Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Hell/ Lake of Fire

Eternal torment 3 15.8%
Lasts a short time 16 84.2%
Total number of voters: 19 ( mknz12, SirGeneralCliche, sunnyside1, Prov17, bush possum ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Hell

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #89954

Hey guys, I know the church says hell isn't eternally burning, however, I've been doing a lot of Bible study, and something doesn't seem to be adding up. What do you think? Is it eternally burning, or lasts only a short time?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #89957

Maybe if you could explain what's not adding up? Because I like to look at stuff from all angles before I answer a question, and I don't want to answer from my biased point of view. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, Blue Tornado, horsegirl04

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #89959

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

And a few other verses I can't remember.

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #89980

ComeLetUsReason wrote:
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Now maybe this isn't really the answer you were looking for, but I've always seen that verse to mean that the consequence will last forever.
Like for instance, when my dad was younger, him and my uncle would always fight over the controller. After all, whoever had the controller had the power. They began fighting over it again. All of the sudden they heard the footsteps of their dad. He stormed in, grabbed the controller, and smashed it into the wall. The affects were eternal. Is he still throwing that controller over and over again? No.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #89989

• Quirky
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 3191
Here are a few verses that maybe you could use to compare the eternal hell with the temporal one.

2 Thessalonians 1:7-10
[7]And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
[8]In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
[9]Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
[10]When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Malachi 4:1-3
[1]For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up[/u], saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
[2]But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
[3]And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

Romans 6:23
[23]For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (If the wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is eternal life, then why would God give eternal life to those who have rejected His gift, even if that eternal life if spent in a lake of fire?)

Hopefully those will help in your study. :side:

And Idk why that last part is all underlined but I don't feel like fixing it :silly:
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Quirky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: horsegirl04

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #89992

• Blue Tornado
  • I'm an otaku.
  • Thank you received: 895
ComeLetUsReason wrote:

The way I interpret that verse, it says the smoke of their torment, almost implying that the consequence of that end fire will be eternal. And it is, in a way--you'll never live again after being burned in Short Hellâ„¢. And that was wonderfully stated by LolingforJesus.

It also seems kind of cruel of God, to burn those who don't love Him forever. Almost makes you want to serve Him in fear...

"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Animal Jam: Batsey9
Club Penguin: rip
Roblox: BlueTorn
The following user(s) said Thank You: LolingforJesus

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #90020

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Keep calm swim & read on.(and do gymnaststics!)
  • Thank you received: 40
It's neither :whistle:
#StvernoIsAFemale#Pathfinder4EverIsaFemale#LemonwizardIsaFemale #IAmAFemaleToo #FemaleHashtagMovement

4's my number
}""'^^"""{
I know pronounce my self in charge of the pencil until emmy01 returns.
#pathfindersisgreat
SNOW RULES
Happy birthday to all those born in Janurary:*)
I am a Gymnast.

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #90032

• bush possum
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Thank you received: 1215
pathfinder4ever wrote:
Wait, how is it neither? :huh:

@CLUR As LolingForJesus has already said, it is eternal punishment, not eternal punishing. In other words, the consequences last forever, while the fire does not. As BT has said, it would make you serve God in fear if there was an eternal hell.

Y'know, it's just a thought, but what if the verse in Revelation 14:11 (the second part) is talking about the lives of those who worship the beast and his image? In other words, they don't have peace while they live because they cannot have peace apart from God.

Apart from all the verses in the Bible that speak about this subject, there is a quote in the Spirit of Prophecy that says, paraphrased, "All heaven and earth joins in praising God, and there is not one discordant note in the entire universe." How can there be an eternally burning hellfire, where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth, when there will be no discordant note in the entire universe?

Also, God promises to make an end of sin, right? In that case, there can be no eternally burning hellfire, because while it's still burning, there'll be people in there, and they are sinful (they wouldn't be in hell otherwise). Here's the converse of that statement. If there is an eternally burning hellfire, God cannot make an end to sin because there'll always be sinners burning in hell.
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, LolingforJesus

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #90060

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Thank you received: 456
Quirky wrote:
Here are a few verses that maybe you could use to compare the eternal hell with the temporal one.

2 Thessalonians 1:7-10
[7]And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
[8]In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
[9]Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
[10]When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Malachi 4:1-3
[1]For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up[/u], saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
[2]But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
[3]And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

Romans 6:23
[23]For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (If the wages of sin is death, and the gift of God is eternal life, then why would God give eternal life to those who have rejected His gift, even if that eternal life if spent in a lake of fire?)

Hopefully those will help in your study. :side:

And Idk why that last part is all underlined but I don't feel like fixing it :silly:
Like Quirky said, if hell was eternal, then the people who never accepted God would never die, there would always be sin, and the Bible would be wrong.

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum

Hell 1 month 1 week ago #90089

• Quirky
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 3191
bush possum wrote:
pathfinder4ever wrote:

Y'know, it's just a thought, but what if the verse in Revelation 14:11 (the second part) is talking about the lives of those who worship the beast and his image? In other words, they don't have peace while they live because they cannot have peace apart from God.

Thats what I was thinking too, like its talking about the present state of those who receive the mark of the beast. I mean, they're the ones that have to suffer the plagues along with whatever Satan chooses to terrorize them with, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds