Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs?

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99029

I've heard older people at my church say that if a song isn't explicitly about God, or not from a Christian group, then it's not appropriate. But what do you guys think? What I'm mainly wondering is:

1. Do you it's ok if a song is about God, but not from a Christian band?

2. What about songs that can be interpreted as being about God, but aren't directly saying it?

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SGirven

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99030

• emmykitty
  • :)
  • Thank you received: 688
Well, surprise surprise to the older people, many of our hymns' tunes are originated from drinking songs :/
Also we play a lot of classical music which isn't really about God most of the time but since it's old it's okay. So I wonder if in 200-500 years (if somehow we're still here) we'll be singing things like Take on Me and Never Gonna Give You Up in church.

Also I've heard that Twenty One Pilots and Coldplay can have some of their songs interpreted in a Christian way, but I'm not entirely sure.

According to the comments of this video, STRYPER, Skillet and Demon Hunter are pretty good Christian Metal bands, if you want to check them out.
.•♫•♬•Love is friendship set to music.•♫•♬•
#MAINEMMYS

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99034

• SGirven
  • Human. Writer. Latino. Photographer.
  • Thank you received: 245
Maybe my opinion is an unpopular opinion? IDK

1. I would say that if a song is about God, but it isn't from a Christian band/group, I would probably look over the lyrics and make sure that the lyrics aren't saying something bad about God, pushing a hidden meaning, that kind of stuff.

2. Interpreted about God...hmm. If you look in the hymnal, each song in one way or another, has a direct connection to God. Even the "Amens" have a direct connection, as in different situations, it can mean "So Be It" or "Praise God". So I would tread softly if I was going to try to draw the conclusion that a song is indirectly saying something about God, because you can do that with any song.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Discord: sgir.v#7196

IG: sgir.v

“We are not to deny the authority of the human senses and understanding, although weak, but rather furnish them with assistance.” -Sir Francis Bacon
The following user(s) said Thank You: BookwormJo

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99048

• SkeleBoy10
  • In time I will leave the city
  • Thank you received: 144
So I don't listen to much Christian music, but there are some bands/groups I listen to that are Christian; if that makes sense.
For me personally I listen to songs about God, or relating to God, on Sabbaths. Usually instrumentation of piano and strings, maybe some guitar too. That way the music is focused on the lyrics and you can get a message out of it, as well as a nice tone and feeling. I'd recommend songs by Selah or if you're into choir check out Grep Gilpin.
Personally I choose to listen to these kinds of songs on the Sabbath mainly because they are centered around God and are more just nice and pleasant experiences to listen to. It keeps the mood of the Sabbath there. Whereas something that is more mainstream but does talk about God feels more like something I'd listen to during the week to get a little nugget of a reminder about God, you feel me? I wouldn't exactly need that on the Sabbath, but during the week, like during school for example, getting those little reminders about God and what faith means are pretty cool.

As for the second question, it kind of comes down to interpretation. But to me, I know that some songs by Twenty one Pilots and Paramore make more sense when you relate it to God.
For Twenty one Pilots, songs like Holding On To You, Clear, The Run and Go, Addict With A Pen, Doubt, and Goner all seem to have a much richer message when you put it in context of God, and they've also been very open about their faith in interviews and things like that - it's really interesting.

For Paramore, the songs Let The Flames Begin and Part II are meant to go together regardless of message. However, looking at themes in these songs, you'll find that they're about wanting God to ignite your desires to be with Him, symbolized by fire. It's basically like the Oshkosh song Faith on Fire - it's the same idea.
Also, if you watch the live performances of these songs, you'll find that the singer, Hayley Williams, adds an outro to Let The Flames Begin that isn't in the studio recording. In this outro she lays down and sings, "Oh, Father, my Jesus. Father, well, I am ready. Won't you let it begin? Cause I am here now, I want to dance in the mighty palm of Your hand. So let Your glory and mercy shine." It's a really intimate moment when she sings this and you can tell that it does come from a deep passion in her.

So I do believe there are songs and groups that have songs about faith and God and religion in general, even without outright saying so. Or even if it's not intended, it adds a richer message, if that's your thing.
Paramore again has really passionate rock music, Twenty One Pilots have heartfelt lyrics, and emmykitty said so before, but Skillet has some solid head-bangers too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: endershadow112

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99064

• jGod8865
  • BRUH
  • Thank you received: 547
endershadow112 wrote:
I've heard older people at my church say that if a song isn't explicitly about God, or not from a Christian group, then it's not appropriate. But what do you guys think? What I'm mainly wondering is:

2. What about songs that can be interpreted as being about God, but aren't directly saying it?

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Communism is the best way to go.

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99065

• jGod8865
  • BRUH
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99070

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 649
jGod8865 wrote:
same. Have you ever listened to heavy metal gospel? Idk it just sounds crazy
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99074

• SGirven
  • Human. Writer. Latino. Photographer.
  • Thank you received: 245
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jGod8865 wrote:

Agreed. Heavy metal doesn't feel christian

Discord: sgir.v#7196

IG: sgir.v

“We are not to deny the authority of the human senses and understanding, although weak, but rather furnish them with assistance.” -Sir Francis Bacon

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 2 years 8 months ago #99079

• jGod8865
  • BRUH
pathfinder4ever wrote:
jGod8865 wrote:

I mean i would not listen to heavy metal, in general, its just not my cup of tea.

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 1 year 9 months ago #101583

• BookwormJo
  • NOW ONLINE
  • I'm indescribable.
  • Thank you received: 275
endershadow112 wrote:

I'm not sure. I think as long as the song is directing your mind to praising God, then it's okay to listen to it. Personally, I like to research the lyrics of a song before I start listening to it so that I don't get attached to it if it has bad lyrics.
Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Bethel Kids, and TIM #2 have upbeat Christian songs that my family and I like listening to. You could check them out.
“Pray and pray and pray, and if that doesn’t work, listen to what God is telling you to do!” -- random 5 year old.

#greatmindsthinkalike
Warning: anything you say can -- and probably will -- be used as writing inspiration

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 1 year 9 months ago #101744

• pathfinder4ever
  • NOW ONLINE
  • don’t click my profile.. Philippians 4:13
  • Thank you received: 649
I listen to mainly gospel genre music on Sabbath. I love pianist/organ covers-
People like Cory Henry and Jayden Arnold are really amazing. Kingsboro Temple SDA also has a great band, along with the oakwood uni music departments, Pine Forge, and even Fountain View Academy. Some other SDA artists are Stephen Manders, Dale Brown and Truth, the Chitans, the Foster triplets, and many others.
Richard Smallwood, Kirk Franklin, Tye Tribett, Israel Hougton and Donnie Mcklurkin are awesome too. What are you guys favorites?
Speak for those who have no voice.
Red and yellow...black and white.... We're all precious in His sight....❤️
Any questions? Ask!
-kash (aka pathfinder4ever)

What do you think are appropriate sabbath songs? 1 year 8 months ago #101788

• Annexator
  • Should I change my profile pic?
  • Thank you received: 11
The Chitans keep their stuff on our property!! :silly: :lol: :silly: :lol: :whistle:
What do I type here?

Discord: TR4VL3R#4493

(finally figured out how to use bbcode)
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds