Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Anybody read this classic?

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 2 weeks ago #72717

  • mittens92999
  • mittens92999's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Posts: 667
  • Thank you received: 352
Has anybody read Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan? I am in the middle of it and I wanted to know your thoughts and if you have read it. I think it's very clever, that everything is an allegory for our Christian walk.
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.


-15 years old
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravelPastel

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 2 weeks ago #72720

  • the_adorbs
  • the_adorbs's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • infires man
  • Posts: 78
  • Thank you received: 63
I've listened to a segment of it during a road trip (audio book). It sounded really good! As you said, the rhetorical strategies and literary devices that he used were very clever. I've always had it on my to-read list but I've never been able to get to it yet. I know the overall story but I want to get that wholesome experience of reading all the little details.
"my grandma likes me chubby so i keep eating"

click to stalk my reading life
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 2 weeks ago #72724

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 901
  • Thank you received: 615
mittens92999 wrote:
Has anybody read Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan? I am in the middle of it and I wanted to know your thoughts and if you have read it. I think it's very clever, that everything is an allegory for our Christian walk.

I watched the movie and it was AMAZING! It was so capturing, and yes, I think it is an almost perfect allegory for the Christian walk. I highly recommend you guys to watch it, and read the book too!
Keep reading mittens! I know you'll enjoy it ;)
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72741

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1146
  • Thank you received: 437
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72749

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 901
  • Thank you received: 615
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72765

  • the_adorbs
  • the_adorbs's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • infires man
  • Posts: 78
  • Thank you received: 63
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".
"my grandma likes me chubby so i keep eating"

click to stalk my reading life
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, LolingforJesus

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72794

  • horsegirl04
  • horsegirl04's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Posts: 1146
  • Thank you received: 437
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

But those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up on wings like eagles,
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31 :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72817

  • mittens92999
  • mittens92999's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Posts: 667
  • Thank you received: 352
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.


-15 years old
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72825

  • im a beekeeper
  • im a beekeeper's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fellow fruit loop :P
  • Posts: 401
  • Thank you received: 195
I have read it twice. I really like the book!

guidecyberclub.org/beekeeper

Become a online missionary? firstencounterministry.org/join-our-team/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72827

  • im a beekeeper
  • im a beekeeper's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fellow fruit loop :P
  • Posts: 401
  • Thank you received: 195
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
Yea. That is really what happened.

guidecyberclub.org/beekeeper

Become a online missionary? firstencounterministry.org/join-our-team/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72845

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 901
  • Thank you received: 615
im a beekeeper wrote:
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
Yea. That is really what happened.

Woow! That is a powerful testimony. SO eventually he got out because the book was published?
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72870

If anyone wants to know more about John Bunyan, you should watch the Torchlighters episode on it. I think it might be on YouTube, but make sure you spell "Torchlighters" in one word, cuz theres a series called "Torch Lighters"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #72871

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 901
  • Thank you received: 615
LolingforJesus wrote:
If anyone wants to know more about John Bunyan, you should watch the Torchlighters episode on it. I think it might be on YouTube, but make sure you spell "Torchlighters" in one word, cuz theres a series called "Torch Lighters"
Torch lighters! That is a very inspirational series :) I've watched many of those :)
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #73134

  • Marme101
  • Marme101's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Loves God, cats and blue
  • Posts: 256
  • Thank you received: 114
I read it! It was a pretty cool book. Have you read the second book?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #73136

  • LittleLadyBug
  • LittleLadyBug's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • love dinosurs oh and sleep :) class fossil
  • Posts: 411
  • Thank you received: 183
TravelPastel wrote:
im a beekeeper wrote:
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
Yea. That is really what happened.

Woow! That is a powerful testimony. SO eventually he got out because the book was published?
yes also he got arrested on his wedding day right after they got married.
All have fallen short of the glory of God our penalty is death but thanks be to God he has made a way for us!

Elena :)
#BUNNYBUNNY #thebunnymovement
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #73161

  • Cool Cat
  • Cool Cat's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I love computers and dirt bikes
  • Posts: 715
  • Thank you received: 226
Iv read it
My website: HighGearMX.simplesite.com
Dirt bikes+computers= :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #73176

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 901
  • Thank you received: 615
LittleLadyBug wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
im a beekeeper wrote:
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
Yea. That is really what happened.

Woow! That is a powerful testimony. SO eventually he got out because the book was published?
yes also he got arrested on his wedding day right after they got married.
Oh my goodness... I'm so glad he sticked with God that whole time!! Some people would give God up because they thought God wasn't there through those hard times...
Another inspiring story to help us get through our hard times!!!
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 1 week ago #73307

  • bush possum
  • bush possum's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Posts: 1000
  • Thank you received: 1168
Marme101 wrote:
I read it! It was a pretty cool book. Have you read the second book?
Do you mean Christiana? If so, I've listened to it so many times from Orion's Gate that I practically know it off by heart!!! ^_^ :lol:
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 5 days ago #74107

  • Marme101
  • Marme101's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Loves God, cats and blue
  • Posts: 256
  • Thank you received: 114
bush possum wrote:
Marme101 wrote:
I read it! It was a pretty cool book. Have you read the second book?
Do you mean Christiana? If so, I've listened to it so many times from Orion's Gate that I practically know it off by heart!!! ^_^ :lol:

Yeah, and that's neat! :cheer: I've read it once for school xD
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 5 days ago #74139

Yup! great book, along with the sequel, a fascinating way of putting the christian walk.
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 9 months 3 days ago #74795

  • TravelPastel
  • TravelPastel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Posts: 901
  • Thank you received: 615
bush possum wrote:
Marme101 wrote:
I read it! It was a pretty cool book. Have you read the second book?
Do you mean Christiana? If so, I've listened to it so many times from Orion's Gate that I practically know it off by heart!!! ^_^ :lol:
Woow! I love it when people are passionate about something like this :)
too lazy to have a fancy signature rip
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<
It's okay, you won't notice I'm gone ^O^
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 1 week ago #81804

My favorite part was the whole metaphor thing, it was really well done.
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 5 months 3 weeks ago #82506

  • jGod8865
  • jGod8865's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Pollo y Papa Frita Philippians 4:13-
  • Posts: 645
  • Thank you received: 214
I never read the book because the year my school read the book I was in a different school but a lot of my class mates and friends say it was good book. But don't watch the movie. I saw it and it was just terrible. Just take my word for it it was bad.


The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 5 months 3 weeks ago #82545

  • LittleLadyBug
  • LittleLadyBug's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • love dinosurs oh and sleep :) class fossil
  • Posts: 411
  • Thank you received: 183
jGod8865 wrote:
I never read the book because the year my school read the book I was in a different school but a lot of my class mates and friends say it was good book. But don't watch the movie. I saw it and it was just terrible. Just take my word for it it was bad.
u should read the book
All have fallen short of the glory of God our penalty is death but thanks be to God he has made a way for us!

Elena :)
#BUNNYBUNNY #thebunnymovement
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anybody read this classic? 5 months 3 weeks ago #82592

  • jGod8865
  • jGod8865's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Pollo y Papa Frita Philippians 4:13-
  • Posts: 645
  • Thank you received: 214
LittleLadyBug wrote:
jGod8865 wrote:
I never read the book because the year my school read the book I was in a different school but a lot of my class mates and friends say it was good book. But don't watch the movie. I saw it and it was just terrible. Just take my word for it it was bad.
u should read the book

Ok i'll look for the book next time I go to the library


The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: melaniebockmann
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds