Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 16, 2017)

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 16, 2017) 1 month 6 days ago #88651

• kpeckham
  • Thank you received: 57
The new girl at your school is different. She’s always been homeschooled. Her family doesn’t own a TV. And when a teacher assigns you to find some information on the Internet for homework, the new girl asks if she can go to the library and look it up. “We don’t have the Internet in our home,“ she explains. “We believe it brings in too much garbage that a Christian doesn’t need. Just like TV and videos. We’d rather live a simpler life.“ At lunchtime the new girl sits at your table. One of your friends says, “Are you serious about not having a TV or the Internet? You’re living in the Dark Ages!“

Are you going to get involved in this conversation? Does the new girl have a point? Or do you agree that her family is taking things too far?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 16, 2017) 1 month 5 days ago #88692

well I don't think it's good to be so isolate media, but I would make friends with her. I have friends who are really restricted on media and screentime, and I don't mind

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 16, 2017) 1 month 4 days ago #88761

• SRNitro
  • NOW ONLINE
  • The person above my post is wrong.
  • Thank you received: 481
kpeckham wrote:
The new girl at your school is different. She’s always been homeschooled. Her family doesn’t own a TV. And when a teacher assigns you to find some information on the Internet for homework, the new girl asks if she can go to the library and look it up. “We don’t have the Internet in our home,“ she explains. “We believe it brings in too much garbage that a Christian doesn’t need. Just like TV and videos. We’d rather live a simpler life.“ At lunchtime the new girl sits at your table. One of your friends says, “Are you serious about not having a TV or the Internet? You’re living in the Dark Ages!“

Are you going to get involved in this conversation? Does the new girl have a point? Or do you agree that her family is taking things too far?

Well it depends on how the girl takes it. If the girl was sitting there insecurely and quietly I would go to her and say, "It's just a joke, that's not a jab at you, don't take it personally." But if she laughs along, hopefully she can understand it's just a joke. What a cliche question this is. Why does everyone think that just because I make fun of the fact that you use technology from the 1900's that I'm making fun of you personally. This question is only for situations in which the girl is extremely insecure and doesn't understand jokes. And then people are like, "Oh man that girl is getting bullied!" She ain't getting bullied.
I am not Adventist. I mostly stay here because it is the only forum on the internet where I know other people and people know me. It’s kind of like a community and it feels better that way and although I could rather talk to people with the same humor as I have, I have a connection with you ppl

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 16, 2017) 1 month 3 days ago #88819

A good question. The internet does have a lot of filth and junk in it, and so does the television. However, this stuff can be filtered out with certain types of software. The internet, like all neutral things, is not necessarily bad. It could be used for good, and bad, it could be used for merely sharing information and discussing certain topics (as we are doing now) or for searching up useless junk such as sexual images. The new girl's family should learn that the internet is not inherently bad, and that they could use it for good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LolingforJesus

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 16, 2017) 1 month 10 hours ago #88989

SRNitro wrote:
kpeckham wrote:

Well it depends on how the girl takes it. If the girl was sitting there insecurely and quietly I would go to her and say, "It's just a joke, that's not a jab at you, don't take it personally." But if she laughs along, hopefully she can understand it's just a joke. What a cliche question this is. Why does everyone think that just because I make fun of the fact that you use technology from the 1900's that I'm making fun of you personally. This question is only for situations in which the girl is extremely insecure and doesn't understand jokes. And then people are like, "Oh man that girl is getting bullied!" She ain't getting bullied.
I agree you should look at her reaction first
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds