sad though. I don't blame them. But at least he dies for reasonable reasons. Like old age and because he was sick....not because he got shot or anything. It's a real shock that he had went to prison for 27 YEARS and then became PRESIDENT of South Africa. It's super sad and...well I don't know. But he was really meant to be. If it wasn't for him, South Africa would have been a racist country.... And he died yesterday. He was 95 years old....which is pretty good. I don't really know what type of sickness he had. :(
;) GOD ♡ U ...... I ♡ U
;)~Bribree~ ;)

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34000

I have heard about him and how he got put in prison for going against the racial stuff going on over there it's sad he had to pass but he did make a difference.And my dad says and free Mandela lol.

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34010

• icebat
  • WUB WUB WUB
  • Thank you received: 28
im sorry he died :( but i find it cool your country is in the news every where :)
I'min love with this thing called the Moon.

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34013

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1214
Mandela was an inspiration. He truly deserved the nickname "Tata".
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34033

When I found out I was almost crying Its really sad :( RIP Nelson Mandela (One of the greatest persons that ever lived on earth)

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34055

• *bjc4christ*
  • God first
  • Thank you received: 98
This is a very sad topic to talk about because he was one of the greatest people ever and I am very glad that God has spared him 95 years ....he will be missed!!!:(
'THE BIBLE IS AN ANVIL THAT HAS WORN OUT MANY HAMMERS'...EARLY REFORMER OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH...*

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34080

• lloyd
  • John 11:35; JESUS WEPT
  • Thank you received: 11
i'm African and this really hit hard :( :blink:
"lloyd"
;)

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34118

Very sad!!! :( :( :( :( :( I learned about him in school for social studies in grade 8. He was an amazing man.

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34144

• gigi4god
  • Thank you received: 41
I was shocked to see that he had died. My mom told me little about him, and I did some learning about him on the web. He was a great guy.I know that he is God's child, God loves him and everyone of us. It was brave and patriotic of you to do that. God bless you for remembering his child.
gigi4god <3

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34156

It's my country too :) This is really awkward, but I thought he passed away a couple of months ago? Or did I just imagine it in the news and stuff O.o Idk :L It's still sad, though.

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 11 months ago #34269

• 4given4itall
  • me and my horse
  • Thank you received: 75
kirstie 1234, not to worry! no, he died on 5th December this year.

lloyd and kirstie 1234, Yay! Some Africans! :lol: I thought i was the only 1!

MegZ

Re: Nelson Mandela Tribute 3 years 10 months ago #34727

Nelson Mandela was an amazing man! I watched a documentary about him a few week ago with my classmates and I think we were all touched by his courage, faith, and spirit! ;)
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds