Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Writing

Writing 1 month 2 days ago #90282

• SkeleBoy10
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 64
So, I figured I'd make a post about writing tips, 'cause why not. If any of you guys want to know more about how to tell a story, techniques in writing, the three act plot structure, and all that, you can reply down below. I'll try my best to give you my advice for your questions as soon as I can. Even though I haven't posted any stories to the Talent Showcase, I do like to write scripts for little short films. I thought it would be kinda fun to share my knowledge in storytelling with you guys.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Writing 1 month 2 days ago #90295

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 617
How in depth should you go in a 5 minute story?
All rules have exceptions, including this one.

Writing 1 month 12 hours ago #90327

• SkeleBoy10
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 64
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
How in depth should you go in a 5 minute story?

If you want a story that is 5 minutes, you wouldn't have as many scenes as in a feature film or novel. Usually for a short story, you want to keep it as simple as possible, so that it all fits, but it doesn't seem overly cut, or overly edited.
One of the first things I learned in writing, is the three act story structure. Now, in the three acts, there are many side structures, or beats. Now, it's 5 minutes, so you wouldn't want to cram all the information into just 5 minutes. So, you simplify.
Every story has three parts, or acts. A beginning, middle, and an end.
You want to start off by introducing a character, or a setting for your story. It doesn't have to be long, but enough for the audience to know who or what they are following. It could even be a few shots or a few lines of dialogue. That makes them care for what they are watching, or reading.
The next thing you want is an inciting incident. Otherwise known as a catalyst. This is the thing that pushes the story in a new direction. It could be a natural thing, or a choice between two things, it doesn't matter. What it does is end the first act, with set up, and pushes the story to the second act, where most of the story takes place.
The second act should follow that character choosing to go with the new decision brought to him in the catalyst, or to leave it behind. This builds conflict, and makes your story engaging, and exciting. Even if it's as simple as having someone choose between two hard choices, and the audience has no idea which one he'll pick, is a great way to build suspense.
The final act has two mini parts. A climax, and the resolution.
The climax is the most intense part of the story. Could be a battle, or a plot twist.
The resolution is short, but it follows the characters after the main story, and how that event in the story changes his/her life in some way. The character is different. Character development occurs. The story is over, the characters are new, it all comes to a close.

In short, even if your story is 5 minutes, you start by introducing a character, giving that character a choice, follow him make that choice, and how that choice changed the life of the character.
That would be as deep as you could probably go in a 5 minute story. It may seem like much, but it's not really. If you know how to apply it to your story, even a toned down three act structure helps in creating suspense, and engagement with the audience, and could be very useful for any story, weather it is 5 minutes, or 50 minutes.

I hope that helped!
Moderators: jreteenmom
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds