Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: are people on guide sheltered

50% of people sheltered 3 27.3%
70% of people sheltered 3 27.3%
90% of people sheltered 4 36.4%
40% or under 1 9.1%
Total number of voters: 11 ( Kwesi, angel1, Going4God, Violingirl1, jesusROCKS1234 ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: are people on guide sheltered

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 10 months ago #42054

• godsgreat
  • GODSKID
  • Thank you received: 120
maybe if your like me whenever you read a discussion topic go into the chat room you feel like 50% or more of people on guide are really really sheltered

sheltered as in shelter from the outside world
I AM ..................AWESOME
The administrator has disabled public write access.

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 10 months ago #42205

• pk96
  • Thank you received: 4
Let me ask you, "What is Sheltered?"
I think that a balance needs to be struck between awareness and exposure.
I grew up in a home that some could consider "sheltered", however I was made aware of what was out there.
I think it's a super-hard balance to strike for parents that care.

As my dad once said "You don't need to eat garbage to know what good food tastes like..."
Later on, in my Adventist Academy experience, I was asked "Do you resent being 'sheltered'?" The answer was: "Not really". I wish I had been more prepared for some things, but my parents did their best to prep me. Not exposing me unnecessarily, but making me aware of the dangers of a sinful world.
I am very grateful today, for the way my parents have raised me. I was a little shocked at times (to be honest), but it made me appreciate all the more, a loving, caring, and safe environment. I realize that there is so many messed up people, families, and things out there as I got older.

My family wasn't perfect, but provided to their best efforts a place I could (and still) feel proud to invite church friends over and the like, and call it my home. As you get older, hold to as high a standard as you can, even if you're the only one seemingly doing so.

There does need to be an acknowledgement as you get older of the harsh realities we face, and the choices will rest more and more with you (as they should), but don't ridicule anyone or point out that they are "sheltered" in a demeaning manner. We can appreciate instead, the belief and innocence of such individuals, and when necessary (not unnecessarily) gently show them that life is hard because of sin, but that it is a reality we don't have to accept, because we were and are (in Christ) destined for a better fate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quirky, honeyflower

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 10 months ago #42210

• InspiredThinker
  • NOW ONLINE
  • He changed my life and now I'm free
  • Thank you received: 1208
I'm not sure this was the best way to ask this question. The wording and poll choices are more likely to lead to arguing.
Speak up, judge righteously, and defend the cause of the needy and oppressed.
-Proverbs 31:6

#LetUsBeDissatisfied
#BlackLivesMatter

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 10 months ago #42503

• godsgreat
  • GODSKID
how would you word it then?

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 8 months ago #43682

• Quirky
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2911
I guess i'm not too sheltered compared to some kids I know. but on the other hand maybe I am, compared to other kids I know. it all depends on who you compare me to, I guess. I mean, I might go to the mall where there are posters and stuff of immodestly dressed women there (that I DO NOT look, of course..that'd be weird) and some parents may think that doing that is detrimental to my salvation. however, I know parents who kind of let their kids roam around the city, unsure of where their child is, and I think that's kind of...creepy (for lack of a better word). but who am I to judge? i'll just say that I am a child who's parents kinda sorta know what they're doing and who serve a God who knows EXACTLY what He is doing :)

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 8 months ago #43723

• jesusROCKS1234
  • #bluelivesmatter #IDontKneel
  • Thank you received: 166
I said probably 90% are. A lot of people on here are home schooled or go to a private school where they are protected from the real world and when they finally get a taste of the world they freak out. It's annoying when they complain about how kissing a girl before marriage is wrong. They don't understand that's its all part of growing up to be attracted to the other sex and have thoughts about kissing them and what not. I don't go to a Adventist school and probably never will considering im going to be finishing public high school in another three years. Now i'm not saying everyone on here is sheltered nor am I saying Adventist/homeschooling is bad. It's just its annoying when I see people complaining about how the Lego movie is satanic or how your going to hell if you listen to rock and roll or hip hop.
#bluelivesmatter #Idontkneel
The following user(s) said Thank You: godsgreat

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 8 months ago #43896

• Quirky
  • I LOVE writing, and ummm, writing..oh! and writing
  • Thank you received: 2911
@jesusROCKS,

I'm not being sensitive right now, just a heads up because I know you posted a new topic about how we homeschooled and church school kids are too sheltered and sensitive . Home schoolers are NOT as sheltered as you think. We actually go outside, and see cars and the sun and people. We live in the 'real world' just like you, if not more. We aren't kept inside of a four wall classroom almost every weekday for 8 hours. We aren't constantly told to stop socializing with other humans. We can go to the mall at 10 o'clock in the morning and not worry about missing a class or not getting things done. Yes, our parents may 'shelter' us from drugs and alcohol and that 'awkward subject' but guest what? I'm actually happy to not be exposed to AIDS, overdose and jail every day. I don't want to be pressured into doing something dumb with some random guy on a regular basis. No, I'm not going to kiss until my wedding day because I don't need 'practice' for it and I have a feeling that if I do get married before Jesus comes back I will be all the more glad that I didn't waste myself on other guys who weren't worth it.

If this comes across as sensitive and sheltered to you then sorry, but I would just like you to get a glimpse of the type of world that isn't confined to a large school building.

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 8 months ago #43912

• godsgreat
  • GODSKID
thats exactly what i meant it just bothers me like the lego movie topic for instance

are people on guide sheltered 2 years 7 months ago #44606

@ Jesus Rocks ive been homeschooled all my life but im certainly not sheltered ive seen the world at its worst, and I might even be a little less sheltered than some public school students. Also just because some people " freak out doesn't mean they are sheltered, maybe they have good reasons for it.
"Some wish to live within the sound of a chapel bell, I wish to run a rescue mission within a yard of hell." -- C.T Studd 20th century missionary
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by notturningaside.
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds