Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anybody read this classic?

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72717

• mittens92999
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Thank you received: 332
Has anybody read Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan? I am in the middle of it and I wanted to know your thoughts and if you have read it. I think it's very clever, that everything is an allegory for our Christian walk.
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

-15 years old
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TravelPastel

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72720

• the_adorbs
  • infires man
  • Thank you received: 63
I've listened to a segment of it during a road trip (audio book). It sounded really good! As you said, the rhetorical strategies and literary devices that he used were very clever. I've always had it on my to-read list but I've never been able to get to it yet. I know the overall story but I want to get that wholesome experience of reading all the little details.
"my grandma likes me chubby so i keep eating"

click to stalk my reading life

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72724

• TravelPastel
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I loved you at your DARKEST ❤ Romans 5:8
  • Thank you received: 494
mittens92999 wrote:
Has anybody read Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan? I am in the middle of it and I wanted to know your thoughts and if you have read it. I think it's very clever, that everything is an allegory for our Christian walk.

I watched the movie and it was AMAZING! It was so capturing, and yes, I think it is an almost perfect allegory for the Christian walk. I highly recommend you guys to watch it, and read the book too!
Keep reading mittens! I know you'll enjoy it ;)
Rip my signature
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72741

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Thank you received: 346
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10
#IMPORTANT #STVERNOISAGRIL #HASHTAGMOVEMENT

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72749

• TravelPastel
  • NOW ONLINE
horsegirl04 wrote:
i have read the book and listened to the audio. Do you know the story behind the book?
No, I don't know it! IS there an interesting backstory?
Rip my signature
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72765

• the_adorbs
  • infires man
  • Thank you received: 63
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".
"my grandma likes me chubby so i keep eating"

click to stalk my reading life
The following user(s) said Thank You: bush possum, LolingforJesus

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72794

• horsegirl04
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I love reading, horses, and math
  • Thank you received: 346
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

There is. Basically John Bunyan lived during that time in England (mid or late 1600s?) when preaching and distributing religious work that was not part of the "Church of England" (I believe) was illegal. This was problematic, since Bunyan regularly preached the Puritan faith. He was arrested and sent to one of Britain's most notorious and horrific jails. To get out of jail he would have to tell the court that he would "stop preaching" or "stop believing" in his religion. So every year, he responded to the question "Will you promise to stop preaching..etc..?" with "No I shall not". Thus he stayed at that jail for twelve years (let's remember that he had a family---a wife and I believe two children). During those twelve years he wrote "The Pilgrim's Progress".

one day he was sleeping and he had this dream, aka Pilgrim's Progress

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10
#IMPORTANT #STVERNOISAGRIL #HASHTAGMOVEMENT

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72817

• mittens92999
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I've got peace like a river in my soul...
  • Thank you received: 332
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
2 Timothy 4:7- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

-15 years old

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72825

• im a beekeeper
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fellow fruit loop :P
  • Thank you received: 186
I have read it twice. I really like the book!

guidecyberclub.org/beekeeper

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72827

• im a beekeeper
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Fellow fruit loop :P
  • Thank you received: 186
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

What? That was said in the book. I don't think that the actual author had that dream though. That's just part of the plot.
Yea. That is really what happened.

guidecyberclub.org/beekeeper

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72845

• TravelPastel
  • NOW ONLINE
im a beekeeper wrote:
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

Woow! That is a powerful testimony. SO eventually he got out because the book was published?
Rip my signature
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72870

• LolingforJesus
  • I love God, pianos, friends, and Bible Experience
  • Thank you received: 147
If anyone wants to know more about John Bunyan, you should watch the Torchlighters episode on it. I think it might be on YouTube, but make sure you spell "Torchlighters" in one word, cuz theres a series called "Torch Lighters"

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #72871

• TravelPastel
  • NOW ONLINE
LolingforJesus wrote:
If anyone wants to know more about John Bunyan, you should watch the Torchlighters episode on it. I think it might be on YouTube, but make sure you spell "Torchlighters" in one word, cuz theres a series called "Torch Lighters"
Torch lighters! That is a very inspirational series :) I've watched many of those :)
Rip my signature
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #73134

• Marme101
  • Loves God, Cats, Blue/Lime Green and Star Wars xD
  • Thank you received: 107
I read it! It was a pretty cool book. Have you read the second book?

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #73136

• LittleLadyBug
  • love dinosurs oh and sleep :) class fossil
  • Thank you received: 180
TravelPastel wrote:
im a beekeeper wrote:
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

Woow! That is a powerful testimony. SO eventually he got out because the book was published?
yes also he got arrested on his wedding day right after they got married.
All have fallen short of the glory of God our penalty is death but thanks be to God he has made a way for us!

Elena :)
#BUNNYBUNNY #thebunnymovement

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #73161

• Cool Cat
  • I love computers and dirt bikes
  • Thank you received: 225
Iv read it
My website: HighGearMX.simplesite.com
Dirt bikes+computers= :-)

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 2 weeks ago #73176

• TravelPastel
  • NOW ONLINE
LittleLadyBug wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
im a beekeeper wrote:
mittens92999 wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:
the_adorbs wrote:
TravelPastel wrote:
horsegirl04 wrote:

yes also he got arrested on his wedding day right after they got married.
Oh my goodness... I'm so glad he sticked with God that whole time!! Some people would give God up because they thought God wasn't there through those hard times...
Another inspiring story to help us get through our hard times!!!
Rip my signature
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 1 week ago #73307

• bush possum
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aussie Fruit Loop!
  • Thank you received: 1010
Marme101 wrote:
Do you mean Christiana? If so, I've listened to it so many times from Orion's Gate that I practically know it off by heart!!! ^_^ :lol:
God allows us to feel the frailty of human love so we'll appreciate the strength of His.
~C. S. Lewis~
Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 1 week ago #74107

• Marme101
  • Loves God, Cats, Blue/Lime Green and Star Wars xD
bush possum wrote:
Marme101 wrote:
Do you mean Christiana? If so, I've listened to it so many times from Orion's Gate that I practically know it off by heart!!! ^_^ :lol:

Yeah, and that's neat! :cheer: I've read it once for school xD

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 1 week ago #74139

Yup! great book, along with the sequel, a fascinating way of putting the christian walk.
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary

Anybody read this classic? 6 months 5 days ago #74795

• TravelPastel
  • NOW ONLINE
bush possum wrote:
Marme101 wrote:
Woow! I love it when people are passionate about something like this :)
Rip my signature
=Dance Fearlessly=
#Filipino
>Pursue<

Anybody read this classic? 3 months 1 week ago #81804

My favorite part was the whole metaphor thing, it was really well done.
You just wasted your time reading this meaningless signature...

Why are you still reading?

I already told you, there's nothing interesting here.

Anybody read this classic? 2 months 3 weeks ago #82506

• jGod8865
  • NOW ONLINE
I never read the book because the year my school read the book I was in a different school but a lot of my class mates and friends say it was good book. But don't watch the movie. I saw it and it was just terrible. Just take my word for it it was bad.

Anybody read this classic? 2 months 3 weeks ago #82545

• LittleLadyBug
  • love dinosurs oh and sleep :) class fossil
  • Thank you received: 180
jGod8865 wrote:
I never read the book because the year my school read the book I was in a different school but a lot of my class mates and friends say it was good book. But don't watch the movie. I saw it and it was just terrible. Just take my word for it it was bad.
u should read the book
All have fallen short of the glory of God our penalty is death but thanks be to God he has made a way for us!

Elena :)
#BUNNYBUNNY #thebunnymovement

Anybody read this classic? 2 months 3 weeks ago #82592

• jGod8865
  • NOW ONLINE
LittleLadyBug wrote:
jGod8865 wrote:
u should read the book

Ok i'll look for the book next time I go to the library
  • Page:
Moderators: melaniebockmann
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds