• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Thank you received: 430
LolingforJesus wrote:
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
bush possum wrote:
@SirGeneralCliche
We read this as part of our family worship this morning, and I think this is perfect in response to your question about reading any fiction at all :)

The Lord has shown me the danger of letting our minds be filled with worldly thoughts and cares. I saw that some minds are led away from present truth and a love of the Holy Bible by reading other exciting books; others are filled with perplexity and care for what they shall eat, drink, and wear. Some are looking too far off for the coming of the Lord. Time has continued a few years longer than they expected; therefore they think it may continue a few years more, and in this way their minds are being led from present truth, out after the world. In these things I saw great danger; for if the mind is filled with other things, present truth is shut out, and there is no place in our foreheads for the seal of the living God. I saw that the time for Jesus to be in the most holy place was nearly finished and that time can last but a very little longer. What leisure time we have should be spent in searching the Bible, which is to judge us in the last day. – {EW 58.1}
Sooo no fiction
Honestly, let's think about it. Fiction isn't evil, it depends on (1) what kind of fiction it is (2) and how much of your time it is taking up. The parables Jesus told were fiction, and were common stories in that time. If it is such a big part of your life that you won't do your homework, read your Bible, or spend time with family, it's time to take a break.

Everything can be put into balance, in my opinion, hope this helps :cheer:

The same thing could happen with non-fiction

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blue Tornado, LolingforJesus

Anime 1 month 4 weeks ago #87359

• SirGeneralCliche
  • Ima just a regular guy...
  • Thank you received: 564
Quirky wrote:
SirGeneralCliche wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Sir, well, lets think about it. How much sin will God allow into heaven? If we know that something is wrong, would it be wise to continue to partake in it?

James 4:17
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

I'm speaking to myself more than anyone. But, to answer your question, I do think that we should get to the point where we don't rely on fiction for entertainment. God has brought me a loooooong way in this area, and I still have more to overcome.

....Idk what else to say soooo...I'm done. I hope that makes sense.
I don’t want to misinterpret you here; are you implying that fiction is sinful?

I'm saying that fiction can have the effect of drawing ones mind from heavenly things and pulling them down to earthly things. When I finished reading fiction books, even ones with good Christian morals, I wasn't inclined to go and study my bible because it wasn't as exciting as the story that I just read. I believe that anything that separates or distracts from God could be considered sinful, seeing that God said not to have any other gods before Him.

I hope that I'm not being too evasive in my answer. All I know is that I have been convicted that reading fiction harms my personal relationship with God, so, slowly by surely, it is being expelled from my life.
I think I get what you’re saying. In your personal experience, reading(and I assume watching) fiction has been an obstacle for you, so you chose to get rid of it completely.
I’d still like to know what your opinion is on fictional stories in general, not just specifically to yourself. (As in: is it definitely good, definitely bad, or does it depend on the person?)
All rules have exceptions, including this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, LolingforJesus

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87501

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 3133
@Sir

Oh okay, I see what you mean.

My definite answer to reading/watching fiction is this: we should abstain from it as much as possible.

There is one fiction book that I do think is very beneficial for us to read, and that is supported by Sister White.

"Again, as in apostolic days, persecution turned out to the furtherance of the gospel. In a loathsome dungeon crowded with profligates and felons, John Bunyan breathed the very atmosphere of heaven; and there he wrote his wonderful allegory of the pilgrim’s journey from the land of destruction to the celestial city. For over two hundred years that voice from Bedford jail has spoken with thrilling power to the hearts of men. Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress and Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners have guided many feet into the path of life." GC 252.2

This story is extremely thought provoking and kind of personifies the Christian walk.

Does that answer your question? :cheer:

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87508

Quirky wrote:
@Sir

My definite answer to reading/watching fiction is this: we should abstain from it as much as possible.

There is one fiction book that I do think is very beneficial for us to read, and that is supported by Sister White.

"Again, as in apostolic days, persecution turned out to the furtherance of the gospel. In a loathsome dungeon crowded with profligates and felons, John Bunyan breathed the very atmosphere of heaven; and there he wrote his wonderful allegory of the pilgrim’s journey from the land of destruction to the celestial city. For over two hundred years that voice from Bedford jail has spoken with thrilling power to the hearts of men. Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress and Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners have guided many feet into the path of life." GC 252.2

This story is extremely thought provoking and kind of personifies the Christian walk.

woah - are u saying no fiction???

:dry: the Parables Jesus told were fiction

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87526

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
LolingforJesus wrote:
Quirky wrote:
@Sir

woah - are u saying no fiction???

:dry: the Parables Jesus told were fiction

I think that it would help to go back and read the quotes that were posted in regards to fiction. There's a standard here: if its distracting you from God or spoiling your taste for heavenly things, don't do it. The parables of Jesus were used to present heavenly things in a way that we mortals can understand. They didn't distract the mind from God, but caused those being taught by Christ to remember the lessons that he taught whenever they saw the objects of His lessons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LolingforJesus

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87685

• Allison C
  • NOW ONLINE
  • To know him is life.
  • Thank you received: 184
Billmon wrote:
My mom says animals is devilish but I still watch it please give advice weather I should stop or keep on. I'LL provide more details sorry I'm in a rush

Let me just say this. I got myself into a big ditch with anime. I wasn't supposed to be (in my case it was anime computer games) doing it. I had a really bad experience with it, and I would tell you guys but I'm quite sure many of you won't believe me. It happened. It's true.
Honestly, is it the most productive thing to do with your time? yes, it may be ok (and I'm suggesting a really large maybe), but could you be doing something more productive? Think about that.
To know Him is life.
To see him is Faith.
To feel Him is mercy.
To touch him is grace.

To be near him is love.
He's your light in the dark.
Your life will be beautiful
When he's near your heart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87687

I'm currently learning how to draw manga so that I may make manga gospel tracts. Is that acceptable? Because I saw the Chick tract website, and it appeared that their Japanese tracts will not attract (pun not intended) the youth to read them.

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87692

ComeLetUsReason wrote:
I'm currently learning how to draw manga so that I may make manga gospel tracts. Is that acceptable? Because I saw the Chick tract website, and it appeared that their Japanese tracts will not attract (pun not intended) the youth to read them.
*still cant move on from the pun* :P

Anime 1 month 3 weeks ago #87694

• Allison C
  • NOW ONLINE
  • To know him is life.
ComeLetUsReason wrote:

That I think would probably be okay since you're doing to reach people for God. The main thing with anime is that most of the time, it has very very bad purposes and things. Idk how else to say that.... but yeah. I think it would be okay. Anyone else wanna... comment?
To know Him is life.
To see him is Faith.
To feel Him is mercy.
To touch him is grace.

To be near him is love.

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #87967

• TravelPastel
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Thank you received: 615
Since there was a topic of blasphemy on here earlier... Would you call this blasphemy?
I mean I would, but I just want your opinion. I saw my friend was reading it and I got kinda worried for her...
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #87974

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
Would we call what blasphemy?

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #87983

• Allison C
  • NOW ONLINE
  • To know him is life.
Quirky wrote:
Would we call what blasphemy?

If manga tracts were written for helping get the gospel out to people. Idk. In some ways it's kind of like the internet. A lot of bad stuff is on the web. But does that mean it's sacrilegious to use the web to reach people for God? I don't think so. Manga/Anime seems kind of the same way to me. As long as you aren't making light of it. Iw would honestly pray about it and see if God is impressing on you to do it.
To know Him is life.
To see him is Faith.
To feel Him is mercy.
To touch him is grace.

To be near him is love.

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #87993

• LEMONwizard
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I trust God. Do you?
  • Thank you received: 130
My BFF loves anime, and showed me some, so I started liking this one thing but my mom misunderstood the story and completely overreacted from a misunderstanding, told my dad, and now I'm not allowed to have anime.
TRUST GOD with EVERYTHING because GOD HOLDS EVERYTHING and HE WON'T LET GO

#StvernoIsAFemale #IAmAFemaleToo #FemaleHashtagMovement
When Emmy01 can't, I will fight for the pencil.
INFP, -A/-T (mediator) according to 16personalities.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: maplesyruphotel9

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88006

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
Its still not theeerrre :P

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88008

• TravelPastel
Quirky wrote:
Its still not theeerrre :P
Hnnng okei.

pls work this time

So is this blasphemy? (See previous post for full commentary/rant thing idk)
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88009

• TravelPastel
TravelPastel wrote:
Since there was a topic of blasphemy on here earlier... Would you call this blasphemy?
I mean I would, but I just want your opinion. I saw my friend was reading it and I got kinda worried for her...
If it doesn't work, i'm posting a link -_-
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88011

• jGod8865
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Pollo y Papa Frita Philippians 4:13-
  • Thank you received: 209
I like chicken :|

Philippians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88012

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
TravelPastel wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
If it doesn't work, i'm posting a link -_-

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88018

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
It didn't work

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88022

• TravelPastel
*Inhales sharply with annoyance* Okay. Posting a link cause it wont post the screenshot xD
Since there was a topic of blasphemy on here earlier... Would you call this blasphemy? Here's a link to the screenshot I took.
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88027

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
Um... ok... wow.

Just looked at the screenshot....

I'm kinda mad :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LolingforJesus, TravelPastel

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88031

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
wow

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88032

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
I'm kinda mad too

The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, LolingforJesus, TravelPastel

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88034

• jGod8865
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Pollo y Papa Frita Philippians 4:13-
  • Thank you received: 209
TravelPastel wrote:
*Inhales sharply with annoyance* Okay. Posting a link cause it wont post the screenshot xD
Since there was a topic of blasphemy on here earlier... Would you call this blasphemy? Here's a link to the screenshot I took.

That's just triggering!!!

And yes it is no it's not blasphemy, because blasphemy means you are claiming to be God. But it is disrespectful towards God.

Philippians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, LolingforJesus, TravelPastel, pathfinder4ever

Anime 1 month 2 weeks ago #88035

• LEMONwizard
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I trust God. Do you?
  • Thank you received: 130
jGod8865 wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:

That's just triggering!!!

And yes it is no it's not blasphemy, because blasphemy means you are claiming to be God. But it is disrespectful towards God.
Yes it is
TRUST GOD with EVERYTHING because GOD HOLDS EVERYTHING and HE WON'T LET GO

#StvernoIsAFemale #IAmAFemaleToo #FemaleHashtagMovement
When Emmy01 can't, I will fight for the pencil.
INFP, -A/-T (mediator) according to 16personalities.com
Moderators: jreteenmom
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds