Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88622

@SRNitro, I haven't seen any studies on desensitization, but I know from personal experience and individual cases it does happen. Also, your entire attitude towards death is pretty indicative that you're already desensitized. However it isn't necessarily bad, I just thought you should realize that you're acting desensitized.
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88625

  • nadcombo
  • nadcombo's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 197
  • Thank you received: 50
SRNitro wrote:
nadcombo wrote:
the way I put it is, its code. words. it ain't real. it has no physical form. for all intensive purposes- it's electricity. so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine. to a point. also, like I said, I've been playing shooters for years. I've never wanted to go and shoot someone, nor have I been desensitized to death. in fact, I am more aware of death and what it is. so to summarize, it isn't real, get over it. There are also more than just shooters. Ive racked almost 250hrs in farming sim 17, and still going. forza series, I've started playing Dirt rally, simple planes, well over 100hrs in spintires 100+hrs in beam ng drive, thousands of hours in Minecraft, 40 some odd hours in train sim, and more. so classifying gaming as bad as a whole, is wrong.

"so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine."

Wait what? With this one statement you totally contradict yourself. Doom and Wolfenstein are totally fine games to play.

ok, you either never saw those games, or you have a screw loose. Doom is one of the most violent and satanic things out there. Wolfenstein is also very violent, and to add to that, gas some 18+ scenes. Both have very strong language.
COUNTRY'S GOOD OK!!! IF YA DONT BELIVE ME?! listen to three wooden crosses, and what ifs, and drunk on you, and forever country. THATS MY opinion...

results may very......
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 6 days ago #88667

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3941
  • Thank you received: 3133
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
They’re not SDA only beliefs. Many Christians believe that violent videogames harm our youth.

That's what I was going to say. I know a lot of SDAs that play video games, so I think its more of a case by case kind of thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 6 days ago #88685

Quirky wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
They’re not SDA only beliefs. Many Christians believe that violent videogames harm our youth.

That's what I was going to say. I know a lot of SDAs that play video games, so I think its more of a case by case kind of thing.
I mean yea but tbh i dont think anyone thinks that strongly about it besides SDAs
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Last Edit: 1 month 6 days ago by bush possum. Reason: By request
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 6 days ago #88695

  • Kwesi
  • Kwesi's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love Poems and Quotes
  • Posts: 775
  • Thank you received: 1394
LolingforJesus wrote:
Quirky wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
They’re not SDA only beliefs. Many Christians believe that violent videogames harm our youth.

That's what I was going to say. I know a lot of SDAs that play video games, so I think its more of a case by case kind of thing.
I mean yea but tbh i dont think anyone thinks that strongly about it besides SDAs
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Quakers, Jehovah witness
Life is too short for petty games and argument.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, SRNitro

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 5 days ago #88731

Kwesi wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
Quirky wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
They’re not SDA only beliefs. Many Christians believe that violent videogames harm our youth.

That's what I was going to say. I know a lot of SDAs that play video games, so I think its more of a case by case kind of thing.
I mean yea but tbh i dont think anyone thinks that strongly about it besides SDAs
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Quakers, Jehovah witness
:blink:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 5 days ago #88756

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
nadcombo wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
nadcombo wrote:
the way I put it is, its code. words. it ain't real. it has no physical form. for all intensive purposes- it's electricity. so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine. to a point. also, like I said, I've been playing shooters for years. I've never wanted to go and shoot someone, nor have I been desensitized to death. in fact, I am more aware of death and what it is. so to summarize, it isn't real, get over it. There are also more than just shooters. Ive racked almost 250hrs in farming sim 17, and still going. forza series, I've started playing Dirt rally, simple planes, well over 100hrs in spintires 100+hrs in beam ng drive, thousands of hours in Minecraft, 40 some odd hours in train sim, and more. so classifying gaming as bad as a whole, is wrong.

"so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine."

Wait what? With this one statement you totally contradict yourself. Doom and Wolfenstein are totally fine games to play.

ok, you either never saw those games, or you have a screw loose. Doom is one of the most violent and satanic things out there. Wolfenstein is also very violent, and to add to that, gas some 18+ scenes. Both have very strong language.

Yeah but you could use your same arguement for Doom and Wolfenstein. "the way I put it is, its code. words. it ain't real. it has no physical form. for all intensive purposes- it's electricity." Other than the 18+ Wolfenstein scenes. I can totally understand that. Sometimes it effects people but for me, it's up to what I'm watching. In Schindler's List there is nudity and a lot of it but I was never aroused or affected by it because the movie is so somber and the sex isn't used for that so it isn't really like that. Now there are some stuff that actually wants you to be like that and that is where it can cross the line.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 5 days ago #88757

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
endershadow112 wrote:
@SRNitro, I haven't seen any studies on desensitization, but I know from personal experience and individual cases it does happen. Also, your entire attitude towards death is pretty indicative that you're already desensitized. However it isn't necessarily bad, I just thought you should realize that you're acting desensitized.

My desensitization isn't coming from video games that's all I know because I can't play violent video games unfortunately (but I can basically watch any movie I want which is weird as long as it's not just pornography). But most movies I watch actually make death more powerful. Like I watch Black Mirror which really deeply affects me, also The Shining. it doesn't desensitize me but scares me more about death.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 day ago #88956

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 720
  • Thank you received: 564
SRNitro wrote:
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
SRNitro, there are studies that suggest that video games are desensitizing. There are also studies that say that they aren’t. I imagine you’ve probably looked at both sides, so how did you decide which studies were accurate?
(Not challenging you; I would’ve asked you this question regardless of your position.)

Well then why not ask the others also? Honestly I don’t know. All I know is from personal experience and there’s nothing wrong with desensitization. The most wonderful and nicest people I know play violent videogames. I don’t think it has anything to do with that at all. I’ve searched it up and some studies show that violent videogames do desensitize us and some do vise versa. It’s all from personal experience from me.
I thought I’d ask you first, since it’s your topic.
So how about the others? What do you guys think of the different studies? Or do they make a difference to you at all?
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 day ago #88960

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 720
  • Thank you received: 564
SRNitro wrote:
endershadow112 wrote:
@SRNitro, I haven't seen any studies on desensitization, but I know from personal experience and individual cases it does happen. Also, your entire attitude towards death is pretty indicative that you're already desensitized. However it isn't necessarily bad, I just thought you should realize that you're acting desensitized.

My desensitization isn't coming from video games that's all I know because I can't play violent video games unfortunately (but I can basically watch any movie I want which is weird as long as it's not just pornography). But most movies I watch actually make death more powerful. Like I watch Black Mirror which really deeply affects me, also The Shining. it doesn't desensitize me but scares me more about death.

I am curious. What is your opinion on horror movies?
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 3 weeks 4 days ago #89333

  • ken10wil
  • ken10wil's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • bossome
  • Posts: 113
  • Thank you received: 88
SRNitro wrote:
Warning: This topic is going to mention violent actions and death so if you’re queesy about this steer away. To be fair, if you’re queesy about reading about violence then you shouldn’t read the Bible... pretty hypocritical...

Why does everyone still think violence is a bad thing? It can be used to spread a message or just to be thrilling. This is an example in many good things such as The Bible, The Passion of the Christ, and any book on history. Just because it has some blood in it that doesn’t mean it is bad. Just because I shoot someone in Call of Duty that doesn’t mean I’m enjoying the death of others and making fun of what sin created. I’m just competeting others in the most natural way, through warfare. Warfare is a bad thing but that doesn’t mean that the pretending of it is bad. In Nightcrawler when (Spoilers for the movie)
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
It is the most scary and touching part of the movie. It shows the corruption of companies and people. It is so powerful. But yet people will consider it bad because blood comes out from the back of this guy. The blood is used to show what I have mentioned before.
In video games, blood is used just to add realism. There is nothing wrong with trying to make a game realistic. When playing laser tag, you’re point is to use a dispenser to hit someone before someone hits you and because of this. This game brings competetive motives, athleticism, and thrill and because of this, dispensing games, also known as gun games, have become one of the best and most replicated games to play. Just because there is blood you think Jesus will be like, “Johnny was shot like that back in 1902... HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT HIM!” No he understands it’s a game and it’s just for the thrill and not actual death. What makes death so powerful is that it ends life. It ends a life full of relationships and desires. That’s what is terrible about death and that’s what makes it so powerful. These games don’t do that. It takes death but gets rid of all the powerful stuff until it isn’t a death anymore. You do notice, when watching a movie, when you see someone die that you haven’t met like a henchmen, it isn’t powerful. Because you had no connection with it and you didn’t get to see it be a real human being with desires, relationships, and realism. You just see as an object. When a main character dies that you connect with, it’s powerful and movies use that. If you really think that these fakes death are powerful. You don’t know what makes death what it is and why it’s so terrible. You don’t understand death.
Also stop using that verse that says to focus on what’s good. I am focusing on something entertaining. Something as entertaining as tag. And blood doesn’t make it bad. It is a good form of entertainment and that’s all it is. It doesn’t include death because that isn’t death. It is a mere competition of winning and losing.

Most normal people are capable of making a mental effort to separate fiction from reality. The "thrill" that comes from watching or playing such violent games is a side effect of our brains being unable to tell the difference between reality and what we perceive. After repeat exposure most people will begin to feel less of a "thrill" because despite the fact our brains still process that there is a threat it has realized that the threat is non existent so it has less of a response. For me, personally i have become less violent after playing violent video games. In my Youth i had anger issues and was prone to tantrums and outbursts. This was back when i was sheltered and the most serious game i had ever played was Pokemon Emerald. However as I matured and my conscience developed my anger problem began to fade away and with the help of God it is now mostly gone. I enjoy games with competition, like SR. We both love Over watch, i forced him to play Paladins for 30 minutes, and we both love a game where pawns beat each other up with magic and pointy objects, otherwise known as Clash Royale. Sr has not become more violent since i first met him and neither have I. That isnt to say such games haven't effected me per say. Since i started taking an avid interest in fighting games since 8th grade, i've become more confident and less intimidated by people who are physically stronger than me. My physique hasnt changed, but playing games where people beat each other up has made me feel less fear of situations that would incur physical violence. I have not become more aggressive however, neither have i become more belligerent, I just feel more confident in said situations.

Paragraph break so you can breathe. Now lets talk about killing itself. For me killing in video games is an important plot element. An example of this is Undertale, a game that I still think is fairly good for a mere 10 bucks. The game repeatedly establishes that killing is bad and the more monsters you kill the more gritty the story becomes. Some people go through the Genocide route and become just as desensitized ad the player they control. To them they see the death as fictional, and therefore moot. These people aren't future killers, they simply don't care about the consequences of their actions on a virtual world. For me, the more the character i controlled became desensitized the more sensitized i became to killing more and more npcs. These were fictional but innocent characters and the point of the game is to make you question how we callously do actions in real life that hurt others but don't care as they're small problems, just as the killing of these virtual characters are small and insignificant. The game's message got me, but that didn't stop me from finishing the route and 100% the game because I still understood that in real life i would not attempt a genocide. People can be desensitized to violence, but still understand violence is wrong. People who play violent video games and then proceed to be violent in real life had issues before they picked up the controller, not as the result.

Now personally i think that if you enjoy your games because hyper-realistic blood comes out in 4KHD when you kill someone and makes you feel like an adult, then you have poor taste and probably have a maturity issue. However to me, violent video games become a sin when you begin to replicate those behaviors in real life, you develop an addiction (in a bad way) and/or violent video games take up to much of your time. For me if your in the right mental state of mind, violent video games are not a crime. Unless your telling me just thinking of violence is a sin, in which case then Joshua should be ashamed of himself for massacring a large quantity of people, invading their homes and killing their women and children, in real life, with real consequences. But no, violent video games, which cause an extremely small amount of people each decade to commit crimes are the problem here, right?
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 3 weeks 4 days ago #89334

  • ken10wil
  • ken10wil's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • bossome
  • Posts: 113
  • Thank you received: 88
Quirky wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
LolingforJesus wrote:
Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
They’re not SDA only beliefs. Many Christians believe that violent videogames harm our youth.

That's what I was going to say. I know a lot of SDAs that play video games, so I think its more of a case by case kind of thing.
pretty sure he's and Adventist since I go to church with him every other week when i can. (the other times i go to my home church)
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 3 weeks 4 days ago #89335

  • ken10wil
  • ken10wil's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • bossome
  • Posts: 113
  • Thank you received: 88
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro

How do you know that the those kinds of movies and things aren't affecting your mind on a deeper level than you are aware? What if its desensitizing you to the enormity of sin?

"As they witnessed in drooping flower and falling leaf the first signs of decay, Adam and his companion mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The death of the frail, delicate flowers was indeed a cause of sorrow; but when the goodly trees cast off their leaves, the scene brought vividly to mind the stern fact that death is the portion of every living thing. PP 62.1

I put this quote here to show how seeing death affected our first parents. They mourned the death of a flower more deeply than we now mourn our own dead! What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?

Still have qualms with killing people and i watched the Shining and laughed at the gore scenes.
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 3 weeks 4 days ago #89336

  • ken10wil
  • ken10wil's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • bossome
  • Posts: 113
  • Thank you received: 88
Allison C wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro, I won't lie to you. I have made jokes about death (and often times I feel kinda bad after I make a joke like that). I'm not claiming to be perfect or anything. I guess my main concern is this: You say that Jesus wouldn't mind us taking part in the stuff that we're talking about right now, but where is your basis for that assumption. Does it come from the Word of God? That was why I asked the question earlier about what you base your standards on. If God is your standard, or the one that you base your standards on, where does He say that partaking of violence and gore for entertainment is acceptable?

And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them.

Those are just my thoughts. Thanks for challenging my way of thinking! :cheer:

I am going to say that in the Bible it doesn't say that you can watch murder or play murder. But, at the same time it never references to not watching it or relating to it. I believe God doesn't care about how much blood there is in something. Where does God say that he hates people watching or playing fake death?

"And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them."

I think we should love Jesus whether or not the world is suffering. I think we should give whether or not people are suffering and dying.

Oh boy. If you don't think the bible makes no reference not to watch or relate to death, you've got another thing coming. Just take a look at Psalms 101:3: "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."
Sure, the commandments may not say that you can't watch something like that. But, if you study it out and think about it, all those commandments go right to the heart of everything. For instance, the 8th commandment isn't just talking about cheating on your wife. It references every kind of sexual sin. Same with the others.
And plus, by beholding you become changed. Would you want Jesus to look over your shoulder while you do those games? Even better (or worse!), would he actually sit down and play them with you?
And even so, you become desensitized after while. It's not the blood SRNitro. Blood is vital to life. I plan on being a nurse, so I know I'll encounter a lot of blood. Blood isn't the issue. Point is, why, would you even "play kill" someone on a video game screen?! WHY!? It's a human life that it's representing! What is even the point?! The bible (either that or E.G White) tells us that when we watch a wrongful act being committed, we are partaking in that person's (or those people's) sin(s).
Would you be doing those video games in heaven? Or something even remotely like that? I honestly don't think so.

And i bet when David wrote that he quietly listened to his servant playing a soothing song, while reminiscing on how he brutally stabbed a guy in the chest and then thought to himself "that wasn't wicked, that wasn't wicked at all"
cuz liberalism is a mental disease and video games are awesome
favorite text:
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:12
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 2 weeks 4 days ago #89547

  • master builder
  • master builder's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I can build all things through Christ who gives me
  • Posts: 71
  • Thank you received: 30
If you find nothing wrong shooting fake people in video games then most likely later one you would do later in life.


Minecraft / xbox username ,veganboy05
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 week 3 days ago #89763

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
ken10wil wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
Warning: This topic is going to mention violent actions and death so if you’re queesy about this steer away. To be fair, if you’re queesy about reading about violence then you shouldn’t read the Bible... pretty hypocritical...

Why does everyone still think violence is a bad thing? It can be used to spread a message or just to be thrilling. This is an example in many good things such as The Bible, The Passion of the Christ, and any book on history. Just because it has some blood in it that doesn’t mean it is bad. Just because I shoot someone in Call of Duty that doesn’t mean I’m enjoying the death of others and making fun of what sin created. I’m just competeting others in the most natural way, through warfare. Warfare is a bad thing but that doesn’t mean that the pretending of it is bad. In Nightcrawler when (Spoilers for the movie)
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
It is the most scary and touching part of the movie. It shows the corruption of companies and people. It is so powerful. But yet people will consider it bad because blood comes out from the back of this guy. The blood is used to show what I have mentioned before.
In video games, blood is used just to add realism. There is nothing wrong with trying to make a game realistic. When playing laser tag, you’re point is to use a dispenser to hit someone before someone hits you and because of this. This game brings competetive motives, athleticism, and thrill and because of this, dispensing games, also known as gun games, have become one of the best and most replicated games to play. Just because there is blood you think Jesus will be like, “Johnny was shot like that back in 1902... HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT HIM!” No he understands it’s a game and it’s just for the thrill and not actual death. What makes death so powerful is that it ends life. It ends a life full of relationships and desires. That’s what is terrible about death and that’s what makes it so powerful. These games don’t do that. It takes death but gets rid of all the powerful stuff until it isn’t a death anymore. You do notice, when watching a movie, when you see someone die that you haven’t met like a henchmen, it isn’t powerful. Because you had no connection with it and you didn’t get to see it be a real human being with desires, relationships, and realism. You just see as an object. When a main character dies that you connect with, it’s powerful and movies use that. If you really think that these fakes death are powerful. You don’t know what makes death what it is and why it’s so terrible. You don’t understand death.
Also stop using that verse that says to focus on what’s good. I am focusing on something entertaining. Something as entertaining as tag. And blood doesn’t make it bad. It is a good form of entertainment and that’s all it is. It doesn’t include death because that isn’t death. It is a mere competition of winning and losing.

Most normal people are capable of making a mental effort to separate fiction from reality. The "thrill" that comes from watching or playing such violent games is a side effect of our brains being unable to tell the difference between reality and what we perceive. After repeat exposure most people will begin to feel less of a "thrill" because despite the fact our brains still process that there is a threat it has realized that the threat is non existent so it has less of a response. For me, personally i have become less violent after playing violent video games. In my Youth i had anger issues and was prone to tantrums and outbursts. This was back when i was sheltered and the most serious game i had ever played was Pokemon Emerald. However as I matured and my conscience developed my anger problem began to fade away and with the help of God it is now mostly gone. I enjoy games with competition, like SR. We both love Over watch, i forced him to play Paladins for 30 minutes, and we both love a game where pawns beat each other up with magic and pointy objects, otherwise known as Clash Royale. Sr has not become more violent since i first met him and neither have I. That isnt to say such games haven't effected me per say. Since i started taking an avid interest in fighting games since 8th grade, i've become more confident and less intimidated by people who are physically stronger than me. My physique hasnt changed, but playing games where people beat each other up has made me feel less fear of situations that would incur physical violence. I have not become more aggressive however, neither have i become more belligerent, I just feel more confident in said situations.

Paragraph break so you can breathe. Now lets talk about killing itself. For me killing in video games is an important plot element. An example of this is Undertale, a game that I still think is fairly good for a mere 10 bucks. The game repeatedly establishes that killing is bad and the more monsters you kill the more gritty the story becomes. Some people go through the Genocide route and become just as desensitized ad the player they control. To them they see the death as fictional, and therefore moot. These people aren't future killers, they simply don't care about the consequences of their actions on a virtual world. For me, the more the character i controlled became desensitized the more sensitized i became to killing more and more npcs. These were fictional but innocent characters and the point of the game is to make you question how we callously do actions in real life that hurt others but don't care as they're small problems, just as the killing of these virtual characters are small and insignificant. The game's message got me, but that didn't stop me from finishing the route and 100% the game because I still understood that in real life i would not attempt a genocide. People can be desensitized to violence, but still understand violence is wrong. People who play violent video games and then proceed to be violent in real life had issues before they picked up the controller, not as the result.

Now personally i think that if you enjoy your games because hyper-realistic blood comes out in 4KHD when you kill someone and makes you feel like an adult, then you have poor taste and probably have a maturity issue. However to me, violent video games become a sin when you begin to replicate those behaviors in real life, you develop an addiction (in a bad way) and/or violent video games take up to much of your time. For me if your in the right mental state of mind, violent video games are not a crime. Unless your telling me just thinking of violence is a sin, in which case then Joshua should be ashamed of himself for massacring a large quantity of people, invading their homes and killing their women and children, in real life, with real consequences. But no, violent video games, which cause an extremely small amount of people each decade to commit crimes are the problem here, right?
Hey just so you know I've been wanting to play with you for a while now! Don't make people think that I hate playing with you! I love it and would want to do it again it's just that you haven't accepted my Overwatch friend request so don't even! (Please I have no friends)

Also thank you for explaining something way better than I can as per usual.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 week 3 days ago #89764

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
ken10wil wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro

How do you know that the those kinds of movies and things aren't affecting your mind on a deeper level than you are aware? What if its desensitizing you to the enormity of sin?

"As they witnessed in drooping flower and falling leaf the first signs of decay, Adam and his companion mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The death of the frail, delicate flowers was indeed a cause of sorrow; but when the goodly trees cast off their leaves, the scene brought vividly to mind the stern fact that death is the portion of every living thing. PP 62.1

I put this quote here to show how seeing death affected our first parents. They mourned the death of a flower more deeply than we now mourn our own dead! What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?

Still have qualms with killing people and i watched the Shining and laughed at the gore scenes.
Okay I love the Shining but I have to admit. After seeing the little kids I kind of laughed a little cause that cliche is so annoying. Yet when the movie did it first so technically it wasn't a cliche.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 week 3 days ago #89765

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
master builder wrote:
If you find nothing wrong shooting fake people in video games then most likely later one you would do later in life.

This just makes me laugh so much!

Hey did you know that 97% of people who play violent videogames have also shot up schools? It's true.

He has no proof or anything he just says that you do. If I play Harvest Moon and enjoy fake farming then that means you'll most likely become a farmer when you grow up! IT'S TRUUUEEE!

Hey did you know that 97% of people who play Harvest Moon have also become farmers? ITS TURE
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: jreteenmom
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds