Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 12, 2015)

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 12, 2015) 1 year 10 months ago #53277

• kpeckham
  • Thank you received: 57
The new girl at your school is different. She’s always been homeschooled. Her family doesn’t own a TV. And when a teacher assigns you to find some information on the Internet for homework, the new girl asks if she can go to the library and look it up. “We don’t have the Internet in our home,“ she explains. “We believe it brings in too much garbage that a Christian doesn’t need. Just like TV and videos. We’d rather live a simpler life.“ At lunchtime the new girl sits at your table. One of your friends says, “Are you serious about not having a TV or the Internet? You’re crazy. You’re living in the Dark Ages!“

Are you going to get involved in this conversation? Does the new girl have a point? Or do you agree that her family is taking things too far?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 12, 2015) 1 year 10 months ago #53296

• 12pearlygates
  • I can't live without books. They're my PASSION.
  • Thank you received: 83
kpeckham wrote:
The new girl at your school is different. She’s always been homeschooled. Her family doesn’t own a TV. And when a teacher assigns you to find some information on the Internet for homework, the new girl asks if she can go to the library and look it up. “We don’t have the Internet in our home,“ she explains. “We believe it brings in too much garbage that a Christian doesn’t need. Just like TV and videos. We’d rather live a simpler life.“ At lunchtime the new girl sits at your table. One of your friends says, “Are you serious about not having a TV or the Internet? You’re crazy. You’re living in the Dark Ages!“

Are you going to get involved in this conversation? Does the new girl have a point? Or do you agree that her family is taking things too far?

She does have a point, though I think that internet thing is a little different. It's easy for me to sympathise with her. As for getting involved in the conversation, I'd probably say this; "Hey guys, stop teasing the kid. You probably wouldn't want to be teased if you were her." Then I'd flash her a big smile. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pyrrhic

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 12, 2015) 1 year 10 months ago #53311

• Mp137
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love God, reading, helping, and nature
  • Thank you received: 1941
Homeschoolers are not anymore different than anyone else. And homeschoolers aren't the only people who don't use Internet.

I think her family isn't taking it too far as long as they aren't shoving their views onto others.
... Even if it gets me convicted
I’ll still be on my knees with my hands lifted ...
... If saying I believe is out of line
If I’m judged cause I’m gonna give my life
To show the world the love that fills me
Then I want to be Guilty ...
- Guilty by Newsboys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, Blue Tornado, Pyrrhic

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 12, 2015) 1 year 10 months ago #53466

• Quirky
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2911
i agree with Mp.

Lesson 11: Technology and the Christian (December 12, 2015) 1 year 10 months ago #53495

I don't think being home-schooled has anything to do with not having a TV or internet. I do think that not having internet is a bit over the top. Yes. there are many things on the internet that are inapropriate and should not be seen by anyone, Christian or not. However, as shown in the Real Time lesson, the internet can be used in many good and productive ways. This amazing website is on the internet!! Guide magazine is just one exmaple of a whole host of good things you can find on the internet. Thats not to say that the internet isn't a dangerous place, just to say that not having an internet connection completely may be a little over....

Please reply would love to hear what everyone else thinks on this!! :D :lol: :lol: :) ;) B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 12pearlygates, Mp137
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds