Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 2 weeks ago #88174

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
Warning: This topic is going to mention violent actions and death so if you’re queesy about this steer away. To be fair, if you’re queesy about reading about violence then you shouldn’t read the Bible... pretty hypocritical...

Why does everyone still think violence is a bad thing? It can be used to spread a message or just to be thrilling. This is an example in many good things such as The Bible, The Passion of the Christ, and any book on history. Just because it has some blood in it that doesn’t mean it is bad. Just because I shoot someone in Call of Duty that doesn’t mean I’m enjoying the death of others and making fun of what sin created. I’m just competeting others in the most natural way, through warfare. Warfare is a bad thing but that doesn’t mean that the pretending of it is bad. In Nightcrawler when (Spoilers for the movie)
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
It is the most scary and touching part of the movie. It shows the corruption of companies and people. It is so powerful. But yet people will consider it bad because blood comes out from the back of this guy. The blood is used to show what I have mentioned before.
In video games, blood is used just to add realism. There is nothing wrong with trying to make a game realistic. When playing laser tag, you’re point is to use a dispenser to hit someone before someone hits you and because of this. This game brings competetive motives, athleticism, and thrill and because of this, dispensing games, also known as gun games, have become one of the best and most replicated games to play. Just because there is blood you think Jesus will be like, “Johnny was shot like that back in 1902... HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT HIM!” No he understands it’s a game and it’s just for the thrill and not actual death. What makes death so powerful is that it ends life. It ends a life full of relationships and desires. That’s what is terrible about death and that’s what makes it so powerful. These games don’t do that. It takes death but gets rid of all the powerful stuff until it isn’t a death anymore. You do notice, when watching a movie, when you see someone die that you haven’t met like a henchmen, it isn’t powerful. Because you had no connection with it and you didn’t get to see it be a real human being with desires, relationships, and realism. You just see as an object. When a main character dies that you connect with, it’s powerful and movies use that. If you really think that these fakes death are powerful. You don’t know what makes death what it is and why it’s so terrible. You don’t understand death.
Also stop using that verse that says to focus on what’s good. I am focusing on something entertaining. Something as entertaining as tag. And blood doesn’t make it bad. It is a good form of entertainment and that’s all it is. It doesn’t include death because that isn’t death. It is a mere competition of winning and losing.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88259

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3941
  • Thank you received: 3133
Question: Where does your standard of right and wrong, good and evil, come from?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88260

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
Quirky wrote:
Question: Where does your standard of right and wrong, good and evil, come from?
God.

Is that what you meant when you asked that?
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88281

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3941
  • Thank you received: 3133
@Snitro, Yeah that's what I meant.

I'm just asking because I want to know how you came to the conclusion that watching or playing things that have blood and gore aren't bad, that Jesus doesn't mind you partaking in those things because they are only for entertainment.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Quirky.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, horsegirl04

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88283

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1140
  • Thank you received: 430
it's not the Blood, if you are just watching/playing game and movies that have Violence and Gore in it, just beca.se because it thrills you, I would not consider that good. But if the Violence is being used to tell a message, then it just depends of what kind of message it is portraying.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not good either.

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88287

  • jGod8865
  • jGod8865's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Pollo y Papa Frita Philippians 4:13-
  • Posts: 636
  • Thank you received: 209
If you don't like blood, violence, and gore than don't watch the Kingsman series. The movie is filled with it. But it is a good movie.


Philippians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88290

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
horsegirl04 wrote:
it's not the Blood, if you are just watching/playing game and movies that have Violence and Gore in it, just beca.se because it thrills you, I would not consider that good. But if the Violence is being used to tell a message, then it just depends of what kind of message it is portraying.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not good either.
Of course anything with a bad message is bad and not worthy of support but I wouldn’t say Call of Duty has a good or bad message. It’s just fake violence. I don’t understand what’s wrong with fake violence and gore that has nothing to it? I’ve already described on how it takes away the meaning of violence and gore and left it as a use of competitiveness. I’ve give evidence and all you say is that it isn’t good. I’m making an assumption, which means that it could be wrong, but it may be because you are used to the tradition of many other Christians which includes the hating on something that doesn’t matter. A reply like that only further suggests to me that you don’t really have an argument. You just feel that way because it’s the way you were grown up. Parents can have a great impact and I remember promising my parents I would never watch a rated R movie, blinded of the fact that this type of violence and gore has no place in my mind.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88292

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1140
  • Thank you received: 430
SRNitro wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
it's not the Blood, if you are just watching/playing game and movies that have Violence and Gore in it, just beca.se because it thrills you, I would not consider that good. But if the Violence is being used to tell a message, then it just depends of what kind of message it is portraying.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not good either.
Of course anything with a bad message is bad and not worthy of support but I wouldn’t say Call of Duty has a good or bad message. It’s just fake violence. I don’t understand what’s wrong with fake violence and gore that has nothing to it? I’ve already described on how it takes away the meaning of violence and gore and left it as a use of competitiveness. I’ve give evidence and all you say is that it isn’t good. I’m making an assumption, which means that it could be wrong, but it may be because you are used to the tradition of many other Christians which includes the hating on something that doesn’t matter. A reply like that only further suggests to me that you don’t really have an argument. You just feel that way because it’s the way you were grown up. Parents can have a great impact and I remember promising my parents I would never watch a rated R movie, blinded of the fact that this type of violence and gore has no place in my mind.
It is just my point of view, something that you might think is okay I would never watch, or the other way around.

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SRNitro

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88293

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3941
  • Thank you received: 3133
@Snitro

How do you know that the those kinds of movies and things aren't affecting your mind on a deeper level than you are aware? What if its desensitizing you to the enormity of sin?

"As they witnessed in drooping flower and falling leaf the first signs of decay, Adam and his companion mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The death of the frail, delicate flowers was indeed a cause of sorrow; but when the goodly trees cast off their leaves, the scene brought vividly to mind the stern fact that death is the portion of every living thing. PP 62.1

I put this quote here to show how seeing death affected our first parents. They mourned the death of a flower more deeply than we now mourn our own dead! What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, horsegirl04

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88326

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
horsegirl04 wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
it's not the Blood, if you are just watching/playing game and movies that have Violence and Gore in it, just beca.se because it thrills you, I would not consider that good. But if the Violence is being used to tell a message, then it just depends of what kind of message it is portraying.
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not good either.
Of course anything with a bad message is bad and not worthy of support but I wouldn’t say Call of Duty has a good or bad message. It’s just fake violence. I don’t understand what’s wrong with fake violence and gore that has nothing to it? I’ve already described on how it takes away the meaning of violence and gore and left it as a use of competitiveness. I’ve give evidence and all you say is that it isn’t good. I’m making an assumption, which means that it could be wrong, but it may be because you are used to the tradition of many other Christians which includes the hating on something that doesn’t matter. A reply like that only further suggests to me that you don’t really have an argument. You just feel that way because it’s the way you were grown up. Parents can have a great impact and I remember promising my parents I would never watch a rated R movie, blinded of the fact that this type of violence and gore has no place in my mind.
It is just my point of view, something that you might think is okay I would never watch, or the other way around.
Alright then. I respect your decision to not give reasoning. I get it. Sometimes you just believe what you believe.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88327

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro

How do you know that the those kinds of movies and things aren't affecting your mind on a deeper level than you are aware? What if its desensitizing you to the enormity of sin?

"As they witnessed in drooping flower and falling leaf the first signs of decay, Adam and his companion mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The death of the frail, delicate flowers was indeed a cause of sorrow; but when the goodly trees cast off their leaves, the scene brought vividly to mind the stern fact that death is the portion of every living thing. PP 62.1

I put this quote here to show how seeing death affected our first parents. They mourned the death of a flower more deeply than we now mourn our own dead! What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?
It’s not desensitizing me at all? You think that because I see physical abuse in a videogame, that I would want to do it? I could argue the opposite. That makes no sense and it doesn’t desensitize me. Also the first question can’t be answered because of course there COULD be something that I’m not aware of but couldn’t any point of view be wrong because of something not known? From everything known, blood and violence in movies or videogames do nothing wrong.
If we mourned every single death in our world how terrible would are world be? Of course it was terrible for them because it was the first time seeing it. I don’t mourn and care about every single death caused by hurricanes because if I did I would live a life of depression. That’s totally irellevant and has nothing to do with video games. It’s obviously because people want to live their lives without having to cry every second because a a new person dies every few seconds. Are you serious? Is that the ideal world you want? Is that the ideal person?
“What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?”
God used David to kill Goliath. God used Israel’s army. Death in itself isn’t important. It’s the end that’s important. It’s the end of lives. Whatever you kill isn’t a life. That is nothing. It’s a facade. Jesus would approve it for reasons listed already.

Violence and gore in videogames and movies doesn’t desensitize anybody. It only strengthens the sense of what real pain is. Real pain is knowing somebody and having a connection with somebody and then seeing them go. Quirky don’t lie to me. I know you have heard of deaths and you didn’t really care. That’s because after all the sin in the world it is normal. Jesus doesn’t want you to be depressed everytime you hear about a strangers’ death. That would be terrible. That would be a terrible life to live. When we see someone die in a game, we know it isn’t a real life which is what death is all about. Without the life part it’s gone. It’s just entertainment. Don’t tell me you’ve never joked about death... EVER. You’ve never said something like, “You’d die if you did that!” and then laugh. You’ve never laughed at a joke like that? I really doubt that. Death matters when it has context, without it, it’s nothing. That’s the reality.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88352

SRNitro wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro

How do you know that the those kinds of movies and things aren't affecting your mind on a deeper level than you are aware? What if its desensitizing you to the enormity of sin?

"As they witnessed in drooping flower and falling leaf the first signs of decay, Adam and his companion mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The death of the frail, delicate flowers was indeed a cause of sorrow; but when the goodly trees cast off their leaves, the scene brought vividly to mind the stern fact that death is the portion of every living thing. PP 62.1

I put this quote here to show how seeing death affected our first parents. They mourned the death of a flower more deeply than we now mourn our own dead! What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?
It’s not desensitizing me at all? You think that because I see physical abuse in a videogame, that I would want to do it? I could argue the opposite. That makes no sense and it doesn’t desensitize me. Also the first question can’t be answered because of course there COULD be something that I’m not aware of but couldn’t any point of view be wrong because of something not known? From everything known, blood and violence in movies or videogames do nothing wrong.
If we mourned every single death in our world how terrible would are world be? Of course it was terrible for them because it was the first time seeing it. I don’t mourn and care about every single death caused by hurricanes because if I did I would live a life of depression. That’s totally irellevant and has nothing to do with video games. It’s obviously because people want to live their lives without having to cry every second because a a new person dies every few seconds. Are you serious? Is that the ideal world you want? Is that the ideal person?
“What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?”
God used David to kill Goliath. God used Israel’s army. Death in itself isn’t important. It’s the end that’s important. It’s the end of lives. Whatever you kill isn’t a life. That is nothing. It’s a facade. Jesus would approve it for reasons listed already.

Violence and gore in videogames and movies doesn’t desensitize anybody. It only strengthens the sense of what real pain is. Real pain is knowing somebody and having a connection with somebody and then seeing them go. Quirky don’t lie to me. I know you have heard of deaths and you didn’t really care. That’s because after all the sin in the world it is normal. Jesus doesn’t want you to be depressed everytime you hear about a strangers’ death. That would be terrible. That would be a terrible life to live. When we see someone die in a game, we know it isn’t a real life which is what death is all about. Without the life part it’s gone. It’s just entertainment. Don’t tell me you’ve never joked about death... EVER. You’ve never said something like, “You’d die if you did that!” and then laugh. You’ve never laughed at a joke like that? I really doubt that. Death matters when it has context, without it, it’s nothing. That’s the reality.
Tbh, I would suggest praying about it. I'm not going to say that I've never played a video game that has killing in it, and I'm not going to say that I've never made a joke about death. You should just pray about it. Everyone has their own personal convictions :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88371

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
LolingforJesus wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro

How do you know that the those kinds of movies and things aren't affecting your mind on a deeper level than you are aware? What if its desensitizing you to the enormity of sin?

"As they witnessed in drooping flower and falling leaf the first signs of decay, Adam and his companion mourned more deeply than men now mourn over their dead. The death of the frail, delicate flowers was indeed a cause of sorrow; but when the goodly trees cast off their leaves, the scene brought vividly to mind the stern fact that death is the portion of every living thing. PP 62.1

I put this quote here to show how seeing death affected our first parents. They mourned the death of a flower more deeply than we now mourn our own dead! What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?
It’s not desensitizing me at all? You think that because I see physical abuse in a videogame, that I would want to do it? I could argue the opposite. That makes no sense and it doesn’t desensitize me. Also the first question can’t be answered because of course there COULD be something that I’m not aware of but couldn’t any point of view be wrong because of something not known? From everything known, blood and violence in movies or videogames do nothing wrong.
If we mourned every single death in our world how terrible would are world be? Of course it was terrible for them because it was the first time seeing it. I don’t mourn and care about every single death caused by hurricanes because if I did I would live a life of depression. That’s totally irellevant and has nothing to do with video games. It’s obviously because people want to live their lives without having to cry every second because a a new person dies every few seconds. Are you serious? Is that the ideal world you want? Is that the ideal person?
“What could death represent but that sin is present and ready to destroy? How are we to use a byproduct of sin to entertain ourselves, and how can Christ approve of that?”
God used David to kill Goliath. God used Israel’s army. Death in itself isn’t important. It’s the end that’s important. It’s the end of lives. Whatever you kill isn’t a life. That is nothing. It’s a facade. Jesus would approve it for reasons listed already.

Violence and gore in videogames and movies doesn’t desensitize anybody. It only strengthens the sense of what real pain is. Real pain is knowing somebody and having a connection with somebody and then seeing them go. Quirky don’t lie to me. I know you have heard of deaths and you didn’t really care. That’s because after all the sin in the world it is normal. Jesus doesn’t want you to be depressed everytime you hear about a strangers’ death. That would be terrible. That would be a terrible life to live. When we see someone die in a game, we know it isn’t a real life which is what death is all about. Without the life part it’s gone. It’s just entertainment. Don’t tell me you’ve never joked about death... EVER. You’ve never said something like, “You’d die if you did that!” and then laugh. You’ve never laughed at a joke like that? I really doubt that. Death matters when it has context, without it, it’s nothing. That’s the reality.
Tbh, I would suggest praying about it. I'm not going to say that I've never played a video game that has killing in it, and I'm not going to say that I've never made a joke about death. You should just pray about it. Everyone has their own personal convictions :)
I don't think that it's wrong to make a joke about death. I just think if that's your mindset then you don't know how terrible and ugly comedy is. It's all based, usually, based off of something sad. That's what comedy is turning something sad into something funny. My point isn't that "Oh well you do other bad things so you can do this one bad thing!" That's not my point. My point is if you have that mentality that ANYTHING with death is bad automatically, then there are so many holes with that idea.

"You should just pray about it. Everyone has their own personal convictions :)"
I think this is obvious. We should all pray about our opinions. Thanks for the reminder though. Also I would not include personal convictions into an argument. Facts > Feelings
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88385

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3941
  • Thank you received: 3133
@Snitro, I won't lie to you. I have made jokes about death (and often times I feel kinda bad after I make a joke like that). I'm not claiming to be perfect or anything. I guess my main concern is this: You say that Jesus wouldn't mind us taking part in the stuff that we're talking about right now, but where is your basis for that assumption. Does it come from the Word of God? That was why I asked the question earlier about what you base your standards on. If God is your standard, or the one that you base your standards on, where does He say that partaking of violence and gore for entertainment is acceptable?

And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them.

Those are just my thoughts. Thanks for challenging my way of thinking! :cheer:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88390

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro, I won't lie to you. I have made jokes about death (and often times I feel kinda bad after I make a joke like that). I'm not claiming to be perfect or anything. I guess my main concern is this: You say that Jesus wouldn't mind us taking part in the stuff that we're talking about right now, but where is your basis for that assumption. Does it come from the Word of God? That was why I asked the question earlier about what you base your standards on. If God is your standard, or the one that you base your standards on, where does He say that partaking of violence and gore for entertainment is acceptable?

And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them.

Those are just my thoughts. Thanks for challenging my way of thinking! :cheer:

I am going to say that in the Bible it doesn't say that you can watch murder or play murder. But, at the same time it never references to not watching it or relating to it. I believe God doesn't care about how much blood there is in something. Where does God say that he hates people watching or playing fake death?

"And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them."

I think we should love Jesus whether or not the world is suffering. I think we should give whether or not people are suffering and dying.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88401

  • Allison C
  • Allison C's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • To know him is life.
  • Posts: 285
  • Thank you received: 184
SRNitro wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro, I won't lie to you. I have made jokes about death (and often times I feel kinda bad after I make a joke like that). I'm not claiming to be perfect or anything. I guess my main concern is this: You say that Jesus wouldn't mind us taking part in the stuff that we're talking about right now, but where is your basis for that assumption. Does it come from the Word of God? That was why I asked the question earlier about what you base your standards on. If God is your standard, or the one that you base your standards on, where does He say that partaking of violence and gore for entertainment is acceptable?

And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them.

Those are just my thoughts. Thanks for challenging my way of thinking! :cheer:

I am going to say that in the Bible it doesn't say that you can watch murder or play murder. But, at the same time it never references to not watching it or relating to it. I believe God doesn't care about how much blood there is in something. Where does God say that he hates people watching or playing fake death?

"And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them."

I think we should love Jesus whether or not the world is suffering. I think we should give whether or not people are suffering and dying.

Oh boy. If you don't think the bible makes no reference not to watch or relate to death, you've got another thing coming. Just take a look at Psalms 101:3: "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."
Sure, the commandments may not say that you can't watch something like that. But, if you study it out and think about it, all those commandments go right to the heart of everything. For instance, the 8th commandment isn't just talking about cheating on your wife. It references every kind of sexual sin. Same with the others.
And plus, by beholding you become changed. Would you want Jesus to look over your shoulder while you do those games? Even better (or worse!), would he actually sit down and play them with you?
And even so, you become desensitized after while. It's not the blood SRNitro. Blood is vital to life. I plan on being a nurse, so I know I'll encounter a lot of blood. Blood isn't the issue. Point is, why, would you even "play kill" someone on a video game screen?! WHY!? It's a human life that it's representing! What is even the point?! The bible (either that or E.G White) tells us that when we watch a wrongful act being committed, we are partaking in that person's (or those people's) sin(s).
Would you be doing those video games in heaven? Or something even remotely like that? I honestly don't think so.
To know Him is life.
To see him is Faith.
To feel Him is mercy.
To touch him is grace.

To be near him is love.
He's your light in the dark.
Your life will be beautiful
When he's near your heart.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88407

  • Quirky
  • Quirky's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Posts: 3941
  • Thank you received: 3133
@Snitro, of course we should love God and give to others and all of that awesome stuff regardless of the state that our world is in. My point was that we shouldnt become hardened to human suffering just because its something that we can't stop.

Oh wait. Was that an argument or were you just stating something?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88478

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
Allison C wrote:
SRNitro wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro, I won't lie to you. I have made jokes about death (and often times I feel kinda bad after I make a joke like that). I'm not claiming to be perfect or anything. I guess my main concern is this: You say that Jesus wouldn't mind us taking part in the stuff that we're talking about right now, but where is your basis for that assumption. Does it come from the Word of God? That was why I asked the question earlier about what you base your standards on. If God is your standard, or the one that you base your standards on, where does He say that partaking of violence and gore for entertainment is acceptable?

And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them.

Those are just my thoughts. Thanks for challenging my way of thinking! :cheer:

I am going to say that in the Bible it doesn't say that you can watch murder or play murder. But, at the same time it never references to not watching it or relating to it. I believe God doesn't care about how much blood there is in something. Where does God say that he hates people watching or playing fake death?

"And I understand what you mean when you say that we can't focus on people dying and how awful death is all the time. I agree that it would lead to a pretty depressing life. But I don't think that we should be hardened to that fact that people are suffering and dying everyday, or get use to just watching it happen without having any sympathy for them."

I think we should love Jesus whether or not the world is suffering. I think we should give whether or not people are suffering and dying.

Oh boy. If you don't think the bible makes no reference not to watch or relate to death, you've got another thing coming. Just take a look at Psalms 101:3: "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."
Sure, the commandments may not say that you can't watch something like that. But, if you study it out and think about it, all those commandments go right to the heart of everything. For instance, the 8th commandment isn't just talking about cheating on your wife. It references every kind of sexual sin. Same with the others.
And plus, by beholding you become changed. Would you want Jesus to look over your shoulder while you do those games? Even better (or worse!), would he actually sit down and play them with you?
And even so, you become desensitized after while. It's not the blood SRNitro. Blood is vital to life. I plan on being a nurse, so I know I'll encounter a lot of blood. Blood isn't the issue. Point is, why, would you even "play kill" someone on a video game screen?! WHY!? It's a human life that it's representing! What is even the point?! The bible (either that or E.G White) tells us that when we watch a wrongful act being committed, we are partaking in that person's (or those people's) sin(s).
Would you be doing those video games in heaven? Or something even remotely like that? I honestly don't think so.

'Just take a look at Psalms 101:3: "I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."'
Looking at fake death isn't wicked. Fake death isn't wicked, it's a form of entertaining competition.

"But, if you study it out and think about it, all those commandments go right to the heart of everything. For instance, the 8th commandment isn't just talking about cheating on your wife. It references every kind of sexual sin. Same with the others.
And plus, by beholding you become changed."

Yes the Bible, when it said do not set wicked things on your eyes, it meant do not look at women as sexual objects, especially if you're married or the women is married. Yes, this can be real death. If you are sitting and watching real death there is something wrong. That's an ACTUAL abrupt death to a REAL life with DESIRES, RELATIONSHIPS, and ACTUAL BODIES. Without it death is nothing. Nobody has proved me wrong about that point yet. It's really annoying. Please at least tackle the idea that life without desires or relationships is not a life.

"Would you want Jesus to look over your shoulder while you do those games? Even better (or worse!), would he actually sit down and play them with you?"

Jesus would play them because he realizes they're not real lives and it's all competitive. He's not going to be thinking on how I'm getting desensitized because I'm not. Violent video games only further the idea that life, without desires and relationships, is nothing, which is a good lesson.

"And even so, you become desensitized after while. It's not the blood SRNitro. Blood is vital to life. I plan on being a nurse, so I know I'll encounter a lot of blood. Blood isn't the issue. Point is, why, would you even "play kill" someone on a video game screen?! WHY!? It's a human life that it's representing! What is even the point?!"

When you play Mario, if he falls off the earth he dies. When you play almost any video game, someone dies. THAT'S NOT A HUMAN LIFE THAT IT IS REPRESENTING! It is representing the end of something that doesn't matter. The point is for competitive fun nature! If I told you tag was a waste of time and what was the point of playing tag when you can study, you would say that's fun right?! That's because IT'S JUST MINDLESS INNOCENT FUN.

"The bible (either that or E.G White) tells us that when we watch a wrongful act being committed, we are partaking in that person's (or those people's) sin(s)."

Where does that say that? The only place I could see that is 1 Timothy 5:22 which is "Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure." This implies that you shouldn't be committing sins or giving consent to these sins. But I don't get it because watching fake violence isn't a sin.

"Would you be doing those video games in heaven? Or something even remotely like that? I honestly don't think so."

Honestly, I don't think so. I don't think it will be needed. I think in that world there will be no death. Because of that competitiveness will kind of become gone in human nature. But that is just my theory and I can't say exactly what will happen. All I know is that Jesus has nothing wrong with competitiveness and has no care for a fake death that means nothing.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88481

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
Quirky wrote:
@Snitro, of course we should love God and give to others and all of that awesome stuff regardless of the state that our world is in. My point was that we shouldnt become hardened to human suffering just because its something that we can't stop.

Oh wait. Was that an argument or were you just stating something?

First of all, I actually don't believe video games and movies desensitize us anyway. Second of all, that argument was just made to show that even if it did desensitize us, we would only be desensitized to deaths that we couldn't do anything about or of people we never knew. When I went to my grandma's funeral, even though I knew her a little, I didn't cry or feel bad. It's not because I'm a bad person, but it's because I didn't know her. I am glad because she was a good Christian and I moved on.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88536

  • nadcombo
  • nadcombo's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 197
  • Thank you received: 50
the way I put it is, its code. words. it ain't real. it has no physical form. for all intensive purposes- it's electricity. so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine. to a point. also, like I said, I've been playing shooters for years. I've never wanted to go and shoot someone, nor have I been desensitized to death. in fact, I am more aware of death and what it is. so to summarize, it isn't real, get over it. There are also more than just shooters. Ive racked almost 250hrs in farming sim 17, and still going. forza series, I've started playing Dirt rally, simple planes, well over 100hrs in spintires 100+hrs in beam ng drive, thousands of hours in Minecraft, 40 some odd hours in train sim, and more. so classifying gaming as bad as a whole, is wrong.
COUNTRY'S GOOD OK!!! IF YA DONT BELIVE ME?! listen to three wooden crosses, and what ifs, and drunk on you, and forever country. THATS MY opinion...

results may very......
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88542

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
nadcombo wrote:
the way I put it is, its code. words. it ain't real. it has no physical form. for all intensive purposes- it's electricity. so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine. to a point. also, like I said, I've been playing shooters for years. I've never wanted to go and shoot someone, nor have I been desensitized to death. in fact, I am more aware of death and what it is. so to summarize, it isn't real, get over it. There are also more than just shooters. Ive racked almost 250hrs in farming sim 17, and still going. forza series, I've started playing Dirt rally, simple planes, well over 100hrs in spintires 100+hrs in beam ng drive, thousands of hours in Minecraft, 40 some odd hours in train sim, and more. so classifying gaming as bad as a whole, is wrong.

"so as long as your not playing something like Doom or Wolfenstein, its fine."

Wait what? With this one statement you totally contradict yourself. Doom and Wolfenstein are totally fine games to play.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88561

  • SirGeneralCliche
  • SirGeneralCliche's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Posts: 720
  • Thank you received: 564
SRNitro, there are studies that suggest that video games are desensitizing. There are also studies that say that they aren’t. I imagine you’ve probably looked at both sides, so how did you decide which studies were accurate?
(Not challenging you; I would’ve asked you this question regardless of your position.)
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88588

Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88611

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
SRNitro, there are studies that suggest that video games are desensitizing. There are also studies that say that they aren’t. I imagine you’ve probably looked at both sides, so how did you decide which studies were accurate?
(Not challenging you; I would’ve asked you this question regardless of your position.)

Well then why not ask the others also? Honestly I don’t know. All I know is from personal experience and there’s nothing wrong with desensitization. The most wonderful and nicest people I know play violent videogames. I don’t think it has anything to do with that at all. I’ve searched it up and some studies show that violent videogames do desensitize us and some do vise versa. It’s all from personal experience from me.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Violence and Gore in Movies/Video Games 1 month 1 week ago #88612

  • SRNitro
  • SRNitro's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Posts: 735
  • Thank you received: 481
LolingforJesus wrote:
Hmm... I was pretty confused what this was about at first, but now I got what it's about.
I would say, look, SRNitro is not an Adventist, and I feel like these are more SDA beliefs. But, I think you should personally pray about it. Maybe it won't affect you, maybe it will. Idk, that's the best I've got lol.
Hope this helps....
sorta?
They’re not SDA only beliefs. Many Christians believe that violent videogames harm our youth.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: jreteenmom
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds