Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Prayer & Fast

Prayer & Fast 5 years 8 months ago #2393

• BerryGirl13
  • My favorite color is pink, I like baking & drawing
  • Thank you received: 441
Dear Dr. C,

What's your opinion on kids(under the age of 12)fasting? :huh: Is it unnecessary? Why is it so important? What does it actually mean to fast from food? Can we fast from something besides food, like a guilty pleasure? :dry:
"I would rather be a sorrowful christian than a jolly fool."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Prayer & Fast 5 years 8 months ago #2465

• jreteenmom
  • Thank you received: 338
BerryGirl13,

First, I am not a medical doctor so I cannot tell you whether it is physically safe for you to fast. Check with your family doctor about that.

From a spiritual perspective, fasting is usually associated with prayer. There are Biblical examples where people were encouraged to fast and pray to draw closer to God and to access His power. (For example, see Matthew 17:20-22.) The idea, as I understand it, is that when you do not eat for some period of time you can concentrate more of your time and attention on God.

There is NOTHING that says Christians MUST fast. It's simply one way to enhance spiritual connection.

But as I mentioned above, I do not know if it is safe for children to fast in the sense of skipping food.

So, your idea of "fasting" from something else may be a good one. For example, I know someone who "fasted" from sweets for a week as she enhanced her prayer time. But it could be a decision not to engage in a particular activity. In either case, no one should fast because they feel like they have to. It has to be a personal decision to enhance ones spiritual life.

Dr. C
Dr. C
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BerryGirl13
Moderators: jreteenmom
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds