Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: No Entry

No Entry 1 year 11 months ago #2104

• BerryGirl13
  • My favorite color is pink, I like baking & drawing
  • Thank you received: 398
teenpromdresskkk.jpg

A senior at a Tennessee high school got turned away from her prom when she showed up in a custom-made Confederate flag dress.

Texanna Edwards, 18, of Trenton, Tenn., said she wasn't allowed inside Gibson County High School's prom on Saturday because officials deemed the knee-length red dress trimmed with the stars and bars was "offensive and inappropriate," she told the Tennessean.

The controversial flag is seen as a symbol of slavery-era racism by many, though others believe it stands for the heritage of the South.

"We asked why they thought that, but they kept saying the same thing over and over," Edwards said. "We kept asking people walking inside -- black and white -- and everyone said they loved it. Two black women even went off on the principal. They were upset with the principal. No one was upset with me."

School officials, however, said a teacher warned Edwards two months ago that the dress might be problematic. The teacher, who served as prom sponsor, suggested to Edwards in February that she should clear the idea with the principal, but Edwards did not do so, according to Eddie Pruett, director of schools for the Gibson County School System.

Race-related issues have occurred at Gibson County High School in recent years, Pruett said, and Principal James Hughes thought Edwards’ dress could have caused a problem.

"She was told because of the dress and what it would look like, it would be considered inappropriate,” Pruett told the newspaper. "She had talked with the prom sponsor and they told her it would be inappropriate. ... I feel like Hughes followed legal precedents set by other court cases. Students have legal rights, and we don’t infringe upon those. But we have to follow legal precedents, and if there is a reason to believe something could happen, we don’t wait until after the fact to do something."

Attempts by FoxNews.com to reach Edwards Wednesday were not successful.
"I would rather be a sorrowful christian than a jolly fool."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: No Entry 1 year 11 months ago #2218

• Daze
  • In posts I am a Supercentenarian
  • Thank you received: 282
Strange mabey the people grew up during the civil rights movement so they are sesitive to that stuff. Still Edwards was warned that the dress was problematic so he just shouldn't of let his daughter wear it. I have always hated the the confederacy flag anyways :S ...
The law of God, enshrined within the ark, was the great rule of righteousness and judgment. That law pronounced death upon the transgressor; but above the law was the mercy seat, upon which the presence of God was revealed, and from which, by virtue of the atonement, pardon was granted to the...
The following user(s) said Thank You: BerryGirl13, piggl3t

Re: No Entry 1 year 11 months ago #2239

• JunkMonkey
  • "She has no idea the effect she can have."
  • Thank you received: 62
Sure, doesn't look inappropriate to me. But, i do respect other peoples opinions.
"Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear." -President Snow
"You better run now, Fire Girl." -Thresh
The following user(s) said Thank You: BerryGirl13, SDAhorseGirl
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds
Where Christian kids have fun! GuideMagazine.org is a ministry of Guide magazine, a Christian story magazine for children published by
the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Guide publishes nonfiction stories that show children ages 10-14 how to walk with God now and forever.