Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Jacob's Children

Jacob's Children 1 year 2 months ago #111971

• dadjokes
  • Quiet feminist. Music addict. Child of God.
  • Thank you received: 47
Chapter 2 of my story on Joseph and his brothers is pending for upload. I was hoping y'all who read it could maybe tell me what you thought, critiques, advice, questions, ect. I'd really like to make a better story that's more understandable for you guys.Chapter 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lickington

Jacob's Children 1 year 2 months ago #111991

• Catchild77
  • I'm an INFJ!!
  • Thank you received: 94
dadjokes wrote:
Chapter 2 of my story on Joseph and his brothers is pending for upload. I was hoping y'all who read it could maybe tell me what you thought, critiques, advice, questions, ect. I'd really like to make a better story that's more understandable for you guys.Chapter 1

One of the first things that I liked about your story was your use of a metaphor at the beginning: "Leah sat in a sea of wheat." It's very difficult to come up with original metaphors and you chose a great one to describe the largeness of the field in comparison to Leah.

I also liked that you shared what Leah was feeling in that moment: "She was tired of being excluded. Against her will, this was the family that she was stuck with."
This is an excellent frame for the beginning of your story and where you want to carry it in the future; the source of Leah's inner and outer conflict, which involves family.

One suggestion that I had which could be helpful would be to separate lines of dialogue. For example:
Simeon asked, "Why can't little Levi come with us?"
Reuben looked at his brother and laughed. "He's too young, Simeon, don't you know that already?"

I think that it would help your readers to tell different characters' words apart.
Please, let me know if this advice is helpful! I hope that I haven't said too much at once! You're a very talented writer!
Writing is one of the best ways to explore the world around you.

"Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass." Rupert Brooke

Love is one of the greatest adventures that you'll ever lead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoyBaker, dadjokes

Jacob's Children 1 year 2 months ago #112011

• dadjokes
Catchild77 wrote:
dadjokes wrote:

One of the first things that I liked about your story was your use of a metaphor at the beginning: "Leah sat in a sea of wheat." It's very difficult to come up with original metaphors and you chose a great one to describe the largeness of the field in comparison to Leah.

I also liked that you shared what Leah was feeling in that moment: "She was tired of being excluded. Against her will, this was the family that she was stuck with."
This is an excellent frame for the beginning of your story and where you want to carry it in the future; the source of Leah's inner and outer conflict, which involves family.

One suggestion that I had which could be helpful would be to separate lines of dialogue. For example:
Simeon asked, "Why can't little Levi come with us?"
Reuben looked at his brother and laughed. "He's too young, Simeon, don't you know that already?"

I think that it would help your readers to tell different characters' words apart.
Please, let me know if this advice is helpful! I hope that I haven't said too much at once! You're a very talented writer!

No, everything was really helpful. I really look to apply the advice that is given, to make a better story! <3

Jacob's Children 1 year 1 month ago #112158

• dadjokes

Jacob's Children 1 year 1 month ago #112165

• dadjokes
dadjokes wrote: \

I'm sorry, I had to retract it because of a mistake with one of the character's names. It's pending for release again.

Jacob's Children 1 year 1 month ago #112202

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
  • Thank you received: 482
dadjokes wrote:
dadjokes wrote: \

I'm sorry, I had to retract it because of a mistake with one of the character's names. It's pending for release again.
No worries. I'm enjoying your series, btw!
melancholic/sanguine ~ infp 4 ~ rluan

<> <> <>

old soul, free spirit, and moderate pluviophile

"what's past is prologue." - william shakespeare

Jacob's Children 1 year 1 month ago #112324

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
Hi dadjokes! Today I was learning about the story of Joseph and thought I'd give you some tips on avoiding some mistakes that people often make when telling the story of Joseph.

1. Joseph was a spoiled brat. (Seriously, with all that favoritism he received, it's no wonder)
2. He was a tattletale. (Genesis 37:2 says: "At seventeen years of age, Joseph tended sheep with his brothers. The young man was working with the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah, his father’s wives, and he brought a bad report about them to their father.")
3. He was boastful. (He didn't need to rub it in his brothers' faces about those dreams he got)
4. When his brothers came from their home to Egypt to get food, Joseph might not have forgiven them completely yet. (Note how he treats them at first when they come. It isn't until after he realizes that they've changed that he is finally nice to them.)

I hope this helps make your book even more realistic when you get to the Joseph parts. I'm excited to see how you'll depict the different characters! Honestly, I had never really thought of them as unique, individual people until I started reading Jacob's Children.

<> <> <>

The following user(s) said Thank You: dadjokes

Jacob's Children 1 year 1 month ago #112552

• dadjokes
I'm in a different time zone that my usual right now. Just put Chapter 4 up.

Chapter 3

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113417

• dadjokes
NEW QUESTION!
First, in the writing section of the talent showcase Chapter 4 is out.
Second, the question. In terms of the story, it's mostly been short stories introducing the family and personalities of some of them. I've also been doing a lot of bible research about the tribes which gave me ideas for how to form their character using my *Creative Liberty*. It's likely that I will start digging into some plots starting with dealing with moving (Genesis 31) and their take on Jacob's change to Israel. Debating whether or not to write about Genesis 34.

Any suggestions?

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113456

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
  • Thank you received: 707
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!
Second, the question. In terms of the story, it's mostly been short stories introducing the family and personalities of some of them. I've also been doing a lot of bible research about the tribes which gave me ideas for how to form their character using my *Creative Liberty*. It's likely that I will start digging into some plots starting with dealing with moving (Genesis 31) and their take on Jacob's change to Israel. Debating whether or not to write about Genesis 34.

Any suggestions?
Write about chapter 34.

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113462

• Catchild77
  • I'm an INFJ!!
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
Hi dadjokes! I'm really looking forward to reading Chapter 4 of your story in the Talent Showcase! :cheer:
I think that researching Biblical tribes is a great idea!
It's a superb way of gaining more insights into the lives and cultural backgrounds of your characters: who they would have known, how large their families were, and expected social customs for each family member.
If you decide to write about Genesis 34, I would be careful not to include details which could be very graphic or disturbing for younger audiences.
This is just a friendly suggestion. Not matter what you decide, I know that you'll do a great job!

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113463

• Catchild77
  • I'm an INFJ!!
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
P.S. "Creative Liberty," is such a great phrase! How did you come up with it? :)

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113471

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Thank you received: 275
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
Ooh. That's tough. I'd say go for it, since there are some valuable lessons in chapter 34. Plus, it will help with character-building, and showing why there wasn't a tribe of Levi or Simeon.
But, if you don't feel comfortable writing it, you could skip it.
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113479

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
Ooh. That's tough. I'd say go for it, since there are some valuable lessons in chapter 34. Plus, it will help with character-building, and showing why there wasn't a tribe of Levi or Simeon.
There was a tribe of Simeon. And Levi wasn't a tribe for different reasons.

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113492

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
My bad. There is a tribe of Simeon.
But I’ll have to study why Levi wasn’t a tribe. I know Jacob didn’t give him or Simeon because they were rash and violent . . .
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113505

• dadjokes
Catchild77 wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
P.S. "Creative Liberty," is such a great phrase! How did you come up with it? :)

idk my mom uses it a lot when we're watching some bible movie that's not completely "Biblically accurate". Or the writers added stuff that wasn't necessarily in the bible. I don't know where she got it from...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catchild77

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113514

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
BookwormJo wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
But I’ll have to study why Levi wasn’t a tribe. I know Jacob didn’t give him or Simeon because they were rash and violent . . .
From what I've read, Jacob was told that he should tithe his sons. He counted his sons and Levi came up tenth.
Personally, I think there is a more reasonable explanation than that, but I won't dismiss this claim.

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113536

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
BookwormJo wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?
Oof. I meant .´didn’t give him or Simeon a blessing’ . .

#greatmindsthinkalike

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113545

BookwormJo wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?

So wait, who does the tribe "Levites" come from?

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113567

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?

The Levites weren't a tribe. In fact, the tribes of Levi and Joseph were replaced with Mannaseh and Ephraim. Plus, the Levites received no inheritance in the Promised Land.

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113604

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?

Levi.

<> <> <>

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113637

sci_geeek wrote:
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
Khriz Kool Katz wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:
dadjokes wrote:
NEW QUESTION!

Any suggestions?

Levi.

So why do you have to study why Levi isnt a tribe?

Jacob's Children 1 year 4 weeks ago #113644

• Khriz Kool Katz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Katz are Kool. Period.
Y'all need to pay attention to your Sabbath School teacher :side:

Jacob's Children 1 year 3 weeks ago #113668

• sci_geeek
  • NOW ONLINE
  • #greatmindsthinkalike
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:

Levi.

But isn't Levi a tribe? Sorry, my Sabbath school doesn't talk about those Bible stories anymore, we just talk about fixing modern-life problems with a Biblical approach and whatnot. Khriz, do you know about this Levi-tribe-thingamajiggy?

<> <> <>

Jacob's Children 1 year 3 weeks ago #113691

sci_geeek wrote:
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
sci_geeek wrote:
Alyssa4Jesus wrote:
BookwormJo wrote:

Levi.

But isn't Levi a tribe? Sorry, my Sabbath school doesn't talk about those Bible stories anymore, we just talk about fixing modern-life problems with a Biblical approach and whatnot. Khriz, do you know about this Levi-tribe-thingamajiggy?

I'm not Khriz but i do know a bit... anyways I found this on the internet:

According to the Bible, the Tribe of Levi is one of the tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from Levi, son of Jacob. The descendants of Aaron, who was the first kohen gadol (high priest) of Israel, were designated as the priestly class, the Kohanim.

The levites were also the first to step forward I believe when they asked about which side are you on when they made the idol in the desert when Moses went for the commandments which is also why they are the preists
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds